The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2021, 08:19 AM   #91
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I know plenty of dealers which proclaim publicly low margins, but know none that actually operate on such low margins.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:25 PM   #92
MYBROTHERSKEEPER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieNZ View Post
Interesting video on YouTube today from CRM Jewellers where the owner says he has many people contacting them to sell their watches.

Watched that episode too. A lot of people want to make a quick buck. Just like every other hard to get item. People are trying to hustle like there is no tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MYBROTHERSKEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 04:26 PM   #93
RJM25R
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
Rolex have mad a similar amount of watches for many years , it's not entirely their fault that lots more people want them these days
Yes, I agree but my point was that they COULD make more but don’t want to.

The motor car industry can’t make enough cars at the moment but they WANT to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswordfish View Post
That’s the way it always was until around 6-7 years ago. Gray dealers were where you went for discounts….that’s the model. To think that that’s not going to be where this ultimately ends is incredibly naive. It’s just a matter of when.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Rolex/grays selling Rolex will NEVER go back to discounting and you can quote me on that.

I’m not suggesting that watches may not drop in value, but Rolex demand is outstripping supply now for 10 years and as such there is no way they will fall below retail. The flipping/profit monster phenomenon has only existed for 3-4 years….

if a global disaster of Covid 19 hasn’t done it, what do we need for it to happen?

WW3?
RJM25R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 08:52 PM   #94
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
I had an interesting conversation today with a UK Grey Dealer owner, some of his comments and business worries may indicate that change may be coming.
I will summarise the main conversation points.

1. He states he is now forced to massively over pay for all Rolex's even by todays rampant standards, just to fill his displays and web site such is the buying frenzy. The pressure on his business finances is not sustainable, he cannot restock at affordable prices and has extended credit with his bank.

2. Flippers are asking/demanding massive premiums to seal the deal, often pitting competing Greys against each other for the best price.

3. The amount of capital invested in stock vs return/profit is at critical level and some deals go through with a £ 50 profit margin on a Rolex worth between £ 10K to £15K.

4. He has told me that some Flippers are now at professional level, they operate between AD's and Greys and are cashing in on a large number of Rolexes which are days old, unused and have just come from a EU or UK AD's directly. Some of these Flippers are highly organised and have access to any Rolex watch.

5. The UK Tax man has realised the profit potential and money passing thru and demanded his share.

I got the honest and distinct impression from him that All the effort and financial risk was starting to become to much for little reward.

Who knows maybe the Grey market will eventually weaken and disappear?

No one would be investing 10/15k for 50£ profit
Take away 1/6 for vat margin scheme
20% for tax
over heads
He or she has probably made 25£

0.25% ROI
I don't personally think they would buy a watch with that return
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:17 PM   #95
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
No one would be investing 10/15k for 50£ profit
Take away 1/6 for vat margin scheme
20% for tax
over heads
He or she has probably made 25£

0.25% ROI
I don't personally think they would buy a watch with that return
Yea that grey is pissing on your head and telling you it’s raining lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:19 PM   #96
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Yea that grey is pissing on your head and telling you it’s raining lol
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:27 PM   #97
Duckman25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had an interesting conversation today with a UK Grey Dealer owner, some of his comments and business worries may indicate that change may be coming.

1. He states he is now forced to massively over pay for all Rolex's even by todays rampant standards, just to fill his displays and web site such is the buying frenzy. The pressure on his business finances is not sustainable, he cannot restock at affordable prices and has extended credit with his bank.

2. Flippers are asking/demanding massive premiums to seal the deal, often pitting competing Greys against each other for the best price.

3. The amount of capital invested in stock vs return/profit is at critical level and some deals go through with a £ 50 profit margin on a Rolex worth between £ 10K to £15K.

4. He has told me that some Flippers are now at professional level, they operate between AD's and Greys and are cashing in on a large number of Rolexes which are days old, unused and have just come from a EU or UK AD's directly. Some of these Flippers are highly organised and have access to any Rolex watch.

5. The UK Tax man has realised the profit potential and money passing thru and demanded his share.

I got the honest and distinct impression from him that All the effort and financial risk was starting to become to much for little reward.

Something sounds a little fishy about the whole story. Since when did jewelers not make massive profits on their inventory? I have never heard of a poor jeweler so if this guy can't make a profit on trade ins (let alone selling watches), it is his business practices that are causing it. More importantly, it is in every asset class that is over pumped with cheap credit from central banks that at some point will go bust. Waiting and being patient.
Duckman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 03:27 AM   #98
absoluteczech
"TRF" Member

I believe it. A lot of these stupid resellers are just selling between one another and hedging the prices keep going up. They buy at 16/17 and hope it goes for 18k. Then they all buy at 18/19 and hope it goes to 20 and start asking 20. It's an endless cycle

I had ask several greys and resellers about getting a BLNR for around 16,500-17k and all said "I have more invested in the watch" which goes to show how little profit margin they really are making on these watches.
absoluteczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 03:41 AM   #99
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I still feels like this pricing hierarchy is like a house of cards, when it falls, many of the shop will close overnight and owner never seen again.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 04:11 AM   #100
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
Yes, I agree but my point was that they COULD make more but don’t want to.

The motor car industry can’t make enough cars at the moment but they WANT to!

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Rolex/grays selling Rolex will NEVER go back to discounting and you can quote me on that.

I’m not suggesting that watches may not drop in value, but Rolex demand is outstripping supply now for 10 years and as such there is no way they will fall below retail. The flipping/profit monster phenomenon has only existed for 3-4 years….

if a global disaster of Covid 19 hasn’t done it, what do we need for it to happen?

WW3?
COVID and massive fiscal stimulus have caused the problems. When COVID is over and we have to start paying off the bills, that's when the Rolex craziness will stop. Worldwide production and supply will return to normal. You'll be able to buy that new car, PS5, Rolex - if you can still afford it when austerity hits.

House prices are increasing everywhere in the UK. It makes no sense unless you factor in COVID and fiscal stimulus, There is going to be a terrible hangover after the government spending frenzy stops. It all has to be paid for.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 04:25 AM   #101
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
I believe it. A lot of these stupid resellers are just selling between one another and hedging the prices keep going up. They buy at 16/17 and hope it goes for 18k. Then they all buy at 18/19 and hope it goes to 20 and start asking 20. It's an endless cycle

I had ask several greys and resellers about getting a BLNR for around 16,500-17k and all said "I have more invested in the watch" which goes to show how little profit margin they really are making on these watches.
That is exactly what fueled the tulip mania. It was resellers buying tulip options, not even the actual bulbs because they hadn't even been grown yet. The banks were lending on the tulip options, so resellers would buy the tulip options and levered up 10:1. Then they would turn around and sell the option to another party. The original party then paid back their loan and kept the profit. The next party had often times already gone to the same bank and levered up 10:1 for that same option, so they had to find a 3rd party now to sell, repay the loan, and walk away with profit. Sometimes the same option traded hands 10 times in a single day, with all of the buyers using 10:1 leverage and scalping profits each time. It wasn't until the first bank saw this and said no, we are taking away the leverage, that the rest of the banks also took away the leverage and the music stopped playing.

On top of that everyone couldn't conduct their normal, routine businesses because the Black Plague was sweeping through Europe at the time and Holland was getting hit. The virus pandemic created a situation of easy money with the banks and bored/desperate merchants, all wanting to trade and make easy profits.

See any resemblance to today?
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 04:26 AM   #102
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
they are doing just fine, they find way to transfer the cost to the end buyers
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 04:40 AM   #103
RJM25R
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
COVID and massive fiscal stimulus have caused the problems. When COVID is over and we have to start paying off the bills, that's when the Rolex craziness will stop. Worldwide production and supply will return to normal. You'll be able to buy that new car, PS5, Rolex - if you can still afford it when austerity hits.

House prices are increasing everywhere in the UK. It makes no sense unless you factor in COVID and fiscal stimulus, There is going to be a terrible hangover after the government spending frenzy stops. It all has to be paid for.
Rolex envy and flipping frenzies (along with house prices and Porsche/Ferrari et al) existed before covid, they are not products of the pandemic……

There will be austerity but not at the levels being preached here. Rich will stay rich and keep buying, and people who couldn’t afford it and never could will be on their ar$es.

BTW, football or Rugby?
RJM25R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 04:48 AM   #104
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post

That’s what I’d tell you too if I didn’t want to sell you the watch.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 05:04 AM   #105
Goochy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1019, DSSD.
Quote:

Brilliant.
Goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 05:33 AM   #106
ugoblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieNZ View Post
Federico has said his mark up is between 20 - 30%.

I think this would be more the norm and what is required to stay in business.
Federico sells lots of other brands and doesn't appear to rely just on Rolex.

Competition from pre-owned watch dealers for inventory will drive up prices. If there are too many people trying to get into the business of being a pre-owned dealer, then there is going to be an artificially high demand until as the OP indicates, all the johnny come-latelys can't afford to buy inventory.

The "organized nature" of flipper intermediaries between the pre-owned dealers is worrisome, as they could easily become gangs of organized crime pressuring ADs to sell only to the gang.
ugoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:35 AM   #107
Yas.2k
"TRF" Member

I’ve sold to pre owned here in UK before Covid and they were making about £1000/1500 on each watch. Well that’s what they were making if it sold at the listed price.
Yas.2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:40 AM   #108
Yas.2k
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention that was mainly not rolex
Yas.2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 08:59 AM   #109
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

Grey Dealers beginning to break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

Quoted…

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 10:00 AM   #110
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I know plenty of dealers which proclaim publicly low margins, but know none that actually operate on such low margins.
Do you know the actual margins of any grey dealers?
Old 20 October 2021, 07:56 AM   #111
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't understand what the "flippers" are ... can someone help me?
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 10:30 AM   #112
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Do you know the actual margins of any grey dealers?
One can gauge their margins by asking them what deal they're prepared to do by comparing the difference between a consignment arrangement and selling the watch to them.
Of course we need to factor in how long a watch is likely to be sitting in their inventory if they buy it from you outright.

But a consignment arrangement will likely yield the biggest return to an owner depending on age, condition and service history. Taking this into consideration, a grey that has to potentially assume responsibility/costs for pre inspection and or servicing and cover a warranty will likely have their margins squeezed, especially if they have to pay someone else to do the work.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 10:54 AM   #113
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
One can gauge their margins by asking them what deal they're prepared to do by comparing the difference between a consignment arrangement and selling the watch to them.
Of course we need to factor in how long a watch is likely to be sitting in their inventory if they buy it from you outright.
I have seen a dealer offer a price outright for a Pepsi that was awfully close to the prevailing asking prices quoted.

Asia is a low margins kind of place, but even I was surprised by how small the spread was.

They must have ready buyers, or confidence in being able to move it on at the asking prices.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 06:24 PM   #114
Gary.
"TRF" Member

A lot of the greys that can't be afford to be exposed to such a high degree for so little gain will go.

It's as simple as that.

Do we think that there aren't enough grey dealers?

Once they go, the remaining dealers will be in a better position to offer the greediest flippers less and things will be become more sensible.

The current madness is unsustainable.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 08:10 PM   #115
telesquire
Banned

In a moment of boredom I screen shot a UK greys mighty list of Daytona. Twelve days later that list is exactly the same. That's not what I call 'in demand'
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 08:20 PM   #116
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I agree, this UK gray dealer won’t be in business long if what he says is true.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 09:25 PM   #117
Alvar*
"TRF" Member

I guess the situation for greys can be hard in UK becaue Brexit has basicly pushed them out of the EU internal market?
Alvar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 10:48 PM   #118
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Some greys drive ferraris….sounds like 50$ a watch profit lol…
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 11:24 PM   #119
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugoblue View Post
Federico sells lots of other brands and doesn't appear to rely just on Rolex.

Competition from pre-owned watch dealers for inventory will drive up prices. If there are too many people trying to get into the business of being a pre-owned dealer, then there is going to be an artificially high demand until as the OP indicates, all the johnny come-latelys can't afford to buy inventory.

The "organized nature" of flipper intermediaries between the pre-owned dealers is worrisome, as they could easily become gangs of organized crime pressuring ADs to sell only to the gang.
He is definitely a contrarian in terms of his inventory and message.

He stocks a bunch of low demand, but high margin watches because he can acquire them for peanuts.

Then he produces YouTube content to attempt to dissuade Rolex buyers….

It’s funny, but he seems to have found a niche and his blended margins are pretty good.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:42 AM   #120
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
He's running a business and he's just realised that he needs to make provision for tax? Impossible to take seriously.
No that is your misplaced assumption!

"The UK Tax man has realised the profit potential and money passing thru and demanded his share".

What my friend added but I summarised above was that HMRC are now scrutinising closely all financial activity with preowned watch purchases and sales through his business and others who he deals with. He speculated this was because some Grey dealers are operating two sets of accountancy books and because of potential money laundering within the high end watch market.

Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote