The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2017, 01:41 PM   #91
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin camping View Post
Sadly the season is winding down, sigh.

So what are your two favorite tracks to see the teams race on?
Monaco! Great track that punishes any mistake but usually has terrible races since no one can pass.

Other favorite is Spa-Francorchamps. Usually great racing on that track.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 05:55 PM   #92
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Monaco Baby! Just booked the flights
Enjoy had a ball this year, if you have not booked seats, Stand L is a good choice, you get chicane, pits, harbour, big screen and a chance to splash in the pool......think it is the most expensive though.

As for favourite tracks...... Spa then daylight, after that maybe Monza, Suzuka or even Silverstone, something old not new. Monaco just too hard to park but a bucket list to go to..... keen to go to Spa 24 hours next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3340.jpg (231.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3341.jpg (151.8 KB, 138 views)
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 08:24 PM   #93
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Kind of cheapened F1 - mixture of NASCAR, football (cheerleaders) and boxing.

Quote:
What the F in hell was that at the beginning, the drivers entrance.

Drivers start your engines, let's get ready to rumble.
NAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 07:41 AM   #94
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Enjoy had a ball this year, if you have not booked seats, Stand L is a good choice, you get chicane, pits, harbour, big screen and a chance to splash in the pool......think it is the most expensive though.

As for favourite tracks...... Spa then daylight, after that maybe Monza, Suzuka or even Silverstone, something old not new. Monaco just too hard to park but a bucket list to go to..... keen to go to Spa 24 hours next.
Just checked the seats, cheapest seats are £400

When I checked before sure there was some cheaper, I know it's Monaco and I'm ok to pay that, just that some of the other lads just come for the Jolly, they are gonna go ape. Flights are booked.

Dread to think how much Stand L is.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 07:58 AM   #95
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY View Post
Kind of cheapened F1 - mixture of NASCAR, football (cheerleaders) and boxing.
I've been to CoTA the past 3 years for the USGP and they've had the cheerleaders every time. Pretty standard for USGP at CoTA.
Old 26 October 2017, 08:02 AM   #96
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I've been to CoTA the past 3 years for the USGP and they've had the cheerleaders every time. Pretty standard for USGP at CoTA.
Yep I was ok with the cheerleaders, just the other stuff was cringeworthy.
Old 26 October 2017, 08:26 AM   #97
texasmade
"TRF" Member

I thought bringing out the WDC trophy for everyone to see was nice. This is where F1 really falls short. Go show most casual sports fans various trophies and they'll be able to tell you what sport it's for. You can't do that in F1 since the trophy is presented at some banquet at the end of the season that's for team and media only basically.
Old 26 October 2017, 08:37 AM   #98
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep I was ok with the cheerleaders, just the other stuff was cringeworthy.
It was, I imagine it was the NASCAR folks over at NBC that thought that one up.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:45 PM   #99
zama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just checked the seats, cheapest seats are £400

When I checked before sure there was some cheaper, I know it's Monaco and I'm ok to pay that, just that some of the other lads just come for the Jolly, they are gonna go ape. Flights are booked.

Dread to think how much Stand L is.
Look on the bright side you are probably used to the second most expensive GP in the world with the British GP (massively over priced but well loved). You may well do Monaco just once so enjoy!!!!! If I am completely honest, I never rate race day, I actually went down for the Thursday free practice, 2 x 1.5hours + 2 Porsche cup races and GP2 and I think it was like 90 euros, being there for race day is crazy, I was actually at Palace of Versailles with the wife when the race was on. The experience is the same on practice day as it was still packed, noise the same cafes the same etc etc just 1/10 the price. Stayed the one night (wed night) in Nice near the train station to make easy trip to Monaco and paid about 50euros for the hotel, so a pretty cheap trip always round. But I get most love race day, I do the same each year in Australia I fly down for Saturday qualifying and home same night. Watch the race on the couch.
Old 27 October 2017, 04:52 AM   #100
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Proximity to a good view screen is important. It’s not like watching from the sofa, but you still get to see the replays of critical events. Only so much is going to happen in your little viewing area. I'm thinking about Canada next year, maybe Austin.
Good race overall last weekend.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 06:13 AM   #101
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
I thought bringing out the WDC trophy for everyone to see was nice. This is where F1 really falls short. Go show most casual sports fans various trophies and they'll be able to tell you what sport it's for. You can't do that in F1 since the trophy is presented at some banquet at the end of the season that's for team and media only basically.
Excellent post
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 05:16 PM   #102
zama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did not see all the pre race stuff at COTA, but I completely agree the US has always had a better perspective of giving value to people, the seats I think are much cheaper than many GP's again seeing value in packed grandstands over empty covered seats...... I am sure the new owners will bring that to F1 I hope, as well as cheaper cost more noise and more entertainment. I remember years ago when I travelled more for work I managed to catch an American LeMans race at Laguna Seca, they used to allow the fans on the grid before the race i talked to many of the drivers and have photos with the cars, imagine that in F1...
Old 28 October 2017, 01:45 AM   #103
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know who will be the announcers for F1 on ESPN next year. Will it be Hobbs and Matchett?
Old 18 November 2017, 10:30 AM   #104
The Joker
"TRF" Member

My fav year was 2007, Hamilton's rookie year, he schooled Alonso when they got to Canada and Indy.

Amazing defensive driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8190t4mrbc
Old 18 November 2017, 08:58 PM   #105
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My fav year was 2007, Hamilton's rookie year, he schooled Alonso when they got to Canada and Indy.

Amazing defensive driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8190t4mrbc
Thanks Wes, I really enjoyed that!!

I think 2008 was probably my favourite year. Lewis was still new on the scene but he obviously managed to clinch the title that year.

That’s also the year he won at Silverstone in the wet and I was there to see it first hand on my stag do! An epic weekend.
Old 18 November 2017, 09:11 PM   #106
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Look on the bright side you are probably used to the second most expensive GP in the world with the British GP (massively over priced but well loved). You may well do Monaco just once so enjoy!!!!! If I am completely honest, I never rate race day, I actually went down for the Thursday free practice, 2 x 1.5hours + 2 Porsche cup races and GP2 and I think it was like 90 euros, being there for race day is crazy, I was actually at Palace of Versailles with the wife when the race was on. The experience is the same on practice day as it was still packed, noise the same cafes the same etc etc just 1/10 the price. Stayed the one night (wed night) in Nice near the train station to make easy trip to Monaco and paid about 50euros for the hotel, so a pretty cheap trip always round. But I get most love race day, I do the same each year in Australia I fly down for Saturday qualifying and home same night. Watch the race on the couch.
I wish F1 would come back to Long Beach. It is a one hour drive from me and I have a friend who lives in Belmont Shore which is a 10 minute drive to downtown Long Beach. I go up every year and stay at his place and we go to the Grand Prix. All it cost me is the ticket price, food and booze. Last year we actually went Saturday and Sunday. Not a lot of passing opportunities there but the Indy cars actually sound pretty good in person.

I’d love to go to an F1 race. It is my passion and I never miss a race. I’m going to have to make that happen.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 02:47 PM   #107
texasmade
"TRF" Member

ESPN is really struggling right now with their Sky Sports feed. They can't get it to work properly for the prerace and decided to run some BS top 20 most dominant teams instead.
Old 25 March 2018, 03:08 PM   #108
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ESPN is really struggling right now with their Sky Sports feed. They can't get it to work properly for the prerace and decided to run some BS top 20 most dominant teams instead.
Yes but hours later they finally showed practice..

I HATE THE NEW ANNOUNCERS!!! Boring boring boring. The Mrs. liked to watch F1 with me as Hobbs made her laugh and Matchett explained things so she got it.

This may well be a hard season to get through.

Still pulling for Hamilton though.
Old 25 March 2018, 03:19 PM   #109
SearChart
TechXpert

Watching right now, not a fan of the head guard though..
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 03:34 PM   #110
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I HATE THE NEW ANNOUNCERS!!! Boring boring boring. The Mrs. liked to watch F1 with me as Hobbs made her laugh and Matchett explained things so she got it.

I agree the NBC announcers were more entertaining. Button is still around and did the post qualifying interviews.
Old 25 March 2018, 03:48 PM   #111
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

You should listen to the German announcers, they are obvious fanboys for everything German. The Verstappen hate was unbearable last season.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 04:04 PM   #112
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
...lap 31

Not a good race for team Haas
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 04:15 PM   #113
texasmade
"TRF" Member

VSC handed the race to Vettel.
Old 25 March 2018, 04:51 PM   #114
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

So glad to see the F1 season (and this thread) revived.

To the US guys watching the Sky Sports coverage over ESPN isn’t it David Croft and Martin Brundle commentating?

IMO Martin Brundle is a legend and gives great insight but he leaves it to Crofty to do the animated bit.

Here in the UK, this is the last year of the F1 being on free to air TV so we’ve got no choice but sign up for an expensive Sky contract from next year

Sent from my iPhone
Old 25 March 2018, 06:39 PM   #115
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
You should listen to the German announcers, they are obvious fanboys for everything German. The Verstappen hate was unbearable last season.

Sorry, but I disagree.
Of course they are biased, but it has not been as one-sided like you say

And Verstappen‘s driving style has always been controversial at best, it‘s not only a german thing.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:49 PM   #116
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Rupert Murdoch's FOX announced late last year that 2017 was the last year of 'free to air' in Australia, however the full race and 5 hours of 'Pre-Race' was broadcast today on a free-to-air channel.
It will be interesting to see what happens with subsequent races not in Australia.
I am not a Rupert Murdoch fan so I would rather give up my obsession with F1 than pay Rupert a small fortune to buy a big FOX Pay-TV 'Sports Package' when all I want is 20 F1 races a year.
Excellent race today. Any race that Mercedes don't win is a good race.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:18 PM   #117
zama
"TRF" Member

New year, not much has changed other than Haas/Renault being more competitive at front of mid pack and Force India slipping back.... Turns out McLaren's chassis is not as special as they wanted us to believe last few years....... who would have thought any different..... like Williams their days at the front are probably past memories....
Old 26 March 2018, 02:40 AM   #118
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
espn really mailed it in.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 03:43 AM   #119
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
espn really mailed it in.
No kidding. The person running the feed had no clue what they were doing from not getting the pre race show running properly, commercials during a race restart, and commercials during in race interviews. ESPN treated the whole thing like a joke.
Old 26 March 2018, 04:41 AM   #120
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Was terrible on espn, most boring commentating ever.

And my 4 year old asked "what are those circle thingys on the cars?" 🤣 Even at that young age they think the halo's look like garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote