The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 September 2021, 04:11 AM   #31
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Very good reminder Jp. Perhaps many on the forum weren’t around when the prices weren’t inflated. I remember a few years back when I got started in this hobby how happy I was to find out about businesses like DavidSW to be able to confidently buy second hand watches at a discount. Bought my 14060m from him at about 40% off of msrp. Ahh those were the days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's always good for us old-timers to bring back the "those were the days" views!

I think sometimes people forget (or like you said, don't know) what it was like just a few short years back.
Old 29 September 2021, 04:17 AM   #32
SeeDweller

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
It's always good for us old-timers to bring back the "those were the days" views!

I think sometimes people forgot (or like you said, didn't know) what it was like just a few short years back.
And there are wine stories like that too!

“ I bought the 1982 Pichon Lalande pre-arrival… It was $14.50!” (that’s a true story…)

Oh yeah… Those were the old days!!

'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:22 AM   #33
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Had a nice conversation with David in person this evening, among other things.

We talked a bit about inventory - he's sitting on 20+ BLNR's. I asked him the type of person buying at today's grey prices, and he said it's not the uber wealthy who don't care about money - it's more the people that are frustrated at the process and have waited long enough for the watch that they've been trying to get for the last 1-2-3 years. I can attest to this, as a friend of mine is ready to pull the trigger on a $20k watch because he just cannot get the watch anywhere else, and he is not a "rich" guy.

As for business model, I asked if he's a volume dealer, and he says not really - he's willing to sit on a watch for 2-3 weeks to get the number he wants vs. simply moving a ton of watches at $1,000 profit, unlike other dealers we know (the YouTube guys that were big around here for awhile come to mind).

As for rarity...what rarity? People come to him all the time talking about how Rolexes are "rare" - we both laughed at that one. I think his inventory alone speaks for itself on that matter.

In any case, David is a great guy who's willing to talk not just about watches, but the business side of things as well.
All the Grey's are trying to hoard as many GMT's, Subs, and Daytona's as they can for the upcoming Holiday season.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:34 AM   #34
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If I had 2x to 3x more money than I have I’d happily pay 2x to 3x msrp :-)

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:26 AM   #35
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy996 View Post
David is the best and his inventory reflects that. Almost everything is sold complete and like new and they are quick and responsive. Too many purchases from them over the years to count.
Certainly great customer service.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 06:05 AM   #36
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
DavidSW, like many grey dealers, hoards Rolexes to sell them at highly inflated prices to people desperate to get their hands on one and yet unable to because of people hoarding them to sell at inflated prices. What a great guy he is.
NAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:32 AM   #37
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
All the Grey's are trying to hoard as many GMT's, Subs, and Daytona's as they can for the upcoming Holiday season.

Perpetuate the false scarcity narrative …

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:39 AM   #38
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
I flat out asked him that.

"Are most of these from AD's?"

Nope. Most come from guys like me, or friends of his. The whole "he gets them from an AD's backdoor" seems to be a false narrative.

His “friends” get them from ADs and immediately flip to him for a small profit from which he marks up to an even bigger profit. It’s as close to the “back door” as you can get. He probably does have 1 or 2 relationships with ADs I’d imagine. I know a good friend of mine who is a “major” grey dealer on TRF has a good relationship with my AD. When I went to collect my Pepsi he was on his way out with boxes upon boxes.

He’s probably a nice guy for sure but let’s not act like he doesn’t have Ferrari payments to make. He’s in this business to suck the blood out of the hobby while it’s hot. This is probably the easiest his job has ever been.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:39 PM   #39
Xichan
"TRF" Member

David is the man. Guy is no BS, comes with fair offers on trades, clearly has built a strong reputation on this forum. Nothing but positive experiences with him for me.
Xichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:43 PM   #40
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
David has always given me all the watch buying experience i want and need with no BS, for years and years, flawlessly
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:02 PM   #41
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:

Nope. Most come from guys like me, or friends of his. The whole "he gets them from an AD's backdoor" seems to be a false narrative.
I wouldn’t expect him to be 100% truthful to any random customer walking in and asking very revealing questions such as this.

I’m confident he has some relationships with ADs and deals directly.
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:57 PM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Old 29 September 2021, 11:27 PM   #43
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
His “friends” get them from ADs and immediately flip to him for a small profit from which he marks up to an even bigger profit. It’s as close to the “back door” as you can get. He probably does have 1 or 2 relationships with ADs I’d imagine. I know a good friend of mine who is a “major” grey dealer on TRF has a good relationship with my AD. When I went to collect my Pepsi he was on his way out with boxes upon boxes.

He’s probably a nice guy for sure but let’s not act like he doesn’t have Ferrari payments to make. He’s in this business to suck the blood out of the hobby while it’s hot. This is probably the easiest his job has ever been.

Yeah, so what he has Ferrari payments? It is called being very good at business. These are luxury watches that he (as you put it) “hoards and sells at high profit margins” not life essentials. David does not sell air, or water or medicine. You don’t like his prices? Find better ones or don’t buy a Rolex; simple.

And for those of you that say “he hoards watches right before the holiday season”
Yeah, probably, so do wrapping paper sellers, and video game sellers, and about a thousand other products that will be in high demand during the holidays, it’s called capitalism. I can not understand why someone would express discontent towards David because he is a successful businessman of a luxury product; must be jealousy is the only thing I can think of. Upset that Rolexes are hard to get and demanding an outrageously high price on the Gray market? Yeah, me too, but I sure can’t dislike someone because they are running a successful business. DavidSW is a legal business, not a not-for profit charity.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:35 PM   #44
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I’ve purchased 2 or 3 watches from David over the years. Always a good and easy transaction. I haven’t bought a grey watch since the insanely inflated prices started a few years ago. I don’t like the prices, I don’t buy them at those prices. It’s soooooooo easy. David sold me an SD4K for $7800 when then retailed for $10,800 pre tax. But most complaining now only saw a Rolex on tiktok within the last few years and are salty that 1,000,000,000 other people saw the same video and had the same idea. YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY A ROLEX. Lol
Old 29 September 2021, 11:41 PM   #45
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post

he had ferraris back when most watches were being sold at big discounts by greys and no one on instagram cared for watches. he's been around forever and is extremely established. let's not act like he only made it because he marks up hyped pieces these past 3 years when he was selling steel pieces for 15% off and gold pieces for like 30% off (much more than ADs would give). he's not like a lot of these youtube dealers who will disappear if the bubble ever pops. shame to see a lot of disrespect for dealers that have been providing great service for decades
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:56 PM   #46
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
he had ferraris back when most watches were being sold at big discounts by greys and no one on instagram cared for watches. he's been around forever and is extremely established. let's not act like he only made it because he marks up hyped pieces these past 3 years when he was selling steel pieces for 15% off and gold pieces for like 30% off (much more than ADs would give). he's not like a lot of these youtube dealers who will disappear if the bubble ever pops. shame to see a lot of disrespect for dealers that have been providing great service for decades
Well said, and yes it is a shame.
Old 30 September 2021, 12:06 AM   #47
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I wonder, did he pay, MRSP for his Prancing Horse?

...and is he on a waiting list for his 2022 812 Competizione A?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:07 AM   #48
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Apropos of nothing in particular,
.............................................I notice there's an 116506 for sale for on W/F at a staggering £126,000.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:27 AM   #49
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
I bought my first Rolex from one of his Sales Associates. I don't think I had any direct dealings with him, but I am grateful for his service. I had no issues with the sale whatsoever and have absolutely loved my watch.

Thumbs up from me.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 12:47 AM   #50
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

I’ve bought and sold a few watches with him and it was always a great transaction. Hope to visit his shop in person someday soon.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:26 PM   #51
favre12rodgers
Banned

Quote:
You can't have it both ways.

When the Rolex "market" is down, people flock to the greys and buy at well below MSRP. I bought my RG DD40 from David a few years back at a greater discount than anyone else could have offered (AD included). You could get any watch you wanted back then at well below cost without ever having to step into an AD, all because the grey market was there.

Didn't hear people complaining about David and others then...now all of a sudden they're "evil". Ok.

Law of Supply / Demand - people only like it when they're on the right side of things. I've sold at a premium to him, and I've bought at a discount from him.

Still cannot believe people flock to this forum to complain about arbitrage...

I mean, you can't have it both ways, either.

Grays are grays.....no such thing as good ones and bad ones. They are all the same. He's not doing anything differently than the Timepiece Gentleman or anyone else on Youtube, etc. They all are contributing to the inflation. Duh, they make more profit that way.....I'd be doing the same if that were my business.

I don't have an issue with the Rolex market now...I can afford it either way, but don't act like only some grays are the problem. They all are part of the problem (regardless of how nice they were to you in person or whether they sold you a watch at a discount when the market was bad.....which has no relevance).
favre12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:31 PM   #52
favre12rodgers
Banned

Quote:

LOL, I am sure he is going to tell some random guy he is talking to for the first time his tricks of the trade and where he sources his watches from. Come on, bro.

favre12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 01:21 AM   #53
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre12rodgers View Post

Grays are grays.....no such thing as good ones and bad ones. They are all the same. He's not doing anything differently than the Timepiece Gentleman or anyone else on Youtube, etc. They all are contributing to the inflation. Duh, they make more profit that way.....I'd be doing the same if that were my business.

I don't have an issue with the Rolex market now...I can afford it either way, but don't act like only some grays are the problem. They all are part of the problem (regardless of how nice they were to you in person or whether they sold you a watch at a discount when the market was bad.....which has no relevance).
I can’t argue with your opinion Grays are the problem, at least part of the problem. I personally don’t think so but that’s my opinion. As for being different, I can’t say yes or no, my interactions with David have been extremely courteous and professional, so have my dealing with Tony (Just Rolexes) and Patrick (OCTokex guy), all of them have always been extremely courteous, fair, and go out of their way to make you a happy customer, so he may be no different then the rest of them; but TIMEPIECE GENTLEMAN!?!? You tell me you feel better/safer dealing with that guy then David!? No, me thinks definitely not.
Old 3 October 2021, 09:19 PM   #54
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:

To say that they're all the same is like saying every AD is the same or that every retailer in any market is identical - that's absurd. Customer service speaks for itself and if you haven't dealt with anyone in the grey market, then you wouldn't know / understand.

I don't have a problem with the market but won't make crazy "I'm rich and can afford it either way" statements while also bashing the free market or those taking advantage of it.

How a retailer treats you both in good and bad times absolutely has relevance, and if you deal with most of the Trusted Sellers here, you'd realize that it does in fact make a difference in who you deal with in the grey market.

But again, you don't care because you can afford it either way, right?
Old 3 October 2021, 10:52 PM   #55
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
As for rarity...what rarity? People come to him all the time talking about how Rolexes are "rare" - we both laughed at that one.
Made me smile There are just a lot more buyers in the market. Some buy for enjoyment and some buy for a quick profit. The name of the game, whenever there is money to be made
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 11:59 PM   #56
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL, I am sure he is going to tell some random guy he is talking to for the first time his tricks of the trade and where he sources his watches from. Come on, bro.
I met David a couple of weeks ago… and we had a candid conversation about the market and his perspective on the price elasticity of demand of the 116500. He seems very transparent and genuine.

And, it’s common knowledge that new/unworn watches in the secondary market are sourced from customers who flipped them or other dealers who purchased from customers who flipped them.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 01:55 AM   #57
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
To say that they're all the same is like saying every AD is the same or that every retailer in any market is identical - that's absurd. Customer service speaks for itself and if you haven't dealt with anyone in the grey market, then you wouldn't know / understand.

I don't have a problem with the market but won't make crazy "I'm rich and can afford it either way" statements while also bashing the free market or those taking advantage of it.

How a retailer treats you both in good and bad times absolutely has relevance, and if you deal with most of the Trusted Sellers here, you'd realize that it does in fact make a difference in who you deal with in the grey market.

But again, you don't care because you can afford it either way, right?

Well said Jesse

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 04:39 AM   #58
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
I mean people talk about grays selling watches below MSRP in the past and I have witnessed it, but who cares what it was like back then. It’s not like they weren’t making profits even selling it below MSRP. It just means they were getting those watches even cheaper. Don’t make it sound like they were the Robin Hoods back in the day of discounts.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 05:43 AM   #59
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Great visit with DavidSW today

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
DavidSW, like many grey dealers, hoards Rolexes to sell them at highly inflated prices to people desperate to get their hands on one and yet unable to because of people hoarding them to sell at inflated prices. What a great guy he is.

Indeed one persons hero is another’s nemesis

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 07:49 AM   #60
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
I mean people talk about grays selling watches below MSRP in the past and I have witnessed it, but who cares what it was like back then. It’s not like they weren’t making profits even selling it below MSRP. It just means they were getting those watches even cheaper. Don’t make it sound like they were the Robin Hoods back in the day of discounts.
my point is people hate greys now because of premiums but if you search posts from 2017 and before, everyone told people to go grey instead of ADs. now it's flipped and greys are the devil because suddenly it's more expensive that way. just shows a lot of people are selfish and only care about what benefits them today because most of these new members would flood to greys if they had better deals than ADs
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote