The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2021, 03:13 PM   #1
JRB2
"TRF" Member

new to forum

Hullo im new to forum and looking forward to learning what i can regarding the world of ROLEX WATCHES. Im looking to purchase , with little joy at the moment.
I have registered with my local AD , and have been told politely ( be patient).
Im prepared to buy on the grey market .
So a couple of questions , Has a member had experience purchasing a pre owned Rolex from a seller Zaeger Diamonds and watches in Melbourne and Sydney ?
Will the market settle or continue to climb ?
Thankyou and regards Jr
JRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 05:10 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 05:12 PM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Welcome to TRF
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 05:15 PM   #4
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Welcome - PayPal me $100 and I’ll tell you everything my crystal ball sees about your shady gray dealer and the soon busted market………..clearly I’m being an ass but I’ll still take the Benjamin!!
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 05:47 PM   #5
JRB2
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the welcome.
Ill go in search of a crystal ball.
Old 21 June 2021, 05:57 PM   #6
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 06:02 PM   #7
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Jr, in truth I'm a Jr as well although I go by a nickname (Lee). Welcome to the forum. My crystal ball is about as clear as anyone else's. The question of how hot the Rolex market has been bouncing around for a few years now. It seems to have been getting hotter through the pandemic and although there are those that predicted it's end, it seems to keep going on. Good luck in your search. There aren't many watches that are readily available at ADs but the hot ones definitely aren't. If you like DJs you are likely to be able to find one. If you're after a Sub far less likely. Even on the grey market there's a lot of variety in what the mark up is. DJs, Yacht-Masters, and even Milgauss can be decent deals. Again, welcome!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 06:16 PM   #8
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Welcome to TRF, its a great place with a huge knowledge pool that you can draw on.

What will the value of Rolex watches do in the years ahead, who knows, speculation posts or threads don't always last long on the forum, the forum is about the watches not an investment consultancy.

However, at this moment in time the watches retain an almost unique position in the marketplace with demand massively outstripping supply, hence the AD stock is theoretically sold many times over before it arrives in the store. A good few enterprising souls have contributed to make the grey market a very buoyant, but expensive place to shop.

But this is today, what happens in the future no one knows, ultimately the Rolex watch bubble will burst but that is unlikely to happen in the immediate future.

You haven't said which watch you are after but if you want that Rolex you can follow the AD's advice and be patient or you can dig deep into the savings and skip the waiting line and go to the grey side.

It's your call which direction to jump, you will get arguments from both camps, I am very much in the AD camp and willing to wait.

Enjoy your time here just keep away from taking about Rolex as investments, it can get a lot of peoples backs up.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 08:28 PM   #9
JRB2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Welcome to TRF, its a great place with a huge knowledge pool that you can draw on.

What will the value of Rolex watches do in the years ahead, who knows, speculation posts or threads don't always last long on the forum, the forum is about the watches not an investment consultancy.

However, at this moment in time the watches retain an almost unique position in the marketplace with demand massively outstripping supply, hence the AD stock is theoretically sold many times over before it arrives in the store. A good few enterprising souls have contributed to make the grey market a very buoyant, but expensive place to shop.

But this is today, what happens in the future no one knows, ultimately the Rolex watch bubble will burst but that is unlikely to happen in the immediate future.

You haven't said which watch you are after but if you want that Rolex you can follow the AD's advice and be patient or you can dig deep into the savings and skip the waiting line and go to the grey side.

It's your call which direction to jump, you will get arguments from both camps, I am very much in the AD camp and willing to wait.

Enjoy your time here just keep away from taking about Rolex as investments, it can get a lot of peoples backs up.
Thanks Martin, i didnt/dont wish to offend anyone . Ive been on the forum a couple of days . Ive read many posts. Ive learnt a lot already.
Ill keep my eyes open.
Jr
Old 21 June 2021, 08:35 PM   #10
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB2 View Post
Hullo im new to forum and looking forward to learning what i can regarding the world of ROLEX WATCHES. Im looking to purchase , with little joy at the moment.
I have registered with my local AD , and have been told politely ( be patient).
Im prepared to buy on the grey market .
So a couple of questions , Has a member had experience purchasing a pre owned Rolex from a seller Zaeger Diamonds and watches in Melbourne and Sydney ?
Will the market settle or continue to climb ?
Thankyou and regards Jr

Hey JR,
I have spoken with zaeger in 2017. They were selling the watch I eventually bought from my AD. It was $8000 below retail which was a lot back then. It seems even more ridiculous now.

I decided to by from my AD and I negotiated a discount. I ended up paying 4K more than zaeger. I was turned off by their non professional attitude. They were very flippant and gave me no confidence that I would be in good hands.

To be fair to them, I was new to watches back then and I probably needed the AD experience when spending that amount of money. Today it would be a different story. Today I would be confident enough to walk into a gray knowing what to ask or look for.

Also, I believe there are located in Sydney but they can send watches to Melbourne for viewing.

Good luck, do your homework, know what you want and know your prices. And it’s their job to sell, it’s not up to you to buy anything if you are not comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 09:08 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 09:16 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 09:28 PM   #13
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Welcome to the forum OP. As far as long term market conditions, my advice is to read up on past posts where this has been covered ad nauseam and form your own crystal ball guess.
Old 22 June 2021, 08:20 PM   #14
JRB2
"TRF" Member

Hi john,
It seems lots has changed in 4 years the dealer we are talking about and any other sellers for that matter have loaded prices way above new price lists,
SUPPLY AND DEMAND.?????
i have spoken with the sales guys ,they seem ok!
I hope to get to Sydney soon to check out the watches im interested in, or i can purchase via Chron24 and from what ive read , get a shitload of guarantees and money back if not satisfied?? Never used them??
A lot of question marks in my post.
Thanks again for the welcome messages