The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2021, 07:53 PM   #61
tyler_win
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi, Bluesy
If you find something that speaks to you go for it. At very worst in this market you'll get back whatever you put in, maybe even a bit more. Set a cap of how many watches per year if you're afraid of going off on the deep end.
tyler_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:00 PM   #62
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
OP I was in a similar position as you several years ago (37 now). I spent the majority of my early years living frugally saving, and making conservative investments. I own my cars, home, etc outright. Zero debt. I don't have kids and do not plan on ever having any.

As I got into my 30's I made the realization that the time to enjoy the fruits of my labor is now in my prime- vs waiting it out. The big purchase that was a life changer was purchasing a dream car- figured best to own it in my prime and have fun with it than wait until I'm old, retired, and less able to fully enjoy it.

Sadly as I have gotten older I have experienced friends, co workers, family etc pass away whether from an accident or surprise medical condition. We are all on borrowed time- I could live into my 80's or be gone next week- best to make the moment count now and enjoy life as best as I can.

Of course always live within your means and have a solid financial plan in place- but if dropping 15-20K on a watch would bring you joy while being relatively inconsequential to your personal finances then I say go for it!

Very well said going through it
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:43 PM   #63
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting post and responses from our fellow TRF Members. The challenge runs deeper than spending money on watches or other luxury goods and services. As a recreational psychologist and a person that pays attention to others I would say that the OP should look at his relationship with money across the board. Nothing wrong with saving and limiting purchases but I have found BALANCE is one of the keys to life. Now the difficult thing is finding the balance that is right for you. How much to spend, how much to save is a great question that will only be answered by each of us. One good thing is we are not having a conversation about not earning. As a logic person who focuses on data, just sit down and look at where you are. What the projections of earnings in salary, real estate and other assets offset by age, time and cycles in the economy. That data is there. Take what you see and discuss it with your wife and set specific goals and benchmarks based on time, age and assets. Then live your life, buy a watch or whatever you want. Enjoy it and move on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 11:26 PM   #64
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting post and responses from our fellow TRF Members. The challenge runs deeper than spending money on watches or other luxury goods and services. As a recreational psychologist and a person that pays attention to others I would say that the OP should look at his relationship with money across the board. Nothing wrong with saving and limiting purchases but I have found BALANCE is one of the keys to life. Now the difficult thing is finding the balance that is right for you. How much to spend, how much to save is a great question that will only be answered by each of us. One good thing is we are not having a conversation about not earning. As a logic person who focuses on data, just sit down and look at where you are. What the projections of earnings in salary, real estate and other assets offset by age, time and cycles in the economy. That data is there. Take what you see and discuss it with your wife and set specific goals and benchmarks based on time, age and assets. Then live your life, buy a watch or whatever you want. Enjoy it and move on.
This is a good response, to simplify I would say for many of us watches are about how they make us "feel". None of us can tell you how to "feel" about this. You need to work through that yourself, lots of great suggestions here and while I would personally think you are in great shape and should not "feel" any guilt or anxiety about a purchase, at the end of day I have no right to tell you how to feel about this, that is ultimately up to you. And if you conclude that purchasing a Rolex is not right for you, there is nothing wrong with that. Good luck!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 11:29 PM   #65
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Not a "Can I Afford it?" Thread...

My wife and I live very modestly relative to the wealth we have accumulated. We’ll probably never change. I treat myself to Rolex SS and Omega watches. I have the financial wherewithal for Rolex PM, Holy Trinity, ALS, FP Journe type watches, but that’s just not who we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 12:16 AM   #66
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
As others have said, no kids makes it easy.

But if you’d like some simple guidance:

Max out your retirement contributions, pay off all debt(this will make you feel better), donate 10% to a real charity(not politics or religion, actual poor people), make sure the wife is happy, take days off and healthy vacations to keep stress low, then see what you’ve got left and that’s your toy money and just spend it on whatever the hell you want. By doing the other steps you’ll greatly reduce that shitty feeling when you’re about to spend a lot on a toy/jewelry.

You seem to be making quite a lot of money in general and don’t have many obligations. Rolexes aren’t that expensive for your situation I’d say.
Old 22 October 2021, 12:48 AM   #67
thegrizz
"TRF" Member

I just went through this same dilemma. Have been very frugal/saver my entire life. Financial situation is similar to yours except I have 3 kids. Bought a submariner and almost flipped it due to the price tag.

3 weeks later I'm thrilled I kept it. Yes its a lot of money. I look it at it as one watch I will never sell and hopefully pass to my son on his wedding day. Once the sticker shock wears off I think you will be extremely happy you pulled the trigger.
thegrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 12:54 AM   #68
1665fan
"TRF" Member

YOLO!! When You have more in watches than your house then it’s time to worry about it…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:02 AM   #69
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
So with 401K and Investment account alone you save over $79,000 a year. On top of this you have years of cushion in your savings. I applaud you for achieving this..now go reward yourself with a watch.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:04 AM   #70
DD58
"TRF" Member

Everyone seem to be in the same boat. We all have a sickness when it comes to time pieces. Before Covid started I got sick. Drs still don’t know what’s wrong but they say it’s not good. So I look at it like this. My bills are all paid I have money aside I have a good 401k. Happily married have a great house. Wife’s set if something happens to me. I can’t take any of this life with me. So as far as I’m concerned as long as all the bills are paid and the my saving accounts are we’re I want them then I can spend what’s left over each year. But if you have trouble then don’t worry. You have a Daytona. It’s a great watch enjoy it some more.
I spent the last 2 years getting things I’ve always wanted. That includes getting our house and married. And 8 watches I love wearing. Oh and my pup who loves watches as much as I do lol. Life as as said before is way to short to not enjoy some things. Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:09 AM   #71
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
I perfectly understand your point of view.. Although i am from Europe and we have a totally different situation over here i also don't want to spend any money at all.. The point is that you just understand, however you have in comparison with other people quite a lot, you don't have enough to feel yourself ''rich'' and don't want to spend 1/5% of your net worth on a watch.... it is just a feeling of being unresponsible with your money.. Perfectly got that.. I want to buy a moonwatch and however this isn't a expensive watch i still don't buy it because i like the ciphers on my bank account more)
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:09 AM   #72
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
[QUOTE=Slambonie;11769759]She's generally very supportive. Her only hesitation when I addressed this was that it may not be a good time to buy any luxury goods right now given the inflation we are seeing due to supply shortages, etc.

I would agree with the blanket statement of 'any' luxury goods...however, if you can get a Rolex for a decent price, more than likely it's going to hold its value very well for the foreseeable future, much more so than your standard luxury purchase. So, there's that...

Good luck.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:18 AM   #73
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Cash is trash…..only going down due to inflation……..buy a Daytona and live a little !!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:19 AM   #74
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinKy BezeL View Post
I’ve always told myself, life is so short and precious. We as humans are so insignificant, the earth is 4.5 billion years old. We are lucky to live until 100. And in our ‘prime’ for only half of that time . So whack on that watch. What are you waiting for !
agreed, I know so many who have already passed on, not saying spend like crazy but if you really want it, can afford to buy it, and will enjoy it you might as well just get it.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 04:05 AM   #75
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
A Rolex will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no Rolex
Old 23 October 2021, 08:23 AM   #76
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
OP, you've presented yourself as a responsible and sensible young man. You've been saving up and you seem financially sound. Buying that special first Rolex won't negatively affect your lifestyle, won't make a big difference in your finances. However, it should make you feel great. Go try it on if you can, this will help you decide as it'll give you the emotional perspective you need. If it depended on a rational and logical analysis, no one would buy a 10k watch. Watch enthusiasts do it for the thrills, the shot of dopamine.

I second what other members have said here, life is too bloody short and you only live once. Do yourself a favour, treat yourself to a nice piece, even if it's just one. Being foreseeing and cautious with money is a quality, but remember we don't take our savings to the grave.

Now is better than tomorrow as you can rest assured Rolex prices will keep creeping up, as they've been doing for decades, more so than inflation itself.

The first time was difficult for me, until I realised I really wanted it, more than having the extra 10k in my savings account doing nothing, on top of the comfortable buffer I already had. Ultimately that's what it boils down to. 10/15k more in a bank account or a great first piece on your wrist (on top of the one you were gifted).
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:22 AM   #77
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

no difficulty parting

after you take care of all your expenses... what else?

what if you get sick? hit by a car?

you can't be buried with your money
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:30 AM   #78
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Life is short. Enjoy.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:48 AM   #79
Demon Barber
"TRF" Member

We'll all be dead soon. Need to hear anything else?
Demon Barber is offline   Reply With Quote