The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 October 2021, 01:32 AM   #31
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
There will be an emphasis on private viewing / purchase areas and Rolexes are not to "sold" across the counter display like a set of brake pads at an autoparts store.
My AD, a Rolex only Boutique, has already been like this since it opened 5-6 years ago or so and has been “refreshed” once already. The showroom is upfront, a seating area around a coffee table follows, then a desk set back in the corner with a private room across from that.
My first watch there, a BLNR, was presented and sold at the corner desk. My BLRO was presented in the private room, this was only their 12th unit and they probably didn’t want anyone random seeing it.
My Daytona was presented at the coffee table area, several customers were picking up at the same time and the desk and private room were occupied. Last but not least I was shown a red OP41 at the desk but did not take it at the time, now waiting again.
All of these came straight out of the coffin, none were in the case. I have witnessed a couple of walkins buying watches out of the case. They are whisked to the desk when it’s time to pay. Also nothing as crass as pulling out the credit card reader from under the case…the SA takes your card to the backroom, a few minutes later the “logistics” guy brings your completed paperwork to you. He is also the one that does the bracelet sizing out of sight.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 01:34 AM   #32
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I suppose it would take enough of an increase in msrp that resale values weren't much above that...

not sure if they'd actually do it though.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 01:57 AM   #33
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Hard when something is popular. Everyone turned into a flipper effectively creating way more buyers when demand of actual owners also increased. Its going to be lean with these circumstances. Makes me appreciate my AD even more.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 02:22 AM   #34
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

It honestly doesn't bother me if the display cases are filled or not. I'm going to get what I'm going to want to get anyway, so I don't typically impulse buy off of what is in the case.

I do like the option of the exhibition models to try on. I hope that continues.

I'm just glad that the watches are flying off the shelves as it's good for my Rolex dealer. I think we've pretty much accepted that demand is what is driving the lack of case stock, not any nefarious plot by Rolex to slow down production or supply.
Old 20 October 2021, 02:53 AM   #35
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliegenwulf View Post
Whats the allure of a 'Rolex' if it is loses its exclusivity?
Um, they're pretty decent watches?
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 02:58 AM   #36
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliegenwulf View Post
Whats the allure of a 'Rolex' if it is loses its exclusivity?

I don’t see how something can be exclusive when they manufacture close to a million of them a year. They are difficult to get for some people, but not exclusive. People buying Rolex because they feel like they are getting something rare or exclusive are blinded by the brand. It’s neither of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 03:27 AM   #37
Kelvin Knight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I don’t see how something can be exclusive when they manufacture close to a million of them a year. They are difficult to get for some people, but not exclusive. People buying Rolex because they feel like they are getting something rare or exclusive are blinded by the brand. It’s neither of those things.

I’m genuinely interested to know what you would consider rare if you think 1 million watches a year is enough to satiate 7 billion people, of which 56 million are bonafide millionaires.
Kelvin Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 03:49 AM   #38
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin Knight View Post
I’m genuinely interested to know what you would consider rare if you think 1 million watches a year is enough to satiate 7 billion people, of which 56 million are bonafide millionaires.
I would say because anyone can buy one online at anytime and have it promptly delivered. A willingness to pay over retail for a mass produced item doesn't exactly equal exclusivity.
Old 20 October 2021, 04:08 AM   #39
novae500
"TRF" Member

i know 6 or so years ago, there were several smash and grab at the a few local AD shops where 20-30 rolexes were taken from each store. In and out in less than 2 minutes and cctv showed SAs just standing around or running away.

Maybe after these incidents, insurance /store owner didnt want them to be in the display cases again.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 05:15 AM   #40
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

How Will ADs Ever Have Stocked Cases Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin Knight View Post

Is the Ford F-150 rare ( they made nearly 900,000 in 2019)? How many farmers exist in this world? 7 billion people are not Rolex customers. 7.7 billion people in the world, i imagine only the top 1% are even viable Rolex customers. Out of that 1%, maybe 20% wear a watch or fitness tracker ( 1 in 5 people wear a watch or fitness tracker). How many wear a high end Swiss mechanical watch out of that group, not that many. 56 million millionaires are not all Rolex customers.

You forget that the amount of people that wear mechanical watches is small. The amount interested in Rolex is even smaller. Because we have thousands of people here that talk about watches, doesn’t represent the percentage of the world that are actually interested in mechanical watches, let alone Rolex.

Rolex as a brand, is not rare. They have rare models. Like the 116508, that’s rare. They make very few, and they are simply not available. That would be rare. Rolex submariner? Not rare.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 05:32 AM   #41
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Everyone knows all the best brake pads are behind the counter -- not in the aisles. You have to ask for them.
Well played!

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 05:43 AM   #42
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I think a lot of folks here are confusing scarcity with availability. Just because there are plenty of Rolexes on the gray market, doesn't mean they are available to many people.

While there are likely many millionaires on this forum, or certainly folks with a ton of disposable income, paying double the MSRP for an OP41, or 7K more for a Sub on the gray market to an average guy looking for a nice watch to reward themselves or give as a special gift marking an occasion, at that price is now out of reach.

Just something to consider.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 06:26 AM   #43
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Smaller cases.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 10:05 AM   #44
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
How Will ADs Ever Have Stocked Cases Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
I would say because anyone can buy one online at anytime and have it promptly delivered. A willingness to pay over retail for a mass produced item doesn't exactly equal exclusivity.
By that definition nothing in this world is exclusive.

Don’t go making up definitions just to suit your agenda

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 10:10 AM   #45
1665fan
"TRF" Member

85% of Rolex the average man can get……the top 15% is rare and hard to get…..hence the premium
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 11:07 AM   #46
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
By that definition nothing in this world is exclusive.

Don’t go making up definitions just to suit your agenda

Agenda. Yeah that's what I have here, buddy.

You're telling me everything in the world can be purchased online at a 40 percent markup? Nope. Truly exclusive stuff can't be, anyway.
Old 20 October 2021, 11:36 AM   #47
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
My magic 8 ball says, "no". Grey dealers will have your dream watch, usually in stock.
I'll continue to get my Dream Watches from my AD. I just accept I'll have to wait a bit longer for them........
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 12:29 PM   #48
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
This is a very interesting thread. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s views.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 05:42 PM   #49
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The dealer showrooms will be reset and remodeled (on their dime) to much smaller display cases that will feature only select references. These will emulate or create a boutique experience, either as a separate entirely Rolex location or an addition to the AD location that will be separate from the rest of the store.

There will be an emphasis on private viewing / purchase areas and Rolexes are not to "sold" across the counter display like a set of brake pads at an autoparts store.

My source for this was an operations manager from an AD who ran a Q&A on TICTOK.

He was very open about how to acquire Rolex from an AD and videoed his store getting shipments from Rolex and unboxing them on camera. He suddenly took down all those videos and paused for awhile to "consult" with Rolex about the content.

He reappeared on TikTOK after about a week and answered a question from a follower about this topic. His store is currently undergoing a refit and he described what it entailed, which I detailed previously in this post.

12hrs or so after he made that video regarding the refit and merchandising strategy, his account was deleted from TicTok.

So, don't worry about display watches anymore as apparently that merchandising model is being phased out.

Stack em high and watch them fly is seemingly NOT the Rolex vision anymore, so the days of showcases FULL of Rolex are essentially over.
Very interesting, thanks for this.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 06:41 PM   #50
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The dealer showrooms will be reset and remodeled (on their dime) to much smaller display cases that will feature only select references. These will emulate or create a boutique experience, either as a separate entirely Rolex location or an addition to the AD location that will be separate from the rest of the store.

This is now the situation at my AD. You go to a dedicated area to talk to someone about buying a Rolex or to pick one up when it arrives. No other brands are displayed in this area, all of the furnishings, fittings and livery are Rolex. You can look at a picture of any model you want but you won't see most of them on display, even as blanks.

Walk around the corner into the main watch department and there are racks of IWC, Tag Heuer, Omega, Breitling, Longines, Chopard, Tissot, Gucci, Tudor etc. And a couple of cases (plus one in the window) of new watches at sale prices. Buying a used Rolex is done back in the boutique area and having sat near someone who was picking up a used DJ, the experience looked no different from buying a new one. Now that the dedicated boutique area is up and running, I wouldn't have any idea of what someone else was buying (apart from knowing it is a Rolex) because the tables are positioned and spaced for privacy.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 07:09 PM   #51
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Aside from exhibition/display models, how can an AD ever have even a 25% stocked case again? Short of a devastating recession, what would it realistically take?
It would take a reduction in the number of Rolex watches now being purchased by individual buyers. Just look on TRF and be stunned by the collections of 5,10,20 Rolex watches that are owned by individuals. Simple math.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 07:22 PM   #52
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I've had many hobbies in this life, collecting..Beanie babies, Tulips, stamps, Cabbage patch kids and now I'm on to Rolex steel sports and always wonder why when I get into these things do they become unobtainable.

I've posted my thoughts on myspace and even told my friends reunited group but I'm not getting many replies so I'll try here.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:33 PM   #53
telesquire
Banned

If the dealers stopped selling to greys then their cabinets would be stocked! Our tiny little country has a mind boggling amount of September/October 2021 watches for sale right now...there are more than enough to fill EVERY AD's cabinets today. Chrono24 has 945 new/unworn 2021 pieces for sale as of today...and they are just a fraction of the available watches. So many physical jewellers shops don't use the platform.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:36 PM   #54
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMilgauss View Post
I've had many hobbies in this life, collecting..Beanie babies, Tulips, stamps, Cabbage patch kids and now I'm on to Rolex steel sports and always wonder why when I get into these things do they become unobtainable.

I've posted my thoughts on myspace and even told my friends reunited group but I'm not getting many replies so I'll try here.
Tulips and beanie babies don’t tell time so everybody switched to Rolex
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:39 PM   #55
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Stocked cases with watches for sale is a thing of the past.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote