The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2009, 08:36 AM   #1
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Is buying panerai same as buying a Rolex?

Well my question is..is buying a panerai watch same as buying a Rolex that warranty card or authenticity papers are that important? There is a store selling a panerai but they are selling the watch only..is it that safe and selling a pam without papers will be easy? Would I be able to sell the watch without papers easy if I need too?
Old 20 April 2009, 09:01 AM   #2
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Oscar, My opinion is that it is a similar situation to Rolex. From selling, to service to just plain authenticity.

You can of course sell it - Might need to have an AD authenticate or prove you bought it somewhere reputable.

High dollar item... The buyer will probably want proof. Although, PAM is not as often copied as Rolex probably. I am sure the fake market is alive and well...
Old 20 April 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
With Panerai, the triple boxes are very important. ( Outer cardboard, inner black and the pear wood box).
If you watch the sales boards, they almost always list "3 boxes included". They can be replaced, but will cost you $$ and without them , resale of you watch will be that much harder & cheaper than one with all the goodies.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 09:43 AM   #4
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

But how about without papers? Because from time to time there are people selling the boxes..are all pam boxes the same? Or boxes correspond to watches..because i know that Rolex at the buttom of the box correspond certain model although they all look the same..$3800 for a pam 88 watch only is a good price?
Old 20 April 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
$3800 is a steal for an 88. So much so that I question it considerably, even without papers etc it should be much more I think.
Old 20 April 2009, 10:40 AM   #6
dra44

Watch: 116523 White Dial
What year is the watch? I believe that if the watch is less than 5 years old, you can contact Panerai and have the papers re-issued. As far as the box goes, I would keep checking on paneristi.com, they come up regularly for around $275-$300. While $3800 is a good price for a PAM88almost too good. What would worry me is whether or not the watch may have been stolen at one point. I'm not saying that the dealer even would know, but if you send it in for service, and the SN# comes up as stolen, you're out of luck.
dra44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 10:40 AM   #7
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Something isn't right for an 88 at that price...

Where are you buying this from?

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 11:19 AM   #8
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
Papers as proof of authenticity is just as important. You can also have it verified at panerai's service centres. the price you're getting for the 88 just seems too good to be true. have it checked out if i were you.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 12:59 PM   #9
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra44 View Post
What year is the watch? I believe that if the watch is less than 5 years old, you can contact Panerai and have the papers re-issued. As far as the box goes, I would keep checking on paneristi.com, they come up regularly for around $275-$300. While $3800 is a good price for a PAM88almost too good. What would worry me is whether or not the watch may have been stolen at one point. I'm not saying that the dealer even would know, but if you send it in for service, and the SN# comes up as stolen, you're out of luck.
its an I..so i believe its 2007?
Old 20 April 2009, 01:00 PM   #10
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYogi View Post
Something isn't right for an 88 at that price...

Where are you buying this from?
yes... but yogi...its only the watch...watch and the original rubber strap...nothing else... I series..
Old 20 April 2009, 01:04 PM   #11
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Here is the photos guys...its from an art gallery...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3aeb_0[1].jpg (5.1 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg !BQQ4-Tg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLlq68ZBJ36r!d8ig~~_12[1].jpg (35.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg !BQQ5BpwBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBJ36rPkcSg~~_0[1].jpg (3.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg !BQQ5ELQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DwEjlLl3z,yBJ36r,0-d!~~_12[1].jpg (29.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 3cb6_12[1].jpg (51.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 42f1_12[1].jpg (20.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 20 April 2009, 02:34 PM   #12
dra44

From the Panerai website, "In case of loss, a COSC duplicate will cost € 35,00 if your watch is not older than 5 years. If the watch is older than 5 years, it is necessary to carry out a complete overhaul at one of our After Sales Service Centres. Our technicians will then send the watch to the COSC Centre where the watch will be tested before issuing a new certificate." I would make the dealer do this for you just to be on the safe side. It's not quite as good as having a full triple box set, but it's a start.

If you are planning on keeping the watch, it sounds like a deal that's too good to pass up, however if you are going to flip it, you're going to have to buy a box- $300 and at minimum an OEM croc strap-$279. Now you've got the bare minimum of an incomplete set.
Old 20 April 2009, 02:40 PM   #13
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
From the Panerai website, "In case of loss, a COSC duplicate will cost € 35,00 if your watch is not older than 5 years. If the watch is older than 5 years, it is necessary to carry out a complete overhaul at one of our After Sales Service Centres. Our technicians will then send the watch to the COSC Centre where the watch will be tested before issuing a new certificate." I would make the dealer do this for you just to be on the safe side. It's not quite as good as having a full triple box set, but it's a start.

If you are planning on keeping the watch, it sounds like a deal that's too good to pass up, however if you are going to flip it, you're going to have to buy a box- $300 and at minimum an OEM croc strap-$279. Now you've got the bare minimum of an incomplete set.
dave how much it will cost to replace a new certificate? and even though im not the first owner? would panerai have their own list of stolen watches?
Old 20 April 2009, 02:47 PM   #14
dra44

I believe they do keep a list of stolen watches. The cost for a replacement certificate is 35 Euro. If you go to Panerai.com and look at the FAQ section it tells you what to do. I believe you can actually call Panerai in Italy, which might be a good thing to do first, just to check if the watch is stolen first, and you can check on the COSC certificate later if it's clean.
Old 20 April 2009, 02:54 PM   #15
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
I believe they do keep a list of stolen watches. The cost for a replacement certificate is 35 Euro. If you go to Panerai.com and look at the FAQ section it tells you what to do. I believe you can actually call Panerai in Italy, which might be a good thing to do first, just to check if the watch is stolen first, and you can check on the COSC certificate later if it's clean.
isnt it the same as rolex? because Rolex wont tell you if the watch is stollen unless you send the watch to them...
Old 20 April 2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
3,700 is a nice price, Buddy!!!
You not wearing a boxes...Go For It!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 03:59 PM   #17
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
With no box and papers I would take 20-30% off any decent watch, its like buying a car without the documents.
100thmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 08:44 PM   #18
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
It looks really good and the price is a steal. Just make sure it's legit or you might be in for a surprise when you send it in for service.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2009, 04:05 AM   #19
louie
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Beast
oscar,is this the same 88 we talk about it before comparing to the 90?
Old 23 April 2009, 07:08 PM   #20
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Yup, except that most of the Panerai movements ain't as good.

..guys

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote