The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2021, 01:38 AM   #1
GSolo
"TRF" Member

Old Speedy (1863) vs New (3861)

So I went to my local AD today, just to check in and strike up a friendly conversation and of course look at some watches.

At some point in the conversation the SA pulled out the new speedmaster and the old one, I'm intrigued to purchase either but I find it hard to make up my mind.

The pros of the old one is primarily legacy and the fact that it's a bit cheaper, also I like the old bracelet a lot more than the new tapered one (even though I'm probably the only one who thinks that )

Pros of the 3861 is the updated co-axial movement, metas and hacking seconds.

If it was just a matter of the bracelet I'd pick the old one any day, but the movement geek in me is gravitating towards the 3861... Of course I could find another bracelet or strap but given I primarily wear all my watches on bracelets I cant justify putting on a 3rd party bracelet :p ...

I don't really care for the "buy the 1863" and hope it goes up in price, maybe it will, maybe it wont, it's going to be discontinued but there's still plenty for sale here and there..

How do you guys handle dilemmas like these?
GSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 01:45 AM   #2
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you already made up your mind, go for the old one. You prefer this bracelet and the price is better.

The new one has some issues with the movement but those will likely be solved within now and a couple of months.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 02:08 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I think you missed the main pro on the new one, that dial. New for me
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 02:35 AM   #4
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Old Speedy (1863) vs New (3861)

I handled it by sticking with my older classic one, 3570.50 (1861).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 September 2021, 03:08 AM   #5
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Sounds like you already made up your mind, go for the old one. You prefer this bracelet and the price is better.

The new one has some issues with the movement but those will likely be solved within now and a couple of months.
This is not the first time I have head this, can you point to a source? It seems like this is something that could be parroted or overblown (not saying it is). I have had the 3861 since January with zero issues, and the accuracy is near or better than quartz on mine.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 03:55 AM   #6
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
This is not the first time I have head this, can you point to a source? It seems like this is something that could be parroted or overblown (not saying it is). I have had the 3861 since January with zero issues, and the accuracy is near or better than quartz on mine.
There's a long thread about this on omegaforums along with the technical bulletins Omega issued to have this corrected.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 04:55 AM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
There's a long thread about this on omegaforums along with the technical bulletins Omega issued to have this corrected.
Right, I think I came across that, but if I recall it wasn't these new moon watches, wasn't it the early Apollo 11 watches that exhibited issues?
Old 24 September 2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Right, I think I came across that, but if I recall it wasn't these new moon watches, wasn't it the early Apollo 11 watches that exhibited issues?
It was the regular/new speedmaster professional.

Quote:
Omega has made a modification to the 3861 movement by changing a bushing in the movement to a replacement made of a different material, and has also altered the recommended oiling procedure to remedy the issue. Within a short period of time all new 3861 movements should have that change implemented from the factory and any that do have issues should be covered under warranty and will likely be upgraded at the time of their first service.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/3861...t-post.120071/
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 09:00 PM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
I handled it by sticking with my older classic one, 3570.50 (1861).

This is what I'm doing for now, too.

At some point I'll probably pick up a new Speedmaster Pro and keep both until I know my preference.

Also, my 3570.50 just happens to operate really nicely; winds smoothly, chrono operates crisply, and it keeps great time. I'm reluctant to let go of such a prime example.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 09:02 PM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSolo View Post
So I went to my local AD today, just to check in and strike up a friendly conversation and of course look at some watches.

At some point in the conversation the SA pulled out the new speedmaster and the old one, I'm intrigued to purchase either but I find it hard to make up my mind.

The pros of the old one is primarily legacy and the fact that it's a bit cheaper, also I like the old bracelet a lot more than the new tapered one (even though I'm probably the only one who thinks that )

If it was just a matter of the bracelet I'd pick the old one any day, but the movement geek in me is gravitating towards the 3861... Of course I could find another bracelet or strap but given I primarily wear all my watches on bracelets I cant justify putting on a 3rd party bracelet :p ...

I don't really care for the "buy the 1863" and hope it goes up in price, maybe it will, maybe it wont, it's going to be discontinued but there's still plenty for sale here and there..

I had the 1861 and foolishy sold it years ago.

I recently went through the same expeirence.

I bought the 3861, the improvements to the movement and the bracelet were brilliant and I am very pleased.

I buy to wear so I cannot help you with other questions, this was a great add back to my collection and in fact this is the first watch I have ever sold and then rebought
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 11:11 PM   #11
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
A few months ago, I did the exact same thing. In the end, I bought the old version because to my eyes, it has a better lug design and I like the dial better. I wear it only on a strap so the bracelet was not a factor. This watch has become my daily and I don't wear any of my Rolex watches anymore.

Good luck
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 05:18 PM   #12
ommmjido
"TRF" Member

The bracelet is one of the main upgrades on the new moon watch. If you prefer the old bracelet then I don’t see much point getting it.
ommmjido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 05:55 PM   #13
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
the new speedmaster 3861 looks to vintage for my tastes.

i chose to buy the 1863 before it got discontinued.

while the new movement is a good upgrade, the old one is well established and looks better
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 10:04 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own both the 3861 on the bracelet and the 1861 on bracelet. Both are great watches and fun to wear. I have the 1861 on aftermarket straps and bracelets. The timing is fine on the 1861 but is perfect on the 3861 and the new dial and bracelet make it worth the price of admission. If I had to choose it would be the 3861 all day long and twice on Sunday. Not because the 1861 is deficient in any way but the improvements, especially the movement, are that significant for me. No wrong answer for you as both are great but if you are a movement and accuracy person the 3861 is the answer. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210714_120800 (002).jpg (273.5 KB, 904 views)
File Type: jpg 20210714_113011 (002).jpg (219.6 KB, 903 views)
File Type: jpg 20210713_140253 (002).jpg (250.7 KB, 891 views)
File Type: jpg 20210803_153716 (002).jpg (286.3 KB, 897 views)
File Type: jpg 20210813_135113 (002).jpg (218.4 KB, 906 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 08:23 PM   #15
GSolo
"TRF" Member

So I ended up settling on the 1863 and I do not regret it it's a beautiful piece and I'm already bonding with it haha.

Sometime in the future I might have to get the 3861 as well but we'll see :D
GSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:49 PM   #16
Mjbull23
"TRF" Member

Can’t go wrong with either! Nice pickup!

Mjbull23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:01 AM   #17
DD58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

At some point I'll probably pick up a new Speedmaster Pro and keep both until I know my preference.

Also, my 3570.50 just happens to operate really nicely; winds smoothly, chrono operates crisply, and it keeps great time. I'm reluctant to let go of such a prime example.

What strap do you have on the speedy? I’m going to have to steal your idea!!!! Looks epic

DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:40 AM   #18
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

Love this picture Tony! It makes me miss the 1863 on a croco strap that I had and sold. Maybe it's time to find another one.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:21 PM   #19
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD58 View Post
What strap do you have on the speedy? I’m going to have to steal your idea!!!! Looks epic

These are the strap and clasp that were original equipment on the previous generation Speedmaster Pro. The strap is black alligator and it's soft and comfy, and it's the one that tapers to 16mm at the clasp.

I'll see if I can find part numbers for the strap and clasp, but I can confirm these are the components that came standard on (discontinued) reference number 311.33.42.30.01.001

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31133423001001

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:13 PM   #20
Av8or3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSolo View Post

You and I might be in the minority when it comes to the bracelet. I tried it on while I was on a trip in Switzerland and wasn't a fan. Didn't feel as substantial as the bracelet on my 1863. I felt like it was lighter than what I'm used to and the clasp felt too dainty. I also prefer the dial on the previous generation. I will admit, I'm a fan of the new movement in the 3861, especially the ability to hack. I have a Seamster with the co-axial escapement and enjoy it's incredible accuracy. My 1863 gains roughly 5-6/day. Congratulations on the new piece, wear it in good health!
Av8or3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 06:19 PM   #21
nm4710
"TRF" Member

The 1861 had become a classic. The 3861 is a cool watch but no longer a classic - too many new features and unnecessary details that just don’t jive with the speedmaster no-frills ethos IMO. The new bracelet is more comfortable but is so light it feels kind of cheap IMO. In 10-15 years I might change my tune and embrace the 3861. By that time the speedmaster will probably have an OLED display, Bluetooth tracking, and solar power.

N
nm4710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:28 PM   #22
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post
The 1861 had become a classic. The 3861 is a cool watch but no longer a classic - too many new features and unnecessary details that just don’t jive with the speedmaster no-frills ethos IMO. The new bracelet is more comfortable but is so light it feels kind of cheap IMO. In 10-15 years I might change my tune and embrace the 3861. By that time the speedmaster will probably have an OLED display, Bluetooth tracking, and solar power.

N
too many "new features unnecessary details" like a new movement?
Old 14 October 2021, 09:04 AM   #23
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Still happy with my ole 861 movement, :)
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 04:28 AM   #24
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Still in love with my 1861! Can't ever see wanting to change. It works just fine and is and will forever be a classic!

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:34 PM   #25
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I’m desperately hoping to still find a brand new 1861 early next year at a reasonable price. I compared old vs new and very much disliked the new one. The band looks and feels cheap, the dial color is too dark for my taste, don’t like the stepped dial, don’t like that it’s so far not used by NASA and accordingly has the new legaleese wording on the back.
The new movement is probably technically better but that’s not why I want a Speedmaster of that kind of caliber (I still have my 1989 Speedy reduced which is extremely accurate and beats my Rolex in that regard). The cheapened out on the new packaging and case candy also.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 11:34 PM   #26
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
don’t like that it’s so far not used by NASA
I always find this argument peculiar. The watch is so new. Of course it hasn't been used yet. Who's to say that it won't be used in the future?
Old 17 October 2021, 01:05 AM   #27
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I always find this argument peculiar. The watch is so new. Of course it hasn't been used yet. Who's to say that it won't be used in the future?
Realistically NASA has not used speedmasters for EVAs for a long time - best photos I’ve seen have it up to the early shuttle missions. The Russians have used the 1861 a lot - still part of their EVA wear and worn for launch/return for ANYONE launching on Soyuz, regardless of nationality. With SpaceX now launching Americans, I don’t think they have a set watch requirement, but believe I saw one of the crew 1 astronauts wearing a X33. I think Bezos must have an agreement with omega for the 3861 (Bezos is known to previously wear an 1861), as all the Blue Origin “astronauts” can be seen outfitted with a speedmaster over their suit.

Me personally, I just liked that the 861/1861 was tested by NASA themselves and was at one point part of their official gear - a piece of space history, that remains officially certified by NASA, while the 3861 is not officially certified for all manned space missions and EVA. My suspicion is that NASAs lack of use lately, and lack of certification of the 3861 indicates they have a different plan in mind for moon and Mars missions (earth time mechanical watches won’t work on mars). That said, I’m sure omega would pay an incredible amount of money to get back to the moon. I just don’t know if it’ll be a speedmaster professional, or an X33 variant.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 02:22 AM   #28
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I own both the 3861 on the bracelet and the 1861 on bracelet. Both are great watches and fun to wear. I have the 1861 on aftermarket straps and bracelets. The timing is fine on the 1861 but is perfect on the 3861 and the new dial and bracelet make it worth the price of admission. If I had to choose it would be the 3861 all day long and twice on Sunday. Not because the 1861 is deficient in any way but the improvements, especially the movement, are that significant for me. No wrong answer for you as both are great but if you are a movement and accuracy person the 3861 is the answer. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
LOVE that black strap on the 1861. Care to PM me where you found that?

Thanks, and lovely pieces both!

J
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 10:12 PM   #29
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrhc View Post
LOVE that black strap on the 1861. Care to PM me where you found that?

Thanks, and lovely pieces both!

J
PM sent.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 04:58 AM   #30
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Realistically NASA has not used speedmasters for EVAs for a long time - best photos I’ve seen have it up to the early shuttle missions. The Russians have used the 1861 a lot - still part of their EVA wear and worn for launch/return for ANYONE launching on Soyuz, regardless of nationality. With SpaceX now launching Americans, I don’t think they have a set watch requirement, but believe I saw one of the crew 1 astronauts wearing a X33. I think Bezos must have an agreement with omega for the 3861 (Bezos is known to previously wear an 1861), as all the Blue Origin “astronauts” can be seen outfitted with a speedmaster over their suit.

Me personally, I just liked that the 861/1861 was tested by NASA themselves and was at one point part of their official gear - a piece of space history, that remains officially certified by NASA, while the 3861 is not officially certified for all manned space missions and EVA. My suspicion is that NASAs lack of use lately, and lack of certification of the 3861 indicates they have a different plan in mind for moon and Mars missions (earth time mechanical watches won’t work on mars). That said, I’m sure omega would pay an incredible amount of money to get back to the moon. I just don’t know if it’ll be a speedmaster professional, or an X33 variant.

My thoughts exactly on the 1861. I bought mine early last year kinda knowing there would be an update and I’m glad I went for it. It isn’t perfect and I do struggle with the OEM bracelet, however after I picked it up I ordered the black snoopy strap and deployant which are fantastic.

Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote