The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 October 2021, 06:09 AM   #1
messikens
"TRF" Member

Why are so many APs on Chrono24 still wrapped?

Curious question as I am lusting after a number of ungettable APs from the store.

How come the majority of the watches on Chrono24 still come with all the factory wrapping, including the blueish tape on the bracelet?

Is the boutique or the AD just selling the watch like that to end customers without having the customer trying it on / sizing the bracelet or are people applying rhe tape after they get home, decide to "flip it" and the call it "unworn"?
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:26 AM   #2
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex

Excellent question! I hope you get to the bottom of this mystery!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:56 AM   #3
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

See grey market
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 03:35 PM   #4
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Curious question as I am lusting after a number of ungettable APs from the store.

How come the majority of the watches on Chrono24 still come with all the factory wrapping, including the blueish tape on the bracelet?

Is the boutique or the AD just selling the watch like that to end customers without having the customer trying it on / sizing the bracelet or are people applying rhe tape after they get home, decide to "flip it" and the call it "unworn"?
They’ve sourced a similar film to what’s originally on the pieces in order to represent them as unworn.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:43 AM   #5
BatteryVoltas
"TRF" Member

Rolex has been requiring full sticker removal for a few years now but AP doesn't seem to have that requirement.

When I got the call earlier this year and went to collect, my SA took it out of the box to show me it was completely new and stickered and proceeded to rebox it. I thought they were going to size it by guessing my wrist size so I just went with it and paid for the watch and we chatted a little bit about my next watch.

Someone brings the AP bag over and I ask to wear it out of the store. They gave had the surprised Pikachu look, first to each other and then both to me. My buddy, quipped "we gotta make sure there's a watch in the box and not a beanie baby." We sit back down and they show me the watch again, stickered and unsized. I ended up getting it sized and wore it out of the store. They made sure to include all the stickers (I didn't ask for them).
BatteryVoltas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 02:08 AM   #6
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryVoltas View Post
Rolex has been requiring full sticker removal for a few years now but AP doesn't seem to have that requirement.

When I got the call earlier this year and went to collect, my SA took it out of the box to show me it was completely new and stickered and proceeded to rebox it. I thought they were going to size it by guessing my wrist size so I just went with it and paid for the watch and we chatted a little bit about my next watch.

Someone brings the AP bag over and I ask to wear it out of the store. They gave had the surprised Pikachu look, first to each other and then both to me. My buddy, quipped "we gotta make sure there's a watch in the box and not a beanie baby." We sit back down and they show me the watch again, stickered and unsized. I ended up getting it sized and wore it out of the store. They made sure to include all the stickers (I didn't ask for them).

I’m surprised they didn’t want you to sign a waiver against fingerprints and screwhead marks.

Smart WIS-dom on their part perhaps - pulling stickers and sizing a bracelet can trigger some buyers…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 07:53 AM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

That's the way they come from the store. Most people today have never seen that, but it's true.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 09:05 AM   #8
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
That’s how they give it to you. It was up to me if i wanted it sized or not. I left the blue sticker on the clasp until it came off on its own
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 09:46 PM   #9
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Weird. I just got two new APs. Both sized and stickers removed. No choice given
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 10:00 PM   #10
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I cant even get one so haven't even thought about the fact it might come with the blue sticker on it or not
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 03:59 AM   #11
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
That’s how they give it to you. It was up to me if i wanted it sized or not. I left the blue sticker on the clasp until it came off on its own
You wore the watch with the sticker on? Lol
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 04:01 AM   #12
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
You wore the watch with the sticker on? Lol
The blue sticker inside the middle of the butterfly clasp, yes.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 02:55 PM   #13
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Delete
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:38 AM   #14
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex

Off-topic from OP question: Interesting that some here have received their watches fully stickered direct from AP; the NYC Boutique removes all stickers except a tiny blue one inside the butterfly clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 04:05 AM   #15
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Whatcha get?
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 04:29 AM   #16
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
Whatcha get?
He’s too cool for us, he doesn’t tell us anything.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:17 PM   #17
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331ST/116710BLNR
Purchased my AP via phone/txt messages with Bal
harbor and they shipped after wire was received. Their policy on shipped
Orders was full sticker removal and bezel cover removed
Before shipping to me. They did not include any of them with shipment.
AG_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:50 AM   #18
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_Watches View Post
Purchased my AP via phone/txt messages with Bal
harbor and they shipped after wire was received. Their policy on shipped
Orders was full sticker removal and bezel cover removed
Before shipping to me. They did not include any of them with shipment.
This is consistent with what I am gathering from others I know of late. Not a huge deal in long-run, but a small joy when you’re literally the first to remove and then wear.

Is this small-sample size or now applicable across all AP Boutiques?
Old 10 December 2021, 05:58 AM   #19
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

I believe it is still boutique discretion, but got the impression AP corporate is pushing this direction to hinder the amount of new/unworn still stickered resell listings as they typically come with a premium.

It didn’t really bother me.. However, I requested they leave the bezel protector inplace for shipping purposes to protect the piece. They refused and sure enough it arrived with a horizontal scratch on the lug about 1cm wide.

I promptly communicated this to AP in which they attempted to say I did the damage. Thankfully I had a photo I had taken 2.5 minutes after the parcel delivery timeframe. So not even enough time to take the watch out of the box. Once I provided time stamped evidence that it is highly unlikely I caused this damage they offered to clean the lug up and ship it back to me which took about 7-10 days total turn around time. The watch maker was able to polish the lug without removing the movement from the case prompting pressure testing etc..

Old 10 December 2021, 06:33 AM   #20
illiguy

Quote:
I believe it is still boutique discretion, but got the impression AP corporate is pushing this direction to hinder the amount of new/unworn still stickered resell listings as they typically come with a premium.

It didn’t really bother me.. However, I requested they leave the bezel protector inplace for shipping purposes to protect the piece. They refused and sure enough it arrived with a horizontal scratch on the lug about 1cm wide.

I promptly communicated this to AP in which they attempted to say I did the damage. Thankfully I had a photo I had taken 2.5 minutes after the parcel delivery timeframe. So not even enough time to take the watch out of the box. Once I provided time stamped evidence that it is highly unlikely I caused this damage they offered to clean the lug up and ship it back to me which took about 7-10 days total turn around time. The watch maker was able to polish the lug without removing the movement from the case prompting pressure testing etc..

Ugh. This is the exact reason why it makes sense to enable the end buyer to determine. If intent is to curb flipping, how is that working out?

The scratches are inevitable, and watches are made to be worn, but frustrating no doubt when it happens to you.
Old 10 December 2021, 06:40 AM   #21
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Flippers will flipp regardless of stickers.

Yeah, they really gave me two options.

1) send it back for them to fix the 1 lug.
2) have a free polishing to be used at a later date once I put more scratches in it.

This being my first AP and also having to wait for 2 single links to be mailed from AP factory I opted to have it fixed then so I could fully enjoy my first AP and am glad I did!

Old 10 December 2021, 07:36 AM   #22
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That is interesting. I got a brand new ceramic offshore from a grey dealer and it had a mark on it. AP took it and buffed it out without any issue. I didn't even buy from a AD or boutique. That was my first AP experience some time ago.

I slipped one time and broke the clasp on my 15500 and they fixed it for free too, even though it was clearly my fault. I'm surprised they gave you a hard time.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:55 AM   #23
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
They’ve sourced a similar film to what’s originally on the pieces in order to represent them as unworn.
mine came fully stickered from miami boutique. so doubt it's all just sourced blue stickers from a 3rd party.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:22 AM   #24
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I’m surprised to see a scratch like that on a ceramic. Thought they were practically impervious to them.
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:23 AM   #25
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I’m surprised to see a scratch like that on a ceramic. Thought they were practically impervious to them.

It’s steel. Think the black from the AP box is reflecting in it.

26331ST-Panda