The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2021, 10:22 PM   #1
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

First incoming post but not excited?!

Have been waiting blue SkyD Blue dial for nearly two years and decided to go gray finally.

It arrived today but not as excited as I would expect. The SkyD blue is stunning but not sure if I paid premium and also pre-owned, it looks new though. Guess this is my first time to go gray but also the last time.

OCD? Like the experience in AD or what? I don't understand myself.... 😕

Anyone has the same feelings?
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:25 PM   #2
eman1200
"TRF" Member

Holup……you bought a watch and don’t even know if it’s new or used?
eman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:26 PM   #3
mjr2000
"TRF" Member

Sometimes the chase is the best part. But give it some time to grow on you and then you can always sell it and not lose anything worst case.
mjr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:27 PM   #4
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
Have been waiting blue SkyD Blue dial for nearly two years and decided to go gray finally.

It arrived today but not as excited as I would expect. The SkyD blue is stunning but not sure if I paid premium and also pre-owned, it looks new though. Guess this is my first time to go gray but also the last time.

OCD? Like the experience in AD or what? I don't understand myself.... 😕

Anyone has the same feelings?
I know that even if I had invested in Microsoft in 1982 and so today I was a billionaire I still would feel uncomfortable paying 25K for 14K watch. It wouldn’t sit well with me. Therefore I wouldn’t do it. But that’s nothing brother. Look at all the people that spend 90K on a 30K 5711 that should really sell retail at not a dime over 20K. So don’t feel bad. It’s a done deal now so enjoy it. It’s the best complication Rolex has so have fun with it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:28 PM   #5
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

That’s the issue with the current market, the long wait, the hype and the high prices people are willing to pay create this expectation that these things are going to be this amazing almost magical thing once we get them. And when we finally do, it’s just a watch, but nothing more, which is especially bitter when you pay gray prices.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:28 PM   #6
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
Of course I know it is pre-owned. I guess I thought I can accept the preowned watch but actually not. Haha.
Old 9 October 2021, 10:29 PM   #7
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr2000 View Post
Sometimes the chase is the best part. But give it some time to grow on you and then you can always sell it and not lose anything worst case.
True, thanks
Old 9 October 2021, 10:29 PM   #8
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I’m kind of confused. I get why you might feel that way but what’s making you feel that way?

After fawning over it in photos and videos do you not like it in the flesh? Is it just that the thrill of the chase is gone? Are you afraid you paid too much?

You’re the only one who can answer these questions …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:32 PM   #9
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I know that even if I had invested in Microsoft in 1982 and so today I was a billionaire I still would feel uncomfortable paying 25K for 14K watch. It wouldn’t sit well with me. Therefore I wouldn’t do it. But that’s nothing brother. Look at all the people that spend 90K on a 30K 5711 that should really sell retail at not a dime over 20K. So don’t feel bad. It’s a done deal now so enjoy it. It’s the best complication Rolex has so have fun with it.
Yes, agree. I like the Sky-Dweller very much and I have owned the RG OF. But I will not pay the premium to just get the blue dial, haha, would rather pay more the get another PM skydweller.
Old 9 October 2021, 10:34 PM   #10
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I get what you mean. It’s one of the reasons I wouldn’t even consider buying a Rolex at the moment.

Typically I’ve been able to go to my AD with a short list of what I’m interested in, try them all on side by side while talking about watches and drinking champagne before making my choice and having a little barter over the price.

Usually a pleasant experience where I am pressured, sure I’ve made the right choice and I feel that I got a bit of a deal (even if it’s same deal as everyone else).

Buying at grey prices would leave me feeling ripped off, whether that’s actually true or not.

But, you got the watch you want so just enjoy the product, which is the same, and forget the experience.
Old 9 October 2021, 10:35 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand the feelings associated with utilizing the Grey Market as all of my 14 Rolex watches have been purchased from our Trusted Sellers over the years. When I speak to fellow WIS and discuss the Grey Market it is just a lead in to a discussion that is partially about money and for some it is all about the money. The Sky-Dweller is a great watch and I have owned the Blue several times and currently own the SS White and Black dial versions. I paid Grey money for the Blue and sold the Blue for Grey money and have always done well. Nothing is getting cheaper and you obviously had the funds for the purchase so stop over thinking it. Enjoy a beautiful and hard to get watch that you now own and let the other stuff go. Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:35 PM   #12
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
That’s the issue with the current market, the long wait, the hype and the high prices people are willing to pay create this expectation that these things are going to be this amazing almost magical thing once we get them. And when we finally do, it’s just a watch, but nothing more, which is especially bitter when you pay gray prices.
Agree. I will be more "wise" now, although I still have 14 days to return it, I think I will keep it to remind myself to be patient and don't make such mistake again. Haha. I do like the SkyD blue very much though
Old 9 October 2021, 10:39 PM   #13
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Believing social media hype typically leads to bad decisions.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:43 PM   #14
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Thanks OrangeSport and 1William, likely making more sense to my feelings now. ��
Old 9 October 2021, 10:44 PM   #15
alllexandru

OP did you try it before going grey?
I don't understand if you like it or not, you like it but not for the premium you paid for it?
If you like it then move on, you paid , it's yours enjoy :)

Now on the new or used??? Do you know what seller told you?
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:51 PM   #16
harvey
"TRF" Member

…just put the watch on and share your pics. don’t over think it.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:56 PM   #17
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
OP did you try it before going grey?
I don't understand if you like it or not, you like it but not for the premium you paid for it?
If you like it then move on, you paid , it's yours enjoy :)

Now on the new or used??? Do you know what seller told you?
It is preowned and partially stickered, the watch is absolutely fine, just missing one link which I am sure the seller will send it back to me later, I am not that worry about it.

The watch itself has no issue at all, guess it is what Orange Sport said, like being at the AD and try it on and then decision making ( don't need drinks haha), seeing those stickers being removed in front of me etc....Anyway, just missed the old days and guess I will stay away from this hype. I understand this "norm" will last for a long time....

Of course I am still keeping my name on the so called wish list. When it comes I will pay for it, if not, then leave it.
Old 9 October 2021, 11:08 PM   #18
alllexandru

Quote:
Anyway, just missed the old days and guess I will stay away from this hype. I understand this "norm" will last for a long time....
We all miss the days....
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:08 PM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Easy to tell. if the warranty card was swiped by the AD previously and the warranty is running, the watch is a used watch by definition.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:09 PM   #20
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I think you may be feeling this way because even though you have come to terms in your mind by going gray, there’s a nagging feeling that you overpaid?

I think if someone truly wants the watch because they love it, then acceptance of paying market price is easier.

To pay gray only because it’s a hot piece, well, that could be tougher to reconcile in one’s mind.

Don’t let that nagging feeling drag you down. As played, give yourself some time to see if it goes away. If it doesn’t, get rid of it and get what you truly love.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:24 PM   #21
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

You feel like that because you pay premium for a 15k …. That’s what you can’t live with it … because if you we’re paying retail for a preowned you will be more than happy don’t you ? Sell it and loss like 2k or 3k
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:24 PM   #22
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Maybe it’s just because it’s early here, but I’m so confused.

Congratulations? Maybe? Too bad? Perhaps? Happy for you? Sorry to hear?

It’s a beautiful watch. Enjoy it. If it’s real and in great shape, who cares where it came from. The AD experience might be the most overrated experience out there. Getting the watch you want, when you want it, is a luxury you should enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:30 PM   #23
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Of course I know it is pre-owned. I guess I thought I can accept the preowned watch but actually not. Haha.
Sounds like it's really a question of "worn" vs. "unworn" (as it technically must be preowned).

Perhaps the lack of excitement is how anticlimactic it is to ultimately purchase from the source you could have purchased from any time over the past two years vs landing the "elusive" AD-sourced watch?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:34 PM   #24
fed_fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Not surprised since most folks buying watches today are just doing what social media tells them to
fed_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:44 PM   #25
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, agree. I like the Sky-Dweller very much and I have owned the RG OF. But I will not pay the premium to just get the blue dial, haha, would rather pay more the get another PM skydweller.
I'm confused. You said you will not pay a premium for the blue dial but I thought your first post said that's the one you bought gray?

In any case buyer's remorse is a bummer. Try to enjoy it, and if that proves impossible you should be able to sell it without too much trouble. Might end up paying a small "live and learn tax", but no big deal.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:51 PM   #26
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
it's a fantastic watch and i'm also contemplating to buy. congratulations!

rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:52 PM   #27
ks58
Banned

If no one bought from the gray market, there wouldn’t be one and there would be more at ADs but oh well
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:52 PM   #28
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
You buy a watch from an AD. You put on the new watch and walk out the door. Know what you have now? A pre owned watch.

You buy a brand new car, drive it off the lot, know what you have? A used car.

The premium you paid was for the time saved waiting one, two, three years for the watch. Make the most of the time you bought or pack it away a and hope you can sell and get your money back in a year or three.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 12:02 AM   #29
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Wear and enjoy. It's just money.
Grey or AD, watches are a great way to enjoy what would otherwise be sitting in a financial institution.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 12:05 AM   #30
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepchasing View Post
I think you may be feeling this way because even though you have come to terms in your mind by going gray, there’s a nagging feeling that you overpaid?

I think if someone truly wants the watch because they love it, then acceptance of paying market price is easier.

To pay gray only because it’s a hot piece, well, that could be tougher to reconcile in one’s mind.

Don’t let that nagging feeling drag you down. As played, give yourself some time to see if it goes away. If it doesn’t, get rid of it and get what you truly love.
So true. Thanks