The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2019, 12:36 PM   #1
nigelk
"TRF" Member

Help needed: Rolex 16570 Explorer Hands

Hi there!

I recently bought a polar explorer ii 16570 on chrono24. Can anyone enlighten me if these hands seem to be service hands?

The seller has mentioned that the Rolex AD which he bought it from claims its 100% original.

It might be original no doubt but its definitely for the black dial variant and not for this watch?

Given that the watch is a swiss only dial, it should have been long past the white gold surrounds on white dial on the 16550 as well as the white gold hands of the 16550.

Somebody please help me as I would have to decide if I would want to return it asap!

nigelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Ticked_off
"TRF" Member

You're right in your assumptions. The hands are not original to that watch

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Ticked_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 12:59 PM   #3
lyebin
"TRF" Member

the hands should be black. same colour as the black surround indexes.
lyebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 01:49 PM   #4
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

So your watch is a 16570 from 98-99? If so, the hands should be black, and those hands are not service hands, but somebody (or an independent watchmaker) has placed those hands there. Rolex Service Center would not put white gold hands on a 16570.
Old 2 October 2019, 03:47 PM   #5
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyebin View Post
the hands should be black. same colour as the black surround indexes.

I might be missing something. OP's watch seemed to have black hands and in sync with the hour markers surround

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 06:33 PM   #6
nigelk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
I might be missing something. OP's watch seemed to have black hands and in sync with the hour markers surround

haha exactly! from the first photo i couldnt tell that they were the white gold surround hands because the photo was taken under some shade or something. thats why the hands are reflecting back "black"

As were the pics with the chrono24 ad. Seller did not mention anything about it at all. sigh
Old 2 October 2019, 06:36 PM   #7
nigelk
"TRF" Member

Funny thing is, the seller said it was Rolex AD who said the hands were original and I was trying to tell him they might be original but they are not correct.

Long story short, Bad experience on Chrono24, i have sent the watch to RSC to get the hands sorted as well as a service because they do not simply change the hands, they would need you to do a service as well. (Thankfully they still had luminova hands which would match the dial)

I guess the lesson learnt here is to never buy from Chrono24. Apparently, shipping back to the seller is not covered when such a thing happens. Also, the import taxes I paid are also not covered. Wow. Just wow.

I might do a post on the chrono24 story if I have the time.

Thank you all for your input!
Old 2 October 2019, 07:42 PM   #8
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelk View Post
Funny thing is, the seller said it was Rolex AD who said the hands were original and I was trying to tell him they might be original but they are not correct.

Long story short, Bad experience on Chrono24, i have sent the watch to RSC to get the hands sorted as well as a service because they do not simply change the hands, they would need you to do a service as well. (Thankfully they still had luminova hands which would match the dial)

I guess the lesson learnt here is to never buy from Chrono24. Apparently, shipping back to the seller is not covered when such a thing happens. Also, the import taxes I paid are also not covered. Wow. Just wow.

I might do a post on the chrono24 story if I have the time.

Thank you all for your input!

If the hands are not black, they're definitely off as I have 16570 with similar year. If you're paying thru PayPal, do they have some sort of purchase protection?

JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 07:56 PM   #9
nigelk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
If the hands are not black, they're definitely off as I have 16570 with similar year. If you're paying thru PayPal, do they have some sort of purchase protection?

its only through chrono24's trusted checkout. Chrono24 will promise you the world when it comes to escrow and middleman services. But apparently, its not for all watches on chrono24. I guess I had to read the fine print to know that private dealers on chrono24 are not covered ?!!?

Plus return shipping fees, import taxes to my country and back to theirs are not covered. so all in all its a whole lot of fees.

basically, im gonna stay off chrono24 now, I would now rather touch hold and feel the actual watch in my hands.
Old 2 October 2019, 11:30 PM   #10
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelk View Post
its only through chrono24's trusted checkout. Chrono24 will promise you the world when it comes to escrow and middleman services. But apparently, its not for all watches on chrono24. I guess I had to read the fine print to know that private dealers on chrono24 are not covered ?!!?

Plus return shipping fees, import taxes to my country and back to theirs are not covered. so all in all its a whole lot of fees.

basically, im gonna stay off chrono24 now, I would now rather touch hold and feel the actual watch in my hands.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s a nice looking daily watch. Looks really good on that nato, btw.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 11:42 PM   #11
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with chrono 24. Good for public to know these, so thanks for sharing.

It is going to be a beautiful addition to your collection when all is said and done with RSC.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 12:03 AM   #12
javier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s a nice looking daily watch. Looks really good on that nato, btw.
Yes indeed !!!!
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 02:04 AM   #13
nigelk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
thank you! :) hopefully RSC can make it right as day again. I guess it kinda feels nice too knowing rolex serviced it and the parts inside to out every single thing is 100% original.
Old 3 October 2019, 02:07 AM   #14
nigelk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with chrono 24. Good for public to know these, so thanks for sharing.

It is going to be a beautiful addition to your collection when all is said and done with RSC.

Yeap, lesson learnt. hopefully others can benefit from this as well.

That said, not all Rolex ADs like where the guy bought the watch from are 100% honest as well. so I guess same rule applies, gotta buy the seller first before buying the watch.
Old 3 October 2019, 04:11 AM   #15
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Both of mine (40 and 42) had black hands. I've never seen any other color on Polar Explorer II.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16570 , explorer , rolex