The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 October 2021, 08:13 AM   #121
BatteryVoltas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
And then what happened?

Also super curious, what were the demographics like of those in line? Hype beasts or lots of serious collectors?
Now that the sting has worn off a bit, I would say the line was full of would be collectors. All in all good people and I had some genuinely nice conversations with several of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Was the store literally empty or were there still Codes for sale?
They had lots of Codes to try on and purchase. I think they even had multiples of the same model because I saw one was purchased in the morning and I was able to try on the same model later that afternoon.

It was a really poor experience. I can't believe an AP owned boutique would play the same games as their co-owned stores and ADs.

"Buy a Code to show us you're serious about starting a relationship with us and then we might consider you for a RO" is essentially what they were saying.

It was just a ploy for them to sell all their Codes while dangling the RO carrot.
I showed my wife this thread on Friday night and told her I was going to go wait in line Sat morning but she was being a negative Nancy, saying how it'll probably be like all the other AP stores we've visited (empty shelves and the Code game). I thought I might get lucky like the gents when the Boston AP opened. After leaving the store and giving my wife the rundown of what happened, she theorized that AP saw what happened in Boston and decided they could double/triple their sales by selling only Codes initially. Nevermind the enthusiasts who were willing to wait hours in line. "No one skips the Code Game™!" -AP probably

Someone said that they allowed nearby AP stores to purchase watches the day before. This is hearsay but given the circus that I experienced, it sounds believable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
I’m glad I didn’t try to visit during the opening. Will see if I can schedule an appointment some time. Does anyone know if they had any exhibition pieces to try on in the boutique?
They had quite a few pieces to try on and there were exhibition pieces as well. 34, 37, and 41mm RO/ROC. Lots of ROO. None for sale.
BatteryVoltas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 12:33 PM   #122
rand8086
"TRF" Member

What does buying a Code get you? Is this just buying a virtual code to possibly someday be able to buy a watch?
rand8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 12:36 PM   #123
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand8086 View Post
What does buying a Code get you? Is this just buying a virtual code to possibly someday be able to buy a watch?
These days? Unlikely.

Until people stop flipping AP's like it's Bitcoin or the latest altcoin, things won't be normal/good.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 01:14 PM   #124
7sins
"TRF" Member

Surprised they even had codes to sell. BH is entirely sold out of all AP models.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 01:40 AM   #125
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand8086 View Post
Well obviously buying a Code gives you the code to attempt to purchase a Royal Oak. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

@BatteryVoltas thanks for the on the ground reporting. I almost asked someone to go on my behalf to see what they might have available, glad I didn't now!

@greenlantern, if the Codes become flippable for profit...wow...we're about to enter into a way funky world. FWIW, I do think how quickly DavidSw sold a TT Code for 25k indicates the watch is nice, if it were at that price point instead of the current price point. But clearly they are selling, so AP priced correctly and I'm just cheap!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 07:26 AM   #126
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Was there yesterday. It's an AP owned boutique. They have some pieces to look at. They were mostly taking info sheets on customers. Chances of someone new getting a piece is unlikely.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 10:19 AM   #127
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I've had a snotty/weird/disappointing experience in at least 4 boutiques, with BH being the worst and Vegas putting my link backwards and telling me its normal, hoping to continue the tradition with this one next one day.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 04:34 PM   #128
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Visited the AP boutique at South Coast Plaza today.

Wanted to see a 43mm ROO chrono which they didn't have.

They had out on display 3 watches:
- 42mm ROO chrono steel, blue dial, strap
- 42mm ROO chrono titanium, grey/black dial, bracelet
- 41mm ROC gold, strap

Nice store and personnel.
Didn't ask what they had in the back since I'm really only interested in the 43mm ROO chrono.

My previous 44mm forged carbon was a bit too large, and I'm hoping the 43mm is a better fit, and not too far off from my Diver.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 06:54 PM   #129
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
They had out on display 3 watches:
- 42mm ROO chrono steel, blue dial, strap
- 42mm ROO chrono titanium, grey/black dial, bracelet
- 41mm ROC gold, strap
For sale or "Display only"? That's three more watches than I've seen on my last two visits to the Boston and Frankfurt boutiques!
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 07:54 PM   #130
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I've had a snotty/weird/disappointing experience in at least 4 boutiques, with BH being the worst and Vegas putting my link backwards and telling me its normal, hoping to continue the tradition with this one next one day.
Had a botique employee put on a clasp backwards, kept insisting it was right. But in fairness was a newish employee and how would they handled seen enough watches to know?

I do think the botique charm has gone down a bit overall as they keep getting overwhelmed by new enquires.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:31 PM   #131
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
For sale or "Display only"? That's three more watches than I've seen on my last two visits to the Boston and Frankfurt boutiques!
The 2 ROOs were only for display.

I didn’t ask about the ROC.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:39 PM   #132
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

What a joke.
Old 25 November 2021, 06:48 AM   #133
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
New AD Opening in Orange County, CA

Can you just walk in now or are appointments still needed?
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 06:54 AM   #134
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why bother, when there's nothing to buy?

Old 25 November 2021, 04:07 PM   #135
RFX45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you could always do walk-ins, it might just be a wait if all the associates are busy with customers
RFX45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 03:25 PM   #136
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
What are you buying? ...or will you be the 100th guy that day asking for a Royal Oak?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 03:01 AM   #137
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
What are you buying? ...or will you be the 100th guy that day asking for a Royal Oak?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
LOL good point. Was going to do some holiday shopping at South Coast and wondering if it was worth it to pop in and say hi. Probably not.

yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 06:08 AM   #138
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL good point. Was going to do some holiday shopping at South Coast and wondering if it was worth it to pop in and say hi. Probably not.

I guess you can walk in and have the SA show you all of the new releases on their iPad.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:40 PM   #139
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

A big joke, that's all this is.

And the joke's on us!

Old 31 December 2021, 09:57 AM   #140
guyfrom626
"TRF" Member

Happy Holidays everyone. I was wondering if anybody here has actually purchased or know someone who has purchased a watch from this boutique. I know I sound like a broken record; when I went there the first few weeks of the opening, the response on every watch (literally) was "that is very difficult to get" and "no certainty we can get it". , including Codes. Made me wonder "what the heck are you selling here?!?". If anyone does buy a watch here, please speak up!
guyfrom626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 01:32 AM   #141
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cat Wall Clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrom626 View Post
Happy Holidays everyone. I was wondering if anybody here has actually purchased or know someone who has purchased a watch from this boutique. I know I sound like a broken record; when I went there the first few weeks of the opening, the response on every watch (literally) was "that is very difficult to get" and "no certainty we can get it". , including Codes. Made me wonder "what the heck are you selling here?!?". If anyone does buy a watch here, please speak up!

I think the SA's are trying their best to deal with the overwhelming uptick in requests and I'm sure there's some AP mandate/protocol about how to handle it that they must follow. While the situation sucks, the experience is going to vary across the board for people.

To answer your question, I did happen to pickup something I really wanted, which was a blessing - I know. I have also seen many people come in and out with watches bought so they are selling.

I suggest visiting every once in a while, be cordial and express your interest wholly and earnestly and build a rapport. At the end of the day, it's a relationship.

And no I didn't buy them cookies and get a code first. In fact, I have virtually no AP history save for some straps I got for a grey deal purchase I made years ago.
fwong208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 04:19 AM   #142
A2-rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrom626 View Post
I talked to them over the phone a couple of times and probably my least favorite brand experience I've ever had. The rep said "well if you look at the price of a Royal Oak on the grey market, it makes sense for you to buy a couple of Codes first from us and then maybe it'll improve your luck with RO allocation"... I know the market is what it is but just not fond of a luxury brand putting it this bluntly.
A2-rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 06:26 AM   #143
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2-rolex View Post
I talked to them over the phone a couple of times and probably my least favorite brand experience I've ever had. The rep said "well if you look at the price of a Royal Oak on the grey market, it makes sense for you to buy a couple of Codes first from us and then maybe it'll improve your luck with RO allocation"... I know the market is what it is but just not fond of a luxury brand putting it this bluntly.
Look at it another way. At least they aren't wasting your time putting your name down on an imaginary list with you holding out hope you may one day get a Royal Oak.

Now you can easily make the decision if you want to play their game or not. It kind of sucks but that's the world we live in right now. I've given up on ever getting a 15202 but at least I can move on to something else now.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 06:32 AM   #144
Goin2drt
Banned

Almost as exciting as hearing a new sewing machine store is opening.

They wont have any watches to sell so who really cares.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 06:35 AM   #145
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Almost as exciting as hearing a new sewing machine store is opening.

They wont have any watches to sell so who really cares.
One of the boutiques I talked claimed that they managed to sell more watches than their original allocation this year - sounded like it one of their best years yet.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote