The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 October 2021, 08:26 PM   #211
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Ok, well, for ORDINARY people, meaning most of us who don't have lucky connections to the owner or management of an AD, your options are really limited.

Option A: Pay $27,000 and get the hottest new release, which is brand new and unworn, sent to you by overnight shipping with no tax, and enjoy the experience of no BS, no games, no politics, no wait-list, no false promises, and instant satisfaction.

Option B: Pay at minimum $50,000 (and for some, $100k or more) in garbage jewelry or maybe other inferior and less-desirable watches in order to establish yourself as a "preferred client" ("VIP"), with the HOPE of being offered the chance to buy at retail at $10,000 (when factoring tax), but you might still have to wait, and there's almost certainly at least a few (or dozens) of other people vying for the same piece. Keep in mind-- No guarantees with this approach!

Personally, I think Option A is far more appealing.

Lately I have really grown to appreciate the grey market and find that the trusted sellers are a fantastic service. My most satisfying watch purchases have come from trusted seller transactions. Now that the new warranty no longer indicates the name of the purchaser, I have even less reservations about buying grey.

As for the asking price: It's an open market. The price is always fair. That's how markets work. If the price is ludicrous, nobody will buy it. Then the price comes down. I see no issues with that. The listings are valid, justified, and acceptable, just not something that I would personally buy at $27,000 but that is my choice as a potential buyer, obviously.

If your time is worth some more money than more most people, this is an economical decision to be honest. The dream of buying at retail is now gone for most people, too much of their production goes to greys which means, chances are slimmer. I went ahead and got what I wanted at a grey and done deal, even at my AD they get surprised I wear a hot model, that takes normal people 100k spend or more to get one in 2-3 years.

It is the current market. That’s all. Wanna lose time while the watch continues to appreciate? I’d say go spend the money, be done with it, and start to enjoy the watch, hopefully for a long time if not forever. It’s sucks but it’s the way it is these days. It’s partly a capitalism formula involving exclusivity. These are luxury goods, it’s been so for a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 October 2021, 09:51 PM   #212
fania123
"TRF" Member

So glad I’m not in the market for anything right now, watch, car , house, etc what’s going on right now is ridiculous.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 09:55 PM   #213
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
So glad I’m not in the market for anything right now, watch, car , house, etc what’s going on right now is ridiculous.
I second that, it’s a crazy world.
Those with capital are flipping everything under the sun & it has left many middle & low income families struggling further.
This won’t end well.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 10:00 PM   #214
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Boy you said it. I was offered a great price for my 9 year old sports car. It only has 33,000 miles so I bought new tires instead. I’m in a great place with everything!
Old 10 October 2021, 11:00 PM   #215
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Here is the real question, is anyone who has an item or property for sale and tries to get as much as they can for it being too greedy?

Just because someone might really really sooper dooper want my house or my car or my watch or whatever I have for sale does not mean I shouldn’t try to get as much as I can for it. With a little help from the free market the person with an item for sale rightfully determines the selling price, not the person who wants it.

Your not understanding what I am saying.

I could care less what Grey market sellers prices are, I deal/sell collectible/hard to get items, I also manufacture a luxury/high end product that is in high demand, 7-9 month wait… just not watches. Sure, my good customers get a little bit of a edge but I don’t make people buy two of something to get what they really want. When it comes to vintage/older items I charge on the higher end.

I think it’s strange the dealers are requiring people to buy the less popular watches with the Subs/GMTs. I’m not saying I totally disagree, I just think it’s a little greedy/bs.

If you want a new lambo, they don’t make you buy a Lambo SUV too. Same with Porsche.

So the greys can charge whatever, the Rolex certified dealers shouldn’t be pulling tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 11:21 PM   #216
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Actuay, if you want a GT3 or GT2, u gotta buy a Macan / Cayman first. Then they put u on the list. At least over here, maybe not in the USA. Same thing with Hermes Birkin.
Rolex has made a deal with the devil, the not-so-rich customers are paying the price.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 11:42 PM   #217
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I don't think it's greedy for ADs to "bundle-sell" to customers for popular professional models. If I were the owner of the AD and I only receive 10 Daytona's a year while there are hundreds of customers who demand these 10 pieces, it is naturally in my best interest to sell these pieces to 10 potential customers with the greatest return - whether it's to my VIP whale spenders or someone who's willing to bundle up some less popular/hard-to-sell models.

Same goes with grey dealers (or pretty much any for-profit business), it is to their best interest to generate the most profit for any given piece of inventory they procure, especially the hotter items. Sure, some dealers may list unreasonably high prices, but they would not sell unless there're willing buyers. Some people say that the prices are driven up within grey dealers which I believe to be true in some instances, but I don't think it will last - just as the original post of dealers listing a Sub for $27K. The market price will always correct itself to what the market is willing to pay.

Flippers do make a quick buck, but what does it take to be a flipper? It certainly isn't as simple as camping outside the store to be the first in line. If you don't have a good spend history you're not going to get the popular models for flipping to begin with.
Old 11 October 2021, 12:41 AM   #218
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

We should just stop complaining about all these. All here are lucky to be able to afford a Rolex, whther at SRP or market price, whether new used or vintage. These are all first world problems. Owning a Rolex of any kind is a priviledge, not a right. Decide on your budget and buy whatever model fits your budget at wherever source is available to you. No one can force you to buy from the greys, just like no one can force them to sell at a particular price. Market forces always dictate the price. The law of supply and demand always rules. That is the hard and honest truth. You gotta pay to play. You do not have to paly the Rolex game. Price too high? Model you want not available at the price you want? Look at other brands that are just as good or maybe even better. Want a Rolex bad enough? Play the game and pay the price.
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 12:48 AM   #219
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Your not understanding what I am saying.

I could care less what Grey market sellers prices are, I deal/sell collectible/hard to get items, I also manufacture a luxury/high end product that is in high demand, 7-9 month wait… just not watches. Sure, my good customers get a little bit of a edge but I don’t make people buy two of something to get what they really want. When it comes to vintage/older items I charge on the higher end.

I think it’s strange the dealers are requiring people to buy the less popular watches with the Subs/GMTs. I’m not saying I totally disagree, I just think it’s a little greedy/bs.

If you want a new lambo, they don’t make you buy a Lambo SUV too. Same with Porsche.

So the greys can charge whatever, the Rolex certified dealers shouldn’t be pulling tricks.

You’re not understanding what I am saying. Since Rolex ADs can’t raise the price of new watches why wouldn’t they leverage those watches by linking them to the purchase of other items? It’s not strange that some ADs are requiring the purchase of less desirable items with the purchase of the most desirable items, it is flawlessly logical. We may not like it but the free market is free for both buyers and sellers.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 01:03 AM   #220
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
You’re not understanding what I am saying. Since Rolex ADs can’t raise the price of new watches why wouldn’t they leverage those watches by linking them to the purchase of other items? It’s not strange that some ADs are requiring the purchase of less desirable items with the purchase of the most desirable items, it is flawlessly logical. We may not like it but the free market is free for both buyers and sellers.
I am not sure about your trading laws but here in the 51st state of UK that is actually a restrictive retail practice and not actually permitted with the sale of new goods.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 02:36 AM   #221
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post

This is EXACTLY what Porsche is doing. Those I know with a 992 GT3 incoming have a solid Porsche history. Not just Macans but 911 Turbo/ Taycan Turbos.
Even the base 911 Carrera S is hard to get. Porsche dealer told me I needed a deposit and the wait time is unknown. Could be a year. Could be never. And I had a previous 911 Turbo.

Ferrari is worse.
Lambo…good luck with no purchase history trying to score a new Urus…forget about STO or a V12…

Verrry similar to Rolex. In fact, I’ve had much better luck with Rolex AD’s than Porsche.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 02:51 AM   #222
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Ok, well, for ORDINARY people, meaning most of us who don't have lucky connections to the owner or management of an AD, your options are really limited.

Option A: Pay $27,000 and get the hottest new release, which is brand new and unworn, sent to you by overnight shipping with no tax, and enjoy the experience of no BS, no games, no politics, no wait-list, no false promises, and instant satisfaction.

Option B: Pay at minimum $50,000 (and for some, $100k or more) in garbage jewelry or maybe other inferior and less-desirable watches in order to establish yourself as a "preferred client" ("VIP"), with the HOPE of being offered the chance to buy at retail at $10,000 (when factoring tax), but you might still have to wait, and there's almost certainly at least a few (or dozens) of other people vying for the same piece. Keep in mind-- No guarantees with this approach!

Personally, I think Option A is far more appealing.

Lately I have really grown to appreciate the grey market and find that the trusted sellers are a fantastic service. My most satisfying watch purchases have come from trusted seller transactions. Now that the new warranty no longer indicates the name of the purchaser, I have even less reservations about buying grey.

As for the asking price: It's an open market. The price is always fair. That's how markets work. If the price is ludicrous, nobody will buy it. Then the price comes down. I see no issues with that. The listings are valid, justified, and acceptable, just not something that I would personally buy at $27,000 but that is my choice as a potential buyer, obviously.
Option C: Buy at AD at retail (wait) or don't buy it at all !
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 03:11 AM   #223
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchamatic View Post
We should just stop complaining about all these. All here are lucky to be able to afford a Rolex, whther at SRP or market price, whether new used or vintage. These are all first world problems. Owning a Rolex of any kind is a priviledge, not a right. Decide on your budget and buy whatever model fits your budget at wherever source is available to you. No one can force you to buy from the greys, just like no one can force them to sell at a particular price. Market forces always dictate the price. The law of supply and demand always rules. That is the hard and honest truth. You gotta pay to play. You do not have to paly the Rolex game. Price too high? Model you want not available at the price you want? Look at other brands that are just as good or maybe even better. Want a Rolex bad enough? Play the game and pay the price.
As much as I hate what’s happening with the current market this is honestly so true. All on this forum who even have ONE Rolex should consider themselves extremely blessed and put into perspective it’s just a watch at the end of the day. There are far more important things to waste your time and money on.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 03:12 AM   #224
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
I am not sure about your trading laws but here in the 51st state of UK that is actually a restrictive retail practice and not actually permitted with the sale of new goods.
Which is why they wouldn't actually "bundle" but instead require "a relationship" prior to selling. In some ways, that consumer protection law makes it worse for the buyer, because, technically, the dealer cannot guarantee their ability to purchase the desired watch as they might with a legitimate bundle.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 03:41 AM   #225
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Give it a few months and 27K will seem reasonable. Lol.
Given the fact that we’re heading into the fourth quarter where gray dealers make the most profit, it’s probably not that much of a stretch.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 07:15 AM   #226
bob sims
Banned

I'm thinking of putting my 41op Coral on chrono for $25k.
If it sells I will buy a new one for $15k and put the rest towards a tiffany!
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 07:20 AM   #227
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No doubt. It's bad enough buying plywood and natural gas. Houses and cars are Veblen goods now :)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 08:41 AM   #228
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

The same "bubble'' also exists for certain desirable Patek and AP models so it's not just confined to Rolex.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote