The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2021, 07:34 AM   #31
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I have both and if I could only have one watch, I would much prefer the Submariner. It is much more comfortable and IMO more versatile. Also, the 8-month wait is an estimate, not a guarantee. You will find people who have been strung along by ADs for years.

Between the two watches...the Submariner is one of the best daily drivers you can buy. I would pay the premium and get on with enjoying it. Don't settle for something you don't really want because you may or may not get it in 8 months.
Old 21 May 2021, 07:47 AM   #32
subx
"TRF" Member

OP:
if your wrist is 7in minimum, then you can go any SD43, Sub
if your wrist in <7in : the Sea Dweller will feel too bulky.

I have 7in wrist and absolutely love the Sea Dweller ( SD43 ) it absolutely pops, and the dial texture ,red writing, etc is just tops.
Old 21 May 2021, 09:09 AM   #33
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Was debating same myself. Once my AD let me try a SD43 (it was sold, so he said) the choice was made.

He says he can get one for me. Just about 6 months waiting now, and counting...!
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 09:14 AM   #34
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
If you are a big dude and dive deep, SD. Anything else, submariner.
Old 21 May 2021, 11:25 AM   #35
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I would recommend purchasing under the assumption that the value will flatline during the period of time in which you own it. Be sure it fits your wrist. It's an awesome watch but it's not a small watch!
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 12:57 PM   #36
alexhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Blue Sub,Rol
SD

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 21 May 2021, 01:27 PM   #37
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Depends on wrist size. Can’t go wrong with either. Sub is more comfortable as it’s smaller. SD43 has more pop due to size. Both are stunning.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 01:49 PM   #38
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Sub v Sea Dweller

On my 7.25” wrists, which are probably big by TRF standards, definitely a Submariner. Sea Dweller is too big for me (IMHO). Submariner is my favorite watch anyway, so I’m not losing any sleep over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 03:45 PM   #39
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by scombs263 View Post
Depends on wrist size. Can’t go wrong with either. Sub is more comfortable as it’s smaller. SD43 has more pop due to size. Both are stunning.

This.
When I compared both “on my 7.5” wrist” the SD43 won.
I did a second comparison a couple of weeks ago, this time with the new 41mm sub but to my eyes and taste, the SD43 won again.
If your wrist is not that big and flat the sub should be all you need. Both are Stunning. You can’t go wrong but try to see them both and wear them before making the final decision.

Old 21 May 2021, 03:51 PM   #40
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Depends. I know this isn’t the direct comparison, but if comparing Sub to DSSD, this gives you perspective.

The below photo shows DSSD, SD43 and SD 16600 (basically sane size as sub).

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 03:58 PM   #41
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Sub v Sea Dweller

My advice is to buy the watch you want, not the watch that is sort of more available. The challenge, and reason I think many ask us on the forums for advice, is because the person trying to decide can’t try them on. Such a shame, so you buy a watch based on the wrong reasons and eventually run across one you are able to try on and love more, only then realizing your mistake.

The saving grace is that pretty much any steel sports model can be moved on without loss towards the one you eventually learn you want even more.

The downside is that after that happens, many to most end up regretting selling the first one. That’s why so many of us on here ... at least the old timers, have experienced those losses and want to save you from the same fate.

It’s not an easy hobby because these things are quite expensive, so getting even one is quite an accomplishment, but if only one, you want it to be the right one.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 04:23 PM   #42
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=SS Oyster;11467659]My advice is to buy the watch you want, not the watch that is sort of more available. The challenge, and reason I think many ask us on the forums for advice, is because the person trying to decide can’t try them on. Such a shame, so you buy a watch based on the wrong reasons and eventually run across one you are able to try on and love more, only then realizing your mistake.

The saving grace is that pretty much any steel sports model can be moved on without loss towards the one you eventually learn you want even more.

The downside is that after that happens, many to most end up regretting selling the first one. That’s why so many of us on here ... at least the old timers, have experienced those losses and want to save you from the same fate.

It’s not an easy hobby because these things are quite expensive, so getting even one is quite an accomplishment, but if only one, you want it to be the right one.

Very valuable advice.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 04:41 PM   #43
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you're a one watch guy. And that's really really awesome. The only way to ruin that is by buying something less than perfect. If I were you, save your money and get exactly what you want. You will never ever go wrong with a sub. But if your wrist IS big enough, the SD is extremely awesome too.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 10:03 PM   #44
Axi128
Banned

I would definitely go with the SD.
Axi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 10:54 PM   #45
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
If you’re planning on keeping it, resale value doesn’t matter. If you might move it at some point, they’re both going to hold very similar value for your ROI....at least not enough worry to base a decision off of...IMO.
Get the one you’ll love to look at on your wrist!
Me personally...if choosing only one between these two...hands down the SD (my wrist is 6.75 for reference). It’s just a more special in every way imo! Also the fact of, whenever I see a Rolex in the wild....more times than not, it’ll be a sub. While I do love the submariner, and it is more comfortable, if choosing between the two, especially as a one and only, I’d go with the SD every time.
I’ve had quite a few higher end Rolex, and if push came to shove, and I had to choose one single watch forever....SD43
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 10:56 PM   #46
Alboy
"TRF" Member

Having very recently sold my SD43 and picked up a 124060, I would agree with the comments advising to be aware of the way the SD43 sits on the wrist. I loved everything about the SD43, except for how it sat on my wrist - I found it too chunky for me, and generally a bit awkward. The heft was nice and made every other watch I own feel like a toy, but at the end of the day I had to accept the fact that it wasn't the watch for me. The 124060, on the other hand, sits perfectly on my wrist.
Alboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 11:35 PM   #47
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Sea Dweller. Be different don't be a sheep.
Look for a 16600 if you are inclined. The perfect watch if you like the sub reference but do not want to be like everyone else.

Yup, I said it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlam92 View Post
Completely agree with this and for me I have a 2005 Sea Dweller 16600 and love it. Definitely buy whichever you like best and two different watches.

Recommend viewing the Youtube video title "Story of an Icon: Rolex Sea-Dweller History"
https://youtu.be/2IgRegaeUbQ
Agreed with these. I'd still have my 16600 if I could have afforded to get my 116519 without trading it in! A really nice watch and a little 'off piste' from the popular Subs. And a date without the cyclops getting in the way, is something not available on the new king size model or anything else that Rolex now offer.

A shame the bracelet on the 5-digit models is objectively not as good as the newer models though.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 12:37 AM   #48
willywatch
"TRF" Member

Try them on first.The Dweller is a much better watch than any Sub in my
book,so if it fits you get it.In my opinion it is the best rolex sports model
they have ever made.
willywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 02:51 AM   #49
Little machines
"TRF" Member

The SD43 nice presence also the JC a little bulkier beautiful dial and unique. Either way you win . Good luck and welcome to the forum !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 03:11 AM   #50
LC23
"TRF" Member

you have to try it before you make a decision. so many variables plays into this...wrist size, what you normally wear and do... the last thing is price increase and decrease unless you are a flipper.

Get what you like, wear it, enjoy it. Sell it 5-10 years later when you want a change. Or be a typical collector and keep it cause it tells its own stories.

Best of luck. Post pics when you get it!
LC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 08:48 AM   #51
Stephen1888
"TRF" Member

Sub v Sea Dweller

Hello all, hope you are all well,

My quest for my first Rolex continues!!

I have registered with my local ad in Belfast and Dublin for a Sub (date/no date) and Sea Dweller approx 6 months now and would appear to be no closer to getting either one on my wrist.

I have just booked our family holidays for next summer and will be travelling to San Francisco, Los Angeles and Cancun. I am wondering are any of these watches are more available there either in the airports or cities? or am i being hopelessly optimistic!!

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Stephen
Stephen1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:08 AM   #52
Oystersteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 2/Sub/YM/GV
All day.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Oystersteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:31 AM   #53
stap
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel View Post
All day.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Beautiful!
stap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:36 AM   #54
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Both watches won’t be easy to find anywhere in California . My suggestion is , if you want the Sub wait or pay grey . For some reason it seems everyone wanting a Sub that picks up the SD finds it too large and uncomfortable. Personally I love my SD and D-Blue and do not desire a Sub , but if you want the Sub I believe nothing else will do .
Malum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:37 AM   #55
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChris909 View Post
The SD43 is indeed a nice watch, but maybe going back to the 116600 or the 16600 could be an option as well. I think the lack of cyclops would give you the look of a "no date" as it blends really well with the rest of the dial.
^^this. The new Sea Dwellers are way too big and clunky. I can’t stand the cyclops so of the new offerings it would be a no date Sub. But I think even there they went to big and shiny on everything. I have a feeling most of the current watches won’t age well and we’ll look back at this period 15 years from now in horror.
Now is a good time to still get a 16600. 116600 if you prefer the shiny and busier bezel and the large markers.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:38 AM   #56
Galion
"TRF" Member

Love my Sub but it’s nowhere near as bold and interesting piece as my SD43.
Galion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 07:47 AM   #57
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Hi and welcome.
What if it depreciates 26%?
Are you going to be disappointed in your purchase?

My advice... forget the $$ and buy what will plaster a smile on your face when you look at it.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 08:00 AM   #58
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
I traded in my 114060 for an SD43 and am really happy that I did. The Sub was great but the SD has so much more presence. Mind you, you need a larger wrist to wear the SD.
Old 19 October 2021, 08:12 AM   #59
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I used to own an SD43 and a 116610LN... I still own the 116610LN.

Admittedly I sold my SD43 after getting it fixed at RSC due to a movement issue, but for me the Sub is a just a much more wearable and versatile piece (and I have 7.75" wrists).

A lot of people (usually SD43 owners!) always talk the SD up as being so much better built, etc, but after owning both I can say that's not something I've ever noticed. Both are beautifully made, although the SD is noticeably heavier.

I'd suggest buying the one you prefer instead of buying what's, a) quicker to get hold of (as they both wear very differently), and b) what you think will "hold its value" more.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 01:56 PM   #60
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Sub v Sea Dweller

Honestly I used to say the SD 43, but since the arrival of the 124060 I’m kind of split.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote