The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2021, 03:20 AM   #31
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

I was debating on the same decision. I ultimately decided to get a watch box for the following reasons:
1. They are significantly cheaper than a winder of comparable quality.

2. I enjoy manually winding my watches.

3. The risk of overwinding if I bought an in expensive winder.

4. I'm not looking to display my watches in my house for risk of cleaning staff/maids steal them. I just keep them in a nice looking box without a display window. I'd rather display them on my wrist than in a box.

Hope that helps!
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 02:42 PM   #32
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
What's left of my Rolex/Tudor collection mostly resides in this box, while my winder gathers dust. I have a similar but larger box with mostly vintage Seiko and Grand Seiko, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (269.1 KB, 287 views)
Old 13 March 2021, 02:48 PM   #33
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

box only
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 02:54 PM   #34
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer28 View Post
I was debating on the same decision. I ultimately decided to get a watch box for the following reasons:

3. The risk of overwinding if I bought an in expensive winder.
It's not possible to overwind a watch using a winder. In fact, I don't think there is a properly functioning modern watch that can be overwound at all, certainly not a modern Rolex. The winding mechanism simply disengages once it's fully wound.

I do understand a lot of the replies here. If you are only worried about the time and a quickset date why spring for a winder...but once you introduce additional (sometimes multiple) complications, a winder makes sense.

Admittedly, I also love the look of the Wolf Savoy Triple on my dresser.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 10:22 PM   #35
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
1. They are significantly cheaper than a winder of comparable quality. cheap winders work just fine especially if not displaying

2. I enjoy manually winding my watches.

3. The risk of overwinding if I bought an in expensive winder.can’t happen, won’t happen ever

4. I'm not looking to display my watches in my house for risk of cleaning staff/maids steal them. I just keep them in a nice looking box without a display window. I'd rather display them on my wrist than in a box.this is just sad. You need to hire different people. We had a cleaning lady once a week back in our old house and I would have trusted her with my kids. She became part of the family. You can find them, just look

Hope that helps!
Hope that helps.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 12:15 AM   #36
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Box because I don't believe a watch should be constantly wound when off the wrist. So it's WATCHPOD for me, protective travel and storage.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 02:57 AM   #37
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

So this is interesting.

I was told by my AD that Rolex typically has a set specification of 650 TPD, which was verified by multiple sites. I was also told that there is a risk of wear and tear on the watch if you consistently wind more than that, which was also verified by multiple sites. I'm not saying I'm right, but there is a lot of information out there to back up those claims.

Personally, I don't understand the need for a winder for a watch with maybe just a date complication. Now if a watch has a lot of complications and it takes time to set, I totally understand why someone would want a winder. It takes me under a minute to set whatever watch I am wearing for the day, I'd rather just set it manually than use a winder. Even if the risk of wear and tear on the watch is small, its a Rolex not a seiko and I would rather not risk it at all.
Old 14 March 2021, 03:52 AM   #38
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Neither-what I'm not wearing is in the gun safe.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 04:17 AM   #39
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
So this is interesting.

I was told by my AD that Rolex typically has a set specification of 650 TPD, which was verified by multiple sites. I was also told that there is a risk of wear and tear on the watch if you consistently wind more than that, which was also verified by multiple sites. I'm not saying I'm right, but there is a lot of information out there to back up those claims.

Personally, I don't understand the need for a winder for a watch with maybe just a date complication. Now if a watch has a lot of complications and it takes time to set, I totally understand why someone would want a winder. It takes me under a minute to set whatever watch I am wearing for the day, I'd rather just set it manually than use a winder. Even if the risk of wear and tear on the watch is small, its a Rolex not a seiko and I would rather not risk it at all.

Seriously, you can’t over wind a watch on a winder. It’s literally impossible.
Also silly to imagine that it would create some sort of meaningful, additional wear and tear.
Agree about the complications. When you have to break out a pusher to set the moon phase and date along with the time it gets a bit tedious…
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 05:17 AM   #40
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
I too don’t understand all the hate for watch winders. I’ve used watch winders for the last 30 years and never had any problems with any of my automatic watches; Rolex or otherwise.

I currently have 5 automatics in my daily rotation - all with date functions, and don’t want to have to be setting the watch I want to wear every few days.
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 07:17 AM   #41
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

Not hating on watch winders at all. Just sharing what has been told to me and what is being said on YouTube. In fact, I may buy one myself if I get a watch that has more complications than just a date IF it's really true that it won't cause excess 'wear and tear'
Old 14 March 2021, 08:30 AM   #42
WBaileyii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/126610LV
Watch boxes for me. Rothwell is my current favorite. One 12 slot, one six slot.

I considered winders, but the only complications on my watches are date and a few day/date. Easy to wind/set when they come up in rotation. I would see a winder as just adding more wear/tear that isn't necessary nor useful...in my case anyway.
WBaileyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 10:21 AM   #43
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Watch winder or watch box?

Watch winders were something I bought when I first bought automatics to make me feel like I was more into the hobby. They don’t do anything for the watches and likely hurt them to some minor extent. Anymore I’ve gone to cases/boxes like below. I still have a single winder by my bed but it’s just a convenient storage spot. It’s never turned on.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 10:41 AM   #44
wclowe
Banned

Both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 10:59 AM   #45
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

I have a watch winder and never turned it on in 2 yrs. I like setting the watch. If not just get a quartz
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 11:37 AM   #46
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Watch winder or watch box?

I too do not enjoy winding or setting my watches.

At the rate I switch them, I’d be surprised if all that constant winding me setting doesn’t actually cause more wear and tear than if I just left in the winder during periods when I wear them more, and left them idle during the months they’re out of favour.

Anyway just wearing a watch causes wear and tear, and last I heard, Rolex watches were good for wearing every single day.

I fail to see how putting it on a good winder me giving it some good breaks from the winder is worse than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 12:06 PM   #47
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Inexpensive valet box or roll that is sufficiently padded but sized appropriately to fit in my safe. The safe is water resistant and contains documents and electronics that would be damaged by water, and so I would not want to drill it for a winder. And at this rate it would just be wasted energy anyway, as I havent worn any of my other automatic watches since getting my Rolex, and at this rate I probably never will again.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 12:31 PM   #48
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

If you do decide to get a winder I recommend buying a wolf. They are the best. If you want a cheaper model I recommend:

Making sure you can custom set the turns per day on it

Having an option to power with batteries

A winder with a Mabuchi motor

Old 15 March 2021, 01:26 AM   #49
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
I wear my humble 8 watch collection on both wrists, 3 per side, and the 7th on a gold bro chain around my neck.

The 8th one sits inside a walnut blasting cabinet, as I don't trust any RSC to do a decent polish.

It's an absolute nightmare getting extra links to fit around my forearms though.

Rubber B or Everest, any kind souls with further input?
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 01:39 AM   #50
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
I wear my humble 8 watch collection on both wrists, 3 per side, and the 7th on a gold bro chain around my neck.

The 8th one sits inside a walnut blasting cabinet, as I don't trust any RSC to do a decent polish.

It's an absolute nightmare getting extra links to fit around my forearms though.

Rubber B or Everest, any kind souls with further input?
It better be a serious gold chain and not one of those sissy ones. If it isn't enough gold that you have to see a chiropractor on a biweekly schedule to get your neck reset, then you're doing it wrong.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 04:56 AM   #51
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

Four I frequently wear/rotate on watch winders. The rest in a jewelry armoire. Watch roll for travel.

Old 15 March 2021, 05:10 AM   #52
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Muh joolsz chain oozes Mr. T, bald eagles & freedom.

I strong like Little Yellow Jacket, I no need chiropractor visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
It better be a serious gold chain and not one of those sissy ones. If it isn't enough gold that you have to see a chiropractor on a biweekly schedule to get your neck reset, then you're doing it wrong.
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 07:26 AM   #53
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
Sooner or later, a winder will die. If it’s a multi hole winder, one will definitely fail. A handsome watch box is forever.
Orangeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 07:37 AM   #54
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Seriously, you can’t over wind a watch on a winder. It’s literally impossible.
Also silly to imagine that it would create some sort of meaningful, additional wear and tear.
Agree about the complications. When you have to break out a pusher to set the moon phase and date along with the time it gets a bit tedious…
Which incurs more wear, a running watch or one that is stopped? Consider a 10 watch collection with all running continually as opposed to only one running at a time while being worn. Assume all watches get worn equally. compare that to a single watch which is worn continually for ten years. Which watches are going to need a servicing later, the ten only worn ten percent of the time or the one run continually.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 07:46 AM   #55
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

My understanding is that the newer watches have components with lubricants that don't dry out and so not wearing them for an extended period of time won't harm the watches. Vintage watches maybe more at risk if not worn. This is just info I learned on YouTube so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 21 June 2021, 07:15 PM   #56
Nadiac
"TRF" Member

watch winder with storage case is a good choice.
Nadiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 09:55 PM   #57
Driver8
"TRF" Member

The never ending debate....

Yes leaving a watch running forever on a winder will cause more wear on components than if a watch is stopped. However, even modern lubricants DO still degrade over time, so a service will still be required irrespective of use. Also you can still get lubricant migration whereby the simply effect of gravity will cause lubricants to migrate away (very slowly) from where it is needed if it's left in one position for an extended period of time, and not having lubricant in the right areas will cause more wear when the watch is restarted.

At the end of the day, and after conversations with a watchmaker, using a winder or not using a winder seems to make negligible difference to a watch over its lifespan. A watch will STILL need servicing after a number of years, irrespective of wear, so a winder (provided it's a decent one, like Orbita) is simply one of convenience.

Personally, I have had periods of both using and not using winders, and I have seen zero difference in service intervals or the size of the bill at the end of it.

I tend to have two or three watches in rotation at any point in time, so when a watch is in rotation I use a winder to keep it going and correctly set. When a watch is out of rotation I'm happy to let it run down and stay like that for a month or so. Like anything in life, I think winder use is simply about moderation - don't use them all the time, but use them simply as a convenience when required. And it's worth remembering that watches are designed to run 24/7 provided service intervals are observed, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over whether to use them or not.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:53 AM   #58
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
The never ending debate....

Yes leaving a watch running forever on a winder will cause more wear on components than if a watch is stopped. However, even modern lubricants DO still degrade over time, so a service will still be required irrespective of use. Also you can still get lubricant migration whereby the simply effect of gravity will cause lubricants to migrate away (very slowly) from where it is needed if it's left in one position for an extended period of time, and not having lubricant in the right areas will cause more wear when the watch is restarted.

At the end of the day, and after conversations with a watchmaker, using a winder or not using a winder seems to make negligible difference to a watch over its lifespan. A watch will STILL need servicing after a number of years, irrespective of wear, so a winder (provided it's a decent one, like Orbita) is simply one of convenience.

Personally, I have had periods of both using and not using winders, and I have seen zero difference in service intervals or the size of the bill at the end of it.

I tend to have two or three watches in rotation at any point in time, so when a watch is in rotation I use a winder to keep it going and correctly set. When a watch is out of rotation I'm happy to let it run down and stay like that for a month or so. Like anything in life, I think winder use is simply about moderation - don't use them all the time, but use them simply as a convenience when required. And it's worth remembering that watches are designed to run 24/7 provided service intervals are observed, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over whether to use them or not.
One of the most sensible answers I have read on this topic! I also don't think it makes a big difference to the longevity of the watch . (now I'm waiting for the "you don't leave your car running" analogy)
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote