The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2021, 02:33 AM   #1
alwayslovedwatches
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on my situation

In nyc, a friend referred me to his salesman…

He said he could get me everything I like given enough time…

Was going to get a Tudor bb 58, got the message that it came yesterday, issue is I intend to get the steel submariner no date…

Am I blowing my chances if i don’t buy this piece that I previously mentioned I would buy…?

Is it a bit repetitive the Tudor bb and the steel sub, I don’t hate the bb, would basically be a daily beater..

Thoughts are appreciated
alwayslovedwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:36 AM   #2
winst
"TRF" Member

If you are getting BB58 Blue it is different enough to a Sub and is an absolute strap monster when you fancy a bit of a change.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:36 AM   #3
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
It depends. If you already committed to a BB 58 and now backed out, the AD may take that indecisiveness as not being a serious customer. Thus, never offering you a Sub. Just the nature of where we are in the market currently as ADs have the luxury of being picky.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:38 AM   #4
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't think they would care at all if you passed. Dont worry about them, they will sell that BB58 to someone else without issue. I agree, little repetitive with the BB58 and the ND sub. I have a new datesub and a BB58, and i love it. The BB58 feels very vintage and for 4k, i think its a lot of watch. My suggestion would be to tell the sales rep you are most interested in a ND sub and will wait for your time. Might be worth trying the BB58 on if you haven't had a chance to yet.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:39 AM   #5
alwayslovedwatches
"TRF" Member

I did not put any money down or anything… just thinking of the repetition within my desired collection down the road. Maybe I do a cartier or omega speed master ?
Old 21 October 2021, 02:42 AM   #6
alwayslovedwatches
"TRF" Member

He did mention it would show purchase history, which is helpful…
Old 21 October 2021, 02:46 AM   #7
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
It depends. If you already committed to a BB 58 and now backed out, the AD may take that indecisiveness as not being a serious customer. Thus, never offering you a Sub..
This…
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:47 AM   #8
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslovedwatches View Post
He did mention it would show purchase history, which is helpful…
That's all you need to know. He told you without telling you so much that you need purchase history if you want to get the Sub. Up to you whether the BB58 is a worthy entry price or not. Just the nature right now when you have more buyers than product.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:49 AM   #9
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

It might show you are not a serious buyer. A BB58 is a common piece in AD cases so it shouldn’t be a big deal if you pass on buying it but there’s always the risk.

If it were me I’d be honest with the AD and tell them that I am having second thoughts on the BB58 and prefer the Sub as the first purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:55 AM   #10
alwayslovedwatches
"TRF" Member

I asked for the op41 as my first piece, the dealer mentioned they would allocate that piece to me, then the sub, then the 2 steel Daytona’s… he said this was all doable…

BB would just be a bonus piece…

Also just asked for the new exp1.

Guess I should just take the bb…
Old 21 October 2021, 02:59 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

What about something like this, instead, done in-person:

"This is stunning, I love it, etc... Only hesitation is that I do intend to get a Sub ND at the earliest availability and am worried they'd be redundant. There's a fairly high likelihood I end up selling this one at that point, and therefore don't want to take it away from someone on your list who you know has been waiting for one."

Then see the reaction.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:00 AM   #12
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I don’t think it’s a good idea to order something and then back out - especially as it’s a model that sells under retail where else everything else you want sells over.
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:02 AM   #13
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I asked for the op41 as my first piece, the dealer mentioned they would allocate that piece to me, then the sub, then the 2 steel Daytona’s… he said this was all doable…

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure expressing your full wish list on the first date is really the best approach. Also not sure why you have basically gone from no watches to wanting half the rolex line-up? If I were the AD, it would leave me suspicious is all I'm saying.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:03 AM   #14
myanezt
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Daytona
[QUOTE=alwayslovedwatches;11769080]I asked for the op41 as my first piece, the dealer mentioned they would allocate that piece to me, then the sub, then the 2 steel Daytona’s… he said this was all doable…

Guess I should just take the bb…[/QUOTE

2 SS Daytona doable? Looks pretty easy to be true
myanezt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:07 AM   #15
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Remember you are the customer....ask for the watch you want...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:18 AM   #16
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

"This is stunning, I love it, etc... Only hesitation is that I do intend to get a Sub ND at the earliest availability and am worried they'd be redundant. There's a fairly high likelihood I end up selling this one at that point, and therefore don't want to take it away from someone on your list who you know has been waiting for one."

Then see the reaction.
That is the most honest way to say this in-person and would hopefully yield a good conversation after.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:21 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

Then see the reaction.
Exactly how I’d handle it.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:40 AM   #18
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Don't overthink it, there is no guaranty of you buy the Tudor that you will get a Sub in a reasonable amount of time. Buying doesn't hurt your chances but if you like the Tudor buy it and enjoy it. If a Sub comes in later you can always decide what to do!
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:26 AM   #19
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This sounds extremely suspect.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:30 AM   #20
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Two steel Daytonas? Before they even got you a sub? Wow. Sounds like the SA is pumping you to buy the bb58. Don’t buy it if you don’t really like it. How did it even come into the conversation? If you asked for it then backing out won’t look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:48 AM   #21
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not a chance in hell. You are being snookered into a BB58.

Reality is... BB58 Blue artificial scarcity is no longer working. They are producing MORE than available demand. So, they are pushing them onto potential Rolex customers. They were hot one year ago. Now, they are getting played out.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 07:49 AM   #22
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Don't buy something you don't absolutely want. They will have no problem selling the BB58 to the next person. Let them know you prefer to wait for the Sub (even if it means admitting a change of heart.)

If you have the cash and can get them both, get the BB now, it is a nice watch. When (if) you get the Sub, you can sell it and the money lost will be worth the while you enjoyed it.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:12 AM   #23
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
This sounds extremely suspect.
Yep. OP41’s, at least the colorful ones, are probably in shorter supply than the Sub. So friend’s introduction aside, they’re going to give you two fairly hard to get models followed by BOTH dials of the Daytona?
Sounds like they are blowing smoke up your dress. But you will not be getting any of the others without buying the BB58 first.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:38 AM   #24
myanezt
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Yep. OP41’s, at least the colorful ones, are probably in shorter supply than the Sub. So friend’s introduction aside, they’re going to give you two fairly hard to get models followed by BOTH dials of the Daytona?
Sounds like they are blowing smoke up your dress. But you will not be getting any of the others without buying the BB58 first.
Full agree... specially about the Daytonas
myanezt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:42 AM   #25
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
before anything... you need to first think (pause) think again (pause) think more and decide what you want.
you said you were going to get a BB58 and BOOM Sub no date comes outta no where?
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:47 AM   #26
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Do you want the BB58? If yes, buy it. If you eventually don't want it... sell it. You might lose some money but that's just life. Don't want a BB58? Don't buy it! In terms of being repetitive I have a BB (on Vanguard rubber) and 3 subs so I say buy what you like. Divers are popular because they are a do everything watch.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:47 AM   #27
sj24k
"TRF" Member

don't overthink it. if you want it, get it. if you don't, just tell the SA you changed your mind and prefer to wait for the watch you really want.

could be misinterpreting, but the fact that you're even questioning it tells me you'd be "settling" for the tudor.

i would NEVER buy a watch i didn't love to somehow improve my chances of buying one i do love. unless it was something i could easily flip. (there. i said it.)
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:32 AM   #28
Spurman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just take it. Fantastic offer. Many hot Rolexes are waiting for u after this
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:38 AM   #29
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:

Sorry, but sounds like your SA was not being honest with you. They’re going to offer you not one, but TWO steel Daytonas with a purchase history of roughly $15k, in NYC no less?

Hate to break it to you, but that’s not even remotely plausible in this market.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:47 AM   #30
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
[QUOTE=alwayslovedwatches;11769041]In nyc, a friend referred me to his salesman…

He said he could get me everything I like given enough time…

Was going to get a Tudor bb 58, got the message that it came yesterday, issue is I intend to get the steel submariner no date…

Am I blowing my chances if i don’t buy this piece that I previously mentioned I would buy…?

Is it a bit repetitive the Tudor bb and the steel sub, I don’t hate the bb, would basically be a daily beater..

Thoughts are appreciated[/

From what I’ve read on the forum New York is a tough place to pick up sought after pieces so I would think you are getting handled a bit here. Every piece is doable if you spend enough money with the AD.

Having said that how big of a spender is your buddy who introduced you? What is his purchase history like? That’s probably what you can expect. If he’s a whale I would say there is some truth to what the SA is saying and he’ll probably take care of you a bit but you still have to pay to play for yourself.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote