The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 September 2021, 11:44 AM   #1
triwater
2024 Pledge Member

Buy the buyer?

In process of first transaction on TRF as a seller, have an interested party overseas. Long time member (2014) but no posts, no purchases, etc. Not really sure how to vet him, just wondering what red flags to look for from the seller side of this. If he is willing to wire/bank transfer or the like, what is my exposure? Is there any? I requested an address so I could accurate calculate shipping and it checks out, or at least it's a real address, be it a business, which in itself I don't think is a big deal.

I've been a buyer several times so that part I'm familiar with/know what to look for (buy the seller!) however never sold on here before, so I myself have no references, so seems like the trust onus, if you will, is entirely on his end, although this can't be accurate, can it?

Any help from more experienced sellers would be appreciated, and hope this is in the right forum. Thanks in advance!!
triwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:18 PM   #2
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
If the seller requests a WIRE you are 99% guaranteed to lose the money and never get the watch. Especially overseas - even more to worry about with that aspect.
Read all the horror stories here at TRF of buyers who went the WIRE route.
You have now been warned about wire transfers. We hear just TOO many stories of WIRE ripoffs!
If they won't accept world-wide credit cards (VISA, AMEX) it is time for you to move on.
You cannot be too careful.

(NOTE this does NOT apply to reputable brick-and-mortar resellers such as DAVIDSW and TAKUYA who have long-term honest selling practices and long-term history with watch buyers, and with watch sites such as TRF.)

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:33 PM   #3
tike71
"TRF" Member

OP is saying he's the seller, looking for advice to vet a buyer.
As long as the wire hits your account you should be fine. AFAIK there's no way to recall a wire once it's completed. The big risk here is on the buyer.
Old 22 September 2021, 05:49 PM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
If the seller requests a WIRE you are 99% guaranteed to lose the money and never get the watch. Especially overseas - even more to worry about with that aspect.
You have now been warned about wire transfers. We hear just TOO many stories of WIRE ripoffs!
If they won't accept world-wide credit cards (VISA, AMEX) it is time for you to move on.

(NOTE this does NOT apply to reputable brick-and-mortar resellers such as DAVIDSW and TAKUYA who have long-term honest selling practices and long-term history with watch buyers, and with watch sites such as TRF.)
Hmmm, cz 99% of overseas sellers are crooks.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:57 PM   #5
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwater View Post
In process of first transaction on TRF as a seller, have an interested party overseas. Long time member (2014) but no posts, no purchases, etc. Not really sure how to vet him, just wondering what red flags to look for from the seller side of this. If he is willing to wire/bank transfer or the like, what is my exposure? Is there any? I requested an address so I could accurate calculate shipping and it checks out, or at least it's a real address, be it a business, which in itself I don't think is a big deal.

I've been a buyer several times so that part I'm familiar with/know what to look for (buy the seller!) however never sold on here before, so I myself have no references, so seems like the trust onus, if you will, is entirely on his end, although this can't be accurate, can it?

Any help from more experienced sellers would be appreciated, and hope this is in the right forum. Thanks in advance!!
If he has no history or valid references, ask for a wire. Only ship after "CLEARED" funds in your account. To be clear with the buyer and avoid misunderstandings, clarify transfer fees or use "$xx amount net to you"
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:13 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Triwater IS the seller.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 01:11 AM   #7
rmagoo57
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
I would NOT sell (or buy) "overseas" - plenty buyers and sellers here in the states.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 04:53 AM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
I would NOT sell (or buy) "overseas" - plenty buyers and sellers here in the states.
Definitely that.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 03:14 PM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

As my wise and thoughtful mother use to tell my father, which I repeat here for you...Stop it...you're scaring the kids with your nonsense.

There are dozens and dozens of reputable sellers here on TRF, many that are not dealers. Additionally, I along with many others can be counted as one of the thousands and thousands of deals that have been done successfully by payment with wire transfers. And, for those that don't realize it, many of the member sellers here that aren't dealers but instead are flippers or weekend sellers, most do not take credit cards. Just be careful out there.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 03:38 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

Yeah, this is just nonsense. A few people have been ripped off, and the majority of them were USA domestic, not international, deals, and involved poor background checks and/or huge leaps of faith from the buyer (to put it politely). The huge majority of bankwire deals posted on TRF go through just fine in any case, even for foreigners like me.
Old 24 September 2021, 05:02 PM   #11
snakeeyes
Banned

Yup I have had no problems either. Just dont rush into buying anything, converse with the seller and if they are a scammer it doesnt take very long for them to give up the game.
snakeeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 01:28 PM   #12
triwater
2024 Pledge Member

Update: After some back and forth, needless to say the deal fell through. He wouldn't wire, I wouldn't take PayPal (have heard from too many not to as a seller), etc., so back to square one.

I don't think either one of us trusted the other enough. I'm fairly certain he wasn't a scammer and I obviously am not.
I guess this just isn't the right space for people like us with few posts, no references, to buy or sell, given I get in and out of pieces fairly infrequently and by no means look at this as business, I just want to avoid the commissions from Chrono, eBay and the like. It's just something I enjoy.

But I don't enjoy this. I just want to sell a watch and buy something else I like better and would wear more. Vetting people and checking references and getting emailed with phony links, i.e., "I'm buying this for my birthday, open this link to see what I have" in order to steal my login to scam other members, it's just not what I'm interested in doing. It's no one's fault, just not for me.

Anyway thanks for all of your responses and advice, it is appreciated.

And who knows, maybe he was a scammer and thanks to the info I got from here and other discussions, it saved me from a giant mistake. I truly enjoy and find TRF discussions informative, knowledgeable and sometimes hilarious, but I think I'm done with this part.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
triwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 01:41 PM   #13
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Don't want the headache, if I want to sell my watch, I'll sell it back to my AD. Yeh, I may miss on few bucks, but I really don't want the headache and people knowing on my door
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 03:58 AM   #14
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
Quote:
Definitely that.
The only crooks live outside the US, thank you very much