The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2021, 12:24 PM   #1
stevestil
"TRF" Member

AD in NYC or surrounding areas (not looking to get any stainless models, lol)

Hello all-

Just wanted to get a recommendation from someone who has a great relationship with a sales associate at a Rolex AD. I am not looking to name drop or use anyone in here as a reference, nor am I looking to walk in and obtain any pieces that everyone else is salivating over currently.

Looking to purchase a gift for my wife (probably a datejust, or something along those lines) as we are having our first child in January, and would love to build a relationship with someone for my future purchases as well even if they may not be Rolex’s…If I get to the point where I’m “exclusive enough” to be considered for a call for certain watches I want, that’s great. If not- I really don’t care. I just want to support an AD and a sales associate who deserves my money.

In my opinion, a lot do not just based on how I have been treated lately while walking in to certain AD’s.
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:53 PM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Bucherer, WEMPE, and WOS… (but you probably already knew that).
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Wempe is great, but if it’s just a womens Datejust you’re after, you have options.

I do feel for my NYC brothers though, and Chicago, Philly, San Francisco, LA - it’s very hard to build relationships with AD’s when you’re competing against some serious whale spend. It’s been my experience that a mid-market AD is a little easier to get noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:28 PM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Given your location, time of the year and current level of demand / supply you are more than likely be simply handled by the AD in regards to acquiring Rolex. Unfortunately it's just too late.

You would stand a better chance far out of NYC, but still not great for a Rolex.

You will have to start off with another watch brand at this point. Cartier, Omega, Breitling....all easily available with no effort on your part other than getting to the store (or visiting their website) and paying for it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:39 PM   #5
JH419
"TRF" Member

WEMPE gets my vote. Just be honest and don't act like a fool like everyone else upset about why they can't get stainless steel models. They treat everyone exceptionally well. Repeating customers or not.
JH419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:57 PM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
Wempe is great, but if it’s just a womens Datejust you’re after, you have options.

I do feel for my NYC brothers though, and Chicago, Philly, San Francisco, LA - it’s very hard to build relationships with AD’s when you’re competing against some serious whale spend. It’s been my experience that a mid-market AD is a little easier to get noticed.

Wempe is the only one on the list I've been into, but always liked going in and looking around, as they have many other interesting brands, too (never been into a WoS stateside but looks like they do, too).

Not sure about the other markets, but at least with Chicago there are a lot of options within a 90min drive, and unlike others (at least NY and SF) many more fit that mid-market profile (Schaumburg, Addison, Milwaukee, Rockford).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:09 PM   #7
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I second Wempe. I always deal with Donny, super nice guy.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:25 PM   #8
stevestil
"TRF" Member

i am actually dropping off my TT daytona at RSC today or tomorrow so i will probably pop in to Wempe and browse. Do they have Omegas?
Old 22 October 2021, 01:03 AM   #9
jerseydan31
"TRF" Member

I've given up as far as ADs are concerned. I've been told politely to 'go away' (by 3 separate ADs). At one AD while I was visiting, someone just walked in and walked out with a SS model....basically I told the SA why was that person any better than me???? NO ANSWER....we all know the answer. That was the final straw that broke 'my' back.

They basically want folks to go there every day to beg and plead....no thank you!

Got other priorities in life. It's become a ridiculous game. Thank goodness found my grail model for not that much over retail (40mm Sub Ceramic). The last 'attainable' SS Rolex watch at the moment. Everything else is off limits.

...and we all can safely say that Rolex loves what's going on! Puts them in super luxury watch unobtanium territory.

Good for them...better for those whom are tired of the game. It's called CLOSURE! Sorry to be such a sour puss. It's a sad situation where all of the fanboys pay the price.
jerseydan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:11 AM   #10
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydan31 View Post
I've given up as far as ADs are concerned. I've been told politely to 'go away' (by 3 separate ADs). At one AD while I was visiting, someone just walked in and walked out with a SS model....basically I told the SA why was that person any better than me???? NO ANSWER....we all know the answer. That was the final straw that broke 'my' back.

They basically want folks to go there every day to beg and plead....no thank you!

Got other priorities in life. It's become a ridiculous game. Thank goodness found my grail model for not that much over retail (40mm Sub Ceramic). The last 'attainable' SS Rolex watch at the moment. Everything else is off limits.

...and we all can safely say that Rolex loves what's going on! Puts them in super luxury watch unobtanium territory.

Good for them...better for those whom are tired of the game. It's called CLOSURE! Sorry to be such a sour puss. It's a sad situation where all of the fanboys pay the price.

I’d have to agree.

A bit ridiculous and it’s getting very annoying. I try not to talk about it too much because eventually I sound very salty but the truth is……..I am

Old 22 October 2021, 01:34 AM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
You have no idea how long that customer had been waiting for that delivery or how long they have been a client of that store. Taking care of your existing customers first is Business 101 and that’s what AD’s do, not a game.
Sorry for your experiences but with demand being exponentionally higher than supply right now, it’s a tough time to be a new customer.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:37 AM   #12
jerseydan31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
You have no idea how long that customer had been waiting for that delivery or how long they have been a client of that store. Taking care of your existing customers first is Business 101 and that’s what AD’s do, not a game.
Sorry for your experiences but with demand being exponentionally higher than supply right now, it’s a tough time to be a new customer.
You are right....but at that AD I've bought 3 other watches in the past....so technically I'm a current customer...

Nothing. It made my point that the person pulled in a Maserati SUV!

hehe!
jerseydan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:42 AM   #13
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i understand that, and completely respect that. i am not saying i am better than the customer who has been waiting for X amount of time. I am in sales, and know that your customers come first.

on the other hand, if a client calls me to potentially give me business, i wouldn't tell him sorry but im too busy right now and laugh in their face. for all i know, that client over the phone can potentially make me a lot of money.

i think what angers me more is the treatment and the snobby attitude, not the fact that you cannot obtain certain timepieces.
Old 22 October 2021, 02:44 AM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would think the dealers DO NOT want people to show up every day and beg and plead. They want people to buy other things, working into a ROLEX or hit the bricks and leave them alone. That's basically it.

As for Rolex, this is a culmination of years of marketing excellence, so I would expect them to be pleased with their work.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 02:59 AM   #15
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry for your experiences but with demand being exponentially higher than supply right now, it’s a tough time to be a new customer.
Spot on! Right now, ADs have the very tough job of rewarding loyal Rolex customers AND sharing the Rolex love with new customers.

But the executive at Seddiqi said it best:

We have to tell customers that if they want to buy a watch, they have to be a customer of the brand. I cannot give you a Daytona as your first Rolex. You have to have a DateJust, you have to have an Oyster Perpetual, you have to have a gold watch.

You have to demonstrate loyalty to the brand when demand is through the roof. And a customer does that by purchasing models across the range and not demanding super hot flippable pieces as their first purchase.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 03:50 AM   #16
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post
i am actually dropping off my TT daytona at RSC today or tomorrow so i will probably pop in to Wempe and browse. Do they have Omegas?
Wempe is the best AFAIK no Omegas. They're across the street tho lol

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 04:32 AM   #17
boywithakoi
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126720VTNR
Everyone's already mentioned the big AD's in the city so I'll recommend a smaller one I've had great experiences with. Lorilil Jewelers in Forest Hills gets my vote. Even walking in with no purchase history I was treated with respect and fairness.
Old 22 October 2021, 04:59 AM   #18
tongest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Unless you're getting a solid gold ladies piece, even lady Rolexes are going to be low in stock in NYC
tongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 05:21 AM   #19
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH419 View Post
WEMPE gets my vote. Just be honest and don't act like a fool like everyone else upset about why they can't get stainless steel models. They treat everyone exceptionally well. Repeating customers or not.

The one in the same building as RSC in NYC is great. They were very nice to me even though they knew I wasn’t going to buy anything.

If you are traveling to Virgina, Crown Jewlers in Fredericksburg is a mom and pop AD in an area that doesn’t have a lot of big spenders (small town). I have not purchased from them but visited them once. They offered me a batman once. Just a recommendation.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 06:27 AM   #20
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
No Omegas. They only sell at their own boutique on the other side of Fifth Avenue.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 07:45 AM   #21
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
No Omegas. They only sell at their own boutique on the other side of Fifth Avenue.

I went there a few weeks ago. I have been eyeing a speedmaster moon phase For quite some time and considering selling my current speedy to acquire it.

Old 22 October 2021, 07:55 AM   #22
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
my wife wants a white daytona, so i'm sh*t outta luck everywhere.

Quote:
Hello all-

Just wanted to get a recommendation from someone who has a great relationship with a sales associate at a Rolex AD. I am not looking to name drop or use anyone in here as a reference, nor am I looking to walk in and obtain any pieces that everyone else is salivating over currently.

Looking to purchase a gift for my wife (probably a datejust, or something along those lines) as we are having our first child in January, and would love to build a relationship with someone for my future purchases as well even if they may not be Rolex’s…If I get to the point where I’m “exclusive enough” to be considered for a call for certain watches I want, that’s great. If not- I really don’t care. I just want to support an AD and a sales associate who deserves my money.

In my opinion, a lot do not just based on how I have been treated lately while walking in to certain AD’s.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 07:57 AM   #23
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
my wife wants a white daytona, so i'm sh*t outta luck everywhere.

Mine does too she’s been driving me crazy but I told her to get it out of her head because I’m not spending 35K+ on it lol

Old 23 October 2021, 12:24 AM   #24
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for your feedback

Old 23 October 2021, 03:49 AM   #25
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
For an amazing selection of dozens of brands, (not Rolex) within a short drive of the city I highly recommend Manfredi in Greenwich. Fantastic selection of Omega, Zenith, Vacheron, Chopard, UN, Breguet, F.P. Journe, GP, Grand Seko and many more They have a Rolex store just a few miles away in New Canaan but nothing in the case.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 05:46 AM   #26
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Hello all-

Ladies datejust should be obtainable somewhere in area?
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 07:25 AM   #27
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Ladies datejust should be obtainable somewhere in area?

Yes, 3-6 month wait (allegedly)