The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 21 October 2021, 08:26 AM   #31
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The universe is expanding at 82 kilometers per second and LUCKILY we are now, as of last week, out of reach of the nearest baddies.

Nah, nah na na nah. Can’t get us Can’t get us ….
Maybe.....they're already here.
Old 21 October 2021, 08:43 AM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
But are there Rolex ADs out there without a waiting list???
Otherwise, this information is absolutely useless.
Old 21 October 2021, 09:11 AM   #33
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
This is not correct. There’s a whole buncha math behind it. The stuff is real real hard; sound and looks “unprovable,” but only because of our own limitations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
He is right. If mankind lives on for another million years no one will ever know how old the universe is and the best part for those scientists claiming to know, no one will ever be able to prove them wrong or right. It’s perfect for them. Man thinks too much of himself. Pride is self destructive.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 21 October 2021, 06:43 PM   #34
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
He is right. If mankind lives on for another million years no one will ever know how old the universe is and the best part for those scientists claiming to know, no one will ever be able to prove them wrong or right. It’s perfect for them. Man thinks too much of himself. Pride is self destructive.

What absolute drivel.

Old 21 October 2021, 06:48 PM   #35
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I agree with Brett.

Old 21 October 2021, 07:48 PM   #36
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What absolute drivel.

Which part? Lol. Do you think mankind doesn’t think too much of himself? We are the most arrogant species on the planet. if you don’t believe it just ask us.

As far as the age and size of the universe goes that is one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever seen scientist talk about. It really is entertaining to me. Like Comedy Central. It’s the height of a man’s arrogance to think they would know such a thing or could ever figure it out. Not without a time machine sir.. Did you actually read the article our friend Blansky posted? It’s all about them basically admitting in a roundabout way they have no freaking idea. They don’t ever flat out say that because they can’t because they are arrogant. But that’s what the truth is. So they argue back-and-forth, have math war and change the outcome a dozen times in 50 years. If you really want to crack up go learn the truth about carbon dating. That is truly hilarious. No my friend they have absolutely no clue nor will they ever. And the reason is very simple. It’s impossible for them to ever 100% truly prove they are right. But the good news for them is no one will ever really truly 100% be able to prove them wrong. So there we are. I find the whole thing remarkably entertaining.

Instagram - patton250
Old 21 October 2021, 07:49 PM   #37
Brew
"TRF" Member

That’s a nice world salad Brett. Have a good morning.

Old 21 October 2021, 07:52 PM   #38
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s a nice world salad Brett. Have a good morning.

Powerful response. Do you know in a small way you proved at least one of my points? You have a wonderful morning yourself sir.

Instagram - patton250
Old 21 October 2021, 07:54 PM   #39
Brew
"TRF" Member

You don’t like science or math. I get it. So what?

Old 21 October 2021, 08:02 PM   #40
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You don’t like science or math. I get it. So what?

I love science and math. I married a scientist who also is a mathematician. I imagine she’s more intelligent than most people here. It’s scary sometimes. However the age of the universe is a theory. You’re the gift that keeps on giving my friend. Do you see your attitude towards this? You’re sold and thats fine but you like most, not all but most scientists look down at anyone that has the audacity to disagree with them. The idea of them not being correct is utterly ridiculous and therefore only ignorant Neanderthals with the lack of brain power to understand would think different. Complete and total arrogance and pride as well as completely untrue. And the reason? See below

Theory is NOT fact.

Instagram - patton250
Old 21 October 2021, 08:04 PM   #41
Brew
"TRF" Member

My best to the Mrs., please.

Old 21 October 2021, 09:11 PM   #42
austinp
"TRF" Member

Winner Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 October 2021, 10:07 PM   #43
Brew
"TRF" Member

Brett requires 100% certitude from science and math, but has no such requirement for anything he might offer in the alternative. Winner indeed.

Old 21 October 2021, 10:14 PM   #44
TRS1
"TRF" Member

I like when people say, “I don’t know, or I’m not sure” when it comes to profound questions. Never stop learning and understanding.
Old 21 October 2021, 10:47 PM   #45
Brew
"TRF" Member

Some of the most fantastic advances in science have occurred when scientists disagree. But for some, this is provided a fodder to argue that science “wrong” or “doesn’t have THE answer.” Which of course leaves the door open for a whole bunch of other stuff . . . .

Old 21 October 2021, 11:34 PM   #46
2024 Pledge Member

The universe is obviously 42.

So every scientist that pushed the Big Bang theory was wrong and the new theory is right? Remember , the earth was once flat, there were celestial spheres, phlogiston, spontaneous generation… what are the odds they are right about this one if they were ‘right’ about the last one?

No, I’m not opening the door for other stuff, it’s ok to say things are theories and we don’t actually know. Settled science is a wonderful thing.
Old 22 October 2021, 12:24 AM   #47
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Maybe.....they're already here.
Oh dear. You could be right.

I have a feeling they landed in the US.
Old 22 October 2021, 02:08 AM   #48
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

This is interesting....

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/f...houldn-t-exist
Old 22 October 2021, 07:08 AM   #49
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Brett requires 100% certitude from science and math, but has no such requirement for anything he might offer in the alternative. Winner indeed.

No sir. This is not true. I merely pointed out that regardless of how long man exists they will never be able to prove THIS theory, the age and size of what man today considers the universe wrong or right. It’s impossible. To say or think otherwise is disingenuous at best and delusional at worst.

Why is it that some always resort to ridicule during a discussion/ debate? It always seems to come from the same side too. I am going with what I suggested before. It’s pride. It’s always pride.

Instagram - patton250
Old 22 October 2021, 07:11 AM   #50
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No sir. This is not true. I merely pointed out that regardless of how long man exists they will never be able to prove THIS theory, the age and size of what man today considers the universe wrong or right. It’s impossible. To say or think otherwise is disingenuous at best and delusional at worst.

Why is it that some always resort to ridicule during a discussion/ debate? It always seems to come from the same side too. I am going with what I suggested before. It’s pride. It’s always pride.

It’s not how science works, Brett, and you know it. Ask your wife. But this is how you work. You set up straw horses and knock them down yourself. That’s how “you win.” Science never proves “this theory” is the correct theory. It only proves ‘em wrong.

Next red herring.

Old 22 October 2021, 07:16 AM   #51
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Some of the most fantastic advances in science have occurred when scientists disagree. But for some, this is provided a fodder to argue that science “wrong” or “doesn’t have THE answer.” Which of course leaves the door open for a whole bunch of other stuff . . . .

Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence.

Repeated and observable evidence. I’m afraid sir the only way you’re going to get that when it comes to the age and size of the KNOWN universe would be to invent a working time machine and a spacecraft that could travel from one side of the KNOWN universe to the other. Otherwise all this is nothing more than a theory. Interesting and fun to discuss but a theory nonetheless. I realize this is upsetting to some but that doesn’t change the facts. Please understand I have no problem with scientist theorizing the age of the universe. I find it very interesting as well as something they should be doing. What I have a problem with is them teaching in school and reporting on the news that the current theory of the age of the universe is not a theory but a fact. That sir, is a lie.

Instagram - patton250
Old 22 October 2021, 07:24 AM   #52
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I have a problem with is them teaching in school and reporting on the news that the current theory of the age of the universe is not a theory but a fact. That sir, is a lie.
Ok, there’s this evening’s herring dinner. When did we start talking about what’s taught in school? When I was taught in school, this stuff was taught as theory. Still is, I thought. But you may live where it’s taught differently? That’s sad, if so, and I agree with you that it should not happen.

Old 22 October 2021, 07:34 AM   #53
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ok, there’s this evening’s herring dinner. When did we start talking about what’s taught in school? When I was taught in school, this stuff was taught as theory. Still is, I thought. But you may live where it’s taught differently? That’s sad, if so, and I agree with you that it should not happen.

Why is it that the people that take your side on this argument always throw the “its a red herring” argument? It’s getting old and lame. Yes I realize it’s the first time you’ve used it with me but I’ve heard it many times. Make your argument or not but don’t be condescending. It’s boring, not helpful and more importantly we don’t get anywhere.

They teach the age of the universe as a fact. Not as a theory. I currently have two school-aged children in high school and college and they have verified this. But that’s not what we were discussing. I made a statement about it being impossible to ever know and I believe you called my post “drivel”. Since then I’ve simply asked you how they could ever prove it and I’ve given you my reasons why I believe they never can. You have not countered that. You’ve merely mocked me on science and being a bit condescending. Not terribly condescending by mind you, but a bit.

Blansky, I want you to know I found the article you posted very interesting. Of course I believe it backs up everything I’ve been saying but it’s definitely an interesting discussion. Thank you for posting it.

Instagram - patton250
Old 22 October 2021, 07:41 AM   #54
Brew
"TRF" Member

Try to pitch BS about school, get called on it, base your (unsupported) position on your kids, beg off (because it’s not now what you’re talking about), cry victim. Boohoo.

Old 22 October 2021, 07:42 AM   #55
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All theories regarding the size of the 'universe' are complete and utter guesswork.

As an aside, if we could know the, 'size' of this area of infinity we call 'our universe', what do the white coats call that which is beyond that measurement?

(if you say Kansas or Utah, or..... I'll cross you off my Christmas card list )
Old 22 October 2021, 07:49 AM   #56
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Try to pitch BS about school, get called on it, base your (unsupported) position on your kids, beg off (because it’s not now what you’re talking about), cry victim. Boohoo.

I still don’t understand your point? Where is your argument? I was not claiming to be a victim I was merely pointing out you were being condescending and not making an argument. You still haven’t. Perhaps I should disengage?

Ask any 20 year old how old the universe is and the handful you find that actually paid attention in school will all look at you and say it’s 14.5 billion years old as if it’s a fact. Truthfully any other answer or opinion than that would be patently absurd to them just like it is to you. You personally must firmly believe in this theory as fact otherwise you wouldn’t have called my original post drivel.

Instagram - patton250
Old 22 October 2021, 07:57 AM   #57
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I still don’t understand your point? Where is your argument? I was not claiming to be a victim I was merely pointing out you were being condescending and not making an argument. You still haven’t. Perhaps I should disengage?

Ask any 20 year old how old the universe is and the handful you find that actually paid attention in school will all look at you and say it’s 14.5 billion years old as if it’s a fact. Truthfully any other answer or opinion than that would be patently absurd to them just like it is to you. You personally must firmly believe in this theory as fact otherwise you wouldn’t have called my original post drivel.

It’s still drivel, Brett. That bit about scientists is drivel. No real scientist will state that they’ve proved a theory true. The scientific method only proves theories wrong. That’s one herring. Then you smack that fake scientist in the face with some notion of pride.

What drivel, Brett.

Old 22 October 2021, 08:09 AM   #58
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s still drivel, Brett. That bit about scientists is drivel. No real scientist will state that they’ve proved a theory true. The scientific method only proves theories wrong. That’s one herring. Then you smack that fake scientist in the face with some notion of pride.

What drivel, Brett.

So what are you saying? You agree that there’s no way for them to ever prove how old or large the universe is? Because it seems to me that you are now admitting that they don’t know and that their best guess is that it’s 14.5 billion years old. And that is a massive wild guess based on parameters that are also nothing more than guesses. This argument is very simple. Using the word drivel means you’re just frustrated that it’s very simple. The truth is they haven’t a clue. Read the article this thread is based on. Embrace it. They don’t have a clue. Five years from now they will come out and completely contradict what they claim today is fact. Anyway I’m sorry you’re having a hard time dealing with this. Perhaps you should disengage?

Instagram - patton250
Old 22 October 2021, 08:19 AM   #59
Brew
"TRF" Member

Nerd Report.....No, the Big Bang was not the beginning.....

Quote:
So what are you saying? You agree that there’s no way for them to ever prove how old or large the universe is? Because it seems to me that you are now admitting that they don’t know and that their best guess is that it’s 14.5 billion years old. And that is a massive wild guess based on parameters that are also nothing more than guesses. This argument is very simple. Using the word drivel means you’re just frustrated that it’s very simple. The truth is they haven’t a clue. Read the article this thread is based on. Embrace it. They don’t have a clue. Five years from now they will come out and completely contradict what they claim today is fact. Anyway I’m sorry you’re having a hard time dealing with this. Perhaps you should disengage?

Go ask the Mrs. how science works, Brett. Don’t bother with the kids; their schools are apparently dodgy. This is not about “guesses,” but somehow you’ve turned to that.

Thanks for your def. of “drivel.” It is not consistent with mine. That may be part of the problem. I am not frustrated. I am entertained by your MO. It is familiar.

Old 22 October 2021, 08:35 AM   #60
2024 Pledge Member

I’m not sure you can convince scientists that know everything that they don’t. When new discoveries and theories come along that replace theirs, they weren’t wrong because they are scientists after all and by definition the can’t be wrong. You must respect their authoriti!
Closed Thread