The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 August 2021, 06:50 AM   #1
k8wt
"TRF" Member

Incoming - First Patek

So, the good news is that I have bought my first Patek - a lovely 6119G.

I would have liked to have collected it from the boutique in person, however, with travel restrictions this has not been possible.

The not so good news is that upon unpacking it this evening I noticed that there are a few light scratches on the side of the case, near the outside of the lug and also on the surround to the crystal case back.

The strap also appears a bit less than 'showroom' condition.

Whilst I do not wish to begin my Patek journey on a sour note with a new AD, what is reasonable to suggest or advise if you received a new watch like this from an AD, albeit a Patek Philippe piece?

Thanks in advance.

k8wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 06:53 AM   #2
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Incoming - First Patek

Return it for a new one. Right away.

Edit: I will add that this experience, buying your first Patek, should be 100% enjoyable and without issue. I hope your AD does the right thing. Please keep us posted.
Old 6 August 2021, 06:53 AM   #3
mjm700
"TRF" Member

None of it is acceptable. New from an AD is new. Period. How did you collect it if not in person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 06:54 AM   #4
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Before I even congrat you, WHAT THE HELL is that?

Take this watch back right away. Unbelieveable.

This is NOT how new PATEK should be from AD. Most likely its a demo watch or tried by other people at the shop. Not Acceptable. Return it!!

Old 6 August 2021, 06:56 AM   #5
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

With a new 6119G, I bet whole town have tried in on hand before sending it to you.

I have never seen any Patek at AD abused/used like yours. Return and get a discount now. 25% minimum due to poor service and watch. Make them cry :)
Old 6 August 2021, 06:58 AM   #6
k8wt
"TRF" Member

I agree, this definitely appears to be a demo watch. I am astounded that they even thought it would be acceptable to send it in this condition.

So much for trying to build a relationship with a new AD. How is this going to help :( Regardless of that, this I feel is not the Patek experience at all...
Old 6 August 2021, 07:02 AM   #7
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8wt View Post
I agree, this definitely appears to be a demo watch. I am astounded that they even thought it would be acceptable to send it in this condition.

So much for trying to build a relationship with a new AD. How is this going to help :( Regardless of that, this I feel is not the Patek experience at all...

unfortunate experience with your first Patek, definitely not what i would expect from them. i hope they make this right for you right away! keep us posted
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 07:05 AM   #8
k8wt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
unfortunate experience with your first Patek, definitely not what i would expect from them. i hope they make this right for you right away! keep us posted
What is reasonable - I doubt they can get another piece any time soon?
Old 6 August 2021, 07:08 AM   #9
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What is reasonable - I doubt they can get another piece any time soon?
Patience.
But you cannot accept this watch as is.

If you want to keep it ask for 25% refund. Due to bad, demo watch along with bad experience.
Old 6 August 2021, 07:25 AM   #10
k8wt
"TRF" Member

I guess this is not something that happens often - if at all. Therefore, is 25% even possible from an AD?

Still shocked how they thought this was OK, honestly, mind blown....

Picked up more than a few Rolex pieces and they were perfectly flawless even with PCLs. This is a monumental disaster in comparison when you factor in the brand prestige and the cost, am I not wrong?!
Old 6 August 2021, 07:37 AM   #11
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
I guess this is not something that happens often - if at all. Therefore, is 25% even possible from an AD?

Picked up more than a few Rolex pieces and they were perfectly flawless even with PCLs. This is a monumental disaster in comparison when you factor in the brand prestige and the cost, am I not wrong?!
Since 25% was very doable on a new Patek before the hype, especially Calatravas, then it should be no problem now for this demo "shopworn" piece, have them give you a new strap (or two) and I think you should be set. Beautiful watch by the way.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 07:38 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Pictures look bad but I can make most watches look bad via photos focusing on specific hairlines etc with the same effect if I wanted to with lighting. Fact is the watch is white gold and extremely soft....I have never had a watch brand new from any brand in gold that's pristine and 100% perfect after handling (peeling off stickers)/transit. So there has to be some give. That said.....I don't think it's acceptable to have any wear in the leather strap that you pictured there....but without seeing how deep those scratches are actually in person, I'm not so sure from just these photos how "normal"/acceptable it is. Good luck contacting the AD OP, I agree concessions must be made on their side though.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 07:51 AM   #13
chel
Banned

Watch: Hulk
You should have gone to AD store get it in person.
chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 08:02 AM   #14
Oryx
"TRF" Member

agree - this isn’t acceptable
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 08:25 AM   #15
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
And don’t let them sell you on the old chestnut “We’ll have Patek polish it for you.”

A new one or a refund.
Old 6 August 2021, 09:08 AM   #16
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

I haven't owned a PP yet but it is totally unacceptable for my first PP? Return it with 2nd thought
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 12:42 PM   #17
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

6119 is an amazing piece… but this is a horrible experience caused by the AD.

You should absolutely return the watch for a full refund. Don’t take store credit. Don’t worry if you have to wait, it’s better to wait and have options with other ADs then let them hold onto your money when the AD did this.

My 6119R came sealed by Patek from the factory. That’s how you should get this piece.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 01:39 PM   #18
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Not acceptable for your AD to sell this to you without disclosing first, regardless of whether this is your 1st or 101st Patek.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 02:46 PM   #19
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Return it. Not acceptable for a new watch from AD.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 04:34 PM   #20
dragonliondog
"TRF" Member

sorry to see that
it is not acceptable at all
dragonliondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 07:01 PM   #21
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I would never accept that watch period.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 09:10 PM   #22
k8wt
"TRF" Member

Just an update for you all. I have received an email response from the AD:

I sent:

Many thanks again for your support and shipping the watch.

I was slightly hesitant in sending this email, as I was under the impression that the watch was new and wrapped in plastic when we first discussed the watch in July. However, on unpacking the watch yesterday evening I noticed there are surface scratches on the side of the case and case back as indicated in the photos. The strap also looks slightly worn appearing as if it has been tried on numerous times.

Can you advise how best this can be resolved?

AD's response

Good Morning XXXXXXX
I can confirm that the watch was wrapped when i first spoke with you, then stored in a leather watch pouch, it was not unwrapped until it was put in the box.

So i am mystified to how this watch has now got the scratches. on the case back and the side of the case.
As all watches which are posted, They are inspected by two experienced staff members , which would not of released the watch in that condition.

We pride ourselves with our good customer service, so as previously discussed with you, a shorter strap was required. I will place an order for this, just confirm your choice was the navy calf with white stitching

I believe you. said you were hoping to visit XXXXXXXX soon, so please call into our store with the watch and our watch technician will be happy to take a look at the watch and advise what can be do to correct the condition of the watch

Look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards
XXXXXXXX

Not exactly the response I was expecting. Obviously do not wish for this to turn sour but I do not feel that they have done enough....
Old 6 August 2021, 10:00 PM   #23
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:

I sent:

I was slightly hesitant in sending this email, as I was under the impression that the watch was new and wrapped in plastic when we first discussed the watch in July. However, on unpacking the watch yesterday evening I noticed there are surface scratches on the side of the case and case back as indicated in the photos. The strap also looks slightly worn appearing as if it has been tried on numerous times.

AD's response

Good Morning XXXXXXX
I can confirm that the watch was wrapped when i first spoke with you, then stored in a leather watch pouch, it was not unwrapped until it was put in the box.

So i am mystified to how this watch has now got the scratches. on the case back and the side of the case.
As all watches which are posted, They are inspected by two experienced staff members , which would not of released the watch in that condition.

We pride ourselves with our good customer service, so as previously discussed with you, a shorter strap was required. I will place an order for this, just confirm your choice was the navy calf with white stitching

I believe you. said you were hoping to visit XXXXXXXX soon, so please call into our store with the watch and our watch technician will be happy to take a look at the watch and advise what can be do to correct the condition of the watch

Kind regards
XXXXXXXX

Not exactly the response I was expecting. Obviously do not wish for this to turn sour but I do not feel that they have done enough....
They haven’t done enough. That was a well written code for “too bad so sad” statement. It also sounds like he is telling you that you are wrong or the scratches happened after it left his store. I am very sorry this happened. Perhaps you should call and talk to the manager of the store. Tell him you saw the scratches immediately upon inspection so they definitely happen before your possession of it. Tell them you wish to ship the watch back and either have it corrected or be reimbursed. If the scratches aren’t deep they can buff them out locally and the strap is easy to replace. Some here suggested asking for a 25% discount. I would not personally do that because it might sound as if you set this whole thing up from the beginning to get that. If they suggested a discount and it’s acceptable to you then that’s different. Either way a phone call is in order at this point. Have your talking points ready and stay strong with this person on the phone because judging by his email he might get aggressive and push back. Remember you’re 100% in the right on this and not just because you’re the customer. You received a brand new extremely expensive timepiece in used condition. That’s unacceptable in any terms. I’m sure Patek corporate would agree. Good luck. I’m sure if you communicate well with them you’ll get the resolution you want and are entitled to.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 10:24 PM   #24
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

Definitely return!!
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 11:17 PM   #25
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Don't you have 14 days to return the item?
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 11:35 PM   #26
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I sent:

AD's response

Good Morning XXXXXXX

Kind regards
XXXXXXXX

RETURN. Period.

The reply is nothing but "oh too bad, at least you got the 6119 and we don't give a sh**".

What a shame. Poor service. I guess they really do not know Patek :)
Old 7 August 2021, 12:02 AM   #27
JerBear
"TRF" Member

I completely agree with returning the watch. It's also very disappointing to hear your AD did not immediately suggest a return to resolve this issue.

Please keep us posted and good luck.
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 12:15 AM   #28
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I sent:

AD's response

Good Morning XXXXXXX

Kind regards
XXXXXXXX

Yeah... It looks like your only option through them is to have it polished. It's a shame that you didn't record yourself unpackaging and inspecting the watch once you received it.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 12:20 AM   #29
k8wt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Yeah... It looks like your only option through them is to have it polished. It's a shame that you didn't record yourself unpackaging and inspecting the watch once you received it.
I honestly thought that would not be necessary. It wasn't as if i was buying an item from eBay.

After trying to call them I could not reach a manager (none in today!) and the sales rep. I was dealing with was on a day off.

I have since emailed the rep. asking for them to send a courier to collect my the watch for return and send a replacement (chances that none are available).

Let's see what happens.
Old 7 August 2021, 12:43 AM   #30
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Wow that's some pretty shitty customer service from a Patek boutique I assume in the UK. I would 100% return the watch for a full refund and move on your spending way to much money to be unhappy. I would talk to the boutique manager or talk directly to Patek about the matter. Both of my sport model Pateks were in flawless condition from my USA AD with zero signs of wear and tear at all. I personally would not accept any damaged timepiece period.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote