The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2021, 04:54 AM   #1
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Brand New Rolex 2hr old Badly scratched both sides

i all,
This is the first time I have made a post on this forum, despite being a member for three years now. I prefer to read various members comments and views on particular subjects and form an opinion based on combined views.

I apologies in advance if this appears long winded, however, I’m hoping the well informed community members out there can assist me, your views and opinions would be most welcome and appreciated.

I got the call yesterday from a very large UK based Rolex AD, stating that my brand-new OP 124200 34mm (blue dial) was now in (1 month wait).
I like vintage size watches and choose this model to fit in my small three watch collection consisting of a 14060 an oyster precision (1958) and a BB36.

I won’t at the moment divulge the dealership name as I hope this nightmare will soon be resolved by the AD or Rolex.
I made the payment at the AD at 11:29 and left with the new watch strapped on my wrist under my shirt cuff. I continued shopping at a sports shop then a food store and then proceeded my 25 minutes car journey back home, arriving home around 13:15.
I then retrieved my loupe to have a real good look at the watch, however, before I even used the loupe I notice a significant scratch on the lateral case edge. Upon further inspections it soon became apparent that both lateral case edges were full of significant scratches almost from L2L both sides.

Now, I don’t wear jewellery other than just a watch, so nothing came into contact with it at all.
The watch was 2hrs 30 minutes old and full of scratches. The AD did remove some stickers from the watch suggesting that it was new, however, the watch looks previously used to me (photos attached)

The new Rolex authenticity card is now date only, it no longer has the name of original purchaser. Incidentally, the AD also put the wrong date on the card, it states 07/04/21 rather than 07/05/21, so potentially loosing one month warranty.

I promptly emailed the AD with photos and took the watch back to the store that very same evening. The tone and atmosphere drastically changed and there was an air of mutual suspicion. The AD now has the watch pending enquiries, so long and short I have no money and no watch, they hinted that I may have to pay for any work done. I stated that I believe that watch was not new and that I also believed it had been previously worn and then put back into sale circulation.
What’s your thoughts? Many thanks for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210507_130155274.jpg (144.1 KB, 3893 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210507_130622619.jpg (136.7 KB, 3875 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210507_130705659.jpg (150.0 KB, 3862 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210508_071547983.jpg (218.9 KB, 3856 views)
muddy-feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:33 AM   #2
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Did the watch come with stickers on it and they removed them for you? Those kind of scratches don't occur from wearing a long sleeve.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:42 AM   #3
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
I'm sorry my friend but the onus is on you to carefully look over the watch before you purchase it.

I know it seems like overkill but I use a jewelers loop to look over the watch and make sure everything is kosher before I pay for it. Why do I do this? I have gotten home just like you and found dust under the crystal of a brand new watch! My AD fixed it for me but moving forward I always inspect them prior to purchase.

I suspect your AD will polish this out for you and that will be the end of it. They will not give you a new watch.... at least I highly doubt it. There was a guy on here with a PM Daytona where the AD scratched the piss out of it changing the straps. That AD made it right but he was able to prove they did the damage.....
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:45 AM   #4
TTbluesy
Banned

Brand New Rolex 2hr old Badly scratched both sides

How does one walk out of a new purchase with this? That thing looks beat up pretty good and one would think this would be pretty obvious just by a quick glance.

Either way, hope it works out in your favor. I wouldn’t take it back polished as it would eternally annoy me. I’d demand a new one and get your credit card involved....but you have a serious uphill battle with 99% of ADs here as you left with it like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TTbluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:49 AM   #5
JodyHighroller
Banned

If I’m seeing things correctly, those scratches are significantly deeper than hairlines you get from a long sleeve.

Also with the scratches being on both the 3 and 9 o’clock case edges leads me to believe this was caused by an external influence, not the shirt cuff.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:53 AM   #6
bball0332
"TRF" Member

I don't think an AD would present you a watch that looked like that. If it "wasn't new" and they were trying to recirculate it, they would've polished it up and make it look new before presenting it to you, with the other stickers.

I think you have an uphill battle here.
bball0332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:55 AM   #7
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Same thing happened to my business partner at an AD a few years ago on a new Sub date. First they had their guy try to polish out the scratches. My buddy then said he wanted a new watch and they said they would have to check with Rolex. He also contacted Rolex and expressed his dissatisfaction. Eventually they got him a brand new Submariner date...He also never did any business with this particular AD again...
Old 9 May 2021, 07:55 AM   #8
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Dude...come on...those are not the type of swirl marks caused by a shirt cuff. How did you not see those before you left the store?
Old 9 May 2021, 08:00 AM   #9
tla
"TRF" Member

How did you not see that when you strapped the watch to your wrist on purchase?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:21 AM   #10
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Honestly I’m wondering about the same as said before. How could you not notice these scratches at purchase?

KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:26 AM   #11
MikeTysley
"TRF" Member

I just cannot understand how you would not notice those scratches when inspecting the watch at collection, loupe or no loupe. I also cannot believe that any AD would even try and present that watch to anyone in that condition.
It is your responsibility to inspect the watch when collecting
MikeTysley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:26 AM   #12
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Those are significant scratches and there’s no way you did that in 2.5 hrs with a long sleeve shirt unless you were rubbing your wrist against a cinder block wall.

So they were there when u put it on your wrist. Now I know everyone says and thinks how could you not notice it. There was another member who had the same issue and I said the same thing. But guess what when I went to pick up my white Daytona C I put the watch on and was so mesmerized by the dial I didn’t look at anything else.

When I got home I realized I never inspected the whole watch and was in a panic until I got it out of the box and gave it a good looking over. Thank goodness it was perfect.

But now I make a conscious effort to control the adrenaline rush and look at the whole watch and not just the dial.

Going back with a new watch all scratched up puts both parties in an awkward position. Best to be diligent on the spot rather than at home.
Hope it works out for you OP.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:31 AM   #13
UK_
"TRF" Member

Like most comments - I think you will have an uphill battle here, I can’t imagine an AD doing this on purpose (trying to pass off a used watch as new, without even polishing it up), and how did you not see these scratches?

UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:54 AM   #14
Strad
"TRF" Member

In addition to the scratches, the dial looks black not blue?

Strange...
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:56 AM   #15
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

If u left the store with it on, it’s your fault. There’s too many variables that can cause the scratches. How can u point fingers after the fact u wore it outside the AD. Now u are just spoiling your relationship with the AD
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 09:18 AM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I expect they will polish it and you won't see any residual damage. This is a shame, it spoils the experience, but if the watch comes back looking good as new, then hopefully you will overlook this bump in the road and get on with enjoying your watch.

You wouldn't accept a new car in that condition and it is a shame that you didn't spot this before you left the shop. A Rolex AD sold me a watch (not a Rolex) which when I got it home, had a deep scratch in one lug. I knew I couldn't have damaged it and I couldn't believe I had not spotted it in the shop. I worried that I wouldn't have a case but the AD offered a polish and price reduction or another watch. They had an identical one in stock at a nearby branch so I took it. Needless to say, I pay a lot more attention now.

Good luck with it. If not satisfied, you can progress it to to Rolex but hopefully it won't come to that. You have every right to expect impeccable after sales service from a Rolex AD, even if you're in a bit of a grey area. They will have seen it all and more. Hopefully, they will treat you as the honest customer you claim to be.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 10:28 AM   #17
PA Zu
"TRF" Member

Sorry this happened to you but thanks for sharing. As a newbie, I've walked out of the AD both times without giving things a good look over. I definitely need to start doing so based on yours and others comments. I hope you are able to obtain an acceptable resolution.
PA Zu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 10:44 AM   #18
peterpl
Banned

How do you walk out of the AD without noticing any of those scratches is the question I'd be asking.

That is why the AD is suspicious. If you looked at the watch while inside the AD you'd see those immediately.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 10:55 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I strongly advise to use a loupe before buying. Always. I never buy a new watch without my loupe and I never complained after buying. In this case OP I hope your AD will get this right for you soon. Good luck.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 11:05 AM   #20
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Did the jeweler resize the watch? Based on your post saying you left with the watch, I am guessing yes?
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 11:18 AM   #21
Notforme
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Sorry OP. I’ve learned to be meticulous when anyone else handles my watches. My first Rolex has a deep scratch on the clasp from my SA’s ring. Didn’t notice it until I was back at home. Best of luck.
Notforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 11:20 AM   #22
Airforce08
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
How do you walk out of the AD without noticing any of those scratches is the question I'd be asking.

That is why the AD is suspicious. If you looked at the watch while inside the AD you'd see those immediately.

100% this

Airforce08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 11:35 AM   #23
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
Did the jeweler resize the watch? Based on your post saying you left with the watch, I am guessing yes?
I think Gab27 might be onto something here.

If the bracelet was indeed resized, maybe the jeweler/technician tried to access the screws without bracing the case properly and it "slid" across the surface of whatever work area they used!

That might explain the 9 o'clock side damage I suppose.

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:16 PM   #24
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

To be fair, the lighting can be a little strange in ADs and if you get excited, it can be tough to see everything. This one is pretty bad though. It can get polished out while you wait at the AD. Take it as a lesson learned. In 15-20 min they will have it looking brand new.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:33 PM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I don’t think the time matters at all. I can damage a watch within 5sec of opening the box. Or can smash a new car leaving a dealer.

The issue is whether you actually had a ‘new’ watch and not a demo.

I bought a ‘new’ watch once that looked ‘new’ and after a hot tub dip, it looked well used. Why? Because it was Cape Codded by the seller and worn for almost a year.

I’d ask the AD some questions but again, stay off the time. It’s irrelevant. What is relevant is whether it was in fact brand ‘new’ and not an un-punched new demo or inventory transfer or watch that was bought back and resold.

Good luck.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:49 PM   #26
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by chro.nic View Post
I think Gab27 might be onto something here.

If the bracelet was indeed resized, maybe the jeweler/technician tried to access the screws without bracing the case properly and it "slid" across the surface of whatever work area they used!

That might explain the 9 o'clock side damage I suppose.

.nic
You read my mind! I think it might be possible, especially given a jeweler might not always have someone trained/skilled in doing this available at all times (resulting in someone removing links who doesn't have a lot of experience). The force required to break the Loctite bond is pretty substantial and that + using the wrong size screwdriver + putting it on a hard surface could perhaps potentially = slipping and scratching?

If keeping the watch, I don't think I would want this AD to polish it or attempt to correct this sort of thing in-house.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:50 PM   #27
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
It looks like the stickers on the sides haven't been removed and the scratches are on the stickers?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:55 PM   #28
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Sorry to meet you this way after three years. What a horrible incoming and first thread to post. There is NO way you could have done all that damage. Good luck with the AD.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:56 PM   #29
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Either the AD did this while resizing your watch with an inexperienced sales person or that watch is used and you got scammed.

My 43 year old Sub looks 100 times better than that.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:10 PM   #30
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Unreal. That's stainless steel! I've owned watches for years and worn them shrimping in tide pools without anything like that happening. Sorry this happened to you.