The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2019, 10:05 AM   #1
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Independent hour hand appreciation thread

I love the function of an independently moving hour hand! Being able to jump the hour hand forward or backward without disturbing the minute hand – it’s just so damn practical. I travel in and out of my home time zone quite often and as I get off the plane it's bink! quickly jump the hour hand and the local time is set. No messing around, no need to remember, was it 37 minutes past the hour? 38? 39? The minute hand doesn't move, meanwhile the GMT hand (as always) is set to home time for easy reference.

I sometimes have aspirations of picking up a 1675 for a daily, feeling like it would somehow represent an upgrade from the 16710, but it's the lack of jump hour function of the GMT-I that holds me back.

Quick-set date has its place, but long may the 16710 rule!

(P.s. it would be dope if this was a standard feature on every Rolex.)
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 05:09 PM   #2
grymg
"TRF" Member

I hear you, it certainly helps for daylight savings switches as well.
Having that feature also makes it a must to take my GMT on trips where I cross time zones.

One thing I do hate is that the quickset date is not present on the caliber. So if my watch dies for several days, I feel like I am turning the crown forever just the get the correct date again.
Old 13 January 2019, 05:13 PM   #3
JacksonStone
Banned

Funny you should mention this, as I am gearing up for a cruise in a few months that will have me crossing several time zones, and I was just thinking it would be nice to have a watch with a jumping hour hand. Pity I don't still have my Seamaster 300; it had a jumping hour hand, and no date. Easiest setting watch I ever had.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The hour jump hand on the new models is ok for some I suppose but doesn’t help me and a billion others who have a half hour time difference.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
The hour jump hand on the new models is ok for some I suppose but doesn’t help me and a billion others who have a half hour time difference.
That only reflects a change from your local timezone. But if you're traveling and have layovers or on a cruise then a jump hour hand still helps those billion immensely, most of those which don't even own a Rolex or care about this to begin with, by the way.
I'm pretty ocd about setting my watch to the second so I hack it exactly at 12 o'clock so because of this I usually don't bother with changing the time when traveling and wait until I'm home.

I really believe Rolex should give this feature to the Explorer. It is a prime candidate for this function as it is a travel adventure watch. Adventures mean moving a lot. The GMT 2 and Exp 2 understandably have the feature so with the Explorer being part of this family it would benefit greatly being a time only watch.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 07:34 PM   #6
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

As a frequent traveller this feature is priceless. It's great knowing the accuracy is not being compromised when I adjust to local time due to seconds not being hacked. Is it a needed complication, no, but it's a very unique and convenient one I appreciate.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 07:57 PM   #7
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

To me this feature could be very easy to implement on every no-date movement. I agree that the Explorer would be a prime candidate for a jumping hour setting.
On movements with date I understand that most people would prefer to quick-set the date.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 09:19 PM   #8
maxbelg
"TRF" Member

I agree, it's a great feature and I don't mind at all that the date is not "quick-set" as a result. I'm very happy with my 126710BLRO but I'm not so sure I'd want it on my EX. When I travel I take the GMT and at "home" I don't need this feature.
maxbelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 05:59 AM   #9
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymg View Post
I hear you, it certainly helps for daylight savings switches as well.
Excellent point. Another two uses each year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Funny you should mention this, as I am gearing up for a cruise in a few months that will have me crossing several time zones, and I was just thinking it would be nice to have a watch with a jumping hour hand. Pity I don't still have my Seamaster 300; it had a jumping hour hand, and no date. Easiest setting watch I ever had.
Hmm! I didn't know the Seamaster 300 had a jump hour function. Yeah this function would come in handy during a cruise, for sure! I'm sure you'll enjoy the holiday, regardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Touché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I really believe Rolex should give this feature to the Explorer. It is a prime candidate for this function as it is a travel adventure watch. Adventures mean moving a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
To me this feature could be very easy to implement on every no-date movement. I agree that the Explorer would be a prime candidate for a jumping hour setting.
On movements with date I understand that most people would prefer to quick-set the date.
To my point about every watch in the Rolex line having this function. Even on movements with a date - like the 16710 - the jump hour function is better IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post
As a frequent traveller this feature is priceless. It's great knowing the accuracy is not being compromised when I adjust to local time due to seconds not being hacked. Is it a needed complication, no, but it's a very unique and convenient one I appreciate.
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbelg View Post
I agree, it's a great feature and I don't mind at all that the date is not "quick-set" as a result.
Agreed. A quick twist of the crown and 24 hour jumps later, presto!
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:10 AM   #10
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
I fly frequently and find it to be one of my favorite functions.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 03:36 PM   #11
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
We crossed from Southampton to New York last May and had five “25 hour days” out of the seven. The quick jump hour hand on my BLNR made these daily time changes a breeze, and a lot of fun. The GMT is amazing all around, but it’s a damned fine travel watch at heart.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote