The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 September 2021, 09:55 AM   #1
Ba Ba
"TRF" Member

We live in a crazy world

Agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ba Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I just don’t get it, people are paying super car prices for mopeds.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:56 AM   #3
fuigo
"TRF" Member

5940 is so nice. Very understated and undervalued.

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送
fuigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 10:07 AM   #4
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuigo View Post
5940 is so nice. Very understated and undervalued.

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送
Agreed. And incredibly thin and comfortable to wear.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Ba Ba
"TRF" Member

I am not saying aquanaut is not nice. It’s just not perpetually nice if compare to the grand complications

Ba Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:58 PM   #6
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It's simply the trend of luxury products merging more closely with active lifestyles over those of opulence and decadence.

There are sneakers that are valued at equal to or much more than a fine pair of bespoke Cleverly or LOBB shoes.

Urban wear outfits that are valued more than finely tailed suits...

Modern luxury is more about go anywhere do anything with no effort or stress. Exclusivity of brand through limited access and retention of value.

In other words, the products need to be able to "keep up" with constant action and adventure, but still carry the gravitas to separate themselves from the plebeians.

The Aquanaut says "Let's GOOOOO" much more loudly than a stodgy perpetual calendar does. Sure collectors and enthusiasts enjoy those, but that's why you see sports watches valuations going to the Moon!

Now, time will tell if things reverse themselves, but for the time being...this what you can expect to see
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:45 PM   #7
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's simply the trend of luxury products merging more closely with active lifestyles over those of opulence and decadence.

There are sneakers that are valued at equal to or much more than a fine pair of bespoke Cleverly or LOBB shoes.

Modern luxury is more about go anywhere do anything with no effort or stress. Exclusivity of brand through limited access and retention of value.

In other words, the products need to be able to "keep up" with constant action and adventure, but still carry the gravitas to separate themselves from the plebeians.

The Aquanaut says "Let's GOOOOO" much more loudly than a stodgy perpetual calendar does. Sure collectors and enthusiasts enjoy those, but that's why you see sports watches valuations going to the Moon!

Now, time will tell if things reverse themselves, but for the time being...this what you can expect to see
Well said. For us, pick what your hearts speak to you
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 07:04 PM   #8
CoyoteCreekCir
"TRF" Member

Not really when you understand how things work in Asia

To understand why people paid $700,000 for a bottle of whisky or a simple watch, you have to understand how things work in Asia, especially Hong Kong, China, Vietnam…etc. Let’s just say that I need a permit to build a 2 billion dollars skyscraper. I know that I need to grease some doors to get the permit faster, you know…skip the line. So how do you skip the line at Disneyland? You pay for a VIP pass. How do you bribe a city official? I will give you my Patek Tiffany Nautilus 40th Anniversary or a bottle of Macallan 72 Lalique, you or your family member will put it on an auction. I will attend the auction and bid to buy the watch or the whisky bottle back. So you receive money from selling your “personal items” at an auction. No auditor will trace the ownership of a watch or a bottle of whisky. And if the auditor gives you a really hard time then he wants to be bribed too. At this point, it gets easier.
CoyoteCreekCir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 07:19 PM   #9
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

And that is even a high price for a 5940g black dial. I bought one at an auction for USD35k hammer not that long ago. Beautiful watch.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:16 PM   #10
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Hong Kong dollars you can divide by around 8 for U.K. prices but I agree, prices are crazy but you just have to look at the stuff for sale at the Monaco boat show, a customer there that fancied an Aquanaut wouldn’t flinch at paying grey prices.

Old 30 September 2021, 12:27 AM   #11
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I used to think it was ridiculous, until I got an 5167.

Fact is, I wear it more than anything I have because it's so luxury but easy going. Class but young. If it gets more wrist time than any of the other watches, why shouldn't it be valued higher than "normal"
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:56 AM   #12
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I used to think it was ridiculous, until I got an 5167.

Fact is, I wear it more than anything I have because it's so luxury but easy going. Class but young. If it gets more wrist time than any of the other watches, why shouldn't it be valued higher than "normal"
That does not justify a 3 hander with a rubber strap being priced where it is. I love all my PP's but that does not mean they are truly worth what the market says they are at this time. I guess technically they are "worth" whatever someone will pay for them but when you look at what you can get alternatively in terms of intricacy and complications, it really does not make much sense. Hype.
V25V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:01 AM   #13
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Agreed it is. Money seems to be growing on trees. Things becoming overhyped or overpriced is not a new phenomena though. Look at whiskey, as mentioned above, cars, real estate, etc.
The gap between the have's and have nots seems to be growing as well however.
And worst of all, our beloved hobby is becoming more and more expensive.
I've noticed another of my hobbies become more difficult as well; golf. And it's not that it's becoming more expensive per say, but I can never get tee times any more....
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:10 AM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The FP Journe CB is also priced in the same range as the QP at grey market. Maybe people (demand) are just more interested in simpler watches due to aesthetics / balance / uncluttered look?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:29 AM   #15
Master_Grogu
Banned

You need to understand that for those who pay these prices, it's most likely they don't care about the money.

Would you spend 100$ for something you like, if the original price was 40$, but you also had 10 millions on your cash account ?

Similarly, buying overpriced grey prices doesn't pain those who earned money from their families or other ventures that never allowed them to acquire a sense of worth.

People exist out there, more and more, with increasingly vast fortunes, and their only fun is to show off on social networks.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:52 AM   #16
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:

well said.
msg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #17
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
You need to understand that for those who pay these prices, it's most likely they don't care about the money.

Would you spend 100$ for something you like, if the original price was 40$, but you also had 10 millions on your cash account ?

Similarly, buying overpriced grey prices doesn't pain those who earned money from their families or other ventures that never allowed them to acquire a sense of worth.

People exist out there, more and more, with increasingly vast fortunes, and their only fun is to show off on social networks.
There is this and then there are people that looking at these things as a quick flip for profit. It has turned into a commodity. You buy it for inflated x price and sell it for an even more inflated y price. I am not sure how many people that buy these at those price points are actual end users
Old 30 September 2021, 02:06 AM   #18
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Coming from left field, you could also change it's generally change of athestics.

In the 90's, more buttons on a radio system made someone go wow, that's a really fancy and sophisticated system. Now iPhone is one big blank screen, Tesla audio system is one big blank screen when closed. People are currently digging the minimalist UI as it were.

@ichiran, I think it goes a step further to say people want the watch clearly identified with a certian brand, and the cluttered dials with circle cases are hard to identify from far away, it could be IWC, it could be Brietling, it could also be PP. But aqua or nautalus, very clear what it is. RM takes this to an extreme as well.

And of course, PQ on AP RO is suddenly super hot just like any other RO? Same for dual time? Must be the distinctive RO case itself to signal the brand.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:23 AM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I don't accept the concept of this watch is "overpriced" or that watch is a "crazy" amount of money. It's neither overpriced nor crazy if the watch sells. That means, by definition, that the watch was priced properly for the current market.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 04:46 AM   #20
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Let's not kid ourselves here. When we spend that much money on a watch, 70% is true appreciation for the watch, 30% is status signalling haha. If people want to use a watch to tell time, Seiko Quartz is more accurate than any mechanical watch. You don't need a Patek Philippe 5711/5167 to tell the god damn time and date.

The Nautilus and Aquanaut is literally a trophy wife that you appreciate but also proud about, whether its because you could acquire it at retail, or wealthy enough to buy it on the secondary market. Why do we have to beat around the bush?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:54 AM   #21
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC, 16710B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Let's not kid ourselves here. When we spend that much money on a watch, 70% is true appreciation for the watch, 30% is status signalling haha. If people want to use a watch to tell time, Seiko Quartz is more accurate than any mechanical watch. You don't need a Patek Philippe 5711/5167 to tell the god damn time and date.

The Nautilus and Aquanaut is literally a trophy wife that you appreciate but also proud about, whether its because you could acquire it at retail, or wealthy enough to buy it on the secondary market. Why do we have to beat around the bush?
agree with everything here
rpl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:54 AM   #22
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Beautifully articulated.
Old 30 September 2021, 06:22 AM   #23
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Why not make this into a poll: at the same price, which would you rather own, 5167 or 5940?
The 5167 has better resale, lower maintenance cost and higher wrist recognition. Does anyone have a friend who would be impressed that they own a 5940? Complicated wristwatches are a liability, a bill that will come due at some inconvenient time in the future.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 07:43 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Looks normal given the circumstances. Am not sure what you expect given all the free currency from central banks. Simply said, cash is trash.

As for a kids watch versus formal wear timepiece, the kids are winning. I just hope PP magazine can make the move to the hip-hop lifestyle.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:09 AM   #25
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post

I only have a few people I know who are into watches and we all buy what we like and we discuss about our “trophies” among ourselves.

The rest of my friends won’t be able to tell if I am wearing a G-Shock or FPJ. And they do not care neither. I also do not post anything on social media except a few pictures here since I think people here would truly appreciate them.

I guess I can be an oddball.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:07 PM   #26
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
That does not justify a 3 hander with a rubber strap being priced where it is. I love all my PP's but that does not mean they are truly worth what the market says they are at this time. I guess technically they are "worth" whatever someone will pay for them but when you look at what you can get alternatively in terms of intricacy and complications, it really does not make much sense. Hype.
As opposed to a 2 handed "jumbo" asking for 2x that amount?
Or a green nautilus selling for astronomical numbers.

Fact is, most people don't even know how much our watches are worth. And most people don't even care what we are wearing. The first thing someone might say about a 5167 is that it's a really cool design. The first thing someone might say about a grand complication inside a TV box is... is that a watch your dad gave you?

You could give me that exact watch, and I literally wouldn't wear it. yeah you talk about a "3 handed watch" giving little value compared to a grand complication. how much value does a watch give you when you never wear it?
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:13 PM   #27
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

It's called the mimic effect. People want what other people want. This catches on like wildfire. Once a desired watch is acquired, the person feels as if they've joined an exclusive club. Repeat this indefinitely and all of a sudden it makes sense why prices are where they are.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:35 PM   #28
bob101
"TRF" Member

Have you seen the price of Richard Mille sports watches these days? Aquanaut seems like a bargain in comparison lol!

Steel sports are hot and Patek don’t make many so they are in demand. Whether it’s worth the market price is a personal choice but these days chances getting one at retail is slim to none unless you’re spending huge amounts. Some people with plenty of cash have to have one and will pay whatever it takes. There is also the speculation around all steel Patek being discontinued sooner or later of course.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:08 PM   #29
mooty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCreekCir View Post
To understand why people paid $700,000 for a bottle of whisky or a simple watch, you have to understand how things work in Asia, especially Hong Kong, China, Vietnam…etc. Let’s just say that I need a permit to build a 2 billion dollars skyscraper. I know that I need to grease some doors to get the permit faster, you know…skip the line. So how do you skip the line at Disneyland? You pay for a VIP pass. How do you bribe a city official? I will give you my Patek Tiffany Nautilus 40th Anniversary or a bottle of Macallan 72 Lalique, you or your family member will put it on an auction. I will attend the auction and bid to buy the watch or the whisky bottle back. So you receive money from selling your “personal items” at an auction. No auditor will trace the ownership of a watch or a bottle of whisky. And if the auditor gives you a really hard time then he wants to be bribed too. At this point, it gets easier.
BINGO...
and the 40th anniversary nautilus wont get you that permit for 2B skyscraper. maybe 10 40th anniversary nautilus and a 6300G thrown in.... we even have a line on our book for that. "evaporation rate"
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:20 PM   #30
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

We live in a crazy world

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
As opposed to a 2 handed "jumbo" asking for 2x that amount?
Or a green nautilus selling for astronomical numbers.

Fact is, most people don't even know how much our watches are worth. And most people don't even care what we are wearing. The first thing someone might say about a 5167 is that it's a really cool design. The first thing someone might say about a grand complication inside a TV box is... is that a watch your dad gave you?

You could give me that exact watch, and I literally wouldn't wear it. yeah you talk about a "3 handed watch" giving little value compared to a grand complication. how much value does a watch give you when you never wear it?

Where did I give you the impression I was only talking about a 5167? Any of these hyped watches are not worth where the market currently is. Again, something is worth what someone will pay for it but the value is just not there compared to what you can get for the money. I have several of these 3 handers in question, so I do appreciate them for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is online now   Reply With Quote