The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2021, 12:56 AM   #91
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Going through this thread, you can really see the difference in economic levels of watch owners. I own a three year old black Exp II and I'm nervous thinking about wearing it on an upcoming Norwegian coastal cruise. I bought this watch in Bergen before my last cruise and I was hoping it would break the ice and start another conversation when I return. It's a tiny store. I have a Swatch Irony Day-Date that has traveled everywhere with me for the last 12 years; Europe, Africa, Turkey. I remember the saleslady being surprised when I said yes, I'll take it, wearing my Swatch.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:30 AM   #92
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I ware my watch anything, anywhere. Never had an issue or felt at risk. It’s just stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:48 AM   #93
Nalk7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270,5508,124060
I live in El Salvador right now and have never had a problem wearing my explorer anywhere, it's not PM I know but a friends step dad that moved in from NY a couple years ago wears his YG DD everywhere, even the market downtown (that would make me extremely anxious) and nothing has happened to him either. I think down here you're more of a target wearing an Apple Watch than a Rolex since that tells thieves you have an iPhone on you, and they're more interested in phones rather than watches from my observations.

Also, my family is from Barcelona and I go there every year to visit and wear my explorer everywhere too with no issues. Its totally doable as long as you're aware of the area you're in, in BCN I would advise covering it under your cuff if your going to places like las ramblas and passeig de gracia.

Protip: ask a couple cashiers at local restaurants where pickpocketers and thieves are likely to lurk and just be extra aware if you're visiting the area.
Nalk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:10 AM   #94
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
To lighten up this thread, here is my SS SD43 worn at Bogatell Beach, Barcelona back when I was a naive lad (2 years ago) LOL! I guess going FG will be "lifestyle" changing ; ) That said, I only felt uneasy once, when I finding my way down an alley in the Gothic Quarter.

84D79C11-EA34-4D89-A4D8-FB81F2AE64B8 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Nassau, Bahamas is travel approved though! In fact, SS is pedestrian there, you'd think you've arrived at a watch convention! Shaken, not stirred ...

6947E756-B0E9-4BA1-B68D-1A6E474420EC by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:13 AM   #95
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Just today, walking down a very nice street in broad daylight in a wonderful part of Beverly Hills, I became uneasy as I realized a guy in a hoodie was following my wife and I. It’s very hot and a hoodie!! We ducked into a furniture store and I took my Navitimer off and stuck it into my pocket. The guy was still around but finally quit following us. Now that I read this article, I’m leaving the good watches at home next time!!
Wasn't it in a Beverly Hills restaurant that a man was robbed of his $700K RM or something like that? I believe the thief actually shot his female dining companion in the leg to coerce him to remove it.
Old 18 June 2021, 02:16 AM   #96
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemonster View Post
Wasn't it in a Beverly Hills restaurant that a man was robbed of his $700K RM or something like that? I believe the thief actually shot his female significant other in the leg to get him to remove it.
yup at Il Pastaio
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:20 AM   #97
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
WOW.

Your naivety is of concern...
I would say exactly that same thing about you-
It s hilarious that some on this forum think these other cities are inherently more dangerous than any US city or town.
Old 18 June 2021, 02:21 AM   #98
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Going through this thread, you can really see the difference in economic levels of watch owners. I own a three year old black Exp II and I'm nervous thinking about wearing it on an upcoming Norwegian coastal cruise. I bought this watch in Bergen before my last cruise and I was hoping it would break the ice and start another conversation when I return. It's a tiny store. I have a Swatch Irony Day-Date that has traveled everywhere with me for the last 12 years; Europe, Africa, Turkey. I remember the saleslady being surprised when I said yes, I'll take it, wearing my Swatch.
Nah, we're probably on the same level- I just make poor financial decisions ; )
Old 18 June 2021, 02:24 AM   #99
ThatSubGuy
Banned

After reading all these replies I think the best solution for a lot of you guys is to just wear your watches at home, where you're safe.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:25 AM   #100
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
At work on the Baltic Sea.
Old 18 June 2021, 02:29 AM   #101
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Any openings at your company
Old 18 June 2021, 02:33 AM   #102
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wasn't it in a Beverly Hills restaurant that a man was robbed of his $700K RM or something like that? I believe the thief actually shot his female dining companion in the leg to coerce him to remove it.
Yes, that happened and in my stupidity, a half million dollar Richard Mille didn’t seem on a par with my 30 year old TT Navitimer. Apparently I made a huge judgement error!
Old 18 June 2021, 02:35 AM   #103
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
It's 2021, clothing says nothing.

You've got old folks wearing their usual off brand polo's, shorts and white random sneakers because they are comfortable and still sporting a gold DD. It says nothing.
Very true, but in 2021, it's more 20-30 year old influencers or crypto investors that are rocking PM Rolex, AP, PP in tight T-shirts, skinny jeans, flip-flops ; )
Old 18 June 2021, 02:35 AM   #104
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
At work on the Baltic Sea.
Old 18 June 2021, 02:38 AM   #105
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Very true, but in 2021, it's more 20-30 year old influencers or crypto investors that are rocking PM Rolex, AP, PP in tight T-shirts, skinny jeans, flip-flops ; )
Btw, that’s exactly who we see in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Century City, etc wearing cool watches!!
Old 18 June 2021, 02:40 AM   #106
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I travel a lot, and I wear my watches!

Couple shots from Chattanooga and Quebec City below.

Old 18 June 2021, 03:06 AM   #107
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I travel a lot, and I wear my watches!

Couple shots from Chattanooga and Quebec City below.

Wow, sweet pics, gorgeous watch, thanks for sharing! Not really abroad though, Quebec City is almost domestic travel. I'd be comfortable in those cities, but then again, if you can't be safe dining in a Beverly Hills restaurant, where can you be?!
Old 18 June 2021, 03:21 AM   #108
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Hi folks,

After enjoying my 126711 CHNR for a year, I have come to a few conclusions as a lifelong watch guy... I am happy with one grail timepiece, GMT is my complication of choice as I travel more than I dive or time races (never), I am smitten with the Root Beer!

With that being said and with the renaissance of PM, full gold, etc., I have decided to reach for the stars and I am trading up to the full RG 126715 CHNR, absolutely my grail piece, hopefully a keeper!

As I enjoy traveling and have always done so with various steel Rolexes that have come and gone, how do you PM owners feel/ do about wearing your 35K+ watch traveling, vacationing, etc., particularly abroad (not on home turf)?

I know this question will solicit such advice as situational/ surrounding awareness- which I always exercise. Obviously, I wouldn't wear my gold Rollie bar hopping in Tijuana, but Vegas, poolside in Cabo- sure! So I guess I am mainly asking those who daily or primarily wear PM on home turf, do you guys have reservations about wearing PM say in mainstream cities like London, Paris, Barcelona, NYC, etc? I wore my RootBeer Rolesor without reservation on all of these trips & cities, but going from a 20K >>> 40K on the wrist is a whole new level and unchartered territory for me!

And if you do, and you decide to exercise "situational awareness on the fly", for example you inadvertently find yourself walking down a dark or sketchy street on way to a restaurant... have you found yourself taking cautionary measures (such as pocketing your watch) that you wouldn't have done while wearing an expensive, but ubiquitous steel watch?

I guess I am trying to gauge, as a daily Rolex wearer, what, if any changes to my watch wearing lifestyle there will be going for GOLD!
Last year in Barcelona my wife was rubbed in front of restaurant for her Rolex Yacht Master….. so I think twice
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 03:32 AM   #109
JParm

Quote:
Wow, sweet pics, gorgeous watch, thanks for sharing! Not really abroad though, Quebec City is almost domestic travel. I'd be comfortable in those cities, but then again, if you can't be safe dining in a Beverly Hills restaurant, where can you be?!
I've worn my Hulk, GMT, vintage Snowflake (RIP) through all of Europe and parts of Mexico - and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with my DD40.

End of the day, it's just a watch...and they're all insured, so no sweat off my back.

Keep in mind though, I'm also not rummaging through the slums looking to pick a fight or being outwardly showy (e.g. I know when to slip my cuff over my watch in certain areas). I'm very comfortable in where / when / how I wear the watches, but I know others are more guarded in that sense.
Old 18 June 2021, 05:57 AM   #110
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Economic Levels is nothing to do with common sense. I have a decent collection of premium watches and I'm super cautious.

Until it happens, many think that it never will. When it does happen, it'll be a memory that you will want to forget but never will.

My brother got mugged for his TT DJ with diamond hour markers outside his house a few years back. Jumped him as he was walking onto his driveway. To me that's a clear sign that I should be aware of what I am showing on my wrist...
Old 18 June 2021, 06:01 AM   #111
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Anyone that thinks insurance will handle and no sweat is missing the point. There is no guarantee it's simply "hand over the watch". Your safety and the safety of others around you can be compromised.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:15 AM   #112
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Anyone that thinks insurance will handle and no sweat is missing the point. There is no guarantee it's simply "hand over the watch". Your safety and the safety of others around you can be compromised.
Seems like this was directed at me, as I stated both things. The safety of others? Ok...

Enjoy wearing your watch at home, I'll enjoy wearing mine where I please.
Old 18 June 2021, 06:35 AM   #113
challer
"TRF" Member

Well, just remember, they are going to steal PM or not, Apple or Rolex. I don't believe the thieves are that selective. The challenge in Barcelona is they work as teams and are very effective. No wallet is really safe there. Watch the YT videos about the scams, don't wear what you can't replace.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:50 AM   #114
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
In the airline industry for over 20 years. Up until 2012/2015 I would wear my Rolex watches while flying and during layovers in the US, Latin America, Canada and Europe. No issues and no worries. Nowadays with social media platforms, these watches have become more and more recognizable and sought after. Not worth my safety and the safety of my loved ones. When I travel, especially abroad, I leave PM at home and wear SS with long sleeves. In the summer I wear my Seiko 6105.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:28 AM   #115
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I certainly won't go on the train in Naples (IT) again with a Rolex on!
I clocked the gangs working together eyeing me up before I even had a chance to hide my BLNR.

And lots of friends robbed in Barcelona of bags etc.

But even round where I live (Manchester UK) stories are very frequent now. Here's just a couple of recent ones...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-over-20795041

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...barns-20734458
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:45 AM   #116
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wear my watches when I travel. They’re just lowly SS pieces I guess
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:48 AM   #117
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
It's 2021, clothing says nothing.

You've got old folks wearing their usual off brand polo's, shorts and white random sneakers because they are comfortable and still sporting a gold DD. It says nothing.
I’m one of those old guys
I wear my PM watches on vacation but between locations (hotel, restaurant etc.) I have my Rolex in my pocket and my St Moritz dive watch (on a Velcro strap) on my wrist. Be smart and aware when out with thousands of dollars on your wrist. But in reality you’re just as likely to be targeted in your own town/city. I just can’t see myself hovering over my watches in my basement looking like Golum from LOTR.
For all we know, thieves are monitoring this forum hoping someone may leak personal location details.
Old 18 June 2021, 07:49 AM   #118
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Nope, i personally wouldnt walk around in the streets abroad with a full yg or rg piece. I’d probably still bring it though and wear it to selective places like restaurants or lounges with friends, or something. Or if i was staying at a resort only, id wear it also.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:51 AM   #119
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I take two tone on holiday always
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:58 AM   #120
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
I certainly won't go on the train in Naples (IT) again with a Rolex on!
I clocked the gangs working together eyeing me up before I even had a chance to hide my BLNR.

And lots of friends robbed in Barcelona of bags etc.

But even round where I live (Manchester UK) stories are very frequent now. Here's just a couple of recent ones...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-over-20795041

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...barns-20734458
Yep London is no better I won’t wear one in certain areas you have to keep your wits about you - probably just as safe as Tijuana now!
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote