The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 December 2016, 05:53 AM   #1
fizz
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on this buckley Datejust I happen to like

I've had a few back and forth discussions with the seller and he's settled on a price of 2.8k USD.

This comes with box and papers. Model is 16030 dated to 1983.

Does the price seem fair?

What about the pics? Looks ok and not too overly polished. Dial is clean and aging is consistent.

Seller unfortunately can't provide caseback pictures but says there is a 30 day return period if anything is amiss.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buckley 1.jpg (84.8 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg Buckley 2.jpg (89.1 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Buckley 3.jpg (90.1 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg Buckley 4.jpg (79.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg Buckley 6.jpg (99.9 KB, 287 views)
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 05:59 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Looking at the condition of the clasp I would insist on seeing the caseback.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 06:06 AM   #3
fizz
"TRF" Member

Like I said, I've asked and he's declined saying he doesn't have the tools so we are at a deadlock. This is the only other pic that shows what the closed caseback looks like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buckley 7.jpg (105.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 18 December 2016, 06:20 AM   #4
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Are you OK with the price? If so, ask the seller to either get a watchmaker to get the back off, or accept PayPal - they are really good (too good) with buyer protection.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 06:28 AM   #5
fizz
"TRF" Member

Price seems ok from the research that I've done, all things considered (comes with box and papers, not that I'm specifically after those things).

I will try the watch maker option. What do others think of the condition overall?
Old 18 December 2016, 07:13 AM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Looks all good from here, clasp is a bit heavily polished bit the case appears ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 December 2016, 09:25 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Nice watch and gorgeous Buckley dial. I don't see any over-polishing issues at all. Nice condition for its age and the the coronet on the clasp is very visible so I would not call it over-polished either. The bracelet is correct with all 22 links and the correct end links. The clasp date code should be G, H or possibly I based on the serial number.

It seems to be a reasonable price for a complete set.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 11:25 AM   #8
panerai123
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak Offsh
Rolex Datejust Buckley

Congratulations for the catch, watch looks great in pictures, I do not know about the price but I can tell you that based on the boxes and documents the watch was probably bought in a local (Caracas) store called Arte Katyno that used to be a good Rolex AD until the late eighties, the store closed on the early 90s. The buckle seems to be dirty with dust and grime but it is not rusted, at list from the picture shown.

Let us know the outcome. Rafael from Caracas
panerai123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 11:46 AM   #9
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, any service history? There's a 1601 no BP or bracelet for about the same price on VRF. With a 30 day inspection I would probably give it a go.

I'm a fan of the painted Roman myself. This is a 1984 16030 with a gold crown dial from a gold model. I like the bit of warmth it gives the watch. I also have a spare dial tucked away awaiting a donor. :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 02:24 PM   #10
Onx
"TRF" Member

Wow that looks amazing richard! May I know where do you source the strap and buckle from?
Onx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 02:56 PM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I've had the strap over 15 years, the brand is Aero. It's a middling French brand. The deployant was made by a guy who used to hang out in the forums named Igor from Las Vegas, haven't seen him in a while.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 05:40 PM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Looks good.

However, I bought a Tudor (not from this seller) that went kaput after about five weeks and needed a whole new movement, so I don't put much value on an X-day return period. If there's a year's movement guarantee, now you're talking.

You pays your money and you takes your chance with vintage. Achetez le vendeur...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 06:07 AM   #13
fizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Nice watch and gorgeous Buckley dial. I don't see any over-polishing issues at all. Nice condition for its age and the the coronet on the clasp is very visible so I would not call it over-polished either. The bracelet is correct with all 22 links and the correct end links. The clasp date code should be G, H or possibly I based on the serial number.

It seems to be a reasonable price for a complete set.
Thanks Springer...that's a very thorough assessment, especially coming from a pro like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai123 View Post
Congratulations for the catch, watch looks great in pictures, I do not know about the price but I can tell you that based on the boxes and documents the watch was probably bought in a local (Caracas) store called Arte Katyno that used to be a good Rolex AD until the late eighties, the store closed on the early 90s. The buckle seems to be dirty with dust and grime but it is not rusted, at list from the picture shown.

Let us know the outcome. Rafael from Caracas
I'm amazed...you have a very keen eye. Impressive.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I think the pics show dust not rust and it looks ok to me. I understand that inspection periods don't mean much so buying from a trusted or reputed sellers is key which is what I'm relying on with this.

I will go back to the seller and ask if he can take it to a watchmaker and open it up. Let's see how it goes.
Old 19 December 2016, 06:10 AM   #14
fizz
"TRF" Member

And while we're at it...came across another seller offering a 1981 buckley. This one looks cleaner and in better condition but the patina isn't as eye popping compared to the first one. Price is about the same and it comes with service papers.

What do you guys think of this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buckley NEW.jpg (58.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Buckley NEW 2.jpg (71.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 19 December 2016, 04:28 PM   #15
d.edwards
"TRF" Member

Question: With the Buckley dials, I thought the hands should match the numbers. Black numbers, black hands. White numbers, white hands. Is this not true?
d.edwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16030 , datejust , rolex , vintage