The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 October 2021, 04:49 PM   #1
slm9555
"TRF" Member

Seeking opinions on selling my submariner and buying omegas

I’ve been wearing a black submariner 116610ln since October 2013 as my one and only watch. I love the watch, but I have been getting the itch for something new. Specifically, a watch that is a bit more dressy and less sporty. I find the aqua terra 41 green or blue dial to fit the bill.

I’m toying with the idea of selling my submariner while prices are very high and picking up the aqua terra and a smp300 in black or white to fill the void of the submariner. I could get these two brand mew watches and even possibly some cash in exchange for my submariner, which is tempting to a certain degree.

Do you think I should consider this path or just save up and buy the omegas in due course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slm9555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 05:03 PM   #2
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

I did traded up to sell sub c and bought Ed White 321. Love it. However, in your case, I'd rather keep the sub and save up for the pre-owned AquarTerra and SMP300.
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 08:18 PM   #3
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I sold three Rolex watches and purchased a 300M that I wear 24/7. Socked the cash into savings. I'm very happy to be off the Rolex train.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seamaster.jpg (97.5 KB, 538 views)
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 08:39 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The return to Rolex after your sell will be a difficult and costly one should you decide in the future that is the way you want to go. Neither the Seamaster or the AT are difficult watches to source nor are they typically expensive in comparison to similar models from Rolex. If you want one, the AT I assume, if you are keeping a diver in the Rolex should be a nice combination. I would not sell the Rolex. I would add the Omega and have a nice two watch collection with representation from the Crown and Omega.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 11:23 PM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Keep the Rolex and add one omega
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 11:50 PM   #6
Moka-Tiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: The 1 on my wrist
As others have said, and I will say, you should keep the Rolex.
Next step is to start looking a used Aqua Terra. It will be more affordable than a new one. I buy used almost exclusively and have never regetted doing that. Just make sure that you trust and know from whom you are buying a used watch.
Moka-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 02:29 AM   #7
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
I'd keep the submariner. As much I love Omegas, I think subs are gonna get harder to get especially the discontinued ones. You might regret it a year or two down the road.

You can get good deals on used ATs especially from Japan. I am suprised more people don't talk about that. Good luck with your decision.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 04:33 AM   #8
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Like most of the advice so far, I'd keep the Submariner and save up for the aqua terra. Over the years I've contemplated selling each of my Rolex but decided against and am glad I didn't.......
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 06:15 AM   #9
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I am a big fan of both brands. I currently have a Sub 41, a 300SMp and a speedy. They are both great brands and each have advantages. What it comes down to is what gives you joy. Are you still in love with the Sub? if not, trade it. If so, Omega's are at a bit lower price point and there are still some discounts to be had. Keep the sub and get an AT. Win Win

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:25 AM   #10
iaymnu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II/GMT2c
Seeking opinions on selling my submariner and buying omegas

I would not sell and Subs just to fund another watch. It’s an iconic watch and you will be regretting buy back one later down the road.

I let go too many in the past and keep smacking myself for selling and buying back at a higher price.

Omegas can be bought with nice discounts just save wait and buy.
iaymnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:43 AM   #11
greengold
Banned

so i started with omega, sold to rolex, sold back to omega now sold back to rolex..i wouldnt go back again. Every time I went Omega even tho the new SMP is great I just had a feeling I was missing something. Got the new no date and waiting for the call on OP41 green. Not loving idea of forking £400 for a Wolf winder but hey.
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:48 AM   #12
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

i would not sell your sub to fund the omega. I have sold so many Rolex watches i regret over the years, and i feel that selling the 116610ln would be disappointing once you own the others. Save up for the Omegas, and get them at a large discount from a grey dealer. Keep the Rolex.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:53 AM   #13
Emiliomcol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
As other has stated, keep the sub and save for the Omega, either the AT or SMP are fine watches but that can be easily obtained from an AD at a discount or get it used for even further discounts and you will have the best of both worlds. If you sell the sub sooner or later you will regret that and to get it back will be very difficult. Good luck with your decision !!!

Emiliomcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 10:27 AM   #14
DocChand
"TRF" Member

Probably an unpopular opinion but I’d say sell the Sub. Personally, I’m uncomfortable with a $16k (probably going to $20k) watch on my wrist. Also, money is money…I’d rather have an Omega on my wrist and bank the difference.

I have a Milgauss that I bought Grey last year. Bought it for about 15% over retail but if it gets discontinued next year and jumps in value, out it goes.
DocChand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 10:40 AM   #15
David5807
"TRF" Member

I would save up and buy both. Alternatively, sell the Sub and upgrade to something significantly nicer in the Omega catalog.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:12 AM   #16
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Given the time you've owned it, I'd question how many memories you've made with your sub that you'd be parting with if you sell and what value that has to you. I wouldn't own both a 300m and a Sub as ultimately one would sit. Just my $.02.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:51 AM   #17
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Trading a sub at peak value, sure ... but trading a one and only multi-year watch, no way.

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 12:23 PM   #18
slm9555
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your feedback. After considering everything I’ll keep the sub and add an aqua terra in the near future.

slm9555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 12:41 PM   #19
ducatiti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm9555 View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. After considering everything I’ll keep the sub and add an aqua terra in the near future.

I recently purchased an AT and 300m.. This one has been on my wrist 4-5 times a week. It's been 2 weeks since I've worn the AT :)

ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:21 AM   #20
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43
I sold my Submariner (114060) last year and added the PO 43.5 black and Speedmaster 3861. No regrets whatsoever. Perfect two watch combination, for me anyway. Do what makes you happy, we only go around once...
Texans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:42 AM   #21
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocChand View Post
Probably an unpopular opinion but I’d say sell the Sub. Personally, I’m uncomfortable with a $16k (probably going to $20k) watch on my wrist. Also, money is money…I’d rather have an Omega on my wrist and bank the difference.

I have a Milgauss that I bought Grey last year. Bought it for about 15% over retail but if it gets discontinued next year and jumps in value, out it goes.
I was the same dude hence sold my hulk and put on the seamaster..but every damn day i looked down at it..i wanted the rolex back.
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 06:39 AM   #22
Goin2drt
Banned

Honestly do what will make you happy. For me if I had to be a one watch guy and sell literally everything I had, I would keep my sub date. It is just a perfect everything watch.

I would try to ADD and not sell but if that can't happen then do what makes you happy. It is only a watch. If you make a choice you regret, go back. That simple.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:00 AM   #23
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
I sold three Rolex watches and purchased a 300M that I wear 24/7. Socked the cash into savings. I'm very happy to be off the Rolex train.
Really you'd rather be in cash right now? Don't let it sit too long.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:03 PM   #24
Golfguy77
"TRF" Member

I have the green AT you mentioned. Great all around watch. You won’t be disappointed purchasing one.
Golfguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 01:52 AM   #25
ericg
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubC/SMP 300
I did the same thing and sold my SubC and Batman recently and bought the white dial SMP on black rubber and never looked back
ericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 02:59 AM   #26
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendyBee View Post
I did traded up to sell sub c and bought Ed White 321. Love it. However, in your case, I'd rather keep the sub and save up for the pre-owned AquarTerra and SMP300.
Exactly what he said.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 04:51 AM   #27
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

I sold my sub for a SMP and cash. No regrets.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 10:23 AM   #28
outlaw468
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Omega
I sold a 116710 that I owned for approximately 9 years. I bought a brand new DJ41 and had cash left over for a second watch (GS). No regrets.
Old 12 October 2021, 01:38 PM   #29
ducatiti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw468 View Post
I sold a 116710 that I owned for approximately 9 years. I bought a brand new DJ41 and had cash left over for a second watch (GS). No regrets.
Did a similar thing which was a mortal sin in the Rolex forum, sold my GMT 16700 purchased new back in 1995, and purchased a DJ 41 on jubilee and fluted bezel.
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:42 PM   #30
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Don't sell your Submariner Date. Just add something else, even if it means you need to save up. Unless you need the money, selling a Rolex for another watch is almost never a good idea. We can compare Rolex to Omega head to head and I'd agree that the comparison is actually closer than many would think, but I can't help but feel you'll regret it in the future even if this Omega turns out to be your dream watch. Many years ago, I flipped a Milgauss for an Explorer which was then flipped for a Panerai that I no longer own.

I think the point I am trying to make is that when we flip we watches we tend to obtain new pieces we probably wouldn't otherwise. The process of saving and laying down a large amount for a piece adds an extra level of verification that doesn't exist when you flip. Flipping is just too easy and we all make mistakes.

Put the Submariner down for awhile and see how you feel about it. I bet you'll reconsider. Good luck regardless.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote