The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2021, 09:21 PM   #61
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
In 2015 I was able to try on the new JC Deep Blue DSSD but that’s not the same as living with it. I was concerned it might feel too heavy or large after wearing it for awhile. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable and awesome it is to wear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 October 2021, 10:29 PM   #62
ts3
"TRF" Member

For better:
- Patek 3700 in SS - such a lovely simple watch IRL. My biggest watch regret is hesitating when I had one on my wrist that was 36k full set with cork box and certificate years ago. Settled for 5711 blue some time later which I still love but is more in line with expectations.

For worse:
- 116500 white - like it in pics but IRL it feels a little like a caricature with its bling, ceramic bezel, sharp contrasts, and boat-shaped markers.
- Patek 5167A - left me unexcited when I tried it on years ago when you could get it below MSRP. Also wears larger than expected on my smallish wrists.
- Patek 5167R - like it ok in pics, but didn't like the rose gold / rubber combo IRL.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 11:30 PM   #63
fmc000
Banned

I remember being disappointed only twice when trying a watch at an AD:

* AP Royal Oak Chrono 39mm, very underwhelming in person;
* Rolex 116713 black, when you could actually find a watch to try and buy: I didn't like it at all on my wrist.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 11:40 PM   #64
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
For better:

116710LN (i.e. all black bezel GMT-Master II) - black ceramic bezel is very glossy, platinum inlaid numbers give a nice contrast. A very luxurious look, a lot better than stock photos. Looks good on my wrist.

For worse:

116710/126710BLNR (i.e. black blue bezel GMT-Master II) - not convinced the black and blue on the bezel go well together.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 12:35 AM   #65
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek360 View Post
YM two tone brown dial. Liked the watch and bought it to add a YM to my collection. Never expected to love it and wear it so often. Like that it doesn’t have the same hype, easy to wear and somewhat under the radar these days.
love the two tone YM 40....its my favorite summer time watch.....
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 02:41 AM   #66
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:11 AM   #67
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB66 View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's an awesome watch. What what were your issues with it?
Too top heavy, disproportionate bracelet (alas too wide and too less taper), the clasp is a league below Rolex and let's not forget to mention that very ugly and seemingly cheap dial.
I was very underwhelmed.
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:55 AM   #68
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
Just bought a Pelagos - the first time I saw it several years ago, I thought it was ugly. for the past week, Rolex and other brands have been on the bench as I appreciate the titanium tool brilliance of the Tudor.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 07:37 AM   #69
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Probably the DSSD.
Was surprised as to how good it felt when I tried it on. What a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 11:21 AM   #70
CB66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweinwerfer View Post
Too top heavy, disproportionate bracelet (alas too wide and too less taper), the clasp is a league below Rolex and let's not forget to mention that very ugly and seemingly cheap dial.
I was very underwhelmed.
Top heavy is a valid point even though I dont agree (thick but not top heavy). The bracelet is brilliant, I cannot agree with you on the dial. I was mesmerised by its modern design and unbeatable legibility from the first time they were released. It doesn't have to compete with Rolex because its half the price ( more likely a quarter of the price on the pre owned market). But hey, you are entitled to your view.
CB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 12:26 PM   #71
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
I got the Exp II as a ‘low profile’ travel watch when i bought the WG Daytona. My AD asked what else i was interested in and i thought of the exp II so he threw that in, but it has become one of my favourite frequent rotation watches.
I agree! I bought an Explorer II for the same reason and it has easily been my “go-to daily driver” since! Definitely an all around watch that has been easy to use with any outfit I’ve put on, even a suit! Has been a pleasant surprise for sure!

synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 12:33 PM   #72
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
For better: moonwatch I thought it was all hype but it really performed well, looked good and aged well

For worse: planet ocean 8500. I thought it looked really cool but it was too thick and ill proportioned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 12:39 PM   #73
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwath View Post
The DJ 41, I didn't think I'd want a DJ, but I now have 2.

Maybe the best argument I’ve seen for having two DJ’s. Very different looks. Well played, sir.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 04:46 PM   #74
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Day Date 18238 was a bit of a disappointment for me. After wearing a 16613 Bluesy for many years I just did not find the 18238 comfortable. Maybe I should have worn it more. I sold it after a couple of years, but only wearing it a handful of times. Funny thing is I still love the look of the Day Date. Oh well, still have the bluesy. Maybe I’ll try the Day Date again in the future, if prices calm down. :). Cheers
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote