The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 November 2018, 03:25 PM   #31
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Do it before the stock market collapses more.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 03:53 PM   #32
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I personally would not... but I’m a big on “if you don’t wear it get something you will”... if you’ll wear and enjoy the Daytona go for it!
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 03:57 PM   #33
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Thanks so much for all of the responses guys. Keep them coming!

I think the thing I struggle with is it’s almost impossible to tell before you purchase something if you’ll wear it often. I honestly thought I’d wear the 5711 a lot when I bought it. (I think the subsequent skyrocket in value has made me reach for other watches when I choose what to wear; maybe subconscious “protecting its value”.) To those asking what I wear most of the time, it’s usually an IWC Mark XVIII or my trusty Speedy Pro. The 5711 is mostly a safe queen.

Part of this is that I also perceive Rolex in general to be more “durable” than the 5711 and 15202. The apples to apples comparison would be those two vs the DD40; the movement of the DD40 is just more of a workhorse. What it lacks in finishing or ultra-thinness it makes up for in ruggedness. A Daytona is in the same camp. I *think* I’d wear it more, but I’ve said that before.
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 07:31 PM   #34
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
The question is will you regret after you sold the 5711. It is really a tough choice to make, both watch is an absolute awesome piece.
Carrera_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 07:55 PM   #35
SearChart
TechXpert

5711 is flimsy and overrated, platona all the way.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 08:12 PM   #36
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
In a heartbeat, the 5711 gets blown away by the Platona
Old 25 November 2018, 08:14 PM   #37
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Say what you will, the 5711 is all hype. Beautiful dial, exquisite decoration of the movement but otherwise makes no sense. It isn't durable or very waterproof, and doesn't hack. It is pretty and dainty though and social media has hyped it.
But the Daytona is three times the watch it is, and it's a precious metal.

I would make this trade ASAP.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 08:15 PM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Put the money to one side and go see the watches together and try them on side by side and one will call out to you more. I did the same with an AP and Lange last week and I went in thinking I'd switch to the Lange but as I was wearing them I decided I'd rather stay with my AP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 08:15 PM   #39
wristmatic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
imo. the platona will be more valuable once they discontinue the watch soon.
wristmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 08:18 PM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post

I think the thing I struggle with is it’s almost impossible to tell before you purchase something if you’ll wear it often. I honestly thought I’d wear the 5711 a lot when I bought it. (I think the subsequent skyrocket in value has made me reach for other watches when I choose what to wear; maybe subconscious “protecting its value”.) To those asking what I wear most of the time, it’s usually an IWC Mark XVIII or my trusty Speedy Pro. The 5711 is mostly a safe queen.

Part of this is that I also perceive Rolex in general to be more “durable” than the 5711 and 15202. The apples to apples comparison would be those two vs the DD40; the movement of the DD40 is just more of a workhorse. What it lacks in finishing or ultra-thinness it makes up for in ruggedness. A Daytona is in the same camp. I *think* I’d wear it more, but I’ve said that before.
No real difference in durability and shock resistance, the 5711 and the 324 cal is no baby, and as for marking up, the bezel is vulnerable on the 5711 but then the Platona has pcls so both have weaknesses.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 08:26 PM   #41
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I would in a heartbeat and never look back
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 08:46 PM   #42
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I wouldn’t sell the 5711 personally. However if you do sell I also would not get the Platona. It’s a great watch and I’m a fan of it myself, but I think there are better options. For a daytona I would just stick with a 116500 and save a lot of cash.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 08:51 PM   #43
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post

If you are subconsciously holding it for "protection" it's not for you and it also happens to be the time that the value is highest so capitalize and get something you will enjoy more. I think the 5711 is (or should be) the type of watch you are either all in or not. If you are worried about wearing it due to scratches or value it just takes the enjoyment out of it. It is designed to be a sports watch meant to be worn. I know a guy he has been wearing it every single day since he got it in 2006 or so. I told him - you know how much that watch is worth now? He didn't care, it is his daily and he loves it, doesn't care about value or scratches, it still looked great too. I think that's the way the watch should be owned and worn, not locked up in a safe. It is simply a very nice sports watch meant to be worn, it is durable and comfortable for daily use. The 5711R is a different story and I think more of a special occasion watch. I agree the Platona would be easier to wear due to the perception in your mind that it is more durable and a workhorse. Platinum is also a stronger and harder precious metal adding to the durability along with the nice weight. I prefer the Platinum DD40 to the Platona, but they are both stunning pieces. Hope you make the decision that makes you happiest.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:04 PM   #44
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
If you like them equally and never wear the 5711 go for it. Personally I don’t ever make this trade. Daytona in steel a better watch than Platinum unless you have a 20+ watch collection.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:12 PM   #45
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
You are not wearing the 5711 and the prices at some point will crash. When, who knows, but it will occur. The Platinum Daytona will have taken most of its hit so money wise I believe it would be a good trade. The Daytona exceeds the 5711 in my opinion. I don't get it, for me, what the big deal is about the 5711. I have handled the watch over the years and admire the workmanship that is consistent with PP but the prices are not. I would do it in heart beat and never look back.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:25 PM   #46
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Predicting a 5711 crash dangerous. If they don’t make a ton more and a larger portion of the population is familiar with and aspires to own it could run for decades. And if you can not worry about scratches and just enjoy it 5711 is a perfect every day watch.
Old 25 November 2018, 10:48 PM   #47
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Normally I would say no, but instead of posting troll bait like I have lately and because your proposition is an interesting one I will say this...

No. (Just kidding...)

If you’d wear the platinum Daytona more it’s a great piece and I’d definitely consider that and probably even do it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:50 PM   #48
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Do it before the stock market collapses more.
This.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:55 PM   #49
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Just a thought - try wearing the 5711 every day for a week or so- me thinks you will decide to keep it. I enjoy mine sooo much and there is a reason they are so desired. Yes the bezel will get scratched but it can always be polished out . Trade a PP for any Rolex - never- it’s still a Rolex . :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:12 PM   #50
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer the 5711 to the platona, so I wouldn’t do it. But, since you haven’t taken a real liking to the 5711, you might as well go for it. Just be sure and try on both before you do the deal, as it will be close to impossible (at the current rate) to get another 5711 from your AD in the future
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:16 PM   #51
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Very interesting dilemma

For all the reasons you gave, yes!

Yolo
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:21 PM   #52
unknown
"TRF" Member

normally I would say NO

but today ??

The 5711 is the most overpriced watch on the planet
a good and nice one but ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH TODAY'S MARKET VALUE, NOT EVEN CLOSE

so hell yeah, do it !
Old 25 November 2018, 11:34 PM   #53
GK-
"TRF" Member

If you’d wear the Rolex more then I’d agree with others and say go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:39 PM   #54
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I am truly surprised in a PP subforum that there are so many "yes I'd trade" responses!

I absolutely love my Daytona and wear it every day. It, for me, is like the 5711 for you: by far the most expensive watch I have ever bought. Well, my only other nice watch was a Datejust bought in 1985, so I am not a typical TRF member. It sounds to me like, 1) you don't really love wearing the 5711, and 2) perhaps the high "value" of it detracts from your comfort enjoying it.

If that is the case, then the platinum Daytona will not be much more comfortable on your wrist, given the similar market value, and of course the 2 1/2 times higher MSRP. So perhaps a SS Daytona or WG Daytona (with bracelet or OysterFlex) would be a choice you could get more comfortable wearing and enjoying.

If you mainly don't wear the 5711 because you think it's fragile and you just don't love wearing it, then the platinum Daytona could be a much better choice. I think it's very robust, as all Rolexes are. I don't think twice about wearing mine every day, although I do smile every morning when I strap it on (two years into ownership). It is exactly as robust as one would want in a daily and the only thing that perhaps isn't daily-appropriate about it is the value. I insured it (which I hadn't done with my DJ for years) and know that when it needs a servicing, I can get it lightly polished (if I so choose) and will look brand new. So I don't really have a care in the world when wearing it.

In the two years since I bought it, it seems like good used prices have climbed from mid-40s to low/mid-50s, but a) who cares, and b) where they go from here is anyone's guess.

In summary, I'd buy whatever watch you can see yourself wearing and enjoying. The platinum Daytona is that perfect watch for me, but only you can know if it will be that perfect watch for you.
Old 25 November 2018, 11:40 PM   #55
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Sell the 5711 because you no longer want the watch. Buy the daytona because it tickles your fancy.

I wouldnt let what the market does influence you at the moment. In prior downturns driven by asia, Chinese money shifted to anything that was USD based. I suspect watches will still hold value in that event. This downturn is different than the 2008 decline as the US is not the epicenter.

If you were truely timing the market, you would aell, hold cash for a bit and buy a daytona when all watches fall.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:42 PM   #56
tchaic
"TRF" Member

I’ve been thinking about this all morning like the WIS I am. How about a trade for 5960P? This way you get the chrono complication you want, platinum you want, plus a free annual calendar and diamond! Win, win, win
Old 26 November 2018, 12:03 AM   #57
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiustime View Post
You've had a few years to wear it and found yourself wearing it much less than anticipated. I would take advantage of the appreciation and put it towards another model you might not have otherwise been able to afford.
Really well said.

I wear my 5711 quite a bit, so I couldn't see myself doing this trade.
But in your case, why not?
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 12:05 AM   #58
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Get out of the 5711 now while the market is insane, if you do not wear it. As someone said swapping a 24K watch even for a 75K watch. No brainer.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 12:07 AM   #59
Vipes
"TRF" Member

If you Like both equally and if you’re going to wear the platona more then yes. Take advantage of the current 5711 market demand. The feel of a full platinum watch is amazing. I have and love the 5711 and I think you should do it.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 12:17 AM   #60
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I can't see the Nautilus value crashing, ever. It's a classic, rare and extremely desirable. When it's discontinued, it's value will rocket, you aint seen nothing yet!

I wouldn't do the trade, but then I don't like the Daytona in any of its guises.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote