The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 September 2022, 12:32 AM   #31
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Michael did any Mystic? Of Kors not. It's a Cartier:

I've always been a "watch half full" kind of optimist.

Old 6 September 2022, 12:50 AM   #32
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Lets post up the best Cartier watches wrist shots. This thread needs some cartier love.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 01:23 AM   #33
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Style View Post
Cartier produced the first ever wristwatch.
They produced the first wristwatch known to be marketed to men. I think they were about 100 years late to the "first wristwatch" prize though. Breguet has records of servicing Napoleon's cousin's wristwatch in the early 1800's.

This whole "first wristwatch" myth seems to be popping up a lot recently, along with insane levels of hype for the Cartier Santos. Whatever the Cartier marketing department is doing, it's working.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 01:52 AM   #34
trichard3000
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
Lets post up the best Cartier watches wrist shots. This thread needs some cartier love.
Here’s my 40mm Ronde Must. I think it’s a great, simple, understated reference. The dial looks cream colored in this picture but it’s really more white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4F020C1C-6C8C-4E26-9D56-E1A0944D5594.jpeg (26.4 KB, 218 views)
trichard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 05:53 AM   #35
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Most of the 78 other posts from the OP are also quite funny.

Old 6 September 2022, 05:59 AM   #36
opresso
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Which does not belong? Fossil / Invicta / Michael Kors / Diesel / Cartier.....lol. You have to be kidding me on this post. Cartier is a respectable brand and very nice watch. It is a gold bar in the stack of turds you listed.
opresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 06:55 AM   #37
Grand Style
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
They produced the first wristwatch known to be marketed to men. I think they were about 100 years late to the "first wristwatch" prize though. Breguet has records of servicing Napoleon's cousin's wristwatch in the early 1800's.

This whole "first wristwatch" myth seems to be popping up a lot recently, along with insane levels of hype for the Cartier Santos. Whatever the Cartier marketing department is doing, it's working.
Good stuff 👍
Grand Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 08:03 AM   #38
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Somebody needs to do some actual research lol Cartier literally invented the wristwatch

Here is my Diesel wannabe

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 09:41 AM   #39
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I have mixed feelings about Cartier. They make some very nice watches, many of which are excellently designed. Cartier's entry-level pieces are nice and of good quality, but they are mostly designer watches (from one of the best names in the business). And that's OK. Cartier has terrific designers.

Most of their movements are rather pedestrian and not very well decorated or finished, which is fine, but is still an important data point. So except for their halo pieces and some others far up the food chain, Cartier receives way more credit due to its design (case and dial) and long standing reputation as compared to its horological substance. Go look at a Pasha display back or hunt down the movement of a Calibre de Cartier. They are fine, but by no means special, nor would we expect too much specialness at that price point. Frankly, they’d be better off without display backs. And the Cartier motif across the movements on some display back pieces is outright cheesy IMO.

The Cartier Crash and some others are big time look-at-me watches that trade on their name and immediate recognizability as opposed to their horological substance (although the skeletonized pieces seem very nice). Again, that's fine, but it's important to recognize them for what they are.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:04 AM   #40
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Most of the old Cartiers had very pedestrian movements. Some of them were rather rough looking if you're used to high horology by the likes of PP, VC, AP or even IWC, Rolex.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:40 AM   #41
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
Most of the old Cartiers had very pedestrian movements. Some of them were rather rough looking if you're used to high horology by the likes of PP, VC, AP or even IWC, Rolex.
Their equivalent pricing though is quite different than Patek or VC though. Wife wants a gold Patek or Cartier. She likes the calatrava 7200 but when I look at the gold cartiers, I'm like hmm can save a pretty penny going Cartier. no idea how their high end lines are finished but in videos they look pretty cool designs.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 02:39 PM   #42
K12123
"TRF" Member

K12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:39 PM   #43
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Their equivalent pricing though is quite different than Patek or VC though. Wife wants a gold Patek or Cartier. She likes the calatrava 7200 but when I look at the gold cartiers, I'm like hmm can save a pretty penny going Cartier. no idea how their high end lines are finished but in videos they look pretty cool designs.
I think it largely comes down to the question of: Does your wife want a gold timepiece, or a piece of gold jewelry that tells time?

If it's the latter, no question, Cartier is going to be the better value (mainly because she values what it is Cartier is charging for). If it's the former, then not sure how ultimately satisfying it'll be. However, as a total aside, check out JLC, too.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 12:29 AM   #44
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
I have mixed feelings about Cartier. They make some very nice watches, many of which are excellently designed. Cartier's entry-level pieces are nice and of good quality, but they are mostly designer watches (from one of the best names in the business). And that's OK. Cartier has terrific designers.

Most of their movements are rather pedestrian and not very well decorated or finished, which is fine, but is still an important data point. So except for their halo pieces and some others far up the food chain, Cartier receives way more credit due to its design (case and dial) and long standing reputation as compared to its horological substance. Go look at a Pasha display back or hunt down the movement of a Calibre de Cartier. They are fine, but by no means special, nor would we expect too much specialness at that price point. Frankly, they’d be better off without display backs. And the Cartier motif across the movements on some display back pieces is outright cheesy IMO.

The Cartier Crash and some others are big time look-at-me watches that trade on their name and immediate recognizability as opposed to their horological substance (although the skeletonized pieces seem very nice). Again, that's fine, but it's important to recognize them for what they are.
No watch can be everything to everyone. Sure their entry level pieces used ETA ebouches or more recently, in house movements with an average level of finish. However, if one looks at the entry level pieces from other brands, its really not that different...IWC used ETA movements for decades, as did Omega (except in the Speedy Pro), Breitling, Tudor etc. I think Cartier offered a good value relative to their cost.

Other watches higher up in their food chain, used movements from very respected brands such as Piaget, JLC, F.Piguet (same base movement used in the 38 mm Pasha chrono, as in the original RO and Overseas chronographs, but 1/3 the MSRP), THA, and EWC a very long time ago.

Personally, I think their watches represent a tremendous value. Look at one a basic Patek Calatrava costs today. Not much R&D in their basic models, cal 324SC has been around for a long time! Back in the early 2000s Calatravas were 10L or less and one could get a 35% discount on them all day long. Now the cheapest model is $30,750 and some models are nearly $40K. It's well finished, but talk about watches with prices inflated by social media and hype (and I say that as someone who likes Patek, and my Dad has owned several and still has a few). While one can purchase a new large manual wind Tank LC in rose gold for under $13K.

I think you are selling Cartier short, especially their now discontinued CPCP watches from 1998 - 2008. Their Jump hour/day/night watch was stunning and had an interesting design and movement. In addition, their Tortue single pusher chronograph has a very impressive movement designed by THA (back when Maximilian Busser and Vianney Halter before going out on their own). I know a lot of high end collectors who are generally into Patek, Lange, etc who have added those to their collections.

Cartier may not be for everyone, but it's definitely not a fashion brand as the original poster had suggested.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 03:41 AM   #45
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I currently own a Patek Philippe, Rolex 14060M, and am wearing my Cartier Tank Francaise in 18 K W. G. Cartier is either the second or third largest producer of watches. Who wears Cartier, John F Kennedy for one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 05:45 AM   #46
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Who wears Cartier, John F Kennedy for one.
I thought that was just because he sparkly discarded the personally engraved YG DD allegedly gifted him by Marilyn Monroe .
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 11:33 AM   #47
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgives View Post
Cartier sucks. The world sucks. Elephant seals suck. Elon Musk sucks. Ducks suck. Sucking sucks. And yes, YOU, my friend, suck. It all sucks. Sucky sucky suck suck. Full disclosure: I suck.
Feel better now?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 11:22 PM   #48
Reign
"TRF" Member

Cartier make great watches - great dial and shape designs + good use of other materials in their cases and movements.

Their weak point is movement finishing, particularly for their skeletons that are all machine beveled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote