The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2021, 04:00 AM   #1
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Patek 5940 Thoughts

Hi. I have been contemplating picking up a Patek 5940g to add to my collection. I’ve become a bit infatuated with this model as it checks a lot of the boxes for me - Breguet numerals, dauphine hands, unique case shape, complications, etc. I am kind of surprised to see where this is at in the market relative to some of the sports pieces that continue to garner all of the attention.

I’m wondering if anybody knows any good sites or information to read up on the history and production of this model? I believe it was introduced in 2014, and also know it came in yellow gold and white gold, and specifically for white there appears to be a silver/white dial and a black dial.

If anybody has any references or thoughts I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Specifically, do any of these pieces deserve any type of premium or are any of them likely to be more collectible?

I appreciate hearing from some of the Patek experts here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2021, 04:21 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Hi. I have been contemplating picking up a Patek 5940g to add to my collection. I’ve become a bit infatuated with this model as it checks a lot of the boxes for me - Breguet numerals, dauphine hands, unique case shape, complications, etc. I am kind of surprised to see where this is at in the market relative to some of the sports pieces that continue to garner all of the attention.

I’m wondering if anybody knows any good sites or information to read up on the history and production of this model? I believe it was introduced in 2014, and also know it came in yellow gold and white gold, and specifically for white there appears to be a silver/white dial and a black dial.

If anybody has any references or thoughts I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Specifically, do any of these pieces deserve any type of premium or are any of them likely to be more collectible?

I appreciate hearing from some of the Patek experts here.

check this out at the bottom: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/patek-philippe-5940g

"If you're thinking, "hmm, where have I seen this case before?" it might be worth taking a look at that 1920s platinum minute repeater owned by Henry Graves coming up for sale next month. And if you're wondering who may have had a say in the micro-rotor architecture of the 240Q movement at Patek, I encourage you to read this article and have a look at the back of his time-only watch. Further proof that in watches, as in life, everything comes full circle."
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 05:02 AM   #3
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Love cushion cases. Do it!
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 05:47 AM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Cushion cases PP are rare! But it is a marmite kind of watch, either you like it or hate it I feel. If you can like it, that’s half the battle won. Finding it won’t be easy I think.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:16 AM   #5
Vipes
"TRF" Member

In general, cushion cases are not too popular when it comes to Patek. I love the 5940g white dial but never pulled the trigger cause something else was always higher on my list. IMO, this looks better than the 5140 since it doesn't have the shrunken 27 and 5 on date subdial.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:27 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

I have thought about the 5940 in the past and very much like the cushion case, Breguet markers, and 240 movement, but somehow the baroque font of the subdials throws me off. It makes the watch look a little old fashioned in my eyes. I prefer the more minimal subdial font of 5327 which also has Breguet markers. Probably I'd play it safe though and get a 3940 as I will always love that one.

Subtona on here owned the black 5940G for a while which is the best of the 5940 IMO. Why don't you PM him if he doesn't chime in.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 07:04 AM   #7
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I recently acquired the 5940g black dial. Ticks indeed a lot of boxes and one of the best pateks for the money in the current market. I love it but it seems cushion shape is not very popular today.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 08:11 AM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Forget the case for a moment .... that dial. Way too busy. Looks like those sub-dials and all the numbers/text around them were shoe-horned in there.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 12:39 AM   #9
Billfav
"TRF" Member

I so regret not jumping on this reference

My A.D. had one in the case for years. Testimony that the cushion case is a bit polarizing. However I have loved it since I first tried it on. Perfect size and yes it looks like a timepiece from another era.

Sadly I was waiting on a deal (as at the time I could not afford the full msrp) but alas someone finally purchased it. So to fill that cavity I have since acquired a 3940. Not the same shape but has enough in common with the 5940. However truth be told I still love the look and shape of the 5940.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 01:27 AM   #10
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
I tried one on a while back whilst travelling in the UAE and have to say it's one of my favourite current PP's. Left field choice for sure but absolutely stunning in the metal and extremely comfortable to wear. I'd have the 5940R myself rather than the G version. It's just a little warmer.

I think the key with these is to get the best possible deal since they are not so sought after.

Remember one thing, collectible watches of the future are more often than not the ones that were unwanted at the time when they were in the shops.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 01:47 AM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

These PC pieces are very under-rated. Excellent movement that is inside the 3940, 5140, 5740 and the 5327. The case shape is what deters many people. But who knew that the unpopular 5020 would be a hot item many years after it was discontinued?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 06:47 AM   #12
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Appreciate all of the thoughts! I’m honestly all over the place and trying to balance liquidity to hop on some (hopeful) incomings over the coming months, but I’m also really looking to add a “dress” Patek to the collection. I feel if I hop on the Patek, the ADs will call. And if I don’t, I’ll be left on the sideline. Haha!

I really do love the 5940g but not sure enough to add it right now. I literally love it one minute, and the next minute some of the comments on here (case shape, “busy” dial) come into focus and make me think it’s only worth adding at an outstanding price and that’s just harder and harder to achieve these days.

I’ve also been taking a close look at the 5205g (beautiful dial albeit somewhat chunky in my opinion) and the 5960g. The 5960g seems like it may be discontinued now and it may be harder to get a good deal on one, but I have to admit it’s one that’s caught my attention as well.

Old 20 October 2021, 07:50 AM   #13
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I love the 5940. The cushion case is such a refined, classic look. And the 240Q movement allows it to wear really slim on the wrist, so it’s an easy daily watch for the office. I think the black dial version looks especially sharp and sophisticated. The rose gold version is also very nice. I see them listed from time to time by grey dealers and prices have been pretty steady in the high $50K range for the black dial and low-to-mid $50Ks for the white dial versions. Buy it if it speaks to you and makes you happy. Best of luck!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 09:15 AM   #14
fuigo
"TRF" Member

I also enjoy the cushion case of the 5940. To me, there seems to be more room to breathe on the dial than 3940. It’s not easy to display all the information on a tiny space efficiently. I don’t believe it ever got the love it deserved. I was able to obtain a brand new one in RG from an AD last year. I think the best version is the WG with white dial. It is a more versatile combination of metal and color. Maybe one day… before the prices for these start to creep up.
fuigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:53 PM   #15
maecenas
"TRF" Member

It’s funny that this watch was actually my entry into Patek. I walked into a shop one day, saw it in the case, and fell so in love that I didn’t even bother to go off and try to contemplate others. It was simply the most elegant watch I had ever seen. I did spend a good 2 weeks tormenting myself over the price, but I got it and have never regretted it (white gold, white dial).

These were definitely not broadly appreciated, but I think they have their crowd, and I think the broad market is coming back around to non round watches at the moment. But really this has to be one that’s for you.
maecenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:01 PM   #16
erics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuigo View Post
I also enjoy the cushion case of the 5940. To me, there seems to be more room to breathe on the dial than 3940. It’s not easy to display all the information on a tiny space efficiently. I don’t believe it ever got the love it deserved. I was able to obtain a brand new one in RG from an AD last year. I think the best version is the WG with white dial. It is a more versatile combination of metal and color. Maybe one day… before the prices for these start to creep up.
funny you say that. I think it does look warmer, more appealing in R or J. The G version leaves me totally cold. Too monochrome for my taste.

Agree on all other points though.
Old 10 June 2022, 10:30 PM   #17
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

I own the 5940R, a good deal on the secondary market. I initially refused the purchase but have slept on it I picked it up the next day. It’s a very elegant piece with a vintage feel, but all the modern wonders of PP design and finishing.

I can agree with other comments that this ref looks better in R or J metals. I think it’s the vintage feel of the design that doesn’t work so well with the more modern G material.

Havnt had the chance to wear it yet but very much looking forward to having that opportunity. It’s definitely a watch that grows on you the more you marvel at it.
Henry14th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 03:04 AM   #18
erics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry14th View Post
I own the 5940R, a good deal on the secondary market. I initially refused the purchase but have slept on it I picked it up the next day. It’s a very elegant piece with a vintage feel, but all the modern wonders of PP design and finishing.

I can agree with other comments that this ref looks better in R or J metals. I think it’s the vintage feel of the design that doesn’t work so well with the more modern G material.

Havnt had the chance to wear it yet but very much looking forward to having that opportunity. It’s definitely a watch that grows on you the more you marvel at it.
very cool purchase, congratulations. I love it when people have the courage to buy these wonderful PP's that are not Nautilus etc.

Would be even better if you posted some pictures!
Old 11 June 2022, 09:41 AM   #19
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics View Post
very cool purchase, congratulations. I love it when people have the courage to buy these wonderful pp's that are not nautilus etc.

Would be even better if you posted some pictures!
5940.jpg
5940bck.jpg
Old 11 June 2022, 01:50 PM   #20
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lovely watch looks great - any pics on the wrist ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 June 2022, 09:51 AM   #21
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post

Hi,

It’s currently locked up in storage, I’ll take some wrist shots next time I visit the storage.
Old 14 June 2022, 02:41 AM   #22
erics
"TRF" Member

i think it is one of the best proportioned watches in the entire range with the best complication, not too much, not too little. Absolutely spot on. For having tried it on, i'd say it is one of the nicest watches to actually wear. No place for it in a safe ;)
Old 14 June 2022, 04:48 AM   #23
Jimbo
Banned

This is a beautiful watch case. Does this or a similar model come with a "pocket watch" like caseback? You know, the ones that open up like a pocket watch to show the sapphire display caseback. I forgot what those are called.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2022, 09:28 AM   #24
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post

Wrist shot as promised, not the best angle but you can see the proportions.

It wears small on my 19cm wrist by modern standards, it’s very thin and elegant. Really fond of the watch but just don’t get too many opportunities to wear it. I guess as I get older I will wear it more.B1814037-DB7F-41A9-AEFD-12FF45E0C494.jpeg
Old 3 August 2022, 09:32 AM   #25
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wrist shot as promised, not the best angle but you can see the proportions.

It wears small on my 19cm wrist by modern standards, it’s very thin and elegant. Really fond of the watch but just don’t get too many opportunities to wear it. I guess as I get older I will wear it more.Attachment 1309393
looks great on you !!!