The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2019, 07:25 PM   #1
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Inherited my dad's watch

Hey all, I am new to the Rolex forums and the world of Rolex. My dad past away not too long ago, and I inherited his watch. He bought the watch after I was born in 1980 I am told, and he wanted to give it to me after he past. It's now mine. It needs to be cleaned, and it needs a battery. I bought it to Rolex NYC for a new battery and cleaning, but they said it has a lot of oxidation and needs a complete overhaul at around 2k plus tax. Apparently, I cannot post a pic as I am a new member. It's a 1980 yellow gold rolex president with a diamond bezel and diamond dial where the arabic numbers are. I hope that describes it better. Once I am able to post a pic, I will.

I wanted to trade it in for a white gold or stainless steel daytona, but my siblings (which seem a bit jealous) and my mother are adamantly against me trading it for something else. Saying that your father will turn over in his grave and if you change it, I will take it back. She can't, as it was willed to me, but I do not want to cause any ripples in the family.

I was thinking of exchanging the diamond bezel for a regular one and changing the dial to a black one with gold prongs, but open to suggestions from the community. I am not a flashy person, so I really do not know when I'd wear it. He loved this watch. Not to get too personal, but when he was in the ER due to a heart attack, he felt the nurse take off his watch. We all gasped as he gathered enough strength to attempt to fight off the nurse. My mother was able to calm him down and she took it off of him. He passed on 12 hours later. So, yea, it's still hard for me to trade it in for something else. It's just too flashy for me to wear daily. Not sure how I'd be able to pull off wearing a 20k watch.

Anyways, open to suggestions. Thank you all in advance for some guidance.
RolieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Brew
"TRF" Member

I am sorry for your loss. Have you considered putting the watch in a safe, and wait until you feel more comfortable enjoying it? I wouldn't change it, personally.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:51 PM   #3
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
Deepest condolences for your loss! The watch may not reflect or represent your personality. But consider it a possible conversation started where you will be able to share the love you have for your father, even in his passing, with others who notice the flashy time piece he left to you.

Regardless, I would not change it or trade. One day, you will regret that decision!

Best of luck with your new inheritance!
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:58 PM   #4
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Here's what it looks like. Pretty similar, not 100%. I am still new to the Rolex game.

Old 12 January 2019, 07:59 PM   #5
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I am sorry for your loss. Have you considered putting the watch in a safe, and wait until you feel more comfortable enjoying it? I wouldn't change it, personally.
Thank you for the kind words. It's currently at Rolex's safe in NYC. I don't have a safe, but I guess I will have to get one. Maybe store it in a safe deposit box at the bank?
Old 12 January 2019, 07:59 PM   #6
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Time View Post
Deepest condolences for your loss! The watch may not reflect or represent your personality. But consider it a possible conversation started where you will be able to share the love you have for your father, even in his passing, with others who notice the flashy time piece he left to you.

Regardless, I would not change it or trade. One day, you will regret that decision!

Best of luck with your new inheritance!

Thank you also for the kind words. I know that is what I am leaning towards too.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:01 PM   #7
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Am sorry for your loss.

It’s beautiful as is. Wont change a thing. Would wear it proudly because of story.

Just didnt quite understand the battery change.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:01 PM   #8
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

I was hoping it wouldn't cost so much to get it serviced. I called a few authorized Rolex dealers in NYC and they told me they send it to Rolex, so I assume they'd charge more. 2k for an overall and a battery is a bit much for me right now. They said it is very oxidized and needs a new battery. The battery they'd replace for free apparently, just not the labor.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:02 PM   #9
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Am sorry for your loss.

It’s beautiful as is. Wont change a thing. Would wear it proudly because of story.

Just didnt quite understand the battery change.

Thank you for the kind words. The battery is dead, so it needs to be changed. I thought that was strange as my mom's is self powering. I would had thought my dad would had opted for that as well.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:04 PM   #10
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

I guess I would also be concerned about wearing such a piece of jewelry on my wrist. It causes a lot of people to stare.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:12 PM   #11
IngarH
"TRF" Member

If your Rolex is similar to that in the picture, I don’t think it is a quartz, and therefore there is no battery. This is an automatic which is powered by the movements of your hand. And if so, the Rolex dealer might try to trick you.
IngarH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:15 PM   #12
peterpl
Banned

I would not trade that ever. Wear it proudly as your father did.

A Day date is the best watch a man could ever want and obviously your father appreciated it.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:18 PM   #13
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Deepest condolences! Would keep it and have it fixed, especially since its a watch that was your fathers daily - you can probably find it on every picture of him. Dont let it sit and further decay if its a qvartz (but it does not look like a quartz ) .

Try wearing it a week or two. Most often its the wearer who thinks that everybody stares at it, but in reality 99% of people don't care. If you don't want it, then you are free to pass it on to someone in your family who have a stronger connection to it or potentially to your children later on.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:32 PM   #14
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
>
Old 12 January 2019, 08:37 PM   #15
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngarH View Post
If your Rolex is similar to that in the picture, I don’t think it is a quartz, and therefore there is no battery. This is an automatic which is powered by the movements of your hand. And if so, the Rolex dealer might try to trick you.

Only going by what the lady said from Rolex NYC. I am just trying to find a similar picture, so it looks like that one. Mom told me it was bought in 1980 from Tourneau.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:38 PM   #16
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I would not trade that ever. Wear it proudly as your father did.

A Day date is the best watch a man could ever want and obviously your father appreciated it.

Certainly going to try.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:39 PM   #17
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Deepest condolences! Would keep it and have it fixed, especially since its a watch that was your fathers daily - you can probably find it on every picture of him. Dont let it sit and further decay if its a qvartz (but it does not look like a quartz ) .

Try wearing it a week or two. Most often its the wearer who thinks that everybody stares at it, but in reality 99% of people don't care. If you don't want it, then you are free to pass it on to someone in your family who have a stronger connection to it or potentially to your children later on.
Thank you for the condolences. I will certainly try when it comes back.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:39 PM   #18
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
>
What's with the couple laughing and smiling?
Old 12 January 2019, 08:43 PM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Did the RSC tell you it needs a new battery?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:47 PM   #20
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Did the RSC tell you it needs a new battery?
Yes, Dad always dropped it off at RSC 5th ave, so that is where I sent it to for a service estimate.
Old 12 January 2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Room 101
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
RollieKid - do yourself a favour and do not alter the watch. If you do not like it. Give it to another family member that will appreciate it. To change anything on that watch is just disrespectful in my opinion. You are talking about an item that your mother says your father treasured. When you were born (assuming you are the eldest) he decided this watch should go to his first born when he departs the mortal coil.

That watch has history... providence. You don't throw those away. That's an heirloom and if you do alter it, trust me one day you will regret it. That's a link to your past of what I hope were happier days. I would never do that to my father's watch. If I receive his watch in probate. It will be kept forever, worn on special occasions and I will remember him fondly every-time I place that watch on my wrist. Do not destroy that link. I think it is the utmost sign of disrespect and I am not surprised that your family are offended by your actions/wants. I don't think they're jealous. That is why some guy on here posted a picture of popcorn... because this has clearly gone over your head and you do not understand.

If you don't want it and have no intention of wearing it. Do the right thing and give it to someone who will appreciate and treasure that watch.
Room 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 09:07 PM   #22
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Room 101 View Post
RollieKid - do yourself a favour and do not alter the watch. If you do not like it. Give it to another family member that will appreciate it. To change anything on that watch is just disrespectful in my opinion. You are talking about an item that your mother says your father treasured. When you were born (assuming you are the eldest) he decided this watch should go to his first born when he departs the mortal coil.

That watch has history... providence. You don't throw those away. That's an heirloom and if you do alter it, trust me one day you will regret it. That's a link to your past of what I hope were happier days. I would never do that to my father's watch. If I receive his watch in probate. It will be kept forever, worn on special occasions and I will remember him fondly every-time I place that watch on my wrist. Do not destroy that link. I think it is the utmost sign of disrespect and I am not surprised that your family are offended by your actions/wants. I don't think they're jealous. That is why some guy on here posted a picture of popcorn... because this has clearly gone over your head and you do not understand.

If you don't want it and have no intention of wearing it. Do the right thing and give it to someone who will appreciate and treasure that watch.
You bring up a good point and it makes sense. I will not alter. Thank you for shedding some light on this. No, I am not the oldest, I am the youngest. The others have Rolexes that were given to them as gifts. I was never privy to one; never understood why.
Old 12 January 2019, 09:09 PM   #23
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room 101 View Post

Very good and wise advice Stephan
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 09:26 PM   #24
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
My father has a YG DD from around that time, he said he would leave it to me in his will

He knows I am into watches, so he asked me if I would sell it, when I told him I would consider trading it in, he was not happy

He kept it to pass it on, so you cannot sell it, put it on a strap if you want to dress it down but you cannot sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 09:31 PM   #25
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolieKid View Post
What's with the couple laughing and smiling?
The picture you posted is of a watch that does not use batteries and that raises doubts
Old 12 January 2019, 09:31 PM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolieKid View Post
Yes, Dad always dropped it off at RSC 5th ave, so that is where I sent it to for a service estimate.
A Rolex RSC actually told you to put a new battery in a automatic winding watch,or does the watch in question have Oysterquartz on the dial..???????

Please post a picture of the actual watch in question.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 09:32 PM   #27
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Does it look more like this (note the case shape)

uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 09:33 PM   #28
Room 101
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
Very good and wise advice Stephan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolieKid
You bring up a good point and it makes sense. I will not alter. Thank you for shedding some light on this. No, I am not the oldest, I am the youngest. The others have Rolexes that were given to them as gifts. I was never privy to one; never understood why.
Good I'm pleased to hear it. I just don't think you understood the meaning behind the watch. You weren't wrong but I just think you missed the point of that watch. Regarding your other siblings being gifted Rolex's well it would turn out that his plan all along was you to receive his. That is interesting.

If I were you and finances aren't a problem. I would get it serviced and place it in a safe and wear it a few times a year if it isn't your taste. But maybe it will grow on you? You refer to yourself as kid so perhaps in another 10 years time it will become a watch your wear more regularly. Tastes change, food, cars, women, watches... they all change.

I just turned 30 last month, so I'm hardly a wise old sear but I can tell you that there is a notable change in my behaviours, attitude from 30... to 25... to 20 even. I look back on some of those ages with embarrassment. "How could I ever do/done that?" but the reality is, I was younger. They weren't stupid at the time but now I see them in a different light. Perhaps you will see that watch in a different light in the future.

Regardless, keep it, wear it for Birthdays/Family get together/Special Events and slowly overtime see if your attitudes and tastes change. I was going to use the word evolve, but I feel that is unfair. We make the best decisions we can at the time. Wear it with pride anyway. Sorry for your loss.
Room 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 09:34 PM   #29
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
If your watch looks like the one in the picture, it has an automatic movement ( no battery). Unscrew the crown then rotate/wind the crown 40 turns in a clockwise direction. This should get you started. The movement of your wrist and arm keep the watch running. Eventually you can check it's accuracy and see if it really needs a service. If winding does not get the watch running or it is eratic, you may need a full service. 2K sounds high.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 10:09 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Please post pics of the actual watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote