The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 31 March 2016, 06:28 AM   #1
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Icon5 My Collection - Clash of the Watches; what's next?

After a very long hiatus of having no watches, I’m back in the game. Even before the hiatus, I hadn’t really collected anything of note other than a few art watches that were stolen in a burglary at my previous abode. I convinced myself, “who needs a watch when you got an iPhone” but than Apple put out the Apple Watch and I purchased one in steel.

It was a ‘costly mistake’ because than I decided that I needed watches after all and the miniature iPhone on a wrist wasn’t enough; a ‘real’ watch was needed and one that was no less high-tech than the Apple Watch. Named after the first quartz watch, the modern Seiko Astron SSE079 is powered by any level of rumination and synchronizes with GPS to provide precision accuracy, even accounting for leap seconds.

Than I decided that I must have a traditional mechanical watch but not just any mechanical watch; I wanted the ultimate symbol of excellence - Rolex. The desire in part stemmed from an unfortunate mistake of the past. Many moons ago, I was stationed in Turkey and purchased a fake Rolex sub. Even in my young & dumb days, I realized it was a foolish blunder as soon I wore the thing; being a low-life poser was not in my DNA. As I tossed the fake into the garbage, I thought perhaps one day I’ll get a real one and that day was Saturday last as acquired the BLNR.

One would think after getting a Rolex, it would be enough but it’s not - I’ve been day dreaming about a fine manual watch to round it all out. Perhaps a JLC Reverso Duo, a Speedster “Man on the Moon”, or even a Calatrava. What would you recommend?

RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 06:42 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Oh if you like very sporty and have the funds I would recomment a AP ceramic diver, discontinued but you can find a few on sale, chrono24 for example, it is an awesome watch, if you want a little cheaper then you have the diver in SS.
Now if younwant dressy sporty, the best one for me ismthe Patek 5712, but the price is a little steep so the 5711 is awesome as well, or you have the AP version, the 15202, or for less the 15400, if you do just get in blue dial please, and while the BLNR is a very nice watch, had it, congrats, Rolex ismnowhere near the level of AP or Patek, you also have Lange and a few others, won't talk about RM here as they are very pricey, after going from 10 to 1 watch, ok have more but wear just one, and 2 are on sale, a Pam and a Blancpain, I am building up a little and have 2 Patek on order,ma 5712 in SS and a 5167R, R being rose gold in Patek refs. The level of comfort between Rolex and Patek/AP is galaxies apart.
But still congrats on the Rolex,mwore mine as my beater for 5 months
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Get some long term VFM in your collection

If you think the "classic" collections often have a mix of watches: dress watch, chrono, diver, and maybe a travel watch then check! You've got the last one. You're 25% there.

Dress: the Reverso is a great dress up and down watch. Different straps for summer, different straps for dress up and winter. It has a pedigree second to none.

Chrono: the Speedmaster also has a pedigree second to none. There are any number of variations so do your homework for what you really like. There are also a million and one straps and bracelet options that will keep the watch feeling fresh.

Diver: Rolex Sub is the classic. Again there are many variations to check out. Add NATO straps to keep it fresh also.

The beauty of these 3 watches is that in the US you can pick all 3 up for between $12k - $15k used, if you're smart about your shopping. That will likely give you a lot more pleasure as a combination of watches than buying one watch in the next tier up. With these 3 you can wear them without fear all day and everyday, instead of nannying something expensive.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 09:12 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
If you think the "classic" collections often have a mix of watches: dress watch, chrono, diver, and maybe a travel watch then check! You've got the last one. You're 25% there.

Dress: the Reverso is a great dress up and down watch. Different straps for summer, different straps for dress up and winter. It has a pedigree second to none.

Chrono: the Speedmaster also has a pedigree second to none. There are any number of variations so do your homework for what you really like. There are also a million and one straps and bracelet options that will keep the watch feeling fresh.

Diver: Rolex Sub is the classic. Again there are many variations to check out. Add NATO straps to keep it fresh also.

The beauty of these 3 watches is that in the US you can pick all 3 up for between $12k - $15k used, if you're smart about your shopping. That will likely give you a lot more pleasure as a combination of watches than buying one watch in the next tier up. With these 3 you can wear them without fear all day and everyday, instead of nannying something expensive.
Well I also went through the more is better phase, 4 rolex, 3 panerai, 2 Omega, 1 Blancpain, 2 Patek and 1 AP, but I definitely prefer my AP ceramic diver to the 3 watches you say plus even one more to get the price equal, and I don't nanny my watches, I wear them 24/7 am just careful with them but that's it, but I understand that the OP is at the beginning of his journey and that you can't go from a blnr to a 20+K watch, you need to get there, which means getting watches a little more expensive each time, that is why buying them at the best price is important as you will flip them when your tastes change or when you want to upgrade, good luck
Old 31 March 2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

It's a journey that can take as long as you like. It can be as expensive as you like. And it can be as complicated as you like. You do it if and when you feel comfortable with wearing the upgraded watch everyday and have the resources to buy it. The thing to avoid is the feeding frenzy of buying for the instant gratification of opening a new box and seeing a shiny new watch. You can keep it simple and cover your bases and keep breadth in your collection, unless do something like focus on one brand and one model line.

The smart way is to start by building a base line collection - he is a rational pragmatist after all - then switch out specific pieces if you feel the need to. It's also worth having specific pieces to aim for as opposed to just buying randomly.

For example:

Take out the Reverso and replace by a pm Reverso, or maybe buy a a pre owned Lange 1.

Chrono - trade up to an AP ROC in ss or maybe a pre owned Patek 5980

Dive - trade out to a Panerai or maybe an AP RO Diver

Travel - take out the BLNR and replace with a Patek 5264
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 05:10 AM   #6
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Whats your budget?

And Omega Speedmaster, PAM manual wind or a Chronograph of some kind is nice
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 05:39 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

If you desire a manual wind then a Reverso is an excellent piece. I would recommend looking at a Lange 1. Congrats on the BLNR.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 05:47 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Le Chef is absolutely right especially that if you upgrade you need to be comfortable wearing them, for'now my comfort zone is around 30-35k, when I had my 2 Patek i had no problem wearing them 24/7, at a point I could buy a RM or a Lange datograph perpetual, after I flipped a few watches and I realized I wouldn't be comfortable wearing watches at those price points, maybe I will one day but now I have 2 Patek on order and the retail on both is 35k, of course I am paying less but in any case don't buy a watch that you will never wear by fear of damaging it or theft, watches are meant to be worn, after depends on your tastes, sure some want a dress watch and a chrono, I don't care for either, once I get my 2 Patek the 3 I will wear, not counting the 4 others I have but never wear, 2 i am'keepingnfor sentimental reasons and 2 I am selling, I will have a ceramic AP'diver, a SS PP 5712 and a RG Patek 5167R, so basically sporty or sporty dressy, 2 simple time and date and one with moon phase and power reserve, to be honest Inwould benfine with the SS and ceramic, but Inkinda want a RG on rubber, so we will'see how that goes...
Old 1 April 2016, 11:30 PM   #9
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

That is quite a price range you mentioned - a Speedy to a Patek. Maybe get a price range and if you want something more sporty or dressy. That could help us give you some meaningful opinions.

Tags
apple , collection , rolex , seiko