The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 October 2021, 04:52 AM   #91
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I guess we're getting off-topic, but I can't believe that owners of multiple nice watches are buying gray watches these days at 2x-3x MSRP. I am still very interested in watches, but am resigned to sit on the sidelines until normalcy returns. I haven't visited an AD in 2 1/2 years, and won't consider paying almost as much for a SS Daytona as I did for a platinum one 5 years ago. Do I love watches? I do. Do I come to TRF far too often? I do. Will I be buying a $100k 5711 or a $40k white Daytona? NFW.

Just like I'd buy a bottle of Pappy, but not for $1,000.

Grays add liquidity to the market, making it easy to buy or sell. Of course, they take as large a cut as they can get away with, like any capitalist.
Not really off topic at all, and your strategy of waiting until the watch you want becomes available at MSRP is certainly understandable. I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully we will all be able to do that soon.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 01:51 PM   #92
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I guess we're getting off-topic, but I can't believe that owners of multiple nice watches are buying gray watches these days at 2x-3x MSRP. I am still very interested in watches, but am resigned to sit on the sidelines until normalcy returns. I haven't visited an AD in 2 1/2 years, and won't consider paying almost as much for a SS Daytona as I did for a platinum one 5 years ago. Do I love watches? I do. Do I come to TRF far too often? I do. Will I be buying a $100k 5711 or a $40k white Daytona? NFW.

Just like I'd buy a bottle of Pappy, but not for $1,000.

Grays add liquidity to the market, making it easy to buy or sell. Of course, they take as large a cut as they can get away with, like any capitalist.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but pappy is going for nearly 2k for the 15 year at this point smh

Buy as many as you can at 1000!
Old 7 October 2021, 02:27 PM   #93
favre12rodgers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
To say that they're all the same is like saying every AD is the same or that every retailer in any market is identical - that's absurd. Customer service speaks for itself and if you haven't dealt with anyone in the grey market, then you wouldn't know / understand.

I don't have a problem with the market but won't make crazy "I'm rich and can afford it either way" statements while also bashing the free market or those taking advantage of it.

How a retailer treats you both in good and bad times absolutely has relevance, and if you deal with most of the Trusted Sellers here, you'd realize that it does in fact make a difference in who you deal with in the grey market.

But again, you don't care because you can afford it either way, right?
I’ve bought from grays on here. You miss the point. It doesn’t matter if you like the customer service at one dealer or another, the price you pay is still the price. You guys way overrate “customer service”.

David’s great customer service isn’t going to get you a Hulk or Daytona any cheaper.

Also, appreciate the shot you took in the last sentence about me being able to afford gray pricing. Not sure why you take issue with me saying that. Plus, it’s pretty rich coming from someone who literally posts a new thread whenever he takes a trip to the supermarket (big eye roll there).
favre12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 08:31 PM   #94
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by favre12rodgers View Post
I’ve bought from grays on here. You miss the point. It doesn’t matter if you like the customer service at one dealer or another, the price you pay is still the price. You guys way overrate “customer service”.

David’s great customer service isn’t going to get you a Hulk or Daytona any cheaper.

Also, appreciate the shot you took in the last sentence about me being able to afford gray pricing. Not sure why you take issue with me saying that. Plus, it’s pretty rich coming from someone who literally posts a new thread whenever he takes a trip to the supermarket (big eye roll there).
Sharing photos in the Open Discussion forum because photography is a big hobby of mine is the same as saying you can afford any watch, whether at or way above msrp?

How does that even make sense to compare those two things?

If you don't like it, stop looking at my threads.

And yes, customer service is very important to many here. Why shouldn't it be??
Old 21 October 2021, 01:41 AM   #95
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
David is great, always a prompt reply, quick easy transactions, and overnight shipping.

Can't ask for more.

I travel a bunch to Orlando and haven't stopped by his store yet. But maybe that will change soon since I'm going to Disney this weekend!
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:38 AM   #96
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I wonder, did he pay, MRSP for his Prancing Horse?

...and is he on a waiting list for his 2022 812 Competizione A?
I'm guessing someone else might have a touch of the green eyed monster they referenced in the latest BR atrocity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Maybe if he'd just had a new Ferrari, or Corvette, or 10th cruise of the year to flex......

Are we all THAT sensitive on here we can't 'handle' someone a bit 'out of the ordinary'?

Was there any of the green eyed monster, in any of the responses?

That is all.
That is all.
Old 21 October 2021, 11:32 AM   #97
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
I'm guessing someone else might have a touch of the green eyed monster they referenced in the latest BR atrocity:

That is all.

I agree with you Eric. Lots of that spewing in between the lines.
That is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:14 PM   #98
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post

That is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I agree with you Eric. Lots of that spewing in between the lines.
That is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I refuse to enter a battle of wits....with unarmed men.

That IS all.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:02 PM   #99
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by favre12rodgers View Post

Yeah, sure. You are right about one thing, appreciating good customer service from David or any other Gray will not get you a hulk at MSRP; right now the only thing that I know of that will is getting one from an AD. But not willing to pay more for good customer service? Yeah, a lot of people do including myself. I have done several deals with Tony (Justrolexes). Could I have saved/made a little more money if I had shopped around? I’m sure I could have, but Tony has always been fair, responsive, up front and extremely professional. I have never done business with David but I understand he offers the same level of customer service. I, and a lot of other people, are willing to pay a few extra dollars for that level of service. If you are one that will spend hours/days calling around and searching the internet to squeeze every last penny out of a purchase or sale, go ahead, that’s your prerogative, but I wish you luck the first time you have any issue with a less then professional dealer. For a lot of us, the peace of mind and enjoyable experience of dealing with Tony, David, Patrick, and the other trusted sellers on here is more then worth the slightly higher price we might pay.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:22 PM   #100
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Yeah, sure. You are right about one thing, appreciating good customer service from David or any other Gray will not get you a hulk at MSRP; right now the only thing that I know of that will is getting one from an AD. But not willing to pay more for good customer service? Yeah, a lot of people do including myself. I have done several deals with Tony (Justrolexes). Could I have saved/made a little more money if I had shopped around? I’m sure I could have, but Tony has always been fair, responsive, up front and extremely professional. I have never done business with David but I understand he offers the same level of customer service. I, and a lot of other people, are willing to pay a few extra dollars for that level of service. If you are one that will spend hours/days calling around and searching the internet to squeeze every last penny out of a purchase or sale, go ahead, that’s your prerogative, but I wish you luck the first time you have any issue with a less then professional dealer. For a lot of us, the peace of mind and enjoyable experience of dealing with Tony, David, Patrick, and the other trusted sellers on here is more then worth the slightly higher price we might pay.
Sums it up for me. Well said.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:47 PM   #101
Becweb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I'll say this - I've come to the grey market to buy in the past when they were at a discount, and I've come to the grey market to sell now that things are at a premium as well.

I have yet to buy anything over MSRP and don't intend to. I'm content with the collection, but I've also gotten a few from the AD recently that have either stayed (DJ41) or gone (OP41) - and I'll continue to work with my AD to buy any watches that I truly want.
Then you should sell your watches at the price you bought them for at MSRP, or even less since they're used, not at market price, if you're not being from greys.
Else you become a hypocrite. And nothing wrong with that btw.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:53 PM   #102
Becweb
Banned

Greys will always be here as a second option. If all watches were available both at ADs and at greys for the same price, no one would go grey obviously. The greys' appeal was their prices. Literally. Please don't give me customer service BS. And this goes for every single product on planet earth.
Of course there is market manipulation being done by greys to inflate prices, it's not a secret. It is up to the customers to decide what they want to do with their money but again plenty of fish in the sea. It is a luxury watch we are talking about, not a Picasso painting.
I've never bought grey and I have lost money in selling some watches and i'm fine with that - they never were rare, same as all Rolexes produced today.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote