The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

SLGA007 Grand Seiko or OP 41 blue

Just saw the Grand Seiko. Might be the most mesmerizing and beautiful watch dial I’ve ever seen!!

Did I make a mistake buying the OP41 Blue?

I can’t afford both, and only have a small 4 watch Rolex collection. Is it time to branch out to Grand Seiko?

Thoughts please

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 02:59 PM   #2
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black

Never seen the slga007 in person but the dial looks amazing in picture. I would say nicer dial on the GS, but inferior bracelet.
StillTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 03:22 PM   #3
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
You're always going to see something newer or nicer to temp you.
No mistake if you really like your OP.
If you're just buying Rolex because "Rolex" then maybe.

The 007 is a looker. But so are many other GS- take some time- don't rush in to your next purchase.
Old 11 October 2021, 08:28 PM   #4
bibbi
"TRF" Member

If you’re after art, craftsmanship - SLGA007 is the right choice.

Generally speaking GS is a brand to love “after” one has already had his share of Rolexes. I’d say it’s a more sublimé brand.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 08:49 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No mistake in the OP41. I think that it is just a different watch than the GS. Take some time, look at the GS some more and decide if it is enough to move the OP41 for it. If so, then do it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 09:21 PM   #6
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
No mistake in the OP41. I think that it is just a different watch than the GS. Take some time, look at the GS some more and decide if it is enough to move the OP41 for it. If so, then do it.
I agree, GS are incredible and the more time you spend with them the more you appreciate the quality and detail of the craftsmanship. The OP is what it is, It's simple and a Rolex which your are obviously a fan of. I like the DJ myself more than any other Rolex model. But I really appreciate the quality of the GS. I also like the GS bracelet, but may be in the minority here. Actually I find a few bracelets I like wearing much better than Rolex. As mentioned before. Take your time on your next purchase. Don't be afraid to try other brands. There is some nice stuff out there.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 09:26 PM   #7
DD58
"TRF" Member

Personal grand seiko I far above Rolex right now. When I first started this debilitating disease “watch collecting” I though Rolex was on the pedestal. That’s all I knew and heard of. Now 7 years In I can see what the differences really are.
Do I want a Rolex of course it’s still a dream to own a 216570 or the 226570. I got my wife a gs sbge269 and have that next to a jd41 I feel the gs is better finished more refined. That being said there is some down sides to it yes the bracelet is alittle lacking.
All in all if you love the gs don’t look back. I can tell you once my wife puts her gs in the safe I’m going to be steeling it for a few day!!
Oh and let me just add don’t buy into the Rolex hype. If you like Rolex for there history and what they have done for the horological community then go for it. Plus if you get a grand seiko when you do run into a watch nerd we know why you got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 01:11 AM   #8
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Both beautiful. Both not the easiest to obtain. The OP41 is a versatile daily wearer. I can’t see anyone being unhappy with it. The 3235 movement had also been very accurate in daily use.

Yes, the GS is limited, dial is beautiful and the Zaratsu is perhaps better case finishing than on Rolex. But so what? Buy and love the watch that appeals to you, not the one you didn’t get.

A 4 watch Rolex collection isn’t considered “small” by many people outside of these forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 10:48 PM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Branch out, look at different brands. I prefer the 007 over the OP with the exception of the bracelet. The OP is fine but there is just not pizazz to it IMO. GS nailed it with the SLGA007.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post

A 4 watch Rolex collection isn’t considered “small” by many people outside of these forums.
Thanks for the comments guys

This one in particular made me feel good

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 08:50 AM   #11
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraftman View Post
Just saw the Grand Seiko. Might be the most mesmerizing and beautiful watch dial I’ve ever seen!!

Did I make a mistake buying the OP41 Blue?

I can’t afford both, and only have a small 4 watch Rolex collection. Is it time to branch out to Grand Seiko?

Thoughts please
If you're questioning the decision, sounds like it might have been a mistake to buy the OP41, but only you can really answer that question.

The good news is that Rolexes are virtually bulletproof when it comes to flipping, and you often can make money if you decide to sell. The bad news is the 007 sold out almost immediately. Some of them will probably hit the secondary market at some point.

I agree about the dial on the 007. Probably the most stunning and interesting modern dial I've ever seen on any brand's watch.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote