The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 October 2021, 11:06 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Watch robberies in NYC

Hi all, sorry for not fun news but important to pass along. Always good to have common sense I know. Seems wise to be extra vigilant nowadays, especially with dining outdoors etc.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/11/suspec...police-in-nyc/
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:24 AM   #2
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Thank goodness no one was hurt but be careful out there and consider insurance as a peace of mind.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:28 AM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

manhattan isn't gonna be as safe or the same as pre pandemic for a while. just feels sketchy walking around even during the day time there now which is a huge shame because before this you could feel safe even at 2am on a tuesday
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Have they tried to take his watch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EF076996-F268-4F92-95C0-D77612409572.jpeg (17.0 KB, 877 views)
Old 12 October 2021, 11:30 AM   #5
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Yeah, you always want to apply common sense in big cities around the world. But since last year I stay away as much as I can. And only go where you can legally carry (so not New York).
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:43 AM   #6
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
manhattan isn't gonna be as safe or the same as pre pandemic for a while. just feels sketchy walking around even during the day time there now which is a huge shame because before this you could feel safe even at 2am on a tuesday
Agreed 1000%. Pre-pandemic, and police defunds, you were safe any time of night south of the 100’s. Now you get robbed on 5th or Park.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Ibtl.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:50 AM   #8
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
The effects of bail reform, welcome to "The New Wild West"
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:54 AM   #9
Cool Breeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
Agreed 1000%. Pre-pandemic, and police defunds, you were safe any time of night south of the 100’s. Now you get robbed on 5th or Park.
Exactly this.

If there is an armed robbery (let alone) this many, in these popular areas where everyone is, you aren't safe anywhere in the 5 boroughs.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:57 AM   #10
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Don’t dine outside and go get in uber once car is outside! don’t wait on sidewalk. anywhere big city USA
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 12:24 PM   #11
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Max is a fixture on 47th Street. A passionate and principled entrepreneur with an unrelenting commitment to customer service. Terrifying ordeal.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/11/nyc-je...ed-buddha-bar/
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 12:35 PM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I am returning to New York soon after a two year absence. My friends that live there tell me the most obvious difference is a lack of international tourists. Despite the above incidents(and keep in mind the NYPost thrives on sensationalism)there is not blood in the streets.
I will follow the same personal rules I have always followed. Don’t flash your jewelry or cash, stick to busier streets when walking, always be on the lookout for any weird behaviour you might notice. I love New York and can’t wait to see her again.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 12:45 PM   #13
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

People steal Tag Heuers??
Johnny Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 12:47 PM   #14
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I am returning to New York soon after a two year absence. My friends that live there tell me the most obvious difference is a lack of international tourists. Despite the above incidents(and keep in mind the NYPost thrives on sensationalism)there is not blood in the streets.
I will follow the same personal rules I have always followed. Don’t flash your jewelry or cash, stick to busier streets when walking, always be on the lookout for any weird behaviour you might notice. I love New York and can’t wait to see her again.

Agree re: NY post and love NY too but these things actually are happening and there is literally blood in the streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2021, 12:50 PM   #15
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Crystal View Post
People steal Tag Heuers??

That was the scariest part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2021, 01:05 PM   #16
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
people are getting robbed on 5th avenue at gun point in broad daylight. your personal rules are smart and something everyone should keep in mind anywhere, but things you didn't really have to think about in manhattan usually. other boroughs are obviously a different story and always required situational awareness
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 01:15 PM   #17
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
You always need to be alert and keep your head on a swivel.
Old 12 October 2021, 01:58 PM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Man that stinks. I use to walk around Manhattan hammered at all hours wearing my LVc 15400 etc

I was never at fancy clubs though. I never felt less than safe in Manhattan and I walked damn near every block south of 100 at some point.

Hate to say it but I’m glad the cop put a few rounds on them. These people should be treated the way they are treating others.
Old 12 October 2021, 02:23 PM   #19
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Seems like lots of cities Experiencing the same. Melrose in LA has become a haven for armed robbery. It’s getting pretty bad.
Old 12 October 2021, 05:58 PM   #20
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Yes, to this.
I NY

It's all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconveniences we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 06:06 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sad times we live in.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 07:51 PM   #22
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
1990’s NYC was sketchy hookers, drugs a few muggings, guardian angels.

It is heading to a new level let’s hope it tones down.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 12:41 AM   #23
ABrolex
"TRF" Member

Happening in LA too. Lot's of people out of work and no more free money from unemployment. Recipe for disaster, like another poster said be careful. Main reason I haven't worn my YG DD outside yet.
ABrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 12:55 AM   #24
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrolex View Post
Happening in LA too. Lot's of people out of work and no more free money from unemployment. Recipe for disaster, like another poster said be careful. Main reason I haven't worn my YG DD outside yet.
Let’s hope the tide turns. It is getting a bit worrisome. Desperation & hopelessness can be a very scary combo
Old 13 October 2021, 01:01 AM   #25
LexD
"TRF" Member

Reading the article(s) it becomes apparent-- the robbers are watching IG accounts and taking note of who / what / when / where. These are not just random muggings.
LexD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:21 AM   #26
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrolex View Post
Ditto for Chicago. Was just there and crime was all everyone was talking about. I don't see it ending anytime soon.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:22 AM   #27
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Meh, they will be out on no cash bail in the morning... the current policies and politicians there have turned a world class city into a wasteland. Decent, law abiding people can't go to dinner with a piece of jewelry anymore. Sounds more like a 3rd world country to me. And yes, we won't even go to Melrose in LA or surrounding areas any longer.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:32 AM   #28
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
Seems like lots of cities Experiencing the same. Melrose in LA has become a haven for armed robbery. It’s getting pretty bad.
Houston too. The cops just arrested around 20 people they think are the primary group doing these robberies. Several people killed, several more shot or beaten, all for watches and other jewelry. I’ve nearly stopped wearing my blue SkyD out of the house, you can buy an Apple Watch for less hassle than stealing mine, because that’s all you’re going to get from me these days.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:32 AM   #29
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexD View Post
Reading the article(s) it becomes apparent-- the robbers are watching IG accounts and taking note of who / what / when / where. These are not just random muggings.
Friend and I were just talking about this yesterday and I thought it was a great point. Criminals used to have to do real work to case their marks, now they just sit back comfy in their homes and turn on social media and get all the info they need with zero foot work and cost.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:41 AM   #30
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

NYC is sketchy now lol.....Although I admit, traffic is not like it use to be and thats nice.

edit:^ to this point, in the clubs. A lot of the women will be point women, they will dress up go to tables and see what guys have what. Then text their team outside and target them when they leave. A lot of it is inside jobs.

Social media is too slow, you need real time feeds.
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote