The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2021, 11:03 AM   #1
Dayve
"TRF" Member

Watch: the road....
How does Tudor compare to Omega

I like a couple watches from each brand, just wondering if they are comparable brands?

Heritage Black Bay vs. Seamaster Railmaster.
Dayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:25 AM   #2
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Excellent arguments could be presented for both. It really depends on what's important to you as they have different strengths and weaknesses. Which do you like better? If you're not sure, wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:33 AM   #3
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Omega is in another class anyway you want to look at it. Movements, build quality, bracelets, history, capability and innovation. Omega is much more expensive as well.

Tudor is a great watch I think for the money. On par with Breitling overall. Both brands use 3rd party and in house movements actually from each other. I think Breitlings quality is a wee better, but most are large and not everyone likes them

Where as Tudor has better sizing for most people. Tudor and Breitling are great brands and like them both very much.

But not in the same class as Omega. Actually having owned many from Omega and Rolex, my money is spent on Omega. I don't do hype, resale or herd following. I want the best most capable watch I can wear everyday in water, sand, vibrations, impacts and extremely high resistance to magnetism and keeping flawless time, That's a Omega, thats the only brand I buy now after 40 years of wearing watches.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 12:42 PM   #4
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

I put omega above Tudor, but not by a lot. I probably put Tudor above Breitling.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 12:57 PM   #5
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I put omega before Tudor
Old 14 September 2021, 02:32 PM   #6
ml91
"TRF" Member

Tudor doesn’t compare to Omega
ml91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 02:56 PM   #7
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Frequent opinion is that Omega > Tudor, but I disagree. I just can't get behind the design language of Omega.

I prefer my Tudor BB58 over any of the Omega Seamaster options (diver 300m, planet ocean, etc.). I used to own the Blue Seamaster Diver, the most current ceramic wave-dial diver. Hated the bracelet. Had to wear it on rubber. Watch was also a little on the thick side and I found the bezel and its font just a tad gaudy. Great quality and very tanky watch though. When I got a blue BB58, I found it superior in every single aspect from wearability, to aesthetic, to bracelet, even the movement (70 hrs, just as accurate). The blue Omega went bye-bye very quickly.

I find myself far more interested in many of the Tudor offerings. The Tudor GMT, Pelagos, even the Tudor Chrono (especially the older discontinued Big Block and its variants with the Valjoux 7750). Meanwhile, from Omega, the only watch that appeals to me is the Speedmaster, but even then I hesitate because of the bracelet. It seems Omega hasn't gotten the formulate right for their bracelet.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Gixnic
"TRF" Member

I currently own a current SMP300 blue and a blue bb58. Both excellent watches with Omega winning on movement and overall bling. If the bracelet tapered and less thicker, it would be the perfect watch.
The bb58 is more subdued, the bracelet fits absolutely perfect on my wrist, it’s surprisingly more accurate than the SMP, and the 70 hours is a big bunus. It is however, a bit too small. It would be the perfect watch if the size was 41mm.
Still deciding if I’m going to sell the bb58 and buy a Speedmaster hesalite 1861 or keep it. Decisions, decisions.
Note:
I had the BB 41mm and I sold it immediately because it was just too damn thick.
Gixnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 03:30 PM   #9
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Yes, they are comparable. Don't know much about either of your two models. Just get them both and give it 6 months to decide which you prefer. Maybe you'll love both equally!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 05:33 PM   #10
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

On the two above I like more the BB58 if this is the exact model in the Tudor line you are referring two.

I will not enter in a versus between brands.

You should try both and see who sings for you.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 08:28 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think both are great brands and it is a little like comparing apples and oranges in design language and branding. In the chrono world I prefer the 1861 or 3861 to the Black Bay Chrono. In the dive world, I prefer the Black Bay 41 to the standard Seamaster. Not the NTTD as it is great but comes in at 9k. Many options from both brands work so well for me though. In my collecting the head to head of Tudor to Omega very seldom comes up.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:16 PM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Buy what you like. Don't be bothered by unimportant brand position pissing contests. No reason to complicate the hobby w/ unnecessary baggage.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 02:00 AM   #13
Dayve
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input guys. It looks like the Black Bay 58 has a different movement vs. the Black Bay, seems like an upgrade, but I like the look of the regular BB better. I would love to get a 007 Omega, would be my first choice, but a little more than I want to spend right now. Is it worth the money or just $3000 mark up for the 007 logo?
Old 15 September 2021, 04:39 AM   #14
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

I also recently contemplated this and decided I’m more of an Omega guy than Tudor.

With Tudor, all of the charm is manufactured. (Gilt dial, aluminum bezels, riveted bracelet, etc). Essentially all faux vintage which I personally feel is kind of tacky.

With Omega, you’re getting original designs, truly superior movements, all with a nice to swallow MSRP. (And a discount if you’re lucky).
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:57 AM   #15
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. It looks like the Black Bay 58 has a different movement vs. the Black Bay, seems like an upgrade, but I like the look of the regular BB better. I would love to get a 007 Omega, would be my first choice, but a little more than I want to spend right now. Is it worth the money or just $3000 mark up for the 007 logo?
In general there is no comparison in terms of quality, finishing and movement.
Omega is in a different league.

Anyway, the new Bond is quite expensive when you compare to the regular SMP references. On the other side it is a very nice piece.

I thought you were interested in a Railmaster not in a 007.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #16
Dayve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Frequent opinion is that Omega > Tudor, but I disagree. I just can't get behind the design language of Omega.

I prefer my Tudor BB58 over any of the Omega Seamaster options (diver 300m, planet ocean, etc.). I used to own the Blue Seamaster Diver, the most current ceramic wave-dial diver. Hated the bracelet. Had to wear it on rubber. Watch was also a little on the thick side and I found the bezel and its font just a tad gaudy. Great quality and very tanky watch though. When I got a blue BB58, I found it superior in every single aspect from wearability, to aesthetic, to bracelet, even the movement (70 hrs, just as accurate). The blue Omega went bye-bye very quickly.

I find myself far more interested in many of the Tudor offerings. The Tudor GMT, Pelagos, even the Tudor Chrono (especially the older discontinued Big Block and its variants with the Valjoux 7750). Meanwhile, from Omega, the only watch that appeals to me is the Speedmaster, but even then I hesitate because of the bracelet. It seems Omega hasn't gotten the formulate right for their bracelet.
Which variation did you get?
Old 15 September 2021, 05:28 AM   #17
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I have both and consider the Omega to be a class above the Tudor. Tudors tend to be more utilitarian, and I don't mean that as a negative. Omega is more in the realm of Rolex. More upscale in the luxury department in my opinion. The Omega just "feels" like a more expensive watch. Both brands are terrific in their own ways.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:00 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Omega has a long history, but it went out of business and has been made by Swatch since the 80's.

Tudor has a shorter history, but a good one, and it's always been made by Rolex.
Old 15 September 2021, 06:44 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

While ‘brand’ is hard to measure I think by most any measurements, Omega wins as a brand. At least for now.

Whether the watches are more fashionable…much more discretionary there. I would say on average I’ve been enjoying Diet Rolexes’…I mean Tudor releases more than Omega.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:49 AM   #20
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I have both and consider the Omega to be a class above the Tudor. Tudors tend to be more utilitarian, and I don't mean that as a negative. Omega is more in the realm of Rolex. More upscale in the luxury department in my opinion. The Omega just "feels" like a more expensive watch. Both brands are terrific in their own ways.

Not entirely clear what you say. Rolex sports models are also very utilitarian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 09:32 AM   #21
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Omega has a long history, but it went out of business and has been made by Swatch since the 80's.

Tudor has a shorter history, but a good one, and it's always been made by Rolex.

Omega went out of business? That's a a novel interpretation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 09:37 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
Not entirely clear what you say. Rolex sports models are also very utilitarian

Well compare the Tudor GMT to the Rolex GMT for example. Both are GMT watches with blue/red bezels, red 24 hr hand, jumping hour feature

But look at the difference in execution. The Tudor is pure tool watch. No unnecessary bling, or as I said earlier utilitarian - and by utilitarian I mean serving a purpose without unnecessary decoration. This is what I love about Tudor, great tool watches, less show.

The Rolex on the other hand goes with the jubilee bracelet, polished center links, shiny ceramic bezel. So although it serves the same function as the Tudor, it does so in a much more showier, decorative fashion. More jewelry than tool.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 09:59 AM   #23
Beo3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I have two Tudors (A BB with the ETA movement and a 1926 ETA movement also) along with an Omega SMP, an Aqua Terra and a vintage Seamaster.

I love all equally, but must put the Omegas in a higher class than the Tudors.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 11:50 AM   #24
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Well compare the Tudor GMT to the Rolex GMT for example. Both are GMT watches with blue/red bezels, red 24 hr hand, jumping hour feature

But look at the difference in execution. The Tudor is pure tool watch. No unnecessary bling, or as I said earlier utilitarian - and by utilitarian I mean serving a purpose without unnecessary decoration. This is what I love about Tudor, great tool watches, less show.

The Rolex on the other hand goes with the jubilee bracelet, polished center links, shiny ceramic bezel. So although it serves the same function as the Tudor, it does so in a much more showier, decorative fashion. More jewelry than tool.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

Indeed, there are some nuances. Regardless, Rolex sports models are mostly designed to be utilitarian. Look at the sub: case as simple as it gets. No beveling, sharp edges, etc. it is so by design

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:36 PM   #25
Twisted Vicar
"TRF" Member

I think they are definitely comparable.

I own nine Omegas and four Tudors, and don't judge one over the other.
Twisted Vicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 02:39 AM   #26
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
How does Tudor compare to Omega

That black bay ceramic looks pretty cool when compared to the omega ceramic offerings

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 07:48 PM   #27
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Tudor, in my opinion, is a Rolex pretender. For that, and many other reasons, I prefer Omega.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 01:57 AM   #28
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
Tudor, in my opinion, is a Rolex pretender. For that, and many other reasons, I prefer Omega.
Have you ever been on WUS Rolex forum? Please purchase and wear a sharkmesh if you do
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 02:10 AM   #29
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post

Not a very fair opinion, in my humble opinion.

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 04:46 AM   #30
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Omega is closer to Rolex than Tudor is to Omega.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote