The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31 March 2021, 12:27 AM   #1
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
My First Journe

Some months after placing the order, I collected my first Journe yesterday. A Chronometre Souverain in Platinum, with gold dial, and appliqué numbers. That I’m happy is an understatement, absolutely in love with this simple yet beautiful timepiece.

For my return to wearing a traditional non-sports timepiece after some years, I decided I’d go with a manual wind, and which also thankfully limited the options I’d have to consider and investigate.

Finally, the choice was between the CS and 1815 up/down, and the romance of the Journe won over the precision of the Lange. I flirted with the AP Code, but the case proportions made it’s elimination easy. I suspect my attraction to Lange will play out, hopefully sooner rather than later as the 1815 Chrono and the Dato have a very strong pull on me.

Coming back to the CS, it’s a stunningly simple and beautiful timepiece. The face/dial competes with the case back proudly showing off the gorgeous movement in 18K gold, for which is the more beautiful side of the timepiece. The backside attracted me to this watch as much as the face did to be honest.

As compared to it’s more famous cousin, the CS flies under the radar. I originally opted for the traditional silver guilloche dial but an option for the gold dial opened and I switched. The mirror polished raised numerals in particular, make this variant stand out in my eyes from the traditional original guilloche dial. The numbers reflect light like a mirror does, and so do the hands. The recessed seconds sub-dial and the PR indicator create a relief from the otherwise singular tone of the white dial.

The case size is perfect for my 6.3” wrist, and it’s sits flat on my wrist. The strap is beautiful, and robust. This is a slim watch and despite the platinum case and gold movement, it’s lightness on the wrist is surprising.

The CS is a model which is close to FPJ’s heart as I read, and one that he is immensely proud of, especially for its time telling accuracy. It was his choice for a gift when he presented a CS to George Daniels many years ago.

Obligatory wrist shot to follow, but here are a few initial pics with the iphone.