The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2021, 01:04 AM   #1
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
I am ok not being able to get my grail hear me out and thoughts

So I have been wondering if their are others like me.

I have stuck to 2 watches I have a Sub C and then an Omega AT. I always say the Sub C is a keeper but if something nice came along I would sell the AT.

Anyway their is one watch out there that I would sell my Sub C to help fund and it’s the Daytona C white panda dial. Since the day it came out that color combo it perfect and I would call it I guess my grail

Now here is the dilemma. Let’s say an AD called me tomorrow and said I have a Daytona C it’s yours. I would want it, but man how could I pass up the massive profit to flip it. I mean it’s only a watch. It’s cool to have but I am almost glad I am not in that position as I really love the color combo but do I love it enough to pass up 20k +. It does help I love my Sub so I am not itching for a watch.

Anyone else feel that way?
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:13 AM   #2
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I would not flip if I had the opportunity to buy at retail. Reasons:

1. I would rather have the watch than the money.
2. You're unlikely to get that watch at retail ever again.
3. You can always change your mind down the line and sell it, it's not going to tank any time soon.

It really depends on if you have a better immediate use for the money or not.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:18 AM   #3
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Everyone has their price, but at the moment I'm sticking with my watches :)
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:21 AM   #4
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I understand where you’re coming from. Some of my watches notably the platinum Daytona are worth so much more than I paid for them now that I’m struggling to keep it.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:34 AM   #5
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

It’s whatever rocks somebody’s boat. I agree that there are limits. I personally don’t see how any Rolex is worth more than 10k - and that’s stretching it (zero interest in precious metals or diamonds and such). The good thing for me was that the older Sea Dwellers aren’t that hot yet and was able to finally get one at my price point. There is otherwise nothing in the modern lineup that I’d be seriously interested in, except for the new Explorer I in SS. But I wouldn’t pay more than the retail price for it.
Daytonas I’m not a fan off really. I’ll pick another Speedmaster over those with money left over. I actually find the new Tudor in white much more appealing than a “real” Daytona.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:36 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It must not be your grail then
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:41 AM   #7
ROBERT1183
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX SOON
To each their own. But the temptation to flip them for instant profit is what leads to the harsh waits for pieces like that one.
ROBERT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:49 AM   #8
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Got to agree. Once flipping for a quick profit comes into the equation it's not your grail. Simple as that.

Worth bearing in mind, that flipping for profit isn't as easy as some believe. The market place is flooded with "optimistic" sellers of almost all Rolex's, and specifically the stupidly hyped models (of which the Daytona is one, if not number one). Firstly you need to factor in all those others for sale, so if you really want to sell you need to undercut the competition. Then you have selling fees to consider (which can mount up significantly), postage, insurance, etc, plus you run the gauntlet of unscrupulous buyers. Or you sell to a grey and they will lowball you simply because they can, and the lower they offer you, the more of their selling price they get to keep.

Personally I have never flipped for profit and I never will because I only buy what I love, and as someone else here said, I'd rather have the watch than the money.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:56 AM   #9
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I don’t feel that way at all. Got my black Daytona and wouldn’t dream of selling it.

Maybe that’s why I got it....

If it’s truly your grail, I’d expect you’d feel making a quick $15-$20k wouldn’t be worth losing it. Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:58 AM   #10
ugoblue
"TRF" Member

Put yourself in the mind of the guy who really wants the watch and is willing to pay $20K over retail today. I suppose there is an argument to be made that if someone is willing to pay that much over retail that they really don't care about money and losing it won't hurt them if the price drops; OR they unrealistically think prices are always going up and are going to feel miserable if prices fall. *IF* you pay retail, yes you could flip, which means the money is more important to you than the watch. On the other hand, your basis in the watch is really low compared to market price. The market could fall and you'd feel find because all you'd suffer is paper losses - you probably will always be able to sell for near what you paid. So if you pay MSRP you should never feel bad about hanging on to your Rolex. And if market price rises, so much the better. If you tire of the watch, you can still sell for a profit. Maybe not quite as much as selling new in box, but still a profit.
ugoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:59 AM   #11
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
How can you call a watch you are considering flipping before buying 'your Grail'...not quite.
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:00 AM   #12
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Last month I met a collector who's a millionnaire and runs his own factory. He was allocated a Nautilus 5711/A blue dial last year. He wasn't wearing it but rather debating whether to keep it or flip it. The only watch he really wanted to wear was his black GMT ref 116710LN, in spite of owning several highend pieces. He wasn't comfortable sitting on 60k+ potential profit just to own the Nautilus. Maybe he didn't like it that much. Had it been his grail watch, he wouldn't even consider selling it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:05 AM   #13
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
+1 I have several grails, none I will never sell unless it's either that or homeless.

OP, I wouldn't sell it. Enjoy it, you've earned it.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:05 AM   #14
sj24k
"TRF" Member

If an AD called me today with that watch, I would 100% buy it, wear it for a few weeks, then decide if I wanted to keep or flip.

My guess is I’d flip it pretty quickly though, since that particular watch has never been a grail for me. (Don’t even like it that much.)

If it was my true “grail” then I’d keep it and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:08 AM   #15
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I am so sick of talking and reading about this crap.

Jesus.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:14 AM   #16
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
Now here is the dilemma. Let’s say an AD called me tomorrow and said I have a Daytona C it’s yours. I would want it, but man how could I pass up the massive profit to flip it.
Quite frankly,it shouldnt come your way .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:16 AM   #17
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

everyone has a price, but also you need to realize that if you flip it it's not a watch you'll ever be able to get back (possibly)...that's how i feel about my AP at least. bought it 2 years ago and have no intention to flip because i'll never be able to pay 35k for a steel RO
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:24 AM   #18
Aquinas
"TRF" Member

I know you guys don't like hearing this, but economically, OP has got a very good point here: Not selling a Daytona for 35k is functionally the same decision as buying a Daytona for 35k.

It's interesting how the widely held opinion on this forum is that people would never buy a Daytona at that price, but still they would not sell it at that price. Would make an interesting study in behavioral finance.
Aquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:30 AM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
Would make an interesting study in behavioral finance.
Lets give you a quick conclusion in the study : Never sell a ss Daytona.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:34 AM   #20
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know you guys don't like hearing this, but economically, OP has got a very good point here: Not selling a Daytona for 35k is functionally the same decision as buying a Daytona for 35k.

It's interesting how the widely held opinion on this forum is that people would never buy a Daytona at that price, but still they would not sell it at that price. Would make an interesting study in behavioral finance.
But the OP's talking about his alleged grail. I'm technically sitting on some pretty heft profits with my Rolexes, but the difference is that I'm a genuine enthusiast for whom owning the watch is more important than the money. I've been into watches for a long time, way before all this flipping and "investment" lunacy, so I GENUINELY never give a second thought to resale value... because it's never my intention to resell, and certainly not if it was a grail piece.

Personally if I desperately wanted a Daytona (which I don't) as my grail piece, and if I couldn't get one from an AD, I'd be saving up and gladly buying one from a grey. And once I had it I would never sell it because it'd be my grail watch.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:36 AM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Last month I met a collector who's a millionnaire and runs his own factory. He was allocated a Nautilus 5711/A blue dial last year. He wasn't wearing it but rather debating whether to keep it or flip it. The only watch he really wanted to wear was his black GMT ref 116710LN, in spite of owning several highend pieces. He wasn't comfortable sitting on 60k+ potential profit just to own the Nautilus. Maybe he didn't like it that much. Had it been his grail watch, he wouldn't even consider selling it.
It makes perfect sense: The 5711 has become a watch for collectors of status symbols, not timepieces. It was never meant to be a rare, collectible watch (when introduced), in fact it was meant to be more of a substitute for the GMT II he wears daily. From a collector's point of view, that's probably how he sees it. And/or he sees it as a way to have paid about $30k for the next $100k+ minute repeater he wants to add to his collection.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:40 AM   #22
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

if it's a watch you actually want to own and wear it's not the same
Old 22 June 2021, 02:44 AM   #23
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
So I have been wondering if their are others like me.

I have stuck to 2 watches I have a Sub C and then an Omega AT. I always say the Sub C is a keeper but if something nice came along I would sell the AT.

Anyway their is one watch out there that I would sell my Sub C to help fund and it’s the Daytona C white panda dial. Since the day it came out that color combo it perfect and I would call it I guess my grail

Now here is the dilemma. Let’s say an AD called me tomorrow and said I have a Daytona C it’s yours. I would want it, but man how could I pass up the massive profit to flip it. I mean it’s only a watch. It’s cool to have but I am almost glad I am not in that position as I really love the color combo but do I love it enough to pass up 20k +. It does help I love my Sub so I am not itching for a watch.

Anyone else feel that way?
So the Daytona is not your grail watch?

If it was you wouldn’t be talking about flipping it, you would be keeping it.

Irrespective of whether your AD calls the reality is that all you’re concerned about is turning a profit, if that’s what you want of your so called grail watch then so be it but it’s not a grail to own and wear it’s a grail to flip and profit from.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:44 AM   #24
Aquinas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Lets give you a quick conclusion in the study : Never sell a ss Daytona.
I wish I had sold a Daytona in 2008 when I made my initial investment in Amazon and had added the sale proceeds then. And let's not start about crypto. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
But the OP's talking about his alleged grail. I'm technically sitting on some pretty heft profits with my Rolexes, but the difference is that I'm a genuine enthusiast for whom owning the watch is more important than the money. I've been into watches for a long time, way before all this flipping and "investment" lunacy, so I GENUINELY never give a second thought to resale value... because it's never my intention to resell, and certainly not if it was a grail piece.

Personally if I desperately wanted a Daytona (which I don't) as my grail piece, and if I couldn't get one from an AD, I'd be saving up and gladly buying one from a grey. And once I had it I would never sell it because it'd be my grail watch.
No, your position is very consistent then. If you'd buy a Daytona at any price, then it's understandable that you would not sell it at any price. My point is that it's irrational to say that you would not buy it at 35k, but do not sell it at 35k.
Aquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:45 AM   #25
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I wish I had sold a Daytona in 2008 when I made my initial investment in Amazon and had added the sale proceeds then. And let's not start about crypto. Oh well.

No, your position is very consistent then. If you'd buy a Daytona at any price, then it's understandable that you would not sell it at any price. My point is that it's irrational to say that you would not buy it at 35k, but do not sell it at 35k.
you wouldn't have been holding bitcoin from then to now anyway lol. hindsight is 20/20 and no one who bought in when it was < 100 or even 1000 is still holding unless they forgot they own it and suddenly found their wallets

and how is it irrational? if you sell at 35k then you likely won't be able to ever get back a watch that you really want ...
Old 22 June 2021, 02:47 AM   #26
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcut1 View Post
i am so sick of talking and reading about this crap.

Jesus.
+1
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:52 AM   #27
ks58
Banned

Yea, unless you have the best relationship, you wouldn’t get it. The AD doesn’t want you to flip it. They could lose their Rolex franchise.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 03:00 AM   #28
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I am so sick of talking and reading about this crap.

Jesus.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 04:07 AM   #29
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Being brutally blunt here: This is not a dilemma. It’s a fantasy. You have mistakenly entered The Rolex Forum website thinking it’s the The Rolex Fantasy website. And as with many fantasies, the less people you share it with the better. Except Chewie, I’m a bit curious to see what his are.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 04:23 AM   #30
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Being brutally blunt here: This is not a dilemma. It’s a fantasy. You have mistakenly entered The Rolex Forum website thinking it’s the The Rolex Fantasy website. And as with many fantasies, the less people you share it with the better. Except Chewie, I’m a bit curious to see what his are.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote