The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2021, 05:45 AM   #1
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Rolex pushing it one step further

Sorry if this topic has been addressed before.
Today I went into a Rolex AD (for now location doesn’t matter but in the US)
To my surprise the showcase WAS FULL of hard to get sports models. When I inquired as to purchasing they said they were there for “Exhibition only“! I can understand walking into an AD and them saying “sorry we have nothing to sell”. But to walk into a public store that advertises selling Rolex watches and having the product readily available and say we won’t sell it to you is really going too far. How is this even Legal for a business to blatantly pick and choose who they sell to? At least lie and say you have no inventory (like they have been doing) in order to pick and choose. I am so turned off to how the AD’s and Rolex have been handling their sales techniques.
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:48 AM   #2
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
Sorry if this topic has been addressed before.
Today I went into a Rolex AD (for now location doesn’t matter but in the US)
To my surprise the showcase WAS FULL of hard to get sports models. When I inquired as to purchasing they said they were there for “Exhibition only“! I can understand walking into an AD and them saying “sorry we have nothing to sell”. But to walk into a public store that advertises selling Rolex watches and having the product readily available and say we won’t sell it to you is really going too far. How is this even Legal for a business to blatantly pick and choose who they sell to? At least lie and so you have no inventory (like they have been doing) in order to pick and choose. I am so turned off to how the AD’s and Rolex have been handling their sales techniques.
Go back a few pages to find the many threads on this situation that already has been discussed 100x
HelloMelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:54 AM   #3
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
Go back a few pages to find the many threads on this situation that already has been discussed 100x
Sure, I’ll do some detective work and reword my topic twenty times before I find it rather than just ask again. Also, before anyone asks any question as far comparing a sub to a GMT make sure you tell them the same. Perhaps if you see a topic discussed more than once you may just want to scroll on instead of taking time out to be obnoxious.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:02 AM   #4
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure, I’ll do some detective work and reword my topic twenty times before I find it rather than just ask again. Also, before anyone asks any question as far comparing a sub to a GMT make sure you tell them the same. Perhaps if you see a topic discussed more than once you may just want to scroll on instead of taking time out to be obnoxious.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=exhibition

Not being obnoxious at all. A lot of great points have been made in previous threads. Search function makes looking it up easy as well. Good luck
HelloMelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:15 AM   #5
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you’re saying those watches are “sample models”? What is that? They are not fully functional watches?
Depending on the AD, either functional or non-functional models for display purposes. They started rolling out this program in July.

Please do a search for “exhibition.”

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=811704
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:16 AM   #6
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe they should invest in producing watches to sell so people can BUY the watches of their dreams instead of just trying them on!
They are producing all they can. Demand has exponentially increased. Where have you been the past two years?
Old 21 October 2021, 06:17 AM   #7
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Pay to play unfortunately. If they were readily available in the window they wouldn’t be a thriving secondary market for them.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:19 AM   #8
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
If you’re going to jump on him for pointing out it has been discussed over and over, then don’t apologise in advance on your initial post. It’s a bit contradictory.

Good luck, Sherlock.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:20 AM   #9
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Pay to play unfortunately. If they were readily available in the window they wouldn’t be a thriving secondary market for them.
100% agree! Look at the AD, but from Grey Market
Old 21 October 2021, 06:20 AM   #10
jed11
"TRF" Member

Hey at least there were display only models to at least look at!!! Beats the alternative of literally bare cases right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:22 AM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I never get tired of reading this thread.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:23 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My opinion, it’s a bad look to have empty display cases period, and yes, I’d rather see display models or working models (not for sale) than empty cases.

At least you can see what they look like in person, try them on and get a feel for what you might be interested in
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:25 AM   #13
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
If you’re going to jump on him for pointing out it has been discussed over and over, then don’t apologise in advance on your initial post. It’s a bit contradictory.

Good luck, Sherlock.
No, it’s quite the opposite. I was trying to avoid people pointing out it may have been discussed before. But yet some can’t help but add their two cents. You know, like you’re doing right now. If you have nothing to add to the discussion as far as the initial post goes, why bother adding anything? Do you have THAT much time on your hands????
Old 21 October 2021, 06:28 AM   #14
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchgeek5000 View Post
sorry if this topic has been addressed before.
Today i went into a rolex ad (for now location doesn’t matter but in the us)
to my surprise the showcase was full of hard to get sports models. When i inquired as to purchasing they said they were there for “exhibition only“! I can understand walking into an ad and them saying “sorry we have nothing to sell”. But to walk into a public store that advertises selling rolex watches and having the product readily available and say we won’t sell it to you is really going too far. how is this even legal for a business to blatantly pick and choose who they sell to? at least lie and say you have no inventory (like they have been doing) in order to pick and choose. I am so turned off to how the ad’s and rolex have been handling their sales techniques.

lol
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:34 AM   #15
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Maybe they should invest in producing watches to sell so people can BUY the watches of their dreams instead of just trying them on!
I think it's a great idea, the current state of play is that unless you are a VVVIP at the AD you are not going to see a watch you want, as demand is massively exceeding supply, you just have to go to the AD and put your request in. Maybe at some point you will get a call and you can go and see it in the metal and decide how it looks and fits.

Or you can go grey and pay OTT prices.

Now I can go into my AD and try on a watch I like, does it fit, does it look right on my wrist etc etc, then I can say yes I want one or no its not for me. I did this with the JC DSSD and the SD43, love the look of the JC but it was way to big for me but the SD43 was a perfect fit so now my SA is doing their best to get me this watch.

Sure some people may not like this new development but for me it works.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:38 AM   #16
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
They are producing plenty of watches. Demand just outstrips supply. Perhaps the decision makers at Rolex are cleverer than you and realize that ramping up supply to meet insane levels of demand could tarnish the brand’s image if a recession occurs (or the hype otherwise dies) and the market is flooded with watches nobody wants?
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:38 AM   #17
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I think it's a great idea, the current state of play is that unless you are a VVVIP at the AD you are not going to see a watch you want, as demand is massively exceeding supply, you just have to go to the AD and put your request in. Maybe at some point you will get a call and you can go and see it in the metal and decide how it looks and fits.

Or you can go grey and pay OTT prices.

Now I can go into my AD and try on a watch I like, does it fit, does it look right on my wrist etc etc, then I can say yes I want one or no its not for me. I did this with the JC DSSD and the SD43, love the look of the JC but it was way to big for me but the SD43 was a perfect fit so now my SA is doing their best to get me this watch.

Sure some people may not like this new development but for me it works.

Thank you for the input and sensible answer to my post. Yes, that does make sense.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:39 AM   #18
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
No, it’s quite the opposite. I was trying to avoid people pointing out it may have been discussed before. But yet some can’t help but add their two cents. You know, like you’re doing right now. If you have nothing to add to the discussion as far as the initial post goes, why bother adding anything? Do you have THAT much time on your hands????

Haha I like your post.

Hope you got the clarity you wanted from the responses.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:43 AM   #19
sj24k
"TRF" Member

feel your pain, but it is what it is.

rolex makes over a million watches a year. their branding, marketing, and sales are better than ever. demand is through the roof (just as it is with pretty much every luxury good.) and the secondary market is the strongest it's ever been.

sure, it sucks to walk into a store and not be able to buy the watch you want. but honestly, if you could, the hobby, the collecting, and the enjoyment would all suffer (at least IMHO.)

if the rolex experience has you down, take a walk over to AP or PP and try and get yourself a new royal oak or maybe an aquanaut. at least with rolex an average joe stands a chance of snagging a decent piece with some persistence, patience, and luck. but anyone who's ever sold anything knows that good, repeat customers are almost always gonna get preferential treatment.

there are plenty of other fine watch brands out there at all sorts of price points. so my advice is to either find another brand that's more accessible, or skip the whole AD thing and pony up the stupid-high market price for whatever watch you really want and be happily wearing it tomorrow.

(uh oh, now i've gone and opened up that can o' worms on what might be the other most discussed topic in the watch game.)
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:46 AM   #20
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
I don't understand why people bring up legality in these threads. Owning a Rolex is a privilege, not a right. At the end of the day business owners can sell what they want and to whom the want.
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:49 AM   #21
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I actually don't think having exhibit models is that bad.

It got something for us to try on and play with. Not that it will change the current situation which the normal buyers won't be able to get their hands on anything.

But at least now I know I don't want to own the Explorer 36. LOL

To be honest, I largely moved on from the Rolex brand. Sure, I have my name on some less-popular models. But I am putting my attention on brands which I can get my hands on. Much like my marriage. But that's another story. LOL
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:49 AM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is Rolex confirmation that this is the new way to purchase a Rolex as Rolex would never invest in Display models if this current market wasn’t going to be long term.
It doesn’t get any clearer signed than this you are not going to see models you can buy in dealers display case. You don’t have to like it but you better accept it or look at another brand.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:50 AM   #23
Kelvin Knight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex supply has been raped and pillaged (figuratively & literally) by the very “people” you reference.
Kelvin Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:51 AM   #24
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDREW22 View Post
I don't understand why people bring up legality in these threads. Owning a Rolex is a privilege, not a right. At the end of the day business owners can sell what they want and to whom the want.
Honestly not too many business you can walk into, see a product on the shelf and the sales person say “sorry can’t sell it to you”! I understand now what Rolex is doing, but not that many businesses can get away with that. A person who doesn’t follow what’s going on in the “Rolex World” would find it quite unusual.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:56 AM   #25
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Honestly not too many business you can walk into, see a product on the shelf and the sales person say “sorry can’t sell it to you”! I understand now what Rolex is doing, but not that many businesses can get away with that. A person who doesn’t follow what’s going on in the “Rolex World” would find it quite unusual.
It happens all the time in high end vehicles in the auto industry. Ferrari will shock you how much of a nobody you are with them unless you have history and are vetted to be selected to be on a waitlist. This is why so many of these exclusive cars are sold by independent auto boutiques at a premium mark up.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:59 AM   #26
JH419
"TRF" Member

In premium or luxury spaces yeah this practice is common. Hermes - Birkin cant walk in and purchase, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Certain AMG models ect... can't just pick any model, have to work your way up, Richard Mille - Nobody can buy instore. I think Chanel just released a statement saying that customers can only purchase one bag per year. Imagine if Rolex did that, how many people would be pissed off.
JH419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 07:00 AM   #27
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
It happens all the time in high end vehicles in the auto industry. Ferrari will shock you how much of a nobody you are with them unless you have history and are vetted to be selected to be on a waitlist. This is why so many of these exclusive cars are sold by independent auto boutiques at a premium mark up.
Takes some getting used too. Wasn’t that long ago I was getting Now “hard to get “ watches below retail. Paid $7,700 for the last 116610lv I purchased brand new!
Old 21 October 2021, 07:01 AM   #28
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Try purchasing a Richard Mille, Patek Philippe Nautilus, or AP Royal Oak. None to be seen at the boutique.

They aren't sitting on the shelves like cans of Campbell's soup.
Old 21 October 2021, 07:05 AM   #29
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Takes some getting used too. Wasn’t that long ago I was getting Now “hard to get “ watches below retail. Paid $7,700 for the last 116610lv I purchased brand new!
Me too but after fighting the reality, I had to change my mind set and develop a new strategy.

These days are forever gone.
I even got a discount.
Old 21 October 2021, 07:08 AM   #30
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Usually the dummy display models have the hands fixed to ‘Rolex time’ 10:10:32

The models I saw recently in my local AD window all had their hands at different random times so my guess is these were genuine working models.

The point being that the AD’s are definitely getting some supplies of the hot models but as always are being very selective who they let buy them.

I must confess I feel fortunate to have a reasonably decent relationship with one particular AD who has helped me grow my collection to where it is now.

The fact I’ve never paid a dime over retail for any of them makes me enjoy them even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote