The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2021, 07:10 AM   #31
Kelvin Knight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
Takes some getting used too. Wasn’t that long ago I was getting Now “hard to get “ watches below retail. Paid $7,700 for the last 116610lv I purchased brand new!
When? 2017, approximately? Half a decade ago now. Pretty long time, both objectively and subjectively. Things done changed.

Whatever you do: DON’T search “Grey Market Rolex” on YouTube!
Kelvin Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:46 AM   #32
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Usually the dummy display models have the hands fixed to ‘Rolex time’ 10:10:32

The models I saw recently in my local AD window all had their hands at different random times so my guess is these were genuine working models.

The point being that the AD’s are definitely getting some supplies of the hot models but as always are being very selective who they let buy them.

I must confess I feel fortunate to have a reasonably decent relationship with one particular AD who has helped me grow my collection to where it is now.

The fact I’ve never paid a dime over retail for any of them makes me enjoy them even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Max,

I read a post recently saying that although a dummy watch won't keep time, the hands are moveable. The poster had been in an AD with display models and noticed that all watches were at 10:10 but a SkyDweller. He grabbed his C/C only to discover someone had been learning how to set a SkyDweller and the hands were not at 10:10.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:38 AM   #33
Albatross
"TRF" Member

I wish my AD had every model of Rolex on display. Whether I can buy any of them or not doesn’t matter. If I really want it there are ways. I can wait it out, build the relationship, pay the gray premium…where there’s a will there’s usually a way. But my bigger issue is the ability to actually see a model in person. Try it on my wrist. Feel the weight. Judge the size on my 7.5 inch wrist. Judge the thickness (which I think is actually a bigger deal killer for me than case width)…etc.

To be able to try on watches that I have never seen in person but only in pictures would give me a much better idea of what I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:00 AM   #34
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I was in the Tourneau store at Bal Harbour Shops in FL last week. Cases were relatively full. SA said they were display models with no movements. They also has some women's PM pieces with various versions of diamonds that were probably the real thing. They were in a different case. I could adjust the hands on the SkyDweller but none of the other functions worked so maybe they put a stripped movement in the display models
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:15 AM   #35
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Its getting really easy to tell when Rolex is someones first experience with the luxury goods industry...

That having been said,
As someone who doesn't like kicking tires, the idea of being able to try on a watch i cant afford (at the time) while knowing full well i'm not able to purchase it. It makes me feel a little better about potentially wasting a SAs time

As i dont live in a Watch hot spot, the only chance i'll likely get to see a Daytona or Skydweller in the flesh is to walk into an AD stocked with display models

If you want to try something on and then buy it, i'm sure there are plenty of Grey Dealers out there who would love to take your money
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:53 AM   #36
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Its getting really easy to tell when Rolex is someones first experience with the luxury goods industry...
No, just not used to “Semi” high end stores (Rolex) not taking my money! Lol
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:52 PM   #37
GMTMasterDallas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This is Rolex confirmation that this is the new way to purchase a Rolex as Rolex would never invest in Display models if this current market wasn’t going to be long term.
It doesn’t get any clearer signed than this you are not going to see models you can buy in dealers display case. You don’t have to like it but you better accept it or look at another brand.
If this was irreversible, I'd agree with you, it would be a very good point. The thing is though the display model is the exact same as the complete retail watch except it doesn't have a movement... That's really it. All it takes if Rolex decides to reverse it is to have the AD's send the watches back in and they pop movements into them. They'd then send the same watches back to the AD's. I don't know if the display models have serial numbers or not (I'd assume they do either on the rehaute, case, or inside the case), but if they don't they can just engrave serial numbers while at factory/service centers when they're getting their movements put in. Then that display model becomes a normal retail model that can be sold. Any potential wear on them, although there likely wouldn't be much, would be the wear similar to that that many watches have when they sit in a case for a while and get tried on without anyone buying them. These models are still gold, platinum, have diamonds, etc. They wouldn't want to go to all the trouble and expense of making the cases, setting the stones, etc. without them eventually being sellable at a future point.
Old 21 October 2021, 05:53 PM   #38
Becweb
Banned

Can we please stop comparing a Rolex to a ferrari or other real luxury and exclusive items?
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:58 PM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
Go back a few pages to find the many threads on this situation that already has been discussed 100x
Have to agree and now beaten to death,Rolex no longer make watches to sell to Joe public but they still manged to sell around 850000 -900000 watches most years,perhaps less over the last almost two years owing to a worldwide pandemic..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:58 PM   #40
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTMasterDallas View Post
If this was irreversible, I'd agree with you, it would be a very good point. The thing is though the display model is the exact same as the complete retail watch except it doesn't have a movement... That's really it. All it takes if Rolex decides to reverse it is to have the AD's send the watches back in and they pop movements into them. They'd then send the same watches back to the AD's. I don't know if the display models have serial numbers or not (I'd assume they do either on the rehaute, case, or inside the case), but if they don't they can just engrave serial numbers while at factory/service centers when they're getting their movements put in. Then that display model becomes a normal retail model that can be sold. Any potential wear on them, although there likely wouldn't be much, would be the wear similar to that that many watches have when they sit in a case for a while and get tried on without anyone buying them. These models are still gold, platinum, have diamonds, etc. They wouldn't want to go to all the trouble and expense of making the cases, setting the stones, etc. without them eventually being sellable at a future point.
The Exhibition Only watches I tried on were working watches, i'm sure that they could be sold if the store choose to do so.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:23 PM   #41
pepe01
"TRF" Member

In my life, I and my wife never try to wear Rolex watch even once.
I plan to buy Explorer I for my wife next March 2022.

I visit Rolex AD few months ago, there was no Explorer I for trying.
Last week, AD in Bangkok has "Exibition only watches" but not Explorer I.
So, we don't try them(GMT, Sub, Airking) because we don't plan to buy other models.

However, we visit Omega and she tried Aqua Terra 38mm. on her wrist and we agree to buy Omega if next year we still cannot buy Explorer I from Rolex AD.

*We will visit other Rolex AD and try Explorer I on her wrist by herself. If she finds that she don't like it. (She "think" 36mm.without day and plain dial is suit for her) It will be good for us because we can decide to by Omega without hesitate.
pepe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:28 PM   #42
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
Go back a few pages to find the many threads on this situation that already has been discussed 100x
….a million times lols.
Op, welcome to about seven months ago.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:30 PM   #43
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
The Exhibition Only watches I tried on were working watches, i'm sure that they could be sold if the store choose to do so.
That can’t. Rolex sends those specifically to exhibit. I suppose they could say screw it but when the Rolex rep drops by, they’re the ones screwed.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 04:55 AM   #44
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
That can’t. Rolex sends those specifically to exhibit. I suppose they could say screw it but when the Rolex rep drops by, they’re the ones screwed.
My AD is part of the WoS group and I got the impression was that this was a WoS initiative as it is in every WoS store but I may well be wrong.

Old 22 October 2021, 06:16 AM   #45
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Stop whining! Go Hublot AD, plenty of stock there.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 06:26 AM   #46
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Why would you want to buy an exhibition model? They aren’t functioning watches and subsequently unavailable for purchase.

They aren’t picking and choosing who gets those because Nobody buys the exhibition models that are on display.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 06:41 AM   #47
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Why would you want to buy an exhibition model? They aren’t functioning watches and subsequently unavailable for purchase.

They aren’t picking and choosing who gets those because Nobody buys the exhibition models that are on display.
Sorry to throw a spanner in your thought process but the 'EO' watches I have seen and tried are fully functional.

But I guess that may not apply everywhere.

Old 22 October 2021, 07:27 AM   #48
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to throw a spanner in your thought process but the 'EO' watches I have seen and tried are fully functional.

But I guess that may not apply everywhere.

They must because the ones I finally got a chance to see were disabled
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 02:44 PM   #49
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
Can we please stop comparing a Rolex to a ferrari or other real luxury and exclusive items?
No - because the economics of the problem people are complaining about is EXACTLY the same.
Answer: a)Do: build a relationship with your AD if you can/want or b) Do not. go Grey. Master Yoda: "Do or Do not - there is no try!"
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 03:47 PM   #50
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
What makes you think a Ferrari is exclusive?? It’s the same shit there too.
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 05:15 PM   #51
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure, I’ll do some detective work and reword my topic twenty times before I find it rather than just ask again. Also, before anyone asks any question as far comparing a sub to a GMT make sure you tell them the same. Perhaps if you see a topic discussed more than once you may just want to scroll on instead of taking time out to be obnoxious.
No need to be a passive aggressive drama queen. Your topic is different since no one else finds the strategy baffling.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 05:28 PM   #52
shwingus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH419 View Post
In premium or luxury spaces yeah this practice is common. Hermes - Birkin cant walk in and purchase, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Certain AMG models ect... can't just pick any model, have to work your way up, Richard Mille - Nobody can buy instore. I think Chanel just released a statement saying that customers can only purchase one bag per year. Imagine if Rolex did that, how many people would be pissed off.
For AMG's its only the black series models or the G63, everything else they will sell to you at a discount when its on the lot and there isn't a chip shortage. But I get your point.

As for the one watch per year policy, maybe they should actually consider that... Would be the quickest and cheapest way for Rolex to have their pieces end up in the hands of an actual end user as opposed to greys.

But alas there would be ways to get around it as a grey could claim him, his wife, his kids, his dog are all buying their own individual watches.
The implementation would also assume Rolex actually cares about its end users and all signs currently point to no.
shwingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 05:29 PM   #53
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Sure, I’ll do some detective work and reword my topic twenty times before I find it rather than just ask again. Also, before anyone asks any question as far comparing a sub to a GMT make sure you tell them the same. Perhaps if you see a topic discussed more than once you may just want to scroll on instead of taking time out to be obnoxious.
Did someone say obnoxious? Stand back, the professionals are here, sir.

I made the call for you...sit tight, they are on the way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whambulance.jpg (42.0 KB, 159 views)
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:49 AM   #54
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's a great idea, the current state of play is that unless you are a VVVIP at the AD you are not going to see a watch you want, as demand is massively exceeding supply, you just have to go to the AD and put your request in. Maybe at some point you will get a call and you can go and see it in the metal and decide how it looks and fits.

Or you can go grey and pay OTT prices.

Now I can go into my AD and try on a watch I like, does it fit, does it look right on my wrist etc etc, then I can say yes I want one or no its not for me. I did this with the JC DSSD and the SD43, love the look of the JC but it was way to big for me but the SD43 was a perfect fit so now my SA is doing their best to get me this watch.

Sure some people may not like this new development but for me it works.

Agreed. Given the current state of affairs, you can decisive in the flesh if a watch that you are interested in is one that you really want without having to buy it sight unseen/worn. It sure beats no seeing anything or having anything to try on.

It also gives you the opportunity to have a conversation with the AD and perhaps become someone that they think of when the watch you are interested in comes in to the store.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 04:20 AM   #55
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
What? Would you rather see empty display cases?
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 04:48 AM   #56
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Why would you want to buy an exhibition model?
On Instagram no-one knows that your watch doesn't run
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:18 AM   #57
Ganymede
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said.

It’s as though people like this knowingly put their hand on the hot stove, burn themselves, and then blame the person cooking.
Ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 08:16 PM   #58
Crazycollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD is part of the WoS group and I got the impression was that this was a WoS initiative as it is in every WoS store but I may well be wrong.
WoS I visited 2 weeks ago had working EO watches. I think this gives everyone opportunity to handle and feel these “waiting list watches” - so you know what you’ll get; but also display only watch allows for time wasters who will never buy a Rolex but just mishandle them - there are AD that ask “are you buying?” Otherwise will,not take out of cabinet!

WoS I visited 2 weeks ago had working EO watches. I think this gives everyone opportunity to handle and feel these “waiting list watches” - so you know what you’ll get; but also display only watch allows for time wasters who will never buy a Rolex but just mishandle them - there are AD that ask “are you buying?” Otherwise will,not take out of cabinet!

To be honest this isn’t a new concept - I’ve experienced when buying a gadget/phone/games console/TV the salesman come back from the stock room to say have to order item and display model is exactly that - for serious buyers to see/handle the product. IMO its a great to have EO pieces.
Crazycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 08:25 PM   #59
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycollector View Post
To be honest this isn’t a new concept - I’ve experienced when buying a gadget/phone/games console/TV the salesman come back from the stock room to say have to order item and display model is exactly that - for serious buyers to see/handle the product. IMO its a great to have EO pieces.
I was aware of it in the 1970s. A friend of mine was trying to turn his bike (motorcycle if you prefer) business into a brand franchise and was flabbergasted at the entry cost, a considerable proportion of it being display models paid for by him, not the manufacturer. He wasn't entirely ignorant, he just hadn't fully analysed the cost to him. He stayed in the used trade and forgot about the franchise.

I've lost count of the number of times I've encountered similar situations in all sectors in the years since. Now Rolex is doing it and it's wrong. They say ignorance is bliss. I'm not feeling the bliss in here.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 09:03 PM   #60
Mike507
"TRF" Member

Has anyone tried calling the cops yet to report the ADs for committing a crime.

I'm sure they would turn up and arrest someone for not selling you watch. It's definitely illegal.
Mike507 is offline   Reply With Quote