The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 September 2014, 09:02 AM   #61
locutus49
2017 Pledge Member
 
locutus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Real Name: John
Location: La Jolla, CA
Watch: Platona
Posts: 7,958
If you buy a Rolex from ebay you should not be surprised if it is fake. Why take such a risk? Yes, there are probably a few genuine Rolexes on ebay, but the number of Frankens and outright fakes is so high, the risk outweighs the savings IMO.

I know there are many ebay defenders on TRF, but just check out the Watchout threads and see where most fakes come from. It is a matter of understanding the risk of buying on auction sites. Why not buy from our TRF sellers or an AD?
__________________
"Dig and be dug" Langston Hughes

"Sunt rupes virtutis iter"

"Send me" Isaiah 6:8
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 09:46 AM   #62
springer
2017 Batman Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 11,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltzar View Post
Just to clarify a few things:

If any seller says a bracelet is aftermarket, but on the pictures you see it is markedwith a Rolex crown, then it is not aftermarket, but counterfeit!

Any non Rolex part which contains any trademark words or logos is counterfeit!

According to crowncollection who is an expert dial and bezel are a problem as well, than it is fair to say that the seller offered a counterfeit watch for sale.

Any body pointing this out here in the watch out section has the right to do so and should not be blamed by other members just because the seller in question is well known.

I sometimes think people her are biased towards some sellers who are commonly known as reputable or are members of this forum and start to become defensive when someone finds a questionable watch they offer.
I agree with what you wrote, but your assumption is incorrect. The clasp is genuine as noted in the auction and appears genuine. Replacing a stretched bracelet with a genuine clasp is very common. I would not call this bracelet genuine and the seller, beckertime is not calling it genuine. The seller states the clasp is genuine and the bracelet is aftermarket. I see no deception in the listing. With that said, I don't see any violation of trademark law since the clasp is genuine, appears genuine, and the bracelet is listed as aftermarket. There is no trademark or the bracelet links.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 10:02 AM   #63
jvmartin
2017 Batman Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,000
He has indeed left him feedback... thats how I found the auction... it's beckertime's most recent negative
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 11:31 AM   #64
springer
2017 Batman Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 11,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I agree with what you wrote, but your assumption is incorrect. The clasp is genuine as noted in the auction and appears genuine. Replacing a stretched bracelet with a genuine clasp is very common. I would not call this bracelet genuine and the seller, beckertime is not calling it genuine. The seller states the clasp is genuine and the bracelet is aftermarket. I see no deception in the listing. With that said, I don't see any violation of trademark law since the clasp is genuine, appears genuine, and the bracelet is listed as aftermarket. There is no trademark or the bracelet links.
The last sentence should read:

There is no trademark on the bracelet links.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 12:05 PM   #65
kooltzar
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürich
Watch: Submariner 5512
Posts: 922
You are right Springer (I did not read that the clasp was called genuine in this offer) and I would agree, if not crowncollection (David) would have said the dial and bezel are also not genuine.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 03:57 PM   #66
crowncollection
2017 Pledge Member
 
crowncollection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: David
Location: australia
Posts: 17,482
clearly aftermarket crap all over this watch, either way nothing wrong with the add at the end of the day, aftermarket dial and bezel is disclosed, certainly not my cup of tea, but not illegal to refinish an original dial plate, i still call it fake, maybe i should not. aftermarket bezel is ok if you like that sort of thing. The band in my opinion is somewhat trying to be rolex with that fake model number on it, it not a good attempt, but still an attempt by the manufacturer in my opinion to look original and i am sure it came with a fake clasp that has been replaced with this original one. I personally do not condone support of the counterfiet market by buying any of these types of items, that is just my opinion though.
__________________
watches many
crowncollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 04:38 PM   #67
jvmartin
2017 Batman Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
clearly aftermarket crap all over this watch, either way nothing wrong with the add at the end of the day, aftermarket dial and bezel is disclosed, certainly not my cup of tea, but not illegal to refinish an original dial plate, i still call it fake, maybe i should not. aftermarket bezel is ok if you like that sort of thing. The band in my opinion is somewhat trying to be rolex with that fake model number on it, it not a good attempt, but still an attempt by the manufacturer in my opinion to look original and i am sure it came with a fake clasp that has been replaced with this original one. I personally do not condone support of the counterfiet market by buying any of these types of items, that is just my opinion though.
I come across a fair amount of refinished dials and aftermarket bezels on Datejust models. I calculate the bezels have melt and material value (diamonds and gold) but that dials are absolutely worthless... most of this sentiment is based on my assumption that refinished dials were illegal but something that Rolex selectively enforced...

does anyone know the definitive answer to their legality? I understand a refinished aftermarket plate being illegal, but how does a refinished original plate differ in terms of trademark? You are still stamping Rolex's name afterall...

Last edited by jvmartin; 18 September 2014 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: missed a word
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 05:07 PM   #68
SaintJoel
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Real Name: Joel
Location: Northwest England
Watch: Lots
Posts: 9
Hi, this is my first post but I look at the forum regularly.

I bought a Rolex from Matt Becker and can tell you that he's a good guy. I've had mine checked and it is 100% genuine. It is the most accurate mechanical watch that I've ever owned.
If you have a problem with your purchase than I suggest that you call him because, if you're not happy, he will definitly give you your money back.
SaintJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 10:17 PM   #69
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Thank you all for your post, from both sides.



But i posted a picture of two clasps in my early posts, which one is a real Genuine Rolex clasp?
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 10:20 PM   #70
kooltzar
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürich
Watch: Submariner 5512
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
I come across a fair amount of refinished dials and aftermarket bezels on Datejust models. I calculate the bezels have melt and material value (diamonds and gold) but that dials are absolutely worthless... most of this sentiment is based on my assumption that refinished dials were illegal but something that Rolex selectively enforced...

does anyone know the definitive answer to their legality? I understand a refinished aftermarket plate being illegal, but how does a refinished original plate differ in terms of trademark? You are still stamping Rolex's name afterall...

A refinished dial on original plate is fake in case the markings related to the Trademark have also be redone.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 11:13 PM   #71
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Also to note, the seller lied on his feedback reply. My dispute was never over the bracelet being aftermarket, i knew this upon purchase.

My dispute was how the aftermarket band had markings on it that mimic a Rolex band and also the seller stated the clasp is a real Genuine Rolex and I highly disagree, so case in point, my opinion is the seller deliberately 100% sold a counterfeit to me so whether he 100% gave me a refund or even sent flowers and card with it… he still deserves negative feedback!


I agree it is not worth the risk on Ebay, the only nice thing is Paypal and Ebay back you so there is comfort there but still not worth the hassel.

I don’t know if your aloud to on here but can anyone recommend a reputable used Rolex seller, ones that sells 100% genuine Rolex’s?
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 11:36 PM   #72
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
springer

what picture are you looking and declaring the clasp Genuine? I attached a picture of TWO different clasps to this thread. Which one of these is Genuine?
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 12:31 AM   #73
locutus49
2017 Pledge Member
 
locutus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Real Name: John
Location: La Jolla, CA
Watch: Platona
Posts: 7,958
There are several trusted sellers on this site that sell used. Please check the F/S section. Also, you could check Chrono24, which has various sellers, some with reliable histories. I have not bought from Chrono24 and mainly use it to check prices. I would try the sellers on TRF first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post
Also to note, the seller lied on his feedback reply. My dispute was never over the bracelet being aftermarket, i knew this upon purchase.

My dispute was how the aftermarket band had markings on it that mimic a Rolex band and also the seller stated the clasp is a real Genuine Rolex and I highly disagree, so case in point, my opinion is the seller deliberately 100% sold a counterfeit to me so whether he 100% gave me a refund or even sent flowers and card with it… he still deserves negative feedback!


I agree it is not worth the risk on Ebay, the only nice thing is Paypal and Ebay back you so there is comfort there but still not worth the hassel.

I don’t know if your aloud to on here but can anyone recommend a reputable used Rolex seller, ones that sells 100% genuine Rolex’s?
__________________
"Dig and be dug" Langston Hughes

"Sunt rupes virtutis iter"

"Send me" Isaiah 6:8
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 12:50 AM   #74
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Springer,

Yes there is markings on the bracelet that i received that "mimic" rolex... again refer to my pictures i posted a few posts back. this is the actual watch i received in the mail, the pictures on ebay are irrelevant as that is not the exact same watch as i have in my possession. (its a stock photo)
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 02:28 AM   #75
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Not to get off topic...


locutus49

I took yoru advice and checked out Chrono 24, this ideally is the Rolex i want to get the wife. Have you or anyone heard of this seller? (Buy the seller first, buy the watch second....right?)


http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/ssp...arch/index.htm
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 04:35 AM   #76
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
no one can comment on the clasp pictures i posted?
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 06:07 AM   #77
crowncollection
2017 Pledge Member
 
crowncollection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: David
Location: australia
Posts: 17,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post
no one can comment on the clasp pictures i posted?

Can you take a picture of the inner clasp markings.
__________________
watches many
crowncollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 06:44 AM   #78
springer
2017 Batman Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 11,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post
springer

what picture are you looking and declaring the clasp Genuine? I attached a picture of TWO different clasps to this thread. Which one of these is Genuine?
I haven't seen any clasp photos posted by you in this thread. I looked at the auction in one of the links provided by someone here and saw the clasp on ebay. It doesn't look counterfeit based on the photo. The seller stated in the auction the clasp was genuine but the bracelet was aftermarket.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 07:07 AM   #79
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Here are the pictures, look at the impression of the crowns.... which one is fake?

Also look at the rear of the case are these marking supposed to be here?


And again with the band, YES the seller stated the band was after market but are those numbers stamped on the band a trade mark of Rolex. If so the seller is selling counterfeit parts... no matter if they stated "aftermarket" or not you can not sell replications of a trademark period!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch4.jpg (56.1 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg watch1.jpg (59.9 KB, 925 views)
File Type: jpg watch2.jpg (68.6 KB, 926 views)
File Type: jpg watch 5.jpg (66.2 KB, 927 views)
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 07:10 AM   #80
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Springer,

Please do not compare the photos from EBAY if they are real/fake or indifferent, the only photos that are relevant are the photo of the watch that i was sold.
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 08:11 AM   #81
8888
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ny,nj,fl
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltzar View Post
Just to clarify a few things:

If any seller says a bracelet is aftermarket, but on the pictures you see it is markedwith a Rolex crown, then it is not aftermarket, but counterfeit!

Any non Rolex part which contains any trademark words or logos is counterfeit!

According to crowncollection who is an expert dial and bezel are a problem as well, than it is fair to say that the seller offered a counterfeit watch for sale.

Any body pointing this out here in the watch out section has the right to do so and should not be blamed by other members just because the seller in question is well known.

I sometimes think people her are biased towards some sellers who are commonly known as reputable or are members of this forum and start to become defensive when someone finds a questionable watch they offer.
good post. I have purchase from beckertime twice. the most recent a 6694. looking at the photos I guessed the dial might have been refinished. it was NOT stated in the description. I messaged them and they told me yes the dial had been refinished. they were perfectly honest but I did have to ask. as always buyer beware. price was right and I am not one who cares the dial is refinished. two very smooth transactions from them and I am very satisfied. I would use them again...
8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 03:22 PM   #82
sigguy
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Mexico
Watch: SeaDweller
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post

Please do not compare the photos from EBAY if they are real/fake or indifferent, the only photos that are relevant are the photo of the watch that i was sold.
I can't comment on the clasp itself, but will point out the following on
the listing ...

Although the picture in the listing is pretty fuzzy, one can see that the clasp
is different from what is pictured. Even though the seller puts a disclaimer
about 'stock pictures' at the bottom of his listing and mentioned the
changed clasp in the text, I'm not sure that adheres to EBAY Seller rules;
for one thing stock photos are not allowed for used items. That being
said, I don't know whether Ebay would consider this a SNAD (significantly
not as described) because the clasp change was mentioned in the text.
Could argue either way.

Did you return the watch and get a refund? It appears to be listed again.

Also, check the For Sale forums here; there have been several 169622
for sale here in the last few months at good prices (sub $4k), by sellers
who are highly reputable. You can check the 'whos who' forum.

Finally, I'm not sure about your contention regarding the model numbers
on the fake bracelet being illegal; The Rolex name and Crown are
protected by trademark and copyright law; that is clear. To my knowledge
though one can't copyright or trademark a *simple* number (although one
could for a distinctive design/font).

J
sigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2014, 05:44 PM   #83
jvmartin
2017 Batman Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,000
The case back inscription is normal on 70s and 80s model Ladies Datejusts.. also the 69173 is not a trademark of Rolex... though it is a model number used... Not 100% sure about the bracelet clasp... 62510 D would be correct for a Ladies Datejust Jubilee model but I am not sure if the inscriptions are correct... I defer to others in regards to the bracelet clasp
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 12:25 AM   #84
Rootbeer
"TRF" Member
 
Rootbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Real Name: Sam
Location: USA
Watch: Milgauss GV
Posts: 492
I would guess the average consumer looking at the listing would understand this:

Genuine Rolex
Genuine Rolex
Genuine Rolex
Authenticity guaranteed


They would also see this and may consider the seller has a formal association with Rolex:

Speak to a Rolex specialist

But these words are a little trickier and i would suggest require specialist knowledge:

Aftermarket
Custom
Factory


Is there any other arena where 'custom' specifically means solely non-original / not authentic?
Is this exclusive ebay-Rolex parlance?
Many car marques for example offer custom options from the factory.
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 02:09 AM   #85
springer
2017 Batman Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 11,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post
Here are the pictures, look at the impression of the crowns.... which one is fake?

Also look at the rear of the case are these marking supposed to be here?


And again with the band, YES the seller stated the band was after market but are those numbers stamped on the band a trade mark of Rolex. If so the seller is selling counterfeit parts... no matter if they stated "aftermarket" or not you can not sell replications of a trademark period!
The clasp is definitely counterfeit and not genuine as claimed by the seller beckertime. There are several identifiers on the clasp blade to indicate is not genuine. Also, the stamping on the bracelet link is for a two-tone bracelet - not stainless steel. This is not good, which changes my thoughts regarding the bracelet. Definitely not genuine.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 02:46 AM   #86
springer
2017 Batman Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 11,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJoel View Post
Hi, this is my first post but I look at the forum regularly.

I bought a Rolex from Matt Becker and can tell you that he's a good guy. I've had mine checked and it is 100% genuine. It is the most accurate mechanical watch that I've ever owned.
If you have a problem with your purchase than I suggest that you call him because, if you're not happy, he will definitly give you your money back.
Nice of you to stop by and offer your perspective on this matter.

I will agree that M. Becker is a nice fellow. His listings are fairly accurate but he is one of the "kings" of aftermarket. Nothing wrong with that, since we all know that many watches can be found with aftermarket parts - most notably bracelets, bezel inserts, crystals and dials.

But, back to the issue of this ladies Datejust. As an enhanced member of ebay, who has removed many fake and misrepresented watches through the years, this watch had several issues. If I had seen it while it was listed, I would have had it removed. It was misrepresented. I do not believe it is proper to misrepresent a watch, then later, when the buyer finds out something was not as stated, have the seller refund or exchange the watch. Very poor business practice in my opinion.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 03:00 AM   #87
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Thank you all for your help.

springer
beckertime has this same listing up again, he obviously has a few of these watches (in this aftermarket style he is trying to sell)

But again i honestly feel Beckertime is buying the counterfeit bands/clasps and putting them on their watches and claiming the band is aftermarket the clasp is real. (oh and claiming it is a very high end aftermarket band ) Although this is just one case where i can actually prove Beckertime sold counterfeit Rolex parts i would bet it happens a lot more with the bands/clasps.
Aftermarket and counterfeit are two different things and what they tried doing to me is just wrong and illegal.

My advise to anyone buying from them is have it inspected and read the fine print!!

Needless to say i have learned my lesson, buy the seller before the watch.
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 03:12 AM   #88
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
Just out of spite, I may purchase 2 or 3 more from them and document all my findings of anymore counterfeit parts being used.
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 03:21 AM   #89
MonBK
2017 Batman Pledge Member
 
MonBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kingstown
Posts: 47,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post
Just out of spite, I may purchase 2 or 3 more from them and document all my findings of anymore counterfeit parts being used.
Very smart move
__________________
"Everything will be ok in the end.
If it's not ok, then it's not the end."

Click the button if you want to join the P-Club
Member #1
People who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 03:39 AM   #90
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OH
Posts: 25
MonBK

Are you being sarcastic?
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banner Of The Month
*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to outstanding horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2017, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.