The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2021, 01:24 PM   #31
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I can’t find the equity in blaming an AD for an obvious set of scratches. I feel there’s some shared responsibility though.

First, the AD’s experienced staff should have seen these if they were present upon first inspection. By that, I mean upon receipt at the shop. Or upon showing watch to OP before sale. Or upon bracelet adjustment to fit OP.

OP should have performed close inspection upon initial presentment. And again upon receipt after bracelet adjustment.

Let’s consider that last part - if OP saw those new case scratches after bracelet adjustment then what’s the fair remedy for that?

I would guess it isn’t a new watch.

It’d likely be some spot buffing on a rouge’d mop.

That’s what the AD is going to offer IMHO - and OP may or may not foot the bill. A lot depends upon the perception he made in that final visit to that AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:28 PM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
Dude...come on...those are not the type of swirl marks caused by a shirt cuff. How did you not see those before you left the store?
Seriously, I'm not plucking down thousands nonchalantly and just walking out....why, because stories like this.
I even do a walk through before and after(when I pick it up) I drop my car off for service. Don't trust no one.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:29 PM   #33
leed
"TRF" Member

Sorry this happened to you, hope it works out for the better.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:39 PM   #34
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your responses.

Indeed lesson learned and a steep learning curve at that. I should have taken my loupe with me for sure.

The lighting in the AD at that particular table where my wife and I sat was not as well lit as other tables. I did enquire about a loupe and the rep said he did not have one to hand. As someone has already suggested, I probably did focus more on the dial and my wife not paying enough attention to the whole thing.

My gut instinct is that because it's a classically sized 34mm piece, it's really not that popular with the public and has probably been knocking around for a few weeks in and out of the shop window. The dinks and scratches probably caused by watch cases either side knocking against it whilst being put back in the safe at night.
I feel the whole experience has ruined its (brief) ownership, and it ain't over yet.
I may ask the RSC their opinions as it's around the corner to where I live in West Malling, Kent. 904L steel should not do that in contact with a shirt for 2hrs. Thanks all!

BTW... I did over hear whilst in the AD that Rolex are now electronically monitoring each watch sale, anyone that sells a new watch within three years of purchase with not be getting another one any time soon and placed on a flipper list.
muddy-feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 02:02 PM   #35
dannyp
Banned

I would contact Rolex to find out whether that 07/04 vs. 07/05 is actually a mistake, or if it was actually sold originally last month, then subsequently returned.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 02:12 PM   #36
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Seriously? 5 Minutes with Cape Cod and it's a non issue.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 02:31 PM   #37
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Definitely not new if u're honest.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 02:41 PM   #38
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I would contact Rolex to find out whether that 07/04 vs. 07/05 is actually a mistake, or if it was actually sold originally last month, then subsequently returned.
Yes, it was a genuine mistake on their behalf. The rep did hold his hands up to that one.
Old 9 May 2021, 03:47 PM   #39
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strad View Post
In addition to the scratches, the dial looks black not blue?

Strange...
That's the effect of the blue sunburst dial. In some lighting it looks very dark and in sunlight it looks brilliant blue. It's incredible how much the color hue changes with these in the light. I just bought my wife the identical 34mm blue dial OP Friday afternoon at my AD and I own the 36mm. Rolex sunburst dials are fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 03:51 PM   #40
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy-feet View Post

BTW... I did over hear whilst in the AD that Rolex are now electronically monitoring each watch sale, anyone that sells a new watch within three years of purchase with not be getting another one any time soon and placed on a flipper list.
Sorry to hear about your experience OP.

Btw on this monitoring bit.. how would rolex know that you sold a watch within 3 years?
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 04:37 PM   #41
drrd
"TRF" Member

Scratched and incorrectly dated card?

34mm, maybe a woman had it a few days and judging by scratches both sides wore it with other jewellery. Someone's had that already.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 04:41 PM   #42
Cru Jones

I’m sorry you scratched your watch. It can happen without noticing. I’m sure Rolex can make it like new, but yes, it will cost you some money.

As for the warranty card, it’s not clear why the AD wouldn’t fix that.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 04:45 PM   #43
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Amazed you left the AD with a watch in this condition.
Makes no sense to me.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 04:58 PM   #44
Andad

Watch: A few.
Have all the stickers been removed?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 05:14 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball0332 View Post
I don't think an AD would present you a watch that looked like that. If it "wasn't new" and they were trying to recirculate it, they would've polished it up and make it look new before presenting it to you, with the other stickers.

I think you have an uphill battle here.
Have to agree and if like the quote from the poster its badly scratched surely he would have noticed it at point of sale.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 05:45 PM   #46
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience OP.

Btw on this monitoring bit.. how would rolex know that you sold a watch within 3 years?
Yeah this makes no sense. There's no electronic registry for anyone to keep track of ownership. Unless they put a GPS chip inside all warranty-cards
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 05:51 PM   #47
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Thanks,

yes, I'm just as puzzled as you are, I don't know they did not elaborate any further.
Old 9 May 2021, 05:52 PM   #48
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
Yeah this makes no sense. There's no electronic registry for anyone to keep track of ownership. Unless they put a GPS chip inside all warranty-cards
If you sell it to a friend and they keep it then of course no one else knows.

The watch and card are uniquely identifiable though so if it ends up on the open market and Rolex see it then I guess you could find out what happens.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:00 PM   #49
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and if like the quote from the poster its badly scratched surely he would have noticed it at point of sale.
Thank you for your comments, I'm thinking perhaps the watch may have originally been from another store and the stickers put back on before shipping to partner store and thus covering the existing marks?

It was only when I got home and examined it properly in the sunlight that they became apparent. Straight on, you don't see them, only when the watch is at an angle to catch the light. Macro photos pick them up far better than the naked eye.

Lesson learnt, take my own loupe.
Old 9 May 2021, 06:34 PM   #50
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

Sorry OP, but if you even belief in this, well .... each watch will be retrofitted with an apple tag and DNA reader.
Old 9 May 2021, 06:50 PM   #51
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The lighting in the AD at that particular table where my wife and I sat was not as well lit as other tables. I did enquire about a loupe and the rep said he did not have one to hand.
It's easy to be wise after the fact but this rings an alarm bell. An AD without a bright light and a loupe available? Yeah, right! If you had been selling or part exchanging a watch, what's the betting they wouldn't have been able to find a loupe.

Plus the "oops we've accidentally back dated the warranty card, silly us". I missed this in your OP.

This is starting to look suspicious to me. I think the AD probably will fix it to avoid further embarrassment and I think you've probably bought a used watch.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:53 PM   #52
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

The AD did removed most of the stickers from the watch. I'm wondering if they just reapply fresh stickers after they have been out on display? This watch probably came from one of their other stores elsewhere, I believe they did some phoning around.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:09 PM   #53
PSTW
Banned

Quote:

Indeed lesson learned and a steep learning curve at that. I should have taken my loupe with me for sure.

The lighting in the AD at that particular table where my wife and I sat was not as well lit as other tables. I did enquire about a loupe and the rep said he did not have one to hand. As someone has already suggested, I probably did focus more on the dial and my wife not paying enough attention to the whole thing.

My gut instinct is that because it's a classically sized 34mm piece, it's really not that popular with the public and has probably been knocking around for a few weeks in and out of the shop window. The dinks and scratches probably caused by watch cases either side knocking against it whilst being put back in the safe at night.
I feel the whole experience has ruined its (brief) ownership, and it ain't over yet.
I may ask the RSC their opinions as it's around the corner to where I live in West Malling, Kent. 904L steel should not do that in contact with a shirt for 2hrs. Thanks all!

Few things.

Firstly, many of these perspectives are American where there is nothing like the consumer protection legislation there is in the UK and Europe.

In the UK the onus is on the seller to sell you goods in the right condition, it is not your responsibility to double check for them. It helps and is good practice, but you don’t share the blame because someone else sold you a ropey watch and you didn’t spot it.

You could simply reject the goods. By law in the first 30 days defects are assumed to have been there and the burden of proof otherwise is the sellers.

Secondly - flipper lists. Not in Europe. GDPR make that unlawful. I certainly don’t remember giving Rolex or anyone else my permission to handle my data in that way. I’d wager that you didn’t sign a data sharing agreement at the time you bought the watch. If an European found their name or any other identifying data on anything smelling like a flipper list, there would be grounds to take legal action.

US customers might be on the hook for all sorts, here in Europe, we look after consumers properly. Today, that’s your good luck.
PSTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:28 PM   #54
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Shop soiled by sales assistants and clients wanting a pepsi ...

Have you seen how some sales assistants bang the watches ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:31 PM   #55
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. I have indeed considered the consumer rights route, however, I shall take this option as a last resort.
I will give the AD time to respond. I don't believe the AD where I purchased it was trying to cover up anything.
I am of the impression the scratches were overlooked elsewhere and then sent to them.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:37 PM   #56
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

What it does do is highlight a quality control issue with the AD. The bracelet still retained the plastic covering, the card was filled in incorrectly and I believe these serious scratches were also missed by both myself and the AD. As I have said previously, in the daylight the scratches became most apparent not whilst I was sat the AD table.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:45 PM   #57
harvey
"TRF" Member

did you pay at least £100 by credit card? if you have no luck with the ad, contact your credit card company and see if you can claim under section 75. hope you get a swift and satisfactory outcome...
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:01 PM   #58
60sec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500, AP RO
The wrong date on the warranty card is really suspicious. How could that happen by mistake??? It seems this watch may have been previously sold and returned. Sorry that you have to deal with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:13 PM   #59
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Hi, Yes I did pay by credit card, However, I shall allow the AD the time to respond, I believe they are investigating their end from where they sourced it from. Thank you for your response.
Old 9 May 2021, 08:15 PM   #60
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sec View Post
The wrong date on the warranty card is really suspicious. How could that happen by mistake??? It seems this watch may have been previously sold and returned. Sorry that you have to deal with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have to agree. It's a month old watch worn against a bangle or tennis bracelet they they are trying to sell twice. They just forgot to polish it. That's my guess.

My wife has this watch and treats it like a Timex. I'm going to take a look at the case sides today.