The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2021, 11:40 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Great visit with DavidSW today

Had a nice conversation with David in person this evening, among other things.

We talked a bit about inventory - he's sitting on 20+ BLNR's. I asked him the type of person buying at today's grey prices, and he said it's not the uber wealthy who don't care about money - it's more the people that are frustrated at the process and have waited long enough for the watch that they've been trying to get for the last 1-2-3 years. I can attest to this, as a friend of mine is ready to pull the trigger on a $20k watch because he just cannot get the watch anywhere else, and he is not a "rich" guy.

As for business model, I asked if he's a volume dealer, and he says not really - he's willing to sit on a watch for 2-3 weeks to get the number he wants vs. simply moving a ton of watches at $1,000 profit, unlike other dealers we know (the YouTube guys that were big around here for awhile come to mind).

As for rarity...what rarity? People come to him all the time talking about how Rolexes are "rare" - we both laughed at that one. I think his inventory alone speaks for itself on that matter.

In any case, David is a great guy who's willing to talk not just about watches, but the business side of things as well.
Old 28 September 2021, 11:47 AM   #2
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
David is as friendly as he is candid.

Thanks for sharing!
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 12:06 PM   #3
Daryl

David is a Great guy , We sat together in the same table in one of the WiSCon few years ago. A real gentleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 12:24 PM   #4
Mifune
Banned

Ive seen some inventory sit for much longer than that OP.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 12:29 PM   #5
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 12:47 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Sweet!

Let him know we’re just breaking walnuts and we know he’s a businessman doing a good service.

I’ll be sure to visit this winter. Tell him to let me in so I don’t wait outside like a stooge. I’ll bring bagels.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 07:46 PM   #7
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
he's willing to sit on a watch for 2-3 weeks to get the number he wants vs. simply moving a ton of watches at $1,000 profit, unlike other dealers we know (the YouTube guys that were big around here for awhile come to mind).
Makes sense when he's the #1 in the business and when he sets the price, everyone else follows.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 07:53 PM   #8
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I have not (yet) had a transaction with him but I have communicated with him and I agree that he is a nice, sharp guy.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
He is the best done lots of deals with him every deal just gets better. Wish I lived closer would love to see his store and bs a while
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 08:10 PM   #10
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I have spoken with David numerous times over the years, but my dealings have always been with Daniel(ippon20)..Super great and friendly guy and met him once as well. Come to think of it, its been a while since I bought something from them, I think I am due!!
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 08:14 PM   #11
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had a nice conversation with David in person this evening, among other things.

We talked a bit about inventory - he's sitting on 20+ BLNR's. I asked him the type of person buying at today's grey prices, and he said it's not the uber wealthy who don't care about money - it's more the people that are frustrated at the process and have waited long enough for the watch that they've been trying to get for the last 1-2-3 years. I can attest to this, as a friend of mine is ready to pull the trigger on a $20k watch because he just cannot get the watch anywhere else, and he is not a "rich" guy.

As for business model, I asked if he's a volume dealer, and he says not really - he's willing to sit on a watch for 2-3 weeks to get the number he wants vs. simply moving a ton of watches at $1,000 profit, unlike other dealers we know (the YouTube guys that were big around here for awhile come to mind).

As for rarity...what rarity? People come to him all the time talking about how Rolexes are "rare" - we both laughed at that one. I think his inventory alone speaks for itself on that matter.

In any case, David is a great guy who's willing to talk not just about watches, but the business side of things as well.
DavidSW, like many grey dealers, hoards Rolexes to sell them at highly inflated prices to people desperate to get their hands on one and yet unable to because of people hoarding them to sell at inflated prices. What a great guy he is.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 08:17 PM   #12
Time4aRolex
"TRF" Member

I had my first transaction with David earlier this year. Sold an Omega Seamaster. Was a seamless interaction.

Good experience.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
Time4aRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 08:22 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
He’s got quite the store doesn’t he Jesse. If I had to guess, he also owns his McLaren outright
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 08:46 PM   #14
alllexandru

Don't blame the player, if I had the money to go grey I would :)

I'm on the forums long enough to know Dawid way before all this craziness to come in, reading all nice transactions he did with buyers and sellers, it was good then it is good now.
Everyone is running a business, as long is legit and trusty I see no problem.

Thanks for sharing!
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 09:32 PM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
David is my "go to" Trusted Seller and I have a long relationship with him. I like the candid comment mentioned earlier about him because he is a straight shooter on pricing and availability. Nothing personal from David just business and great customer service. One day I will make it to Orlando and stop by and see the store and meet him in person. I look forward to doing it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 10:00 PM   #16
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
DavidSW, like many grey dealers, hoards Rolexes to sell them at highly inflated prices to people desperate to get their hands on one and yet unable to because of people hoarding them to sell at inflated prices. What a great guy he is.
You can't have it both ways.

When the Rolex "market" is down, people flock to the greys and buy at well below MSRP. I bought my RG DD40 from David a few years back at a greater discount than anyone else could have offered (AD included). You could get any watch you wanted back then at well below cost without ever having to step into an AD, all because the grey market was there.

Didn't hear people complaining about David and others then...now all of a sudden they're "evil". Ok.

Law of Supply / Demand - people only like it when they're on the right side of things. I've sold at a premium to him, and I've bought at a discount from him.

Still cannot believe people flock to this forum to complain about arbitrage...
Old 28 September 2021, 10:19 PM   #17
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your problem with him is easily fixed: don’t buy a watch from him.

I have and it was an easy and safe transaction. He provides a service that not one person is required to use. Many choose to because he provides safety, convenience and knowledge. And he needs to make a living, too. If he didn’t get reward for risk, he’d just be working for someone else. Get a paycheck with no risk and very limited reward: trade the time you have left on earth for the paycheck.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 10:20 PM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I have spoken with David numerous times over the years, but my dealings have always been with Daniel(ippon20)..Super great and friendly guy and met him once as well. Come to think of it, its been a while since I bought something from them, I think I am due!!

Dan is on his own now Nicholas
Old 28 September 2021, 11:37 PM   #19
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Yes, David is a great guy, I have known him for years. He is a professional and respectful person; which is more then can be said about some posters on this thread.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 11:39 PM   #20
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
PS Jesse, tell David he owes me money…

( He doesn’t but I keep trying! )
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 11:41 PM   #21
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
PS Jesse, tell David he owes me money…

( He doesn’t but I keep trying! )
Paul, I think it's the other way around - we all know you owe EVERYONE money!
Old 28 September 2021, 11:54 PM   #22
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

When the Rolex "market" is down, people flock to the greys and buy at well below MSRP. I bought my RG DD40 from David a few years back at a greater discount than anyone else could have offered (AD included). You could get any watch you wanted back then at well below cost without ever having to step into an AD, all because the grey market was there.

Didn't hear people complaining about David and others then...now all of a sudden they're "evil". Ok.

Law of Supply / Demand - people only like it when they're on the right side of things. I've sold at a premium to him, and I've bought at a discount from him.

Very good reminder Jp. Perhaps many on the forum weren’t around when the prices weren’t inflated. I remember a few years back when I got started in this hobby how happy I was to find out about businesses like DavidSW to be able to confidently buy second hand watches at a discount. Bought my 14060m from him at about 40% off of msrp. Ahh those were the days!

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:44 AM   #23
SeeDweller

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I have not (yet) had a transaction with him but I have communicated with him and I agree that he is a nice, sharp guy.

He is, indeed, a sharp guy and a very candid one at that!!

My first interaction with him was to get advice about getting an Explorer2, 16570-3186. He had one for sale, and I was trying to decide whether I should buy it from him, or a different one that had become available - and the other one was a slightly nicer package, for the sane price.
After our 10 minutes on the phone, he advised me to buy it from the other dealer because it really was a better deal for me! (And no… It wasn’t because he was sick of talking to me!). I was struck with how genuinely caring he was.

About 6 mo later, I bought two other items from him directly, and I have only positive feedback for this guy!!

Now, I’m in the midst of trying to decide which watches to sell, to make some room for new acquisitions, and I very well may call him directly to sell, rather than list them individually. (Still trying to make that decision!).

None of us like to see these prices so crazy high, when we just want to get the watch that we love, to wear. But it is what it is!
I don’t hold grudges against the dealer.

'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 03:11 AM   #24
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

You do bring up good points. I'd be curious for comparison the average inventory figures for BLNRs and similar for example when priced at lower levels (<$9k). Twenty is a massive number of BLNRs for any single dealer, and tells me to prices are not set at market equilibrium. If they were more of those watches would be moving and not sitting. The only explanation is they seem to be under the Bitcoin philosophy that these will only go up and up. Seems like some of the resellers are sitting on an in the money call, that they aren't executing that they risk passing expiration date. I hope it works out for them.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 03:48 AM   #25
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Chances are those 20+ BLNRS are new, unworn....

Meaning ADs truly arent worried about flippers. They simply want to sell watches. They don't care who they are selling to.
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 03:49 AM   #26
SeeDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
Chances are those 20+ BLNRS are new, unworn....

Meaning ADs truly arent worried about flippers. They simply want to sell watches. They don't care who they are selling to.

And that, is the first comment in this thread… That I really want to see addressed:
And that, is the question that I really want to ask David:

“From where did you get these watches?

Old 29 September 2021, 03:53 AM   #27
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDweller View Post
And that, is the first comment in this thread… That I really want to see addressed:
And that, is the question that I really want to ask David:

“From where did you get these watches?

I flat out asked him that.

"Are most of these from AD's?"

Nope. Most come from guys like me, or friends of his. The whole "he gets them from an AD's backdoor" seems to be a false narrative.
Old 29 September 2021, 03:58 AM   #28
SeeDweller

Quote:
I flat out asked him that.

"Are most of these from AD's?"

Nope. Most come from guys like me, or friends of his. The whole "he gets them from an AD's backdoor" seems to be a false narrative.

That’s very interesting!
And what that means, is that “other guys” are buying them from AD‘s, knowing they can sell them to David easily.
And I suspect that some of these are repeat customers to David. And that’s where the story gets complicated….

I repeat, I’m not putting David down, at all!! I really like the guy, and I admire his business savvy.
But somewhere in this system, there are AD‘s repeatedly selling to people, knowing that they’re getting flipped…. And somebody’s palms are getting greased.

Old 29 September 2021, 03:58 AM   #29
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

David is the best and his inventory reflects that. Almost everything is sold complete and like new and they are quick and responsive. Too many purchases from them over the years to count.
Old 29 September 2021, 04:06 AM   #30
bullies
"TRF" Member

Another satisfied customer here (for about a decade). All through email, though would love to make it to see him in person one day.
Glad you had a great visit
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote