The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 October 2021, 11:03 AM   #1
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Trustworthy AD/s New England

Hello all
Just trying to gain some brutal yet truthful perspective. I’m a novice and have been collecting some timepieces on my short but worthwhile journey so far. Watches have always been a passion. Haven’t tapped into the Patek/AP/Rolex game yet but even taking a peek on that side of the game, I can’t seem to find an entry point. I wish to own some desirable pieces down the line but wanted to start with building a meaningful relationship with an AD. I live in Boston metro area and have been trying real hard to find a gateway or sort of an intro to the AD world. Have followed multiple threads with similar AD discussions and experienced the horrors from over some of the unfortunate high spender veterans’ shoulders, who despite having spent close to a million bucks, haven’t gotten anywhere into the good books at their ADs (although not all) when they deserve to ask for a bucket list piece for themselves. Hence, the question that’s been troubling me for the past year and a half,

Would anyone be interested in sharing a contact to a respectable, honest AD in the New England area? And helping a newbie start out in this scorched journey I’m about to embark upon? Where I won’t waste my time, where I will Atleast be able to talk to the person across without being shrugged away despite showing interest in buying a piece or a few pieces before getting into the big league (happened to me at the Boston AD).

I don’t expect any spoon feeding nor do I ask anyone to hold my hand and walk me through (although, that would be a long shot lucky stroke, haha). All I ask of you all, one of the biggest timepiece enthusiast communities, is to just point out a direction where to start. This is my first post, despite having been on the forum as a spectator for the past quite some time. I just didn’t know where to turn to. The local ADs are blatant enough to say there is no chance for people/millennials like myself who’re just starting out to even get on ‘any’ list for Pateks. I much appreciate your consideration, and thank you for all that y’all do in advance. Good wishes to each and everyone in their respective journeys. Keep the industry thriving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PoojanDhanesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 10:41 PM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I would be realistic and not expect much from an AD in today's crazy watch market. To play devil's advocate, how is an AD to distinguish between a real watch enthusiast and a watch flipper? It is very hard for them.

I would start with the pre-owned watch market if you are relatively new. You have one of the most respected pre-owned watch store right there in Boston, EWC.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 06:58 AM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoojanDhanesha View Post
Hello all
Just trying to gain some brutal yet truthful perspective. I’m a novice and have been collecting some timepieces on my short but worthwhile journey so far. Watches have always been a passion. Haven’t tapped into the Patek/AP/Rolex game yet but even taking a peek on that side of the game, I can’t seem to find an entry point. I wish to own some desirable pieces down the line but wanted to start with building a meaningful relationship with an AD. I live in Boston metro area and have been trying real hard to find a gateway or sort of an intro to the AD world. Have followed multiple threads with similar AD discussions and experienced the horrors from over some of the unfortunate high spender veterans’ shoulders, who despite having spent close to a million bucks, haven’t gotten anywhere into the good books at their ADs (although not all) when they deserve to ask for a bucket list piece for themselves. Hence, the question that’s been troubling me for the past year and a half,

Would anyone be interested in sharing a contact to a respectable, honest AD in the New England area? And helping a newbie start out in this scorched journey I’m about to embark upon? Where I won’t waste my time, where I will Atleast be able to talk to the person across without being shrugged away despite showing interest in buying a piece or a few pieces before getting into the big league (happened to me at the Boston AD).

I don’t expect any spoon feeding nor do I ask anyone to hold my hand and walk me through (although, that would be a long shot lucky stroke, haha). All I ask of you all, one of the biggest timepiece enthusiast communities, is to just point out a direction where to start. This is my first post, despite having been on the forum as a spectator for the past quite some time. I just didn’t know where to turn to. The local ADs are blatant enough to say there is no chance for people/millennials like myself who’re just starting out to even get on ‘any’ list for Pateks. I much appreciate your consideration, and thank you for all that y’all do in advance. Good wishes to each and everyone in their respective journeys. Keep the industry thriving.

I feel your frustrations - maybe approx. total spend per year and which watches are you interested in buying ? If you can share that people here might be able to assess if it's worth building a relationship
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:33 AM   #4
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

One of my ADs is so honest to me the best way is to stay away from this hype and come back to the market again after few years, maybe. I totally agree with her esp I am not a big spender. It is so hard to get a Rolex now, so don't mention PP which is another level of clients group.
I haven been waiting 5712 for nearly 4 to 5 yrs and I give up upon waiting. Another AD didn't even bother to reply my email. So good luck.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 09:50 AM   #5
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I would be realistic and not expect much from an AD in today's crazy watch market. To play devil's advocate, how is an AD to distinguish between a real watch enthusiast and a watch flipper? It is very hard for them.

I would start with the pre-owned watch market if you are relatively new. You have one of the most respected pre-owned watch store right there in Boston, EWC.

I appreciate your response and totally understand, as a Watch business/authorized dealership, it’s not too easy for them to weed out the genuine collector/enthusiasts in contrast to flippers/resellers. But hence the ‘spending on other timepieces’ to gain their trust.
However, like I’d mentioned in my original post, hearing the stories like one spending upwards of half a mil and not even getting on the good books, is it worth to even try establishing the relationship with the approach of buying and spending hard earned money?
On a side note, I’ve been in the know of EWC and am trying to get to know them more and potentially buying a piece through them. Thanks for the reference.

Old 10 October 2021, 09:58 AM   #6
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I feel your frustrations - maybe approx. total spend per year and which watches are you interested in buying ? If you can share that people here might be able to assess if it's worth building a relationship

Thank you for considering to help out. I’m nowhere close to spending a $100k on a single timepiece today but do I aspire to be there one day? Absolutely. I admire a number of good timepieces out there that people hunt down like wild hogs before the owner even has an idea of whether he’d ever consider selling them. So as brutal as it’s been for some big name pieces, I’d still hope to think one day I’d get to experience one myself, and see what joy and awe people talk about when they got theirs. I’m looking to eventually get a PP 5270/5271. And the world of PP is already a wildfire when I got in to collecting and learning about watches.
So is it worth going the AD route? And if so, do you have an honest AD in mind you recommend in the CONUS?
If not the AD route, what other approach would you recommend?
Again, much appreciate your prompt response. Please be as direct and honest in any way you can be. Atleast that way I’d waste valuable less time of yours.

Old 10 October 2021, 10:03 AM   #7
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
One of my ADs is so honest to me the best way is to stay away from this hype and come back to the market again after few years, maybe. I totally agree with her esp I am not a big spender. It is so hard to get a Rolex now, so don't mention PP which is another level of clients group.
I haven been waiting 5712 for nearly 4 to 5 yrs and I give up upon waiting. Another AD didn't even bother to reply my email. So good luck.

Thank you for straightening that out for me. Yes, I’ve heard similar stories that people have no hopes or patience anymore in waiting for pieces you inquired for 2-3-4-5 years ago. Hence, the question to the group. If it’s even worth it enlisting yourself as an interested collector at any AD’s. At this point, regardless of how much you like a piece and would literally be on your knees if you get your hands on one of your grail pieces, has it been a fruitful journey for you or anyone else out here? And was it worth the wait?
I much appreciate your reply. Hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel for you since you’re already so far in your waiting journey! Wish you nothing but the best with your collecting.

Old 11 October 2021, 12:43 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I hope you don’t mind me being straightforward here but you can’t build a good relationship with a Patek dealer lest you have several hundred k at the ready go buy watches.

I guess figure out what brands you are ready to buy and match those with ADs that carry them and Patek.

The good news is that you can go out and buy a Patek today. The brand is very accessible provided you have good taste and want a classic PC or AC or world timer.

Bottom line is watches are there to be bought but if you’re aren’t going to buy a Patek you aren’t going to gain any favor for allocated pieces.
Old 11 October 2021, 08:35 AM   #9
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Hello friend
Thank you for the honest feedback. I am actually
more interested in the classics like perpetual calendars if that’s what you meant by ‘PC’. However, I’ve heard that having a relationship with the AD helps get your hands on these pieces at retail if not below. What are your thoughts about that? Would it be wise to approach with that intention?

Old 11 October 2021, 08:38 AM   #10
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I hope you don’t mind me being straightforward here but you can’t build a good relationship with a Patek dealer lest you have several hundred k at the ready go buy watches.

I guess figure out what brands you are ready to buy and match those with ADs that carry them and Patek.

The good news is that you can go out and buy a Patek today. The brand is very accessible provided you have good taste and want a classic PC or AC or world timer.

Bottom line is watches are there to be bought but if you’re aren’t going to buy a Patek you aren’t going to gain any favor for allocated pieces.

Also, if you do recommend the AD route, which one would you refer? (If you have any particular one you’ve worked with that you trust and confide in their demeanor with you so far)

Thanks in advance

Old 12 October 2021, 12:18 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Hello friend
Thank you for the honest feedback. I am actually
more interested in the classics like perpetual calendars if that’s what you meant by ‘PC’. However, I’ve heard that having a relationship with the AD helps get your hands on these pieces at retail if not below. What are your thoughts about that? Would it be wise to approach with that intention?

If you’re just looking to buy perpetual calendars (5740 aside) you’ll have no problem making friends with any AD in the country.

I don’t have a preferred AD I can recommend in your area unfortunately.
Old 12 October 2021, 05:06 PM   #12
Becweb
Banned

Why do you want the "desirable" pieces only? These watches are luxury items, agreed value retention is a good thing for some watches but shouldn't be the primary criteria for purchase IMO.
Apologies but i hope you won't be able to get any of the "desirable" pieces if this is what your true motive is.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 06:26 AM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for considering to help out. I’m nowhere close to spending a $100k on a single timepiece today but do I aspire to be there one day? Absolutely. I admire a number of good timepieces out there that people hunt down like wild hogs before the owner even has an idea of whether he’d ever consider selling them. So as brutal as it’s been for some big name pieces, I’d still hope to think one day I’d get to experience one myself, and see what joy and awe people talk about when they got theirs. I’m looking to eventually get a PP 5270/5271. And the world of PP is already a wildfire when I got in to collecting and learning about watches.
So is it worth going the AD route? And if so, do you have an honest AD in mind you recommend in the CONUS?
If not the AD route, what other approach would you recommend?
Again, much appreciate your prompt response. Please be as direct and honest in any way you can be. Atleast that way I’d waste valuable less time of yours.

probably in a similar situation as me. 5270 is definitely a grail piece. I just keep checking with multiple ADs in my area and mention pieces I am interested in - bought a few watches here and there so I am not expecting anything anymore. unsure if I ever get the call. I am hopeful about a DD 40 olive dial in rose gold soon - but who knows.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 12:06 PM   #14
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If you’re just looking to buy perpetual calendars (5740 aside) you’ll have no problem making friends with any AD in the country.

I don’t have a preferred AD I can recommend in your area unfortunately.

Wooww really? I thought these pieces are on a lookout alert for a lot other collectors with big footings in the journey already. Didn’t know it’s that easy to just establish rapport with any AD for PC/AC pieces! What AD/s do you personally use? Are they within the continental US? Or anywhere abroad? Not asking to identity reveal. Just asking to gauge the trend within the group here for looking up locally or outsourcing to ADs across the globe.
I appreciate your response and thank you for considering to give some insight on the topic.