The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 October 2021, 01:09 AM   #1
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
To Refinish or Not Refinish a Rare Sub?

My friend just inherited a very low production "Swiss" only 14060 Sub from his dad. It's pretty beat up and likely has never been serviced.

He is going to send it to Rolex to have it serviced, but due to the scarcity of this model, (only made from 1998-1999), would you also have Rolex replace the bezel and insert and refinish the watch? Would that affect the value? or is it better to just have it serviced so it runs well and leave the blemishes? I don't know if he would ever sell it but just wondering which would best allow the watch to retain its value?

He hasn't sent the watch in yet for an estimate but I'm guessing it would take a fair amount to get it looking good.

Thoughts? Unfortunately this is the only photo he sent me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 65585368050__EAB2CB6E-C7A3-4F24-A98D-7A6B20E30EC8.jpeg (194.5 KB, 1094 views)

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:21 AM   #2
BobtheViking
"TRF" Member

If it was me, I'd send it to someone for a movement service and nothing else.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
BobtheViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:22 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobtheViking View Post

I agree.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:23 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is nothing wrong with a proper refinish during service and it never affects value, regardless of some naysayers views, excepting some extremely rare collector pieces.

A badly refinished job would affect initial value until corrected.

A 14060 is not a particularly rare watch and it is a stretch to say that the last runs with the Swiss dial would be any more valuable than any other. All Rolex models used Swiss dials during the changeover era.

Refinishing has become more personal in recent years with some vowing that they would never do such a thing. If it were mine I would have an RSC service done, along with a refinish, and begin it's life with me in the best condition possible, while keeping the original dial and hands.

If the bracelet is excessively loose I would send it to one of the very well respected bracelet shops such as Rolliworks in California.
Old 16 October 2021, 01:28 AM   #5
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’d keep the bezel, dial and hands and ask for a sympathetic polish
Old 16 October 2021, 01:31 AM   #6
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I agree.
Agree
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:33 AM   #7
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Please keep this in it’s original condition and only get the movement serviced.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:43 AM   #8
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

If you want to keep it all original, don’t ever send to an RSC. Try someone local.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:55 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
My friend just inherited a very low production "Swiss" only 14060 Sub from his dad. It's pretty beat up and likely has never been serviced.

He is going to send it to Rolex to have it serviced, but due to the scarcity of this model, (only made from 1998-1999), would you also have Rolex replace the bezel and insert and refinish the watch? Would that affect the value? or is it better to just have it serviced so it runs well and leave the blemishes? I don't know if he would ever sell it but just wondering which would best allow the watch to retain its value?

He hasn't sent the watch in yet for an estimate but I'm guessing it would take a fair amount to get it looking good.

Thoughts? Unfortunately this is the only photo he sent me.
Its hardly a rare watch and much like any 14060 or 14060M, and Swiss only dials ran FROM 1998 into 2000, it was only to mark the change from Tritium to luminover lume dials. And a good service and polish by the RSC would not effect its value whether Swiss, or Swiss Made bottom of dial, as for the bezel insert its just a around £40 insert like on most all 14060 or 14060M subs.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:57 AM   #10
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Quote:

I agree and would do just the same. A tritium dial 14060 is not rare by any means. The run I think was from 1990 up to 1996 or 1998. If it has never been serviced it probably has never been polished. Don’t replace the bezel, just service the movement. Don’t have Rolex service this watch because they will polish it and replace anything else they consider that has to be replaced regardless of your wishes. Don’t send neo vintage or vintage Rolex to Rolex for service.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:57 AM   #11
Oryz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A 14060 is not a particularly rare watch and it is a stretch to say that the last runs with the Swiss dial would be any more valuable than any other. All Rolex models used Swiss dials during the changeover era.
This was my initial thought; they're less common than T25 or Swiss Made dials, but I never got the impression that they were auction-house rare.

If it's a gift from a father, I don't think I'd ever really look to sell anyways unless in extreme financial straits. Thus, I think however he wants it is fine - I can see arguments for both getting it refinished to craft your own patina-story, or just adding to the one his father started for him.
Oryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 02:04 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
There are good reasons on both sides of the issue, but it is my personal belief that one should just let a watch age gracefully.

When I buy a used watch from a dealer, I know that it has been refinished, but that doesn't bother me, because that's just the way it goes.

But for my own watches, I prefer to not get them refinished and if I inherited a family member's watch, I would feel the same way.

It's a personal decision and it has nothing to do with value, as once a watch is mine, it's mine. It's not going anywhere, anyway.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 02:12 AM   #13
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Nice sub. Not rare, so clean it up and enjoy it. They will make it look like a brand new watch, fully serviced and under fresh new warranty.

We all fall into this trap, myself included, of thinking these are somehow magical and mystical relics and that it will somehow offend the gods if we touch these things.

I am going to pass along my watches to my boys after I depart. It is just a hunk of metal. The memories we had together and photographs, shared experiences, are what matter.

Clean it up and have it start over fresh for the second generation to use and enjoy and put their own scratches and life experiences on it.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 02:28 AM   #14
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
would you also have Rolex replace the bezel and insert and refinish the watch?
Nope, not on a watch that I inherited from my father. A good cleaning and full movement service is all that I would do.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:28 AM   #15
stockae92
"TRF" Member

don't refinish. thats your watch, your scratches, your history. :)

the only time I want to take a scratch out is its on the crystal and distract from reading the time.

but I am not the kind of guy that cries over a scratch. YMMV :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:34 AM   #16
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
I would first just have the watch cleaned (not polished for the moment!) and the movement serviced...cleaned, oiled, new gaskets and seals, regulation and pressure testing. Your friend can then later decide whether or not to spend the extra money and have the watch finished and returned to a pristine, like-new condition.
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:34 AM   #17
Anthony808
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Personal preference. I'd service the movement only because I like my watches looking like I wear them. I'm less concerned about resale value.
Anthony808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:36 AM   #18
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:

Good advice. I’d use a reputable Watchmaker with a Rolex parts account only and be very specific.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:42 AM   #19
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Just a strange thread IMO. Does value retention really matter?

If my dad gave me his watch it would be priceless. Under no circumstances would i ever sell it and the value of the watch would be my last thought.
Old 16 October 2021, 03:48 AM   #20
BobtheViking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
Just a strange thread IMO. Does value retention really matter?

If my dad gave me his watch it would be priceless. Under no circumstances would i ever sell it and the value of the watch would be my last thought.
My response had nothing to do with resale value.

Every part of that watch belonged to his father, why replace or polish that away?

Old 16 October 2021, 03:52 AM   #21
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
My response had nothing to do with resale value.

Every part of that watch belonged to his father, why replace or polish that away?

My comments had nothing to do with your post
Old 16 October 2021, 03:53 AM   #22
jerseydan31
"TRF" Member

Why is everyone affected by the stigma of the resale value? Polishing a Sub is nothing short of magnificent! Please look at LAWW or Rolliworks and the stuff that they've done...some of their pieces look better than factory!

Now if this piece is going to be used a selling fodder (or just to know that in the future it will be as good as cash) then by all means please do not polish. Leave it as is....
jerseydan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:55 AM   #23
gerry100
"TRF" Member

wash and wear
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:55 AM   #24
BobtheViking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
My comments had nothing to do with your post
Fair enough, you just assume when someone questions it you have resale value in mind. Like you say, it's not going anywhere

Old 16 October 2021, 04:13 AM   #25
rogerrabbit168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
wash and wear
agree
rogerrabbit168 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 04:13 AM   #26
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I would get it fully service, asking them to keep all original parts. This path ensures every part of the bracelet is disassembled, cleaned, sympathetically polished or brushed and reassembled with new pins, screws and loctite to ensure it is the best it can be.

I would get it done at RSC, where I have had excellent experience with numerous watches, because of certainty of fully to spec, warranty and provenance. Plus, you know everything is done with the latest Rolex approved lubricants and parts if required for repair (not for appearance).

This will cost you a bit more than local watchmaker, but IMO well worth it. Plus you will get a nice Rolex green faux-suede service pouch for your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 04:15 AM   #27
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydan31 View Post
Why is everyone affected by the stigma of the resale value? Polishing a Sub is nothing short of magnificent! Please look at LAWW or Rolliworks and the stuff that they've done...some of their pieces look better than factory!

Now if this piece is going to be used a selling fodder (or just to know that in the future it will be as good as cash) then by all means please do not polish. Leave it as is....

If that’s the case, then why do grey dealers polish all but the uber-rare watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 04:20 AM   #28
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Had the same question. Responses pretty much in line with what you see here. Either way the best advice is to have it sympathetically (keep the bits that are important, dial, hands, and insert) serviced and perhaps the crystal replaced, enjoy it for a while and think about the rest over time. Good luck to your friend on that beauty.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 04:44 AM   #29
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
We don't know the circumstances of the person that inherited the watch, if it came from a loved one or a distant relative (OK, you get the house, she get the cars and what's-his-name can have my old watch that doesn't run any more) and the financial position of the recipient. Most of us here can afford to keep a watch forever. He may need to make a house payment and get the kid some braces.

Just sayin'.

Realistically, if the new owner is primarily concerned with retaining future value, then he should just tuck it away somewhere and not risk wearing it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 05:27 AM   #30
karleone
"TRF" Member

Just a service and please make in writing that you don’t want the watch to be polished.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote