The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 September 2022, 10:33 AM   #1
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Nomos Tangente Sport..Too big on me ?

Be honest. I can’t believe I’m asking if a Nomos is too big considering their lineup.

Anyway , I like this watch and I was offered it for a hefty discount from an AD. I have nothing in this Bauhaus style, like the width of it, and think it would be a strap monster.

That being said, it’s big. I usually can pull off a 42 easily, but the lugs protrude enormously and make it seem bigger. I could always go with an Ahoi that is similar , but it’s non stock, and the discount on that one isn’t even close to this.

So….what ya think ? Could I pull it off? A little big? Looks circus clown huge ? Let me have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 11:04 AM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

How do you feel about it?

Rules don't really apply anymore, there are only guidelines to help you discover your own feelings.

Women, for example, wear all sorts of sizes. Why not men?

The watch looks great. Big but not clownish. If you know you'll wear it, then get it and enjoy.

If you have some doubts, then the Ahoi or club campus or a bunch of other Nomos watches will be perfect.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 11:36 AM   #3
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
How do you feel about it?

Rules don't really apply anymore, there are only guidelines to help you discover your own feelings.

Women, for example, wear all sorts of sizes. Why not men?

The watch looks great. Big but not clownish. If you know you'll wear it, then get it and enjoy.

If you have some doubts, then the Ahoi or club campus or a bunch of other Nomos watches will be perfect.
I appreciate the post. Honestly, I'm right on the bubble. I've been wearing a GS SBGM221 lately at 39mm so maybe it's skewed my judgement. I frequently wear a 42 Pelagos LHD (I thinks it's 42, maybe 41), but it doesn't seem near as big. Maybe it's because there is so much more dial without the diving bezel (and the aforementioned lugs).

I know we like to say "who cares what other may think", and I agree, but I also like to solicit the opinion of others who also appreciate the hobby. What's hard is the AD is very small, so they don't have a ton of other models by which to compare. Although I have smaller wrist (7.25), I have a bit of a muscular top half so I could probably pull it off.

Maybe I'll wait to see the Ahoi I like, but like I said, the AD got pretty aggressive with price. It might be worth checking out the Tangomat GMT as well, a no date GMT sounds heavenly.
Old 9 September 2022, 12:14 PM   #4
gsg
"TRF" Member

7.25" is not a small wrist, if that is what you meant. I think you can pull a 42mm watch.
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 12:18 PM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Looks too big to me. Thin bezel around watch face makes the watch look bigger.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 03:54 PM   #6
BobtheBaby
"TRF" Member

It does not look massive, but do the lugs overhang? I think it is the illusion with the dinner plate dial, especially in the white.
BobtheBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 04:52 PM   #7
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Pictures like this never reflect reality , taken that in to account I think the watch looks perfect on you.
And of course, if you have been wearing a small watch a big one will always take some time to adjust too. It's the same when going from big to small.
Than that baby watch will look strange for a day or so.
Old 9 September 2022, 07:20 PM   #8
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Needs a mirror shot to know for sure.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 07:28 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Case size is fine but the lugs look really long. What's the lug-to-lug length? 50+mm?
Old 9 September 2022, 07:57 PM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Looks too big to me. Thin bezel around watch face makes the watch look bigger.
This.

I prefer "dressier" watches with a thin bezel like this Nomos to have a smaller case size than my sports watches. In terms of how big a watch looks on the wrist the dial size matters as much as the case size to me.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 09:32 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like it and it does look larger, it is not too large. Better pictures from a distance would help. For what the watch costs could you not buy it as a fun watch and just go on with it?
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 10:01 PM   #12
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Looks big to me
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 10:05 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
We need a picture from further away to tell how it actually looks
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 11:22 PM   #14
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Not pertaining to watches but more to clothing or other "stuff," I used to sometimes be seduced by a good deal, but it was never worth it in the long run if I didn't feel it was quite right when I bought it. So if you think you're trying to talk yourself into this because the deal is good, but you think the size/look isn't quite right, I'd bail. Many on here (not me) have a sizable collection, so if something isn't quite right about the look of a watch, it won't get chosen to wear.

That said, it's hard to tell from the picture.
Old 9 September 2022, 11:33 PM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t get that brands lug profile , too long imho
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 11:38 PM   #16
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
The view posted where you're looking at the watch from a foot away on your wrist always makes watches look bigger than they are on the wrist. You are the only person who ever sees it from that vantage point the rest of the world sees it from a distance. I always look at the watch in the mirror from a few feet away to get a better idea of how it actually fits and how the world sees it.

That said it's probably a pass for you since you're already thinking and worried about it. If you're not sure then don't pull the trigger.
Old 10 September 2022, 01:45 AM   #17
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Case size is fine but the lugs look really long. What's the lug-to-lug length? 50+mm?
Yes...

It's a whopping 52.3

The lugs are an integral part of Nomos' design, but they can take up an entire wrist even with a smaller case size. Like I said, I have zero problem with a lot of 42's. I even have a Zulu Time on deposit that is 43 (which I might not buy depending on trying it on).
Old 10 September 2022, 01:56 AM   #18
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Not pertaining to watches but more to clothing or other "stuff," I used to sometimes be seduced by a good deal, but it was never worth it in the long run if I didn't feel it was quite right when I bought it. So if you think you're trying to talk yourself into this because the deal is good, but you think the size/look isn't quite right, I'd bail. Many on here (not me) have a sizable collection, so if something isn't quite right about the look of a watch, it won't get chosen to wear.

That said, it's hard to tell from the picture.
Solid take @Chiboy

I grew up lower middle class, so "value" is something that was ingrained in me since youth.

That being said there is nothing with less value than an item that sits regardless of the initial discount.

However, I like more than the price. I love the design. I love the dial. I love the bigger date (although I refer no date). I love that I have nothing like it in my (small 5 watch rotation). If it was 40mm , it would be in an incoming thread.

Maybe I will go look at it again later and take some wrist shots farther away for comparison. I do need to feel assured that I will wear it with some semblance of regularity. Although a great deal, it's still ~$3.5k that I could put toward something in which I feel more secure.

Ironically...

It would probably be SeaQ PD, which is actually LARGER. However, being a sport watch and purpose built dive watch, it's easier "to get away with" a larger wrist print.
Old 10 September 2022, 02:09 AM   #19
smalleq
"TRF" Member

You'd do better with a regular 40mm Ahoi, IMO/E.
smalleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 03:07 AM   #20
Guppydriver

Another shot I found ..

Here’s a 40mm in Nomos I tried on. I’m not interested in this piece but ya, I’m thinking it fits a bit better with those lugs. Well, actually they look kind of the same lol.

Old 10 September 2022, 08:26 AM   #21
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I have that size wrist and while I wear many 24mm dive and sport watches I always thought a watch of that style..all dial and white on top of it...was too much watch. I had a 42mm white dial Dornbluth and sold it, eventually getting a 40mm.

I don't buy the "if the lugs don't overhand when viewed from across the street" criteria. You shouldn't have to turn your wrist over to see if it's on bracelet or leather and the strap should flow naturally out from the lugs, not turn down at 90 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 08:43 AM   #22
ArsenX
Banned

I’m not the one to support letting others influence one’s decision thus I think you should decide what you feel suits you most. So doing, you’ll not feel as bad as you’ll feel if it’s a decision based on poll that you later regret.
Oh and don’t settle please simply because it’s a good deal.

ArsenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 09:56 AM   #23
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Another vote for ‘too big’.

That said, it’s borderline. You could pull it off if the watch just sang to you
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 07:12 AM   #24
kevn00
"TRF" Member

a vote for no. wear whatever you want. who cares as long as it sits nicely on the wrist
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 07:18 PM   #25
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
It's not that its too big... The case/dial size is actually perfect for your wrist.

But the long wiry lugs that flare our past your wrist curvature is a design flaw (IMO) and makes the watch wear bigger than it is.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 08:08 AM   #26
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Too big

Makes a big difference if the lugs do not slope downwards but flare out as others mentioned
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote