The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 June 2021, 04:39 PM   #31
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthewaitlist View Post

I love the black dial a lot and this watch represents a milestone in my life ...
Really ? Now you want to screw around with it ??
Leave it as is !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 09:04 PM   #32
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthewaitlist View Post
Is there a way to get the authentic white dial?

I don’t mind paying for it.

I love the black dial a lot and this watch represents a milestone in my life so it’s not likely I will sell it.

However, I would love to switch up the look a bit as it’s my daily wearer.

They come and go on chrono. Even better there's a steel dial for sale.
Old 20 June 2021, 10:23 PM   #33
jets
"TRF" Member

Use an alternate Rolex dial or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 10:34 PM   #34
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdm View Post
As an alternative to a dial swap, have you considered switching the bracelet to oysterflex? Lots of great pics here on the forum of folks who have.
There are two issues to be aware of here:

1. There will be a pretty big gap between the band and case. OF model cases have extra metal between the lugs in roughly the shape of the bracelet end pieces, which the OP's watch won't have.

2. There is no steel clasp for an OF, and I don't know that the stock steel bracelet clasp and the OF gold clasp are of the exact same design.

It may be very possible to modify the OF band in order to deal with both of these issues, and #1 especially may not be a big deal to everyone, but they were not designed to be interchangeable (probably for this reason).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 10:44 PM   #35
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i'd say whatever floats your boat.
but keep original parts and make sure whoever works on it knows what they're doing
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:28 AM   #36
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

1. There will be a pretty big gap between the band and case. OF model cases have extra metal between the lugs in roughly the shape of the bracelet end pieces, which the OP's watch won't have.

2. There is no steel clasp for an OF, and I don't know that the stock steel bracelet clasp and the OF gold clasp are of the exact same design.

It may be very possible to modify the OF band in order to deal with both of these issues, and #1 especially may not be a big deal to everyone, but they were not designed to be interchangeable (probably for this reason).
Smarty end links, and use the clasp from your bracelet.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:31 AM   #37
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I would not swap dial. I like my watches to remain as close to 'as they left the factory' condition as possible.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:46 AM   #38
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

I am all for swapping the dial to something you like.

But imho stay with OEM parts and keep the original dial to swap back if/when you like.

Here is my suggestion:

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:59 AM   #39
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
True.

However, with Rolex not selling genuine parts, this is what people have to resort to. If they would open up the parts bin, they could wipe out a large majority of profit for the fakes

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah, or help make the fakes even more convincing.
Imagine if all the Chinese factories suddenly had free access to OEM bezels, OEM dials, OEM movement parts etc.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 02:13 AM   #40
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post
Yeah, or help make the fakes even more convincing.
Imagine if all the Chinese factories suddenly had free access to OEM bezels, OEM dials, OEM movement parts etc.
Uhm they do. They buy a gen as soon as they're released. Most likely the guys behind the fake factories are at the top of VIP lists at chinese AD's.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 02:33 AM   #41
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

The examples people have posted here look nice. But they also scream fake, even if they are genuine parts.

I purchased an expensive modern watch recently, and my biggest fear was getting a parts bin watch. It's nightmare fuel for a collector, but to have one obviously be on your wrist... I dunno. It's fun to see it, like when Watch Eric showed a hulk bezel on a black sub to simulate a kermit, but to wear on the daily... hrmm
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 02:57 AM   #42
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

If you're looking for variety, perhaps first consider adding a second piece. I personally wouldn't alter the Daytona but ultimately the decision is yours
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 03:39 AM   #43
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian628 View Post
Do what you want. Have fun.
... and NEVER listen to the uptight, no-fun, traditionalists.

Life is short. Watches are just stuff. Make your heart happy!

Its a freakin WATCH for God's Sake, NOT the Mona Lisa. If you don't like it you can switch it back - or sell it and buy a new one. As far as service, there are a million top-notch watch makers who will be delighted to service your watch in whatever condition its in.

Geezus are the repliers actually SERIOUS with these comments?
...And do not have a Rolex parts account?

I for one would enjoy seeing a list of these top notch watchmakers, forget about the million, I’ll be happy to view the top 100 on your list.

To the OP, first off imho the black dial is far nicer than the white. I have read many comments from owners of both that they prefer the black over the white. You say you are considering an “aftermarket dial” do you mean gray market Rolex original part or literally an aftermarket part?
If you want the white dial send it to Rolex, they should do it for you?

Personally I would not change anything about that watch short of selling it for very different watch.
Old 21 June 2021, 03:41 AM   #44
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
If not already mentioned, the hands on a Daytona are very fragile when removed. There is a 50/50 chance you will also need to replace them.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 03:58 AM   #45
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
Uhm they do. They buy a gen as soon as they're released. Most likely the guys behind the fake factories are at the top of VIP lists at chinese AD's.
He means access to genuine parts that they can use in the fakes.
Old 21 June 2021, 04:00 AM   #46
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
He means access to genuine parts that they can use in the fakes.
That would never happen.

A single spare part of a gen typically costs more than the entire fake watch production.
Old 21 June 2021, 04:19 AM   #47
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would never happen.

A single spare part of a gen typically costs more than the entire fake watch production.
It currently happens, and is done to pass off a fake as genuine for the price of a genuine.
Old 21 June 2021, 04:27 AM   #48
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
It currently happens, and is done to pass off a fake as genuine for the price of a genuine.
You clearly have no idea how the fake market works.

Basically what you're saying is the equivalent of a factory that fakes LV bags, starts buying genuine buttons at 50x the cost of fake buttons.

They then go through the extreme risky trouble of trying to sell them as genuine to end-consumers.

PEOPLE might exchange genuine parts into fake watches and try to sell them as genuine - fake watch manufacturers certainly don't. Please prove me wrong, I would love to be proved wrong. Please.
Old 21 June 2021, 04:45 AM   #49
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Basically what you're saying is the equivalent of a factory that fakes LV bags, starts buying genuine buttons at 50x the cost of fake buttons.

They then go through the extreme risky trouble of trying to sell them as genuine to end-consumers.

PEOPLE might exchange genuine parts into fake watches and try to sell them as genuine - fake watch manufacturers certainly don't. Please prove me wrong, I would love to be proved wrong. Please.
I think there’s a very big difference when it comes to using genuine parts to fake bags vs watches, and that is the nature of the supply chains behind the genuine articles. Many of the bag makers likely manufacture pieces in China, for final assembly in France or Italy, and there’s significantly more wholesale leakage of the real components out the back door as compared to watches. Rolex isn’t having its case machines by third party manufacturers in China, so acquiring genuine parts will be much more of a one-off endeavor and unlikely scalable.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 06:28 AM   #50
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Extreme risky trouble selling them as genuine? These guys knows that they are buying replicas, they just want them as close as possible to the real thing.
Sure, some just want a watch that is “good enough” that most people can’t tell the difference, but it is my impression that there are a market for 5000 USD fake watches if the watch are made partially with real parts.

And no, they might not do it now, but I am guessing that the reason for that it that it would be too hard/expensive to source the original parts. If Rolex opened up, so it would be easier to buy spare parts, I cannot see why producers of fake watches would not take advantage of that too.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 07:02 AM   #51
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm not sure where to prove you wrong since you seem to agree with me that genuine parts are put into fake watches and then passed off as genuine. I don't know where you got the implication that I meant it was done on a large scale. The only thing stopping it from happening on a larger scale is the difficulty in obtaining the genuine parts. Make the parts freely available and at regular Rolex prices and not super inflated secondary market prices like we have now, and you'll start seeing a lot more appearing in fakes.
Old 21 June 2021, 07:56 AM   #52
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Frankly in this case what can be done can be undone later; go for it if you like it. You can always put it back the way it was!!!
Exactly
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 11:15 AM   #53
djdm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

Lots of posts here where both of these issues are solved.
djdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 11:25 AM   #54
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
You could ask your AD if they would potentially sell you a white dial Daytona if you trade in your current black one to them as a partial component of the transaction. Be sure it is an AD that deals in used Rolex. Depending on the condition of your watch, an AD could net a large chunk of change from being able to sell your watch for full market value without the MSRP restriction. The AD's prospect of netting upwards of $25,000-30,000 from a single transaction could potentially have a (lot) bit of sway.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 03:17 PM   #55
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Buy OEM dial. Then swap back and forth. Win win.
NachoNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 10:07 PM   #56
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Dial Swap On A Daytona SS with Aftermarket Dial

I bought 3 years ago an OEM silver arabic racing dial with the original red hands included to swap my white dial on the 116520.
Still have both dials and after 3 years carrying the silver arabic racing dial, the white dial is being swapped back by a pro.
Change the dial sparsely. Every time dial and hands are touched, some minor marks inevitable will show.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 10:15 PM   #57
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
Buy OEM dial. Then swap back and forth. Win win.

I’d do this, otherwise it would look like a fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 11:09 PM   #58
brian628
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
...And do not have a Rolex parts account?

I for one would enjoy seeing a list of these top notch watchmakers, forget about the million, I’ll be happy to view the top 100 on your list.

To the OP, first off imho the black dial is far nicer than the white. I have read many comments from owners of both that they prefer the black over the white. You say you are considering an “aftermarket dial” do you mean gray market Rolex original part or literally an aftermarket part?
If you want the white dial send it to Rolex, they should do it for you?

Personally I would not change anything about that watch short of selling it for very different watch.
"millions" was a meant in a hyperbolic context. But I've never had any problem taking my Daytona to a local watchmaker and asking to change dials and hands - (see photos below). Its a 15 minute job for them. I live in Podunk Louisiana and there are three watch shops that will do it. Its about as complicated as taking my car in to change the tires. Maybe your experience is much different.

My intent is not to "fake" or "fool anyone" or "misrepresent" what it truly is for resale. That's fraud. My intent is to have fun because I like it. In fact, I've been thinking about trying a Mickey Mouse Daytona dial for fun. My 10 year old daughter prefers that one the most - and I value her opinion. Can't wait to post pix of that one and read the whining.

Question -
I also want to change the paint color of my kitchen. My house is worth 30 or 40 times as much as my Daytonas. Is anyone going to complain about that too? Lord forbid that its not "original."

lol
Loosen up folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3b.jpg (250.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 116500 dial - v2.jpg (198.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 116500 w racing dial reduced v2.jpg (137.9 KB, 49 views)
brian628 is offline   Reply With Quote