The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 2 October 2021, 09:26 PM   #31
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have looked at Grand Seiko and agree that they make a beautiful timepiece. I also feel that from a marketing perspective, they need to re-brand and remove Seiko from their name.
Like it or not, the name Seiko carries with it feeling of a lesser brand and that cannot be erased from some minds.

IMHO, many like me, warranted or not, find difficulty spending 10K for a Seiko.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:57 PM   #32
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
I have looked at Grand Seiko and agree that they make a beautiful timepiece. I also feel that from a marketing perspective, they need to re-brand and remove Seiko from their name.
Like it or not, the name Seiko carries with it feeling of a lesser brand and that cannot be erased from some minds.

Look up some Seiko history, especially in the 1960s and the Swiss chronometer competitions, and you might change your mind.
Old 2 October 2021, 10:39 PM   #33
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Look up some Seiko history, especially in the 1960s and the Swiss chronometer competitions, and you might change your mind.
I agree. Not questioning their quality, but in the US market, their history has been of an inexpensive department store watch.

My opinion is regarding perception of the brand by the masses. It is a question of marketing, and is just my opinion and observation
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 10:53 PM   #34
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Something for Seiko to be very proud of. Although the Swiss competitions stopped shortly thereafter.

Current generation mass produced Swiss movements (e.g. Rolex 3235, Omega 8800) are regulated to near spring drive levels of accuracy without the need for a quartz circuit. It's however fascinating how the Spring Drive works, combining mechanical finesse with an quartz/integrated controller and electromagnetic brake.

As for the name? Horological history and marketing goes a long way. The masses recognise PP, Rolex, Omega and it's taken a decade for people to focus upon an Omega as 'in house' rather than 'yet another ETA movement brand'. I don't think Grand Seiko should lose it's name. They already have Credor - how many people in the street have even heard of it?

Perhaps with marketing and time? Their after service and brand recognition outside of Japan is still rather limited. For now, Grand Seiko appeals to us WIS who actually own one.
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 11:02 PM   #35
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Something for Seiko to be very proud of. Although the Swiss competitions stopped shortly thereafter.
As I understand it, the Swiss competitions were stopped because in the end the only Swiss movements that could beat Seiko's mechanical was Omega quartz. When they restarted, they were only open to Swiss watch companies.

To read https://www.plus9time.com/seiko-the-...er-competition

To watch https://youtu.be/ayUT5WfkHrA
Old 2 October 2021, 11:30 PM   #36
pandrew6l
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post

It is this kind of market feeling that GS is still affordable , when compared to Rolex. Maybe it is time to get what you want , before more people move to GS.
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:37 AM   #37
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I don't blame you for moving away from Rolex. What's good a Rolex or beautiful girl or fast car when you can't have them. Enjoy your GS in good health
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:14 PM   #38
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastu View Post
I like others have moved away from Rolex although I still love my pieces. Hello GS., My Latest addition SBGY007. A true stunner that rivals the finest from PP to Lange. When GS expands its consumer base from the collector to the followers and wanna be's prices will rise and availability will decrease. Just my 2 cents.

Catch them while you can.
Grand Seikos are very good, excellent and perhaps the best value/quality for the price. However comparing it to PP or Lange is like comparing Floyd Mayweather (pound for pound arguably best in the world) against Mike Tyson. You can argue all you want but put them both in the ring and see who gets knocked out. That is GS vs Lange or PP. They are not in the same cost category and not in the same league. GS can come close sometimes on dial and case, but definitely not on movement finishing at least at the below $10k price point.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 02:12 AM   #39
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post
Personally I feel that GS hand, dial, and movement finishing are far superior to Rolex. Rolex bracelets are undeniably superior. As for the spring drive I think it’s an amazing movement and far more innovative than anything out of Rolex in the last 4-5 decades. If you really love watches it’s hard not to fall for that smooth seconds hand.
You hit that nail right square on the head.

My SBGA413 blows Rolex away in finish quality, and the movement is so unique.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 02:39 AM   #40
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Glad OP has found something they prefer. I like all watches and brands but seeing these types of threads leads me to believe all watch companies must be in love with Rolex at the moment. A rising tide lifts all and Rolex is doing the vast majority of the pull imo.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 02:46 AM   #41
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko is cool, they make great watches. I don’t see them ever catching the demand like Rolex, PP, AP or Vacheron, but glad you found something you enjoy.

Seiko will always battle the name. You can buy their watches for $1,000, or $20,000. The average watch buyer won’t be able to differentiate between the two Seiko brands, and that will continue to impact their growth and prevent them from reaching the hype levels like the others have. I think it’s a good thing personally, GS is amazing, and i hope they remain relatively available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote