The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2021, 07:32 PM   #31
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Not bored. Still keeping in touch with the latest news but from a back seat. I'm not in the market for any watch and don't intend to be in the foreseable future. I'm content with what I've got.

I haven't lost that loving feeling .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnYY9Mw2Fg
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 07:40 PM   #32
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I think there’s a difference between being bored of watches and bored of the hobby (and all that goes with the hobby). I don’t get bored of watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Bingo!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 08:11 PM   #33
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
i get bored of watches very easily...
This.

Having a (very) limited budget I tend to acquire only very inexpensive watches nowadays, knowing that I'll probably flip them in just a few months.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 09:25 PM   #34
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I never get tired of watches. I get tired of all the noise around them right now. Prices and availability is the current song and there is no way to get away from it unless you just go away. I have too much fun, enjoy my fellow TRF Members too much, learn too much and like the pictures too much to go away. So I just filter and enjoy the watches.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 10:13 PM   #35
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Yes all the time
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 11:34 PM   #36
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I love Watches I’m a regular poster here and I have a somewhat addictive personality, which can be a good and a bad thing. However Watches are a great passion of mine which gives me a lot of enjoyment.

Having said that I do go through phases sometimes (where I often won’t post here for a few weeks) of just getting a bit bored of them and just wear one watch for a long time without changing it. These are short periods for me, I think I immerse myself so much in looking and researching different models I tire from it at times.

However as I said it’s always short lived, once i stick on a piece I haven’t worn for a long time, currently lusting after my air king 116900 which I haven’t bothered to make the trip to the safe for to get it out, at the moment.

Plus I’m not in the market to buy right now, I love the lead up to buying a watch and finding the right one, I think that plays a part.

Just wondering if anyone experiences the same from time to time?

Writing this content with my sd43 on which honestly does rarely ever leave my wrist.
100%. I have a number of hobbies - cars, bikes, woodworking, watches, guitar, etc - and I seem to just rotate between them over the years. At any given time I will be DEEP into one of them and really not that interested in the rest. This is the 3rd time in my life I'm going through an extended "watch cycle", but it's always arbitrary how I switch gears. In this case, I was literally watching a youtube video on woodworking over a year ago and the guy was wearing a Submariner. 30 seconds later I was reading about the new 2020 Sub release and now like 14 months later I've spent time on watches every single day in between. The year prior to this, I was on woodworking forums daily, but in this last year I've maybe visited them 2 times.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 11:38 PM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Take two Advil, and two shots of Scotch. It’ll bring you out of your stuper Jay
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 01:54 AM   #38
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Sometimes I think to myself that this hobby is excessive and silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 02:49 AM   #39
Calborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytonas
Yeah. I am in one now. Might actually be long-term this time around
Calborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 04:49 AM   #40
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
I don't think I get bored, but assume I'm like a lot of other people and have competing hobbies with never enough money to spend on each. Besides watches, I also do, sports cars, motorcycles, audio equipment, Jeeps, handguns etc., so there has to be a balance of time and money for each...
911991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 04:54 AM   #41
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE

But what I do get tired of is the current state of the hobby. I’ve been very very very fortunate that in the last 3 years or so to be in a place financially where I could really do some major damage with purchasing a bunch more but that also coincides with the worst time in history to acquire via the traditional A D route. This is the part I’m “tired” of.

Which taints the experience and hobby as a whole. At least for me[/QUOTE]

This
Jb1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 05:09 AM   #42
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Not bored. Still keeping in touch with the latest news but from a back seat. I'm not in the market for any watch and don't intend to be in the foreseable future. I'm content with what I've got.

I haven't lost that loving feeling .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnYY9Mw2Fg
I can truly relate to that. I had my weak five minutes after purchasing the last one, where I suddenly felt I needed more, but ever since I overcame that, I’m just happy I found the one for me and that’s just fine. No need for more.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 07:43 AM   #43
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, I love Watches I’m a regular poster here and I have a somewhat addictive personality, which can be a good and a bad thing. However Watches are a great passion of mine which gives me a lot of enjoyment.

Having said that I do go through phases sometimes (where I often won’t post here for a few weeks) of just getting a bit bored of them and just wear one watch for a long time without changing it. These are short periods for me, I think I immerse myself so much in looking and researching different models I tire from it at times.

However as I said it’s always short lived, once i stick on a piece I haven’t worn for a long time, currently lusting after my air king 116900 which I haven’t bothered to make the trip to the safe for to get it out, at the moment.

Plus I’m not in the market to buy right now, I love the lead up to buying a watch and finding the right one, I think that plays a part.

Just wondering if anyone experiences the same from time to time?

Writing this content with my sd43 on which honestly does rarely ever leave my wrist.
Yes. Why not? It is not a number one priority to have a nice watch. There are many other things in life.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 08:28 AM   #44
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Do you ever have phases where you get bored of Watches?

The general hobby was far more interesting and fun a few years back, even just 5-6 years ago would be far back enough.

In more recent times and especially the last 24 months, things have gotten really bad and the soul is truly being ripped out of it for me.

Then, I come here to TRF, and there is thread after thread about investment, and price increase, and market speculation. It’s like a forum for low-grade wannabe economists/chancers. Just the odd thread here or there of interest.

The passion doesn’t go away, but the current landscape just hinders the enjoyment.

I don’t think things will return to how they used to be. I think the real enthusiasts will have to adapt their consumption of Rolex and the horology side of things in a new way.

Either that, or develop an interest in other brands.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 02:46 PM   #45
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I am content now.

Realised that the ideal number of watches is two each for my and the wife.
1 Datejust and 1 Sport model each.

More than that and it becomes more difficult deciding what to wear/storage/insurance etc. Less than that and you don't have any options or something to wear if it needs a service.

Since realising this, I don't feel the desire to acquire any more and I can just get on with life.
Happy days.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 03:38 PM   #46
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Do you ever have phases where you get bored of Watches?
No.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:23 AM   #47
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Definitely.

A combination of
- having a good, diverse collection
- not being able to buy the few remaining pieces
- things I like being stupid expensive
- same forum topics over and over
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:53 AM   #48
Moka-Tiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: The 1 on my wrist
I phase in and out of the hobby of reading and posting on watch forums . Definitely "in" when I am looking for a certain watch. After the acquisition my interest fades, so I rarely look at watch forums. But I never get tired of watches.
Moka-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:01 AM   #49
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
Like others have said, sometimes I take a break from the forums and then there is so much to read when you log back in. For instance I felt today had quite a few nice posts to read. Most people enjoy the hunt or the search, same thing for automobiles. When genuinely searching for a new car I spend so many hours reading up on reviews and checking out forums, but in the mean-time your attention is focused on other interests but it's always in the back of your mind. (same goes for watches) I used to try and rotate in many of my watches in my daily rotation, but recently I have been sticking with two at a time. That being said, I get to pull once out of the box and it feels like a new watch if you have not worn it in a few months. Just like the excitement of getting your watch back from a routine service.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:28 AM   #50
soflonative
2024 Pledge Member

Nope never!!...this my 50th year of wearing a watch daily and my 42nd year of wearing a Rolex daily.
Old 21 October 2021, 05:32 AM   #51
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
I am now. Tired of hearing about shortages. Not just watches, it's everything!!!
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:35 AM   #52
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflonative View Post
Nope never!!...this my 50th year of wearing a watch daily and my 42nd year of wearing a Rolex daily.
Me too, my 57th year of wearing a watch daily and my 53rd year of wearing a Wilsdorf watch daily.