The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2021, 05:06 AM   #31
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Yea I would agree - its not a grail if you'd consider flipping.

Kinda surprised though, you're not a new member.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 05:09 AM   #32
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Grail means you don’t care about 15-20k. Must not be. Only have one shot, if your lucky to get it at retail… that money will come and go
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 05:14 AM   #33
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I understand where you’re coming from. Some of my watches notably the platinum Daytona are worth so much more than I paid for them now that I’m struggling to keep it.
I bought mine used when they were far from scarce, so I'm in a similar position. For some reason, I don't find myself worrying about it, or babying it. It's still my daily. I do have it insured, which I had stopped doing with my old DJ perhaps 20-25 years ago, but it's not insured for whatever market value is. I suppose I might consider sitting it if I were going to an area that I wasn't comfortable in, but otherwise, I'm going to enjoy it. I do kinda wonder what the real bid might be for it, but can't imagine it's six digits. And it may drop if it's not disco'd. Hard to believe it's now so scarce.

If I had a bunch of watches, I'd probably feel like you and be tempted to "take some money off the table." Rising prices are, I guess, a double-edged sword.
Old 22 June 2021, 05:24 AM   #34
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Got to agree. Once flipping for a quick profit comes into the equation it's not your grail. Simple as that.

Worth bearing in mind, that flipping for profit isn't as easy as some believe. The market place is flooded with "optimistic" sellers of almost all Rolex's, and specifically the stupidly hyped models (of which the Daytona is one, if not number one). Firstly you need to factor in all those others for sale, so if you really want to sell you need to undercut the competition. Then you have selling fees to consider (which can mount up significantly), postage, insurance, etc, plus you run the gauntlet of unscrupulous buyers. Or you sell to a grey and they will lowball you simply because they can, and the lower they offer you, the more of their selling price they get to keep.

Personally I have never flipped for profit and I never will because I only buy what I love, and as someone else here said, I'd rather have the watch than the money.
Completely agree. Doesn’t sound like the Daytona C is actually your grail.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 05:52 AM   #35
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

No, if it we truly my grail I would not sell

I have Daytona white and it is a forever watch. Not selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 05:59 AM   #36
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

To those complaining about reading this topic, no one has a gun to your heads, telling you what to read. Also, the world doesn’t revolve around you. I’m relatively new to this place & haven’t been active until recently, and find the topic interesting. Reading comments torching the OP for voicing his thoughts reminds me that people can be grinchy & holier-than-thou even in a community where maturity should predominate.

OP - If you got this hypothetical call, I can see the temptation to flip if you’re in a financially tenuous situation regardless of whether or not the Daytona-C is your grail. But as someone else here said, everyone has his price. How much would the 20K save your skin? For some folks here, 20K is play money. For others, it’s survival money. Only you can determine where you stand on that continuum.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 06:45 AM   #37
Derek411
"TRF" Member

I thought this was about wait lists.

I won’t get mine as I can’t get on the list despite buying a humble Black Bay before. Even if I do it’s 5 years apparently. I’m too tight and Scottish to drop 10k on a 6k watch.

Yes. A humble no date sub. Sad face.
Derek411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 06:50 AM   #38
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Everything is for sale
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 06:55 AM   #39
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
The watch, no question. "Found" money via an excessive profit tends to get spent on frivolous things. The watch, however, remains. Just my opinion.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 07:03 AM   #40
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I would never buy a watch to flip, just not my thing. It is just a watch though, if I NEEDED the money in a hurry I would sell.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 08:10 AM   #41
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Good responses everyone.

I learned a few things.

1. I don’t think I have a grail watch and never will. Almost everything in life has a price. That’s not how everyone thinks and it’s not a bad thing it’s just a thing. My hope is I don’t ever need to sell something of value for an emergency need. I have planned well financially but never want to say never.

2. I am glad to be able to own a couple very nice timepieces and if I go back 12-15 years ago I thought my 450 citizen was high end.

3. I am glad to be part of an excellent watch community and I am glad to enjoy others discussions about watches.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 09:27 AM   #42
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
there is a good point here about subjectivity of the value of $20k. to some, it's a lot, to others it's spent on liquor in a week. EVERYTHING has a price. sometimes i buy something i've lusted after forever, get bored and dump it. i've done it hundred times at a loss with watches, cars, and motorcycles. i've also done it for a profit on much fewer watches. i'm not driving the insanity of this market and nor is the OP. it's just stuff that none of us even need. get it, see if you actually love it then decide accordingly.